PDA

View Full Version : Driving car over weight......

MaYzE
08-01-2002, 01:56 PM
Whats going to happen if I drive my car over the 850lbs capacity? Other then it being VERY VERY slow. I may have to carry 900lbs of crap to b.c. It shouldnt hurt anything will it?

rage2
08-01-2002, 01:59 PM
Wear and tear on suspension, possibility of bottoming out and losing control.

5gluder
08-01-2002, 02:01 PM
Depending on your speed, it could plobably cause more stress on your engine.

G
08-01-2002, 02:02 PM
5 * 180lb dead bodies = 900 lbs

MaYzE
08-01-2002, 02:06 PM
Crap! SO much for luggage. It says max 850 lbs. If the 3 people Im taking didnt weight 200lbs each I would be ok. Now I wish I bought an SUV. DAMN!!! Any quick ways to reduce weight? I really dont wanna take out my subs..... too much damn wiring. That would lose like 50-100lbs I think though.

Ferio_vti
08-01-2002, 02:09 PM
Ouch man, I hope your not going to Vancouver. Or anywhere that requires going up the mountains. I drove to Vancouver in my Civic, it was practically empty, aside from one passenger and some overnight luggage. That was hard enough going up the mountains.

5gluder
08-01-2002, 02:15 PM
I would take out the box.

Audi Kid
08-01-2002, 02:16 PM
dude there should only be like 6 wires for your subs/.

Ben
08-01-2002, 02:17 PM
Dude, when doing on a long trip always remove the spare time to save weight!:rolleyes:

MaYzE
08-01-2002, 02:17 PM
Well my bro is driving up 3 hours earlier then me. What Im going to do is put EVERYONES luggage with him. That way I wont be over weight. But I'll still be 700lbs heavier. DAMN DAMN DAMN!! I hate this. Maybe I'll make someone go with him too. I should have thought of this earlier!!! I leave tomorrow at 3am!!

MaYzE
08-01-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Audi Kid
dude there should only be like 6 wires for your subs/.

All my amps for the fronts/rears/and subs are bolted to the subbox. :(

B17a
08-01-2002, 02:22 PM
Get your fat ass friends to run along side the car until they sweat off enough weight to make the limit!!:thumbsup: :D

MaYzE
08-01-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti
Ouch man, I hope your not going to Vancouver. Or anywhere that requires going up the mountains. I drove to Vancouver in my Civic, it was practically empty, aside from one passenger and some overnight luggage. That was hard enough going up the mountains.

Im heading to Penticton for the weekend. This BLOWS! All the other guys have crappy cars that wont even make it!

MaYzE
08-01-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by B17a
Get your fat ass friends to run along side the car until they sweat off enough weight to make the limit!!:thumbsup: :D

To tell ya the truth, Im almost ready to do that. I'll hold a steak out the window for em

boi-alien
08-01-2002, 02:33 PM
but honestly, if u plan on driving your civic up there... uhm... all i can say is have fun.... up the mountains and shit is where a little more torque would come in handy heh

Ferio_vti
08-01-2002, 02:41 PM
You should be okay going to Penticton, you won't be hitting the Civic-killer mountains. Anything after the Okangans and you'd be better off getting your friends to push your car up.

Redlyne_mr2
08-01-2002, 02:41 PM
I 've driven my 87 4 door civic to Vernon like 6 times through the mountaisn with luggage and another passenger no problems..take out your subs..pack lightly and you should be ok....

Ferio_vti
08-01-2002, 02:51 PM
Just becareful and don't bother trying to pass stuff going up hill. You don't want to become another statistic for the long weekend

silvercivicsir
08-01-2002, 03:00 PM
i say get some 91+ octane for those mountain trips. It does help out.. then again my car only gets 91+ so it's nothing different for me. and since your in Bc to to chevron and get some 94+..

Ferio_vti
08-01-2002, 03:09 PM
94+ octane gas must cost like $1.25 a liter now...

MaYzE
08-01-2002, 03:17 PM
Well I hope my car makes it up those damn hills. Golden will be a bitch. I guess the road to Penticton shouldnt be too bad. If I went any further I may be in trouble. Thanks for all the tips guys. Im going to put ALL the 4 passengers luggage in my bros car. That way Im still 60+lbs under the weight limit. The sub is just waaay to wired. I dont feel like tearing out all those wires. Plus I love my subs. :)

speedracer
08-01-2002, 03:25 PM
Make sure you check tire pressure.

