PDA

View Full Version : Ovechkin, $124 million, 13 years.

Hakkola
01-10-2008, 06:02 PM
CRAZY. Sorry, that's 13 years, overheard wrong.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=226952&hubname=

Canmorite
01-10-2008, 06:05 PM
13 years? That is a long contract. Good money though.

buh_buh
01-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Everyone knew he'd sign with the Caps.
All the talk about trading him was just hyped up by the Toronto Sports Network.
This deal will look GREAT near the end of the contract when average salaries will have inflated to well over $10M for a superstar like Ovechkin.

I never thought I'd see the day that the Yashin and DiPietro's contracts would seem normal.

Weapon_R
01-10-2008, 06:07 PM
9.5 mill average for the next 13 years? Looks high now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see similar stars making more in the next decade.

Hakkola
01-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
9.5 mill average for the next 13 years? Looks high now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see similar stars making more in the next decade.

If the league continues to grow, the salary cap would have to go up.

lexIS300
01-10-2008, 06:15 PM
i think its worth it. haha unless he gets injured

5hift
01-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by lexIS300
i think its worth it. haha unless he gets injured

pretty sure there is both cap relief and insurance protection for teams with long term injured stars

Jlude
01-10-2008, 06:19 PM
"Ovechkin, who represented himself in the contract talks "

Atta boy!! Must be quite the negotiator!

5hift
01-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Why give 6-8% (~7-10 Million) to an agent for something you can do yourself?

Mr_John
01-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Ovechkin is a GREAT sign. He is easily the face of the Capitals and is a young superstar.

I was saying last night that Ovechkin is gonna be a Capital for life. They treat him well in Washington and he gets along with the owner's and management.

Good to hear that he represented himself as well. This is why I love Ovechkin.

Jlude
01-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
Why give 6-8% (~7-10 Million) to an agent for something you can do yourself?

I completely agree! I'm saying good on him to take charge... young guy that's took control of his future and got what he wanted!

5hift
01-10-2008, 06:32 PM
^^

yah I'm part of the small crowd that prefers him over Crybaby Crosby

If Backstrom keeps developing the way he is and with the emergence of Green, the Caps have a bright future.

Dave P
01-10-2008, 06:40 PM
the guy deserves it.

he is a complete show.

highlight goals

highlight hits

good head on him

Overchkin > Crosby

rmk
01-10-2008, 06:45 PM
He is the franchise. He wasn't going anywhere either :) All that I hope is that Washington will take steps to surround him with others who will help take the Caps to the next level.

I wanna see an A.O. Cribs episode.

Fusion
01-10-2008, 07:10 PM
By the time he 35 .. 124 million Damn

googe
01-10-2008, 09:13 PM
ovechkin > crosby :D

gofastmerc
01-10-2008, 09:25 PM
What is the max for one player this year?

When they signed the new CBA it was somthing like 7mil.

:dunno:

toyboy88
01-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by gofastmerc
What is the max for one player this year?

When they signed the new CBA it was somthing like 7mil.

:dunno:

I believe it is 10 or 10.5 million/year MAX now iirc.

EDIT: and props to him, being my favorite player not on the hometown team.

b_t
01-10-2008, 10:47 PM
I think this contract is good for the sport of hockey as whole.... a contract this huge will get front page sports coverage everywhere, people will all the sudden be curious about how this guy got this kind of money, even baseball players will go "Holy shit!" Might do good things for interest in the sport in the States.

Quizzes
01-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Why would a player need an agent anyway? Ovechkin got good coin by representing himself. Good on him.

You know what this means now... crazy-high long-term contracts for soon-to-be RFAs.

My prediction: Phaneuf... 10 years, $60M... it's possible...

Originally posted by 5hift
^^
If Backstrom keeps developing the way he is and with the emergence of Green, the Caps have a bright future.
...good future, still no goalie though.

b_t
01-10-2008, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't give Phaneuf that kind of money, not even close. He's gotten too far ahead of himself, too cocky now, I would call it a stretch to even say he'll be the next Al MacInnis.

