PDA

View Full Version : Need computer help...PLEASE

R!zz0
01-10-2008, 09:40 AM
My computer is turning off and on all of a sudden.
I didn't do any hardware upgrades on it (Only security updates from microsoft) I'll have to check my power supply, if it's NOT my power supply, what do you guys recommend?

adam c
01-10-2008, 09:41 AM
sounds like a power supply problem or ur computer is overheating...

try uninstalling the updates and see if that makes a difference, although they shouldn't. also do the normal, virus scan, spyware, etc..

R!zz0
01-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by adam c
sounds like a power supply problem or ur computer is overheating...

try uninstalling the updates and see if that makes a difference, although they shouldn't. also do the normal, virus scan, spyware, etc..

My computer wont turn on

V6-BoI
01-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Your power supply or motherboard could be fried. Try disconnecting your power source from your mother board, and just turning on your power supply. If your power supply turns on, then your motherboard is most likely messed up. If it doesn't turn on, then your power supply might be done.

R!zz0
01-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Before I start pulling out any hardware, Can I change BIOS settings to affect performance and startup options?

V6-BoI
01-10-2008, 12:57 PM
I thought you said your computer won't turn on?

R!zz0
01-10-2008, 01:39 PM
It boots up and takes me to a screen where it says

Safe mode
Safe mode with networing
Last good configuration
I'm not even hitting F8 and it's taking me to that screen.

No matter where i go into, it starts booting up all over again.

Does that make any sense?

Mythorp
01-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Sounds like a hard drive to me....

Intent_Fire
01-10-2008, 01:49 PM
could be an issue with ram. Check that your POST(power on self test) is enabled in your Bios. Run that test to see if thats the problem.

what happens it that there is a error on the ram chip at say 85%, as soon as the ram chip fills up to that 85% part on the chip where the error is, the computer will crash instantly.

and the reason it takes you to the safe mode screen is because your computer crashed and was not shut down normally.

If its not that, there is a good chance it is the PS like the others have said.

HyperZell
01-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Bring it down to Memory Express. We can take a quick look at it and, if it's the power supply, tell you right away. It's a lot easier than stressing over this yourself and potentially making things worse.

Zero102
01-10-2008, 09:47 PM
k, if you get that boot menu screen every time, and it keeps rebooting then it's likely blue-screening on startup. This can happen after windows updates or driver updates.

On the boot menu, select "Disable automatic restart on system failure", then get the full error code from the blue screen (a few words and at least the first 0x code). Next up, try safe mode, with the error code somebody on here can probably help you to get it booting again.

If it gets to the desktop sometimes, then the advice offered changes. Please clarify what it's doing.

V6-BoI
01-11-2008, 12:18 AM
If you installed something recently and then it started this, trying booting up in safe mode. If you can get into safe mode, you can try uninstalling what you installed. And also safe mode has a feature where you can restore your system back to what the configuration was in the past. So it might help if you restore it to a date before this stuff started happening. But you will lose some of your data though.

R!zz0
01-11-2008, 08:07 AM
I'll try all the above advice and hopefully will get it going.
Worse come to worse, I'll pick up a used P4 with SP2 somewhere.

Mythorp
01-11-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm telling you, it's your hard drive.

If it just keeps booting around and around, it's because it can't see the hard drive. Go into your BIOS check to see if it even recognizes your hard drive.

CBRComet
01-12-2008, 02:46 AM
hyperzell:

I have basically an entire desktop that i don't have time to complete, can I bring it down to memex and have them complete it and or diagnose it? most of the components came from there, how much would it be?

HyperZell
01-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by CBRComet
hyperzell:

I have basically an entire desktop that i don't have time to complete, can I bring it down to memex and have them complete it and or diagnose it? most of the components came from there, how much would it be?

Absolutely, we have a tech bay with some good people in it. Bring it by and they can book it in - usually a diagnosis doesn't take more than an hour, and it's $50/hour (unless we can tell just by one look). They'll be able to check it out and let you know what's wrong with it, at which point you can decide what to do.