Redlyne_mr2
08-01-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by MaYzE
Well I hope my car makes it up those damn hills. Golden will be a bitch. I guess the road to Penticton shouldnt be too bad. If I went any further I may be in trouble. Thanks for all the tips guys. Im going to put ALL the 4 passengers luggage in my bros car. That way Im still 60+lbs under the weight limit. The sub is just waaay to wired. I dont feel like tearing out all those wires. Plus I love my subs. :)
here sthe best advice I can give you ..leave early in the morning to avoid al the traffic..a huge portion of that trip will be done on single lane highways....watch your rearview if you have to stop fast too...
The last time I went to vernon I was driving home back to Red Deer...right at the three valley gap (huge red roofed hotel with a ghost town next to it) some loser in an old taurus wagon decided to turn into the hotel lot at the last minute causing the person behind him to slam on his brakes which caused I chain reaction..I never follow closely so I had time to hit my brakes then coast onto the shoulder to avoid the van infront of me but there was a busted ass van behind me tailgating me. He slammed on his brakes and slid right along the side of the minivan that was right in front of me...he then took out the whole rear end and quarter of a bmw and was then hit head on by oncoming traffic coming the other way...I watched it all happen literally right next to me as I slowly coasted along the shoulder..I'm not sure if I shoudl have stopped or not but I just decided to keep going...I had to get home and it was just way to much fo a mess for me to stick around. I saw alot of suicide passes and some very close calls on top of the accident that I witnessed so please be careful dude.

MaYzE
08-01-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

here sthe best advice I can give you ..leave early in the morning to avoid al the traffic..a huge portion of that trip will be done on single lane highways....watch your rearview if you have to stop fast too...
The last time I went to vernon I was driving home back to Red Deer...right at the three valley gap (huge red roofed hotel with a ghost town next to it) some loser in an old taurus wagon decided to turn into the hotel lot at the last minute causing the person behind him to slam on his brakes which caused I chain reaction..I never follow closely so I had time to hit my brakes then coast onto the shoulder to avoid the van infront of me but there was a busted ass van behind me tailgating me. He slammed on his brakes and slid right along the side of the minivan that was right in front of me...he then took out the whole rear end and quarter of a bmw and was then hit head on by oncoming traffic coming the other way...I watched it all happen literally right next to me as I slowly coasted along the shoulder..I'm not sure if I shoudl have stopped or not but I just decided to keep going...I had to get home and it was just way to much fo a mess for me to stick around. I saw alot of suicide passes and some very close calls on top of the accident that I witnessed so please be careful dude.

Harsh man,
Im no crazy ass driver so Im sure I'll be fine. With all the extra weight I wont be making any passes till I hit the passing lanes. Ive been to BC every year, I just havbe only drove once. And it was in a v6 lumina. So I didnt have much trouble then. Ill drive carefully. I know my civic is gutless. So Im not planning on any crazy ass moves. :) Not with 800lbs of extra weight.

Redlyne_mr2
08-01-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by MaYzE

Harsh man,
Im no crazy ass driver so Im sure I'll be fine. With all the extra weight I wont be making any passes till I hit the passing lanes. Ive been to BC every year, I just havbe only drove once. And it was in a v6 lumina. So I didnt have much trouble then. Ill drive carefully. I know my civic is gutless. So Im not planning on any crazy ass moves. :) Not with 800lbs of extra weight.
its probably best that you have a gutless car..keeps the tickets out of your glovebox....my first trip to BC this year..the one where I got attacked..I was on the straightaway at field B.C and I did I suicide pass passes a semi..well thankgod the mr2 has some balls because the car coming the otherway had no lights on at all and it was dusk so I didn't see him unitl blue and red lights came on and he turned around to chase me...I ended up getting 2 huge tickets but he didnt clock what speed I was going and he didnt have any day time running lights on so I won the case when I fought it.:thumbsup:

HRD2PLZ
08-01-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti

Word. When I took my EL to Vancouver, it was my sister, me, and luggage. I know it was under the 850 mark. I had to drive in 3rd in order to pass uphills :madred:

silvia S15
08-02-2002, 01:30 AM
rent a u-haul...

GTS Jeff
08-02-2002, 02:17 AM
Now is a good time for an engine swap!

max_boost
08-02-2002, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ

Word. When I took my EL to Vancouver, it was my sister, me, and luggage. I know it was under the 850 mark. I had to drive in 3rd in order to pass uphills :madred:

What are you expecting man?!?! Hondas with no low end torque and cruising uphill with extra weight you have to down shift your car!

nismodrifter
08-02-2002, 02:52 AM
just take your damn civic

make sure to put a b16 in it first though

Masta Dz16
08-02-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Wear and tear on suspension, possibility of bottoming out and losing control.

The worst thing that can proably happen is like what rage2 said, there will be a lot more wear and tension on the the suspension.

MaYzE
08-06-2002, 10:35 PM
Well the trip went fine. I was about 50-100lbs under my OVERWEIGHT mark. I just had no power whatsoever. I finally realized how gutless civics really are. I think it may be a good idea to swap the engine. Would an SiR engine make any difference?? Could I actually GAIN speed uphills with the same weight factor? Or am I better off just buying a 6 cyl car? What would it cost to put an SiR engine in? Labour and the part! like 8-9k?