PDA

View Full Version : Anyone did Dinan upgrade for their BMW 335?

>Percy<
01-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Wondering if anyone did this Dinan upgrade to their 335 yet? I knew a few 335's been done with this in Calgary and I am still deciding.
Any comment will be appreciated.... ;)

-Percy

JAYMEZ
01-09-2008, 08:12 PM
You should give the guys at Tunerworks a call , I remember someone mentioning the Dinan upgrade on a 335.. Anyways you cant go wrong with Dinan! I hope to go Dinan when I get another BMW. :thumbsup:

Edit: Going to move to BMW section.

WBB6
01-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Hi,

I highly suggest the Vishnu software for the 335!

email me if you have any questions: [email protected]

benyl
01-10-2008, 11:22 AM
There are two problems with Dinan.

Sure they cover your warranty, but who will cover it?

1. So many stories of Dinan saying BMW should cover it and then BMW saying it is a Dinan problem. Go back and forth, back and forth.

2. You will most likely have to upgrade to their oil cooler as well. I am waiting for stories from people who did Dinan that were denied warranty because they didn't upgrade on Dinan's recommendation.

Have you heard a price on Dinan upgrades? I have heard that Calgary BMW wants $2300. That is $500 more than US Dinan dealers want as the price is already coming down from the $2K release price.

I have a 2008 335, so I would have to send my ECU out. I am waiting to see what else comes out... plus I only have 700kms on the car!

>Percy<
01-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Here's what I have been offered by Calgary BMW:
$2,000 for parts + $120 for labour (1 hour) + tax
** Mine is 2007 April production 335 Cab, that is why I do not need a new oil cooler and it is cheaper. As what I was told any 335 before Mar 07 production will cost extra $2,500 for new oil cooler and year 2008 335's need to send their ECU out for upgrade **
It will still be cover under BMW's 4 yrs/80,000 km warranty

However, my friend spend $1,400 to put the aftermarket chip in his 335i but when he bought his car for oil change, he need to remove the chip first. Plus HP only increase to 370 or something...

I think with Dinan still under warranty sounds like a better choice, right?

Hakkola
01-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by &gt;Percy&lt;
Plus HP only increase to 370 or something...

LOL. :rofl:

benyl
01-10-2008, 04:46 PM
370 is more than what you will get from Dinan.

Weapon_R
01-10-2008, 05:11 PM
I thought the vishnu upgrade was undetectable by BMW dealers? If that's the case, just buy that and remove it for servicing and warranty work - beats fighting with bmw/dinan for warranty coverage.

01RedDX
01-10-2008, 05:19 PM

5hift
01-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by &gt;Percy&lt;
However, my friend spend $1,400 to put the aftermarket chip in his 335i but when he bought his car for oil change, he need to remove the chip first. Plus HP only increase to 370 or something...

I dream of 1400 worth of mods netting me a 70 HP gain. Back in the ricer days I remember so many guys that dropped this much on I/E/H setups on their civics for like 7 HP gains.

Weapon_R
01-10-2008, 05:29 PM
I thought the vishnu upgrade was undetectable by BMW dealers? If that's the case, just buy that and remove it for servicing and warranty work - beats fighting with bmw/dinan for warranty coverage.

Tuner1
01-21-2008, 12:00 AM
I have a Procede in my 335i and I have spent a great deal of time researching all the other options.

Summary: Get a Procede or wait for the Jim Conforti/Shark Injector to hit the market.

Rob

benyl
01-21-2008, 02:16 AM
Dinan wasn't available when you got your proceed. There many more options coming, including the possibility of a flash from BMW. This is currently a rumour, but would by far be the best solution with respect to warranty.

By getting Dinan, you are voiding your BMW powertrain warranty and leaving it in the hands of Dinan. If you are comfortable with that, by all means, go ahead.

Tuner1
01-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Dinan wasn't available when you got your proceed. There many more options coming, including the possibility of a flash from BMW. This is currently a rumour, but would by far be the best solution with respect to warranty.