D'z Nutz
01-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by googe
ovechkin > crosby :D

:werd:

Ovechkin's the man. While I don't argue that Crosby's the better player, Ovechkin's a real class act, down to Earth guy who hasn't let his fame get to his head. As talented as he is, sometimes it's easy to forget he's still just a kid until you hear about his antics.

wylmOGotyvY

vc8Lylkul6U

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Calgary/2006/10/31/2186288-sun.html

googe
01-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

While I don't argue that Crosby's the better player,

I do, for sure. Only reason crosby has more assists is because he has a team. :) But, that might be a whole new can of worms... :)

Ovechkin is tied for 2nd in goals with iginla, only 3 behind kovalchuk in first, and hes all by himself.

buh_buh
01-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by b_t
even baseball players will go "Holy shit!" Might do good things for interest in the sport in the States. It may attract attention to hockey in the states, but this contract is not that crazy compared to baseball contracts. Journeymen like Gil Meche or Darren Dreifort earning over $10 million a year is just ridiculous.

Originally posted by googe

Ovechkin is tied for 2nd in goals with iginla, only 3 behind kovalchuk in first, and hes all by himself. Ovechkin's not playing with any worldbeaters, but he's not playing with a bunch of AHLers either. Nylander, Backstrom, Green and Semin are decent talents on Washington, although Semin's having a pretty tough go at er this year.

For the most part, Crosby's been playing with Ryan Malone and Erik Christenson this year, who aren't that much of an upgrade on who Ovechkin's playing with and occasionally with Malkin.

Quizzes
01-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by b_t
I wouldn't give Phaneuf that kind of money, not even close. He's gotten too far ahead of himself, too cocky now, I would call it a stretch to even say he'll be the next Al MacInnis.
His defensive game needs a lot of work. But a puck-moving, heavy-hitting and hard-shooting D is a rare commodity these days. I don't think there's another D-man his age more complete.

MacInnis wasn't that great on defense when he first started. He developed that aspect of his game as he gained more experience.

Boomph
01-10-2008, 11:32 PM
i wonder what ovechkin initially asked for since he represented himself until they agreed at the $124 million point

gpomp
01-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by b_t
I wouldn't give Phaneuf that kind of money, not even close. He's gotten too far ahead of himself, too cocky now, I would call it a stretch to even say he'll be the next Al MacInnis. 3 years in the league, 2 all-star games, and in the starting line up for one of them...

$6 million isn't that bad when you consider sarich and aucoin make $4 million each..

dr_jared88
01-10-2008, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
It may attract attention to hockey in the states, but this contract is not that crazy compared to baseball contracts. Journeymen like Gil Meche or Darren Dreifort earning over $10 million a year is just ridiculous.

umm, 124mil over 13 years is average 9.5 mill a year. meaning the back half of his contract is over 10 mill a year.... so wouldnt this be just as ridiculous if not more since its hockey?

buh_buh
01-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by dr_jared88

umm, 124mil over 13 years is average 9.5 mill a year. meaning the back half of his contract is over 10 mill a year.... so wouldnt this be just as ridiculous if not more since its hockey? Ovechkin is one of the best players in the league at what, 22 years old? Gil Meche has a career record of 64-57, went 9-13 last year, and has a career ERA of 4.44. Darren Dreifort had a career record of 48-60 with a career ERA of 4.36, and retired due to injuries and the Dodgers still had to pay him that salary. How do you earn $10 million dollars a year with a career losing record? These guys are like the Brandon Bochenski's of baseball. These guys are nobodies making $10 million a year, so no, its not just as ridiculous.

forced_eg
01-11-2008, 12:09 AM
i guess the minimum wage of hockey players are going up... they are getting unreal amounts of money for long term deals, but are getting nothing compared to baseball/soccer/b-ball players

Xamim
01-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Its reading things like this that make me wish I would have played more sports. Good for him :thumbsup:

95EG6P
01-11-2008, 12:21 AM
Still great money, more than I will make in 4 life times. :P

Good Job

sexualbanana
01-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Look for about the 1:25 mark. Truer words have never been spoken, Leonsis..

hc0Mk88--2M

Supa Dexta
01-11-2008, 02:27 AM
when have these long contracts worked out? have they? in any sport

Mr_John
01-11-2008, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
when have these long contracts worked out? have they? in any sport

A.Rod and Magic Johnson.

Skyline_Addict
01-11-2008, 03:43 AM
This guy is the most exciting player to watch in the game. I'd say for what he brings to the game, he's worth the money.

three.eighteen.
01-11-2008, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Quizzes
Why would a player need an agent anyway? Ovechkin got good coin by representing himself. Good on him.

You know what this means now... crazy-high long-term contracts for soon-to-be RFAs.

