PDA

View Full Version : new suspension...?

Destinova403
01-10-2008, 07:11 PM
ok so im thinking of putting in a new suspension on my lude before the summer.

iv been told that its pointless to just go for lowering springs so i have looked into some basic sets of coilovers and the set i have found to have good reviews is the Tein Basic dampers... they seem to be able to do what i want and arent overly expensive but still seem to be high quality.

http://www.andysautosport.com/honda/1997_2002_prelude/suspension/coilovers/tein/tein00039282.html

i have a couple questions...

im only going to do about a 1 inch drop just to close up the fender-gap..

how will this effect the daily drivability of my car? including the winter?
where would be a good place to install it and what should i be looking at for installation costs?
is there anything else i should consider?

Jlude
01-10-2008, 07:18 PM
you should consider lowering it to 1.5" That's how low I dropped my lude and I loved it...

Fusion
01-10-2008, 07:23 PM
i drop about 2.5 on the ksport coilover and its very comfy..Very good suspension

99 SH

Destinova403
01-10-2008, 07:24 PM
yeah i love the look of yours. my rims are 17s not 18s but it would still look really nice.

my plans are to drop it and add the OEM lip kit to it and then it should be the clean look im looking for.

whats nice about the coilovers is that i can choose how low i want it to go... and raise it back up for the winter.

7thgenvic
01-10-2008, 07:25 PM
mehhh, keep it lowered all year. 1 inch isn't going to make a big difference....

GTS Jeff
01-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Entry level Teins are a ripoff. Actually, entry level coilovers of any sort are dumb. They are made with shitty shocks most of the time. And also, the main advantages of coilovers are height adjustability (which most people don't bother with after a couple times) and corner weighting (which is wayyy too hardcore for a daily car.)

If I were you, I'd find a good set of linear rate springs designed for street use, then match that to a good set of shocks. Do some research on the Prelude forums about a good set of springs in terms of drop and spring rate. Koni Yellows are probably the best shocks to use (hey tsi_neal, come here and nitpick again, asshat) but they're also pricey and I believe the only local dealer is Mopac. Koni Yellows are soft in rebound, so your ride quality might even increase from stock.

A 1" drop won't affect driveability much. You'll be fine in the winter. And as long as you don't have wheels that are the wrong offset, you shouldn't have problems with wheel rub either.

Destinova403
01-10-2008, 07:38 PM
so this option you think would be better? it isnt a full coilover set but it will only cost a little bit more. it would be a 1 inch (front) and 0.8 inch (rear) drop which is just fine, enough to close up those fender gaps but not to compromise the drivability of my car year round, or look ricey at all.

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/springs/gf210.asp

http://www.modacar.com/products/Honda/Prelude/KYASK/KONI+Yellow+Adjustable+Sh.html

what do you think of this setup jeff / other people who know whats going on.

EDIT: price would be around 800... so only 50 more

Jlude
01-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
mehhh, keep it lowered all year. 1 inch isn't going to make a big difference....

Yup... 1.5" drop all year round... as long as you pay attention, you'll be fine.

GTS Jeff
01-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403
http://www.tanabe-usa.com/springs/gf210.asp
I'm not a big fan of progressive rate springs for several reasons, but that's personal opinion.

riced
01-10-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm dropped ABOUT 2.2" maybe even 2.1"
Winter driving hasn't been a problem at all, of course you do gotta still be careful.. snow is never usually that bad for you to start plowing it.

The only things that suck about being lowered is: going up or down ramps/driveways, you gotta go slow and at an angle.
potholes, some dips in the road - if you go too fast over it, you'll scrape.
drivability will be the same.. I've set my dampers almost all the way to soft.. I believe it's 3front and 1rear or something.

Installation costs.. well that's another story. Look to be paying at least 350.. various shops quoted me 80-95/hour with 1 hour/corner. so my cousin and I did it myself.

It was actually not all that bad, I suggest you try.. it's very rewarding.

Destinova403
01-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by riced
I'm dropped ABOUT 2.2" maybe even 2.1"
Winter driving hasn't been a problem at all, of course you do gotta still be careful.. snow is never usually that bad for you to start plowing it.

The only things that suck about being lowered is: going up or down ramps/driveways, you gotta go slow and at an angle.
potholes, some dips in the road - if you go too fast over it, you'll scrape.
drivability will be the same.. I've set my dