PDA

View Full Version : RIP Prelude

Jlude
01-10-2008, 01:43 PM
The accident happened on Dec 29th. I finally got the word today that the car is a write off. Not impressed but no one was hurt which is the main thing. It's only a car. (that I loved very much)

I was driving with the gf to go see a movie at chinook. Northbound on Macleod. NO, I wasn't speeding, I had just left a red light. Road conditions weren't bad. 4 cars in total involved in the accident. A smart car 4 cars ahead of me had slammed on the brakes causing 4 cars to be rear ended, I hit a blue civic in front of me and a mazda 3 hit me from behind. The back bumper doesn't look that bad, but the impact was really hard and ended up causing even more damage to the front end.

Here's what it once looked like...

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/JME1984/james1ah7.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/JME1984/PLUDE.jpg

Accident Pics:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/JME1984/img219.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/JME1984/img217.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/JME1984/img222.jpg

Just wanted to share... I'll await the onslaught of heckling!

Guess it's time to go car shopping.

forced_eg
01-10-2008, 01:44 PM
very sorry to hear... i know the feeling

LadyLuck
01-10-2008, 01:45 PM
that sucks dude..

is insurance gonna cover anything?

Jlude
01-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Princess*Precid
that sucks dude..

is insurance gonna cover anything?

Yes, I have a rental car now... I'm waiting for the appraiser to tell me what I'm gonna get for it.

It's actually not a bad situation, I'm heading down to Cali at the end of the month for a job interview, so I'll likely be moving down there in a couple of months... wanted to upgrade anyways.

rc2002
01-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Man, your car got owned by that civic.

Kind of hard to believe your car is a write off considering it's a 2001. Doesn't look like that much damage...

A790
01-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Oh shit man, that sucks! I'm really sorry to hear that- your lude was nice! Good luck finding a new whip.

Jlude
01-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Man, your car got owned by that civic.

Kind of hard to believe your car is a write off considering it's a 2001. Doesn't look like that much damage...

That's what I thought too... I was shocked that they wrote it off.

LadyLuck
01-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

Yes, I have a rental car now... I'm waiting for the appraiser to tell me what I'm gonna get for it.

It's actually not a bad situation, I'm heading down to Cali at the end of the month for a job interview, so I'll likely be moving down there in a couple of months... wanted to upgrade anyways.

cali eh?
must be nice..
good luck on your job interview!

buh_buh
01-10-2008, 01:57 PM
that sucks, but I'd rather get a cheque from the insurance company than drive a car that's had a major repair. GL with the job.

Jlude
01-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Princess*Precid

cali eh?
must be nice..
good luck on your job interview!

I've already been offered the job, I'm just going down to meet everyone, see day to day operations, meet the employees, see what the city (Pleasanton) has to offer. Thanks!!

avow
01-10-2008, 02:01 PM
:cry: best of luck in your new transition.

JRSC00LUDE
01-10-2008, 02:09 PM
I hate to be a vulture and I'm sorry to see it go but you know where to look if you've got anything to part out at the end of it all.

03ozwhip
01-10-2008, 02:12 PM
going to cali and wrecked your car. blessing in disguise..... 2 words.

EVOLUTION 9.

Jlude
01-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I hate to be a vulture and I'm sorry to see it go but you know where to look if you've got anything to part out at the end of it all.

I've got some parts... some that I just bought off buh_buh that haven't even been installed yet, some in storage... what do you want? The interior was pretty damn mint.

PM me what you're interested in, I'll see if I have it.

Primer_Drift
01-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

+1..
Do you get the option of buying the write-off? pm me if you do..

01RedDX
01-10-2008, 02:26 PM

Jlude
01-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift

+1..
Do you get the option of buying the write-off? pm me if you do..

I believe I can still negotiate parts. I have to meet with the appraiser with my reciepts for everything I've done to it.Let me know what you guys want, the insurance company won't likely give me very much for seats or interior parts.

Let me know what you want... I'll see what I can do.

01RedDX
01-10-2008, 02:31 PM

Jlude
01-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

My cousin recently moved down to that area (San Jose) for work. He loved it so much that he's decided to stay permanently. Loves the climate, scenery and his job (fuel cell developer.) Only problem is, housing is a bit expensive (slightly higher than Calgary.)

San Jose is 20 minutes from where I'm going.

I'm SOOO glad to hear that.

I'm going to be working for a structural detailing company, managing/training a team of 30 draftsman. I've looked into property in Pleasanton and it's pretty crazy. I was becoming so sick of the cold weather and then this company called me up.

I hope it all works out and I enjoy it as much as he does!

analbumcover
01-10-2008, 02:48 PM
DAMN... how did you get someone in Cali to notice you?