My prediction: Phaneuf... 10 years, $60M... it's possible...

Originally posted by b_t

i was arguing with a friend about phaneuf's next contract, as much as we would all love for him to sign long term at a max of 5.5mil/yr it won't happen if guys like pavel kubina or roman hamrlik can make 5+ million/yr

phaneuf at 6 a year is still a good deal, and unfortunately dion being the cocky retard that he is knows it

i say if he refuses to sign for less than 6.5, wait for an offer sheet to come along, we could use 4 or 5 1st rounders

Jlude
01-11-2008, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
i say if he refuses to sign for less than 6.5, wait for an offer sheet to come along, we could use 4 or 5 1st rounders

Amen!

forced_eg
01-11-2008, 07:33 AM
we could use 4 or 5 1st rounders

good luck on that :rolleyes:

5hift
01-11-2008, 01:47 PM

Kolzig is still a pretty solid goalie, the Caps biggest problem has been on defence.

They also have a really good prospect waiting in the wings for Kolzig to become expendable. Semen Varlamov was a first-round draft pick in 2006 and is considered Russia's best young netminder. Varlamov is currently playing in the Super League where he is their No. 1 goaltender. Only reason he's not aleady here is the well known problem with Russian teams not letting their stars go easily.

mac_82
01-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by forced_eg

RFA compensation if signed by another team:

Offer - Compensation
$3 mill to $4 mill - 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks
$4 mill to $5 mill - 2 x 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks
$5 mill and up - 4 x 1st round picks

buh_buh
01-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by forced_eg

I think fair value for Phaneuf based on the contracts Getzlaf, Richards, Crosby and Ovechkin signed recently, is probably around the $6m/yr range. A RFA offer sheet of over $5m/yr requires compensation of 4 first rounders, so yes, its doable. If no contract is signed until the offseason, and an offer sheet is signed and the number is a lot more than $6m/yr, I'd let him walk and take those 4 first rounders. Especially if they're bottom dwellers like the pick the Oilers are giving to the Ducks this year.

edit: damn, didn't see the second page to the thread, mac_82 beat me to it.

Quizzes
01-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Oilers can't offer anymore first-rounders cuz they gave them to Anaheim.

"IF" the Oilers do tender Phaneuf an offer sheet, they wouldn't have a first-rounder for another 7 years! Is that how it would work??

buh_buh
01-11-2008, 03:46 PM
they can't offer Phaneuf an offer sheet.
They don't have the cap space to do it, let alone draft picks.

kertejud2
01-12-2008, 12:19 PM

The max is 4. But I forget the amount it takes to make a team give up that amount. It was 5 under the old CBA, but no team ever signed an RFA for enough (Fedorov to Carolina and Sakic to the Rangers would have been the only ones).

kertejud2
01-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Oilers can't offer anymore first-rounders cuz they gave them to Anaheim.

"IF" the Oilers do tender Phaneuf an offer sheet, they wouldn't have a first-rounder for another 7 years! Is that how it would work??

They've only given their 2008 1st Rounder to Anaheim. When they signed Penner they gave up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd Round Draft Pick, not three 1st Rounders.

And I know the rule under the old CBA was that you needed say 5 of your next 6 First Rounders (or 4 of the next 5, 3/4 etc). I don't know what the rule is now, but if its the same then the Oilers could sign him if they had the cap room.

googe
01-23-2008, 11:54 AM
just noticed ovechkin is 1st in the nhl in goals and 5th in points, only 1 point behind crosby now. i think crosby gets way too much credit, ovechkin not enough.

max_boost
01-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Sid the Kid is out with a high ankle sprain. Ovechkin gets a lot of credit, look at his contract.

googe
02-11-2008, 11:14 AM
He's stepped up his game even more :eek:

Leading in goals and points

Ovechkin is now only 13 goals away from 60, a number no one has reached since Mario Lemieux in 1995-96. He’s capable of a trophy sweep at the NHL Awards Show on June 21: Hart (MVP), Art Ross (most points), and Maurice Richard (most goals).

sidney who? :zzz:

icecreamvan
02-11-2008, 11:45 AM
So many exciting young players for the next decade!:thumbsup:
I only wish they can drive all those cheap-shot artists out of the league to protect these guys.

pome902
02-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Waht a huge contract, well deserved,
hottest player right now they can lose him =D