PDA

View Full Version : Electrical guru's PLZ help: Is this wiring correct to hook up my strobe lights? *PIC*

luxor
01-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Hey everyone, I'm trying to hook up strobe lights to my car and i want the strobe lights to come on with my alarm when it's going off and i would also like to be able to switch them on manually for shows. The unit its self would always be ON so that it would light up the strobes when my alarm is going off. So to do this i understand i need relays. I have used two relays in my diagram to control the siren and the switch. "X" is the power sent to my strobes when the switch is bridged, as well as when the siren is going off. "V" is where i plan to hook up the power wires from the siren and the switch. The switch and siren would not be simultaneously used as there really would not be a reason to but would there be any detrimental effects by doing so? Last but not least here's the diagram i did up on paint, please let me know if there is anything wrong with it or if there is something else i could do to make it a better setup. Basically both relays are connected to the power source for my strobe lights, other then that everything is separate.

Thanks for you help!

http://www3.telus.net/public/ronng/BM/strobelightrelaydiag.JPG

CAN THIS BE DONE?

Vtecmini
01-10-2008, 12:35 AM
Your alarm should have a wire from the box to hook up to your lights. (orange wire is the most common color for the lights.) Hook that up to the input(+12VDC) on your strobes. It should have a relay built into the alarm box for that. You can use a automotive relay to control your lights with a switch. your wiring diagram looks pretty good. the only possilbe thing i could see that could go wrong is if the alarm went off and you left the lights on. you can use two relays to make a safe guard for that so only one can be on at a time. Ill try to find my diagrams from school as I had to make a circuit do this.

lots of info on the net. Use that to help.

luxor
01-10-2008, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Vtecmini
Your alarm should have a wire from the box to hook up to your lights. (orange wire is the most common color for the lights.) Hook that up to the input(+12VDC) on your strobes. It should have a relay built into the alarm box for that. You can use a automotive relay to control your lights with a switch. your wiring diagram looks pretty good. the only possilbe thing i could see that could go wrong is if the alarm went off and you left the lights on. you can use two relays to make a safe guard for that so only one can be on at a time. Ill try to find my diagrams from school as I had to make a circuit do this.

lots of info on the net. Use that to help.

Well i can't use the alarm unit since its an OEM BMW alarm, the alarm system is actually integrated in the ECM. Wouldn't be a good idea to mess with that. So the only way i could go is to use the 12V signal from the siren when the alarm is going off.

All i want to do is to have my strobed go off with my alarm and still be able to turn on the strobes from a separate switch when the alarm is not going off.

2EFNFAST
01-10-2008, 02:20 AM
That is so illegal......

Supa Dexta
01-10-2008, 03:10 AM
Simplest way is wire them to a 12v source on a swich... As for the alarm have them get power from the siren, but use a diode so voltage can only travel from the siren, not to it...