Jlude
01-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by analbumcover
DAMN... how did you get someone in Cali to notice you?

Working very, very hard and having almost no social life for the past couple of years. The shortage of qualified people in my industry helps too!

EDIT: The company told me they called had been doing work with a company in Calgary and mentioned they were looking for someone to fill the position... my name and number were given.
I certainly called the guy who gave them my info to thank him!

5hift
01-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

San Jose is 20 minutes from where I'm going.

I'm SOOO glad to hear that.

I'm going to be working for a structural detailing company, managing/training a team of 30 draftsman. I've looked into property in Pleasanton and it's pretty crazy. I was becoming so sick of the cold weather and then this company called me up.

I hope it all works out and I enjoy it as much as he does!

Man I am jealous, it sucks this happened to your car, but now you can get more for your money in your new city, and you can take your time to pick one.

I have a ton of family in the bay area, and growing up spent pretty much every summer there and know it pretty well. You are going to love Pleasanton. Its funny you got hired here of all places, this city is about as close to Calgary as you will find in the US. Its a rich suburb of SanFran, I remember a few years ago it one of the wealthiest cities in the US (why housing costs so much). Its the only city in the Bay area where the population is around 75% white. Coincidently it doesnt have much crime either. A pretty good downtown/nightlife, tons of good restaurants. Not sure if your a sports fan, but I envy you with teams like the 49ners, Raiders, Athletics, Giants, Sharks, Warriors are all nearby.

Oh to give you an idea of the weather year round, most the houses have air conditioning, but pretty much none have central heating. Being close to the water prevents it from getting too hot in the summer though. I would jump at the chance to move there.

Jlude
01-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

Man I am jealous, it sucks this happened to your car, but now you can get more for your money in your new city, and you can take your time to pick one.

I have a ton of family in the bay area, and growing up spent pretty much every summer there and know it pretty well. You are going to love Pleasanton. Its funny you got hired here of all places, this city is about as close to Calgary as you will find in the US. Its a rich suburb of SanFran, I remember a few years ago it one of the wealthiest cities in the US (why housing costs so much). Its the only city in the Bay area where the population is around 75% white. Coincidently it doesnt have much crime either. A pretty good downtown/nightlife, tons of good restaurants. Not sure if your a sports fan, but I envy you with teams like the 49ners, Raiders, Athletics, Giants, Sharks, Warriors are all nearby.

Oh to give you an idea of the weather year round, most the houses have air conditioning, but pretty much none have central heating. Being close to the water prevents it from getting too hot in the summer though. I would jump at the chance to move there.

I really didn't know much about the city at all.. Thanks for all the info.
Sounds like a great place to live. The city was one of my biggest concerns, next to the company itself. I feel so relieved.

I will be certainly go to see some NFL games, the owners of the company have season box seats. Hopefully I can join them for a game or two.

Hahaha, believe me, I'm trying not to "jump" to hard at the chance, I still have to go through final salary/package negotiations when I get down there.

Kona9
01-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Don't lose contact with Beyond when and if you go! I would be interested in seeing how you like it down there.

Sorry to hear about your car.

Everything happens for a reason man!!!!

Good luck!

forced_eg
01-10-2008, 03:44 PM
anyone know how long it takes to get your money from the insurance company??? i signed over the bill of sale and they towed the car almost 3 weeks ago

Jlude
01-10-2008, 03:46 PM
^^

Not gonna lose contact, but I'll probably be on a lot less, gonna have to set a good example. surfin' beyond for the 12hrs a day I do while at work isn't gonna fly!

Jlude
01-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by forced_eg
anyone know how long it takes to get your money from the insurance company??? i signed over the bill of sale and they towed the car almost 3 weeks ago

I'm leaving for cali on the 29th and they told me that I should have it all taken care of by then. I hope that means that I get my money by then. I need a f'n car to get down to cali with!

01RedDX
01-10-2008, 03:53 PM

MackDawg
01-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Man that blows, but if your looking for another electric blue 01 Lude with low km's give me a pm.

Jlude
01-10-2008, 04:00 PM

This is the most important part. Make sure you don't sell yourself too short. Anything that might seem unreasonable in Calgary is a lot more realistic and attainable down there, so know your worth but ask for more. From what I know, it is not unreasonable to expect double the salary for the same position in Calgary, but if you don't ask for it, you won't get it.

Good Advice, believe me, I won't be selling myself short.
EVERYONE has been telling me that this company has tons of money and LOVES to throw it at people they want to hire.