By getting Dinan, you are voiding your BMW powertrain warranty and leaving it in the hands of Dinan. If you are comfortable with that, by all means, go ahead.

I know the Dinan flash wasn't available when I got my Procede but even if I was to do it all again today I wouldn't go the Dinan route. A Conforti Shark Injector for these cars will be a winner!

I find it highly unlikely that BMW will offer a flash that adds more than maybe 40hp, if anything at all, otherwise it will start to cannibalize their E9X M3 sales.

I agree that Dinan's warranty doesn't give me much additional confidence.

FWIW, I've covered 7XXXkms with my Procede with ZERO issues, other than shredding my rear tires :D

Rob

benyl
01-21-2008, 05:52 PM
The thing I don't like about Proceed is that you have open everything up. People believe that when you remove it, the techs can't tell that you opened it up.

I changed out the bulbs for my Angel eyes and I covered the screw driver I used with a cloth and I still scuffed up the plastic.

Having seen the videos for the Proceed and the Juice Box, etc... There is no way to get into the ECU evidence free.

I agree, Shark injector might be the "future" if it ever comes out... haha

nd54
02-05-2008, 10:38 PM
I have the RDSport / Racing Dynamics Black Box in my 335 and it's great. There is a small switch inside the glove box to go from the stock map to the 'power' map. No check engine lights or any problems, and you just have to flick the switch before going to the dealer, which takes about one second. As further security, you can remove the box and put in these two plugs which re-route the harness back to the stock setting if you're getting the factory ECU updated, etc. Very simple, excellent support from one of the best brand names in the business, and you can find it for $1100USD. In my opinion much better than anything else out there.

bg_27
02-28-2008, 07:40 PM
The procede is basically undetectable by the dealership, depends on the version. version 1.47 of the procede you had to bypass some visible vacuum lines right beside the engine block, so thats noticable by BMW service.
v2.0 does not need to bypass those vacuum lines, so all the modifications are in the ECU compartment.

Percy, also your friend that had to take it out for an oil change actually was getting an ECU flash/software update, thats why your friend had to remove it, otherwise for an oil change with V2 I don't see a problem leaving it in.

nd54
02-29-2008, 07:32 PM
Every N54 software mod is detectable, it doesn't matter if it is the Dinan flash, Procede, Xede, Turbo Tuner, etc.......
Just because all the mods are in the ECU compartment doesn't mean it is undetectable. The car obviously drives differently and it would take a couple minutes for the dealer to scan your computer or open the compartment to see that it has been modded if they suspect anything. The only way for it to be undetectable is if you remove the mod before going in or switch the map to stock, and in the case of my RDSport Xede you can also put in service plugs which re-route the wiring harness.
The Procede is at a disadvantage here because you have to replace the stored map with a stock one or remove the box and all the wiring here, there is no shortcut.

bg_27
03-03-2008, 11:56 AM
I thought with the Procede that they provided a by-pass harness that you just unplug the procede and put the bypass on. But you still have to get access to the ECU comparment which can take about 20 mins.

Also to note, if you plan on doing more upgrades (exhaust, intake.), the dinan will not be programmable to take advantage of these, where the other units (xede, procede, etc) can put a different map on to take advantage.

benyl
03-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Don't waste your time with Procede. Go get the Haltech and program it yourself.

Helix bimmersport has also just released their piggy back. There is the JuiceBox. There are a few more that I can't think of right now.

Shiv has moved on to greener pastures. There is still no downpipe map, no CEL removal for Catless DPs AND people are still get CEL on the latest version of the map.

If the E9X is anything like the E46, there will be a ZHP model coming. I am sure that reflashes with the ZHP maps will come to be available among other things.

I am going to wait another couple of month... can't put all that power down right now anyway. My winters are already fried as it is.

Jlude
03-09-2008, 06:46 PM
^^ I just left the dealership after putting my deposit down on a 335i. The sales guy even told me to get the Vishnu upgrade, said that it's undetectable and gave me a card for someone who does it.