PDA

View Full Version : koni or tokico?

Numi
01-09-2008, 06:20 PM
So im in the market for some new struts since my last set blew when i changed the suspension setting. So im either looking at a set of tokico illumina http://www.hitachi-hap-la.com/TokicoGasShocks/products/illumina/
or a set of koni yellow sport struts
http://www.koni-na.com/sport.cfm

Anyone own a set of these struts or does anyone recomend one?

GTS Jeff
01-09-2008, 06:21 PM
What car is this for and how will it be used?

Koni Yellows are regarded as the best shocks you can use for all-out grip.

buh_buh
01-09-2008, 06:32 PM
koni yellow hands down

ken.bryle21
01-09-2008, 06:35 PM
koniw yellow FTW.......i have them and loving them........:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kaos
01-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Koni Yellow's!!!
Lifetime warranty!!!

Tokico suck!!!

tsi_neal
01-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
What car is this for and how will it be used?

Koni Yellows are regarded as the best shocks you can use for all-out grip.

Koni's are very nice for the price but calling them the best? im not so sure about that, i can think of a long list of FAR better dampers off the top of my head. Makes me wonder who regards them as the best?

Fusion
01-09-2008, 07:35 PM
I use to have Koni full coilover long time ago, its not that great..Just put Ksport on my prelude which is so much better
700 bucks to my door
http://www.ksportusa.com/asp/coilovers.asp

JRSC00LUDE
01-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by tsi_neal

Koni's are very nice for the price but calling them the best? im not so sure about that, i can think of a long list of FAR better dampers off the top of my head. Makes me wonder who regards them as the best?

Well Koni yellow's are the hands down consensus winner from anyone I've talked to in the 5G prelude community for one.

tsi_neal
01-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Well Koni yellow's are the hands down consensus winner from anyone I've talked to in the 5G prelude community for one.

as a stock replacement maybe? seriously a single adjustment on a shock is hardly high end stuff... Im not trashing koni, i run them in one car and like them, for the money they are great but nowhere near the best.

a set of 4 konis is typically around 800 bucks... high end stuff starts at around 1k per corner. when i think the best i think high end stuff.

Toms-SC
01-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Koni Yellows

max_boost
01-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Koni Yellow > Tokico

I have used Koni Yellows on 3 different cars now, I doubt I would buy anything else. Price, quality, and performance is perfect for daily driving :D

buh_buh
01-09-2008, 10:45 PM

as a stock replacement maybe? seriously a single adjustment on a shock is hardly high end stuff... Im not trashing koni, i run them in one car and like them, for the money they are great but nowhere near the best.

a set of 4 konis is typically around 800 bucks... high end stuff starts at around 1k per corner. when i think the best i think high end stuff. well, the OP was asking about a single shock absorber, and not about a full coilover kit. Nobody said anything about Koni Yellows being the end all be all of all suspension setups. He was asking about Koni Yellow vs Tokico Illuminas. So in this case, Koni is the best. If he was looking to spend $1k per corner, he wouldn't be debating between these two.

Even if you go on honda-tech, most people will tell you Koni Yellows are one of the best shocks you can buy for a Civic without going to a full coilover kit.

Numi
01-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Its going in a 93 civic hatchback with integra type R LCR's. Just the rears. I already have apex'i adjustable springs. Havn't gone to the track yet but am thinking about it this summer although im running stock engine :(

tsi_neal
01-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
well, the OP was asking about a single shock absorber, and not about a full coilover kit. Nobody said anything about Koni Yellows being the end all be all of all suspension setups. He was asking about Koni Yellow vs Tokico Illuminas. So in this case, Koni is the best. If he was looking to spend $1k per corner, he wouldn't be debating between these two.

Even if you go on honda-tech, most people will tell you Koni Yellows are one of the best shocks you can buy for a Civic without going to a full coilover kit.

Im not talking about coil over setups either, and actually someone did say "Koni Yellows are regarded as the best shocks you can use for all-out grip". I totally agree that in this case konis are the right choice. but was arguing they arent the best.

Numi
01-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Also wondering if i should buy off the net?
50$ cheaper than at speedtech but they said shipping might end up costing more when they come to your door. 309 online with their shipping included and 356 at speedtech.

GTS Jeff
01-10-2008, 12:58 AM

Im not talking about coil over setups either, and actually someone did say "Koni Yellows are regarded as the best shocks you can use for all-out grip". I totally agree that in this case konis are the right choice. but was arguing they arent the best. So as you're trying to explain yourself, are you at all feeling like a douchebag yet?

Or do you take everything you read to be completely literal?

2EFNFAST
01-10-2008, 01:57 AM
No idea what koni yellows are (well, okay, i do know now that I googled them :D ), but I'm using custom race built DA Konis

http://www.levyracing.com/images/products/Konis_400x300.jpg

5stars from me.

buh_buh
01-10-2008, 04:09 AM
you get a cookie

03ozwhip
01-10-2008, 11:49 AM
my buddy is looking for some new struts for his S-Tech lowered Protege(not speed) and was looking into Tokico blues to finish it off. he MAY try auto x this year but its mostly for daily driving. is this a decent setup for the driving hes planning on doing?

katana9x4
01-10-2008, 12:37 PM
So as you're trying to explain yourself, are you at all feeling like a douchebag yet?

haha, he's right though jeff - and face it, I can picture you taking somebody literally and making a complete ass out of them... at least this guy isn't calling you names :rolleyes:

speedracer
01-10-2008, 12:59 PM

Im not talking about coil over setups either, and actually someone did say "Koni Yellows are regarded as the best shocks you can use for all-out grip". I totally agree that in this case konis are the right choice. but was arguing they arent the best.

So as you're trying to explain yourself, are you at all feeling like a douchebag yet?

tsi_neal makes a valid point. It all depends on the application of use. There are so many factors in order to give the "best grip" with a lot to sacrifice for ride and comfort for street.

Between brands there will always be Brand A vs Brand B.

Ideally if someone has a setup to your car I would go for a ride along and see if you like it.

What's wrong with Tokico Illuminas? I've driven on them on a MX5 on the road course along with a one that had Koni Yellow --> Both seemed to do a good job.

The guy with Tokico has trophy's so it can't be all that bad - lol

Graham_A_M
01-10-2008, 06:28 PM

......:nut: I honestly dont know why your instigating a fight with that person, hes merely voicing his opinion:dunno:

EDIT: while were on this topic, whats your guys' opinions on Penski & Blistein shocks as well?

GTS Jeff
01-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

......:nut: I honestly dont know why your instigating a fight with that person, hes merely voicing his opinion:dunno: Because all his opinion is, is just him nitpicking SEMANTICS. I hate it when people do that. I said it was the best, and I obviously meant it in the context of this situation, yet tsi_neal has to come in and read it as meaning the best shock ever made in the history of mankind.

I'm not instigating a fight, I'm just wondering why on earth anyone could be so literal. Life has got to be tough for someone like that.

97'Scort
01-10-2008, 09:18 PM
I'm looking at the Koni kit for my car (struts and springs) and, especially for my purposes, they are perfect. All I want is a little drop and damping adjustment. And I can get the kit for $675 from the US. Pretty good, no?

R!zz0
01-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Abit pricey but I heard nothing but good things about Koni's.
I'm gonna search and see what people say about KYB. I want to lower my ride and i'm not sure on what shocks to go with.

GTS Jeff
01-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
Abit pricey but I heard nothing but good things about Koni's.
I'm gonna search and see what people say about KYB. I want to lower my ride and i'm not sure on what shocks to go with. GR2s = shit
AGX = decent, but overly high compression valving.

thinmyster
01-12-2008, 05:48 PM
i have tokico struts with no complains but kinda wish i went koni just because my car sits so low that apparently koni are the only ones that can "handle" the drop. i cant remember the exact reason why

GTS Jeff
01-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster
i have tokico struts with no complains but kinda wish i went koni just because my car sits so low that apparently koni are the only ones that can "handle" the drop. i cant remember the exact reason why It's because the damping rates on Konis stay consistent with ride height. On other shocks, the more you compress them, the "stiffer" they are.

eur0
01-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Would yellows + springs be much different from Tein Basics in terms of ride quality?

They're about the same price from ebay.

buh_buh
01-12-2008, 08:52 PM
I'd go yellows + springs.
Tein basics aren't up to regular Tein standards imo.

Graham_A_M
01-12-2008, 10:03 PM
It's because the damping rates on Konis stay consistent with ride height. On other shocks, the more you compress them, the "stiffer" they are.

Cool, thats good to know.

So..... can ANYBODY help me out with the Penski & Blistien question?