I've had preliminary talks about it, I didn't wanna get too into it in case my reactions gave them anything to work from. I was told that the profit sharing bonus would likely double my salary. So I'm VERY excited.... hahaha the gf said "That means I don't have to work down there!" NOT LIKELY!!! (Doubt she'll even get a work visa)

01RedDX
01-10-2008, 04:05 PM

Jlude
01-10-2008, 04:13 PM

Funny, same story with my cuz. His girlfriend (now wife) couldn't work without a visa, so she went to school instead.

That's what she's talkin' about doing to. It's a good idea.

Jlude
01-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by MackDawg
Man that blows, but if your looking for another electric blue 01 Lude with low km's give me a pm.
5 speed? Leather?

Destinova403
01-10-2008, 06:02 PM
oh man that sucks so much...

when you part let me know on msn you know what im looking for already.

infected
01-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Sorry to hear.

Nav13
01-10-2008, 07:49 PM
shitty deal bro thats pretty much the exact same thing that happend to my prelude. its really sucks but your right nobody got hurt and cars can be replaced

JordanAndrew
01-11-2008, 12:34 AM
damn that really sucks man, I was in an accident last Oct 21 myself and totally wrecked my black prelude. It wasn't a pleasant experience, but it's definitely an unforgetable life experience.

I was coming out of the parking lot of roger's video on 17th ave sw. The road was clear but as I was making my turn I got stuck because of a miscalculation of my turn because of a parked car. I was stuck in the intersection and 2 cars appeared out of no where. It was a 2005 Toyota celica and a 1999 BMW that hit my car on the front driver's side. That was my situation and I was pretty pissed off to see my car wrecked like that.

I love the car soo much though so I went and bought another one, this time it's a pearl white Prelude.

Good luck with your situation bro.

Gibson
01-11-2008, 01:21 AM
Why did the Smart driver slam on his brakes?

Sad to see a 5th gen Prelude written off...

Jlude
01-11-2008, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew
damn that really sucks man, I was in an accident last Oct 21 myself and totally wrecked my black prelude. It wasn't a pleasant experience, but it's definitely an unforgetable life experience.

I was coming out of the parking lot of roger's video on 17th ave sw. The road was clear but as I was making my turn I got stuck because of a miscalculation of my turn because of a parked car. I was stuck in the intersection and 2 cars appeared out of no where. It was a 2005 Toyota celica and a 1999 BMW that hit my car on the front driver's side. That was my situation and I was pretty pissed off to see my car wrecked like that.

I love the car soo much though so I went and bought another one, this time it's a pearl white Prelude.

Good luck with your situation bro.

Thanks!
Don't think I'm gonna go with another lude. Haven't seen any for sale that have really caught my eye. Looking at an 06 350Z. Never had one before.

Originally posted by Gibson
Why did the Smart driver slam on his brakes?

Sad to see a 5th gen Prelude written off...

I have no idea why he slammed on his brakes. The light ahead of us was green.

TomcoPDR
01-11-2008, 04:58 AM
Oh man these are such nice cars (for the $$$ and value for a sporty car), nice rare blue too.

Jlude
01-11-2008, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Oh man these are such nice cars (for the $$$ and value for a sporty car), nice rare blue too.

Needless to say Tom... I won't be requiring any PDR this spring as we talked about.:rofl: :rofl:

Jlude
01-23-2008, 05:19 PM
So here's an update. After negotiating with the appraiser... I got him to value my car at 19k (I'm surprised too). Regardless... because of that, the cost to repair the car was 13500... and they decided because it was lower than 75% of the total vehicle cost, they're going to fix it.

After some haggling with the appraiser... He's agreed to write it off if I will accept the car being worth 18k... so of course I agreed. Now I'm just waiting for him to call me back after he consults with the adjuster/insurance company or whoever the fuck he deals with. I've got my fingers crossed that they go for it. I really don't want it back after having that much f'n damage... it's tainted.

Jlude
01-24-2008, 04:11 PM
So I've gotten the final word... They're going to make me an offer within the next two days for my car... it is finally written off.

Part of the deal was that I can only have the rims back...

So if you want them (most people probably won't like them)... let me know.. pm me a price... you'll have to have alloy honda rims with tires to go back onto the car...

First page has pictures of my rims... or go to http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=180004&perpage=40&highlight=&pagenumber=2

The rims are untouched... and tires are brand new... they're 215/35/18...

vtec
01-24-2008, 07:04 PM
^^ ahh man! i really wanted the lip kit. haha

Jlude
01-25-2008, 02:12 PM
for those of you who are interested... the buy back on my car is 3562...

again... for anyone who wants to give me say... 50 dollars and a set of rims to put on the car... you can have my 18's off of it.

You'll have to let me know fairly quick what you're gonna do...