PDA

View Full Version : Grand Caravan Beats Odyssey in 2007 sales

CappyMcSlappy
01-10-2008, 09:19 AM
I read this article the other day about 2007 minivan sales. It looks like even though the Odyssey had a head start, strong December sales for the Caravan won it the title for best selling minivan..... AGAIN!

http://www.al.com/business/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/business/1199438239276440.xml&coll=2

The Dodge Grand Caravan staged a come-from-behind win in the closing moments of 2007 to retain its long-held crown as the nation's top-selling minivan, surprising onlookers who expected that prize to go to Honda's Alabama-made Odyssey.

JRSC00LUDE
01-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Oh but they needed to offer rebates to sell them. Wait till they see their resale value. Domestic sucks. Honda's are way better. Stupid rednecks bought them.

(blows on the conch) Import fanboys unite!!!! :rolleyes:

CappyMcSlappy
01-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Oh but they needed to offer rebates to sell them. Wait till they see their resale value. Domestic sucks. Honda's are way better. Stupid rednecks bought them.

Whaaat??? Besides "Domestic sucks", how can you favor the Odyssey over the Caravan in this department. The Caravan is a legend and been the best selling mini for years. It's no surprise to me the Caravan won out last year with all its new features and improvements.

Eleanor
01-10-2008, 10:07 AM
^ sarcasm > you

treg50
01-10-2008, 10:36 AM
This isn't surprising to me --- though I'm not a minivan expert. I always thought the Caravan was the top of the heap sales & popularity-wise

Have you seen the new Caravan???! Chrysler decided to make it all boxy instead of the rounded look. Boxy is good I guess, Sienna, Odyssey, even Montana have been that way for years... now Chrysler's is the boxiest one.

rc2002
01-10-2008, 10:46 AM
The price difference and attractive lease/finance options make the Caravan more affordable. I know people who own Caravans only because of the price factor.

The Odyssey Touring Edition was at one time (just a few years back) the most expensive vehicle Honda offered (even more than the S2000).

AliXJ
01-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Big part of "sales" is fleet sales. Many go to rental and sales reps.

clem24
01-10-2008, 11:04 AM
^^^ :werd: You don't see any Odysseys available for rental, but tons of Caravans. This was also one of the reasons why the Taurus was such a "good seller".. The majority of them went to fleets and rentals and those are counted by the car company. If you really want to compare, just check how much net revenue was made on the Caravan vs. Odyssey... Honda is probably laughing all the way to the bank at Chrysler's numbers. They probably don't give a rats ass.

dino_martini
01-10-2008, 01:39 PM
The Grand Caravan is about 10k less fully loaded then the Odyssey Touring.

bspot
01-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by clem24
^^^ :werd: You don't see any Odysseys available for rental, but tons of Caravans. This was also one of the reasons why the Taurus was such a "good seller".. The majority of them went to fleets and rentals and those are counted by the car company. If you really want to compare, just check how much net revenue was made on the Caravan vs. Odyssey... Honda is probably laughing all the way to the bank at Chrysler's numbers. They probably don't give a rats ass.

The last minivan I rented was a Sienna :dunno:

Hash_man
01-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Caravans are much cheaper base price I believe than either Honda Odessey or Toyota Sienna. Although I would still never buy one, for people who need a family vehicle and want something new, the caravan can fit a lot of peoples budget better than the import minivans.

Team_Mclaren
01-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

:rofl: :rofl: UNITE indeel

Price and package wise nothing beats the Caravan.

leec001
01-10-2008, 10:17 PM
To give an idea of the disparity in used values between these vans and key import competitors, check this out: a 2001 Honda Odyssey is worth $13,550 in basic LX form and a 2001 Toyota Sienna CE carries a value of $11,950. An '06 Odyssey LX is worth $30,675 (the top end Touring model is worth $42,050!) and an '06 Sienna CE is worth $24,475 (and here, values top out at $38,150 for an XLE AWD model).

Note that the Odyssey has not enjoyed a flawless reliability run, though: it's had transmission issues of its own, and the power sliding side doors can be finicky; the Sienna's V6 was the target of an engine oil sludge controversy a few years back.

[B]Some posters at Caravan-centric web forums say major transmission trouble can be avoided, or at least put off, with meticulous maintenance[B]. If you can find a sweet deal on one of the plum Caravans out there among all the stinky prunes, go for it, and perhaps stash the money you save in a high-interest savings account. You know, for that rainy day when the transmission (or some other pricey component) requires attention. It's not a car-buying approach for the faint of heart, but if you luck out, you'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Odyssey is not the best, have transmission problem as Caravan does but way more expensive!

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/cc/01-06caravan_tc.htm

Spoons
01-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Real question is who the fuck cares...

gpomp
01-11-2008, 12:01 AM
waiting for redlyne or bt to tell us that the sienna is the best van ever...

?????
01-11-2008, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by treg50

Have you seen the new Caravan???! Chrysler decided to make it all boxy instead of the rounded look. Boxy is good I guess, Sienna, Odyssey, even Montana have been that way for years... now Chrysler's is the boxiest one.

Have you seen the 1st or 2nd gen caravans?

Spoons
01-11-2008, 12:14 AM
Well I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait for the 94 Daihatsu Hijet to import. God damn you 15 year rule, damn you to hell...

Team_Mclaren
01-11-2008, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Spoons
Real question is who the fuck cares...

i sure dont fucking care if you care or not, if you dont like it, gtfo

Redlyne_mr2
01-11-2008, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
waiting for redlyne or bt to tell us that the sienna is the best van ever...
why? I hate minivans :nut: :dunno:

CappyMcSlappy
01-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man
Caravans are much cheaper base price I believe than either Honda Odessey or Toyota Sienna. Although I would still never buy one, for people who need a family vehicle and want something new, the caravan can fit a lot of peoples budget better than the import minivans.

That is true. It's marked $2,000 less than the Odyssey and $3,000 less than the Sienna. I'm sure that has a huge effect on why the caravan always sells well.

leec001
01-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by CappyMcSlappy

That is true. It's marked $2,000 less than the Odyssey and $3,000 less than the Sienna. I'm sure that has a huge effect on why the caravan always sells well.

2007 Dodge Caravan is only

$136/bi-weekly with 0% fin and 0 down payment for 60 months
It works out to be $16320:thumbsup: Really Cheap:clap:

rc2002
01-15-2008, 09:35 AM
^

Exactly. Like I said above, it's not just the price but the attractive lease/finance options. You could lease 2 or more Caravans for the same monthly payment as an Odyssey or Sienna.

blitz
01-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Phuqu

Didn't you roll in one of these?

http://www.classiccarsofsc.com/images/85ToyotaVan.jpg

That was my families only vehicle when I was in highschool. Exact colour too ("Rose Beige" I believe)

RWD, engine ahead of the front wheels. You could make it's rear tires chirp on hot days.

Good times.

CappyMcSlappy
01-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
^

Exactly. Like I said above, it's not just the price but the attractive lease/finance options. You could lease 2 or more Caravans for the same monthly payment as an Odyssey or Sienna.

I never really notice the attractiveness of the leasing options until leec posted it above. They're more affordable than I originally though!

I was actually at Dodge dealership near me last week. After just browsing around the showroom and stopping at the grand caravan, I ended up talking to a sales rep nearby. He said that their dealership had a great December month and sold 14 of them (not including fleet and not pushing any special offers). I had only seen a couple 08 Caravans on the roads before this, but in the coming months, I think well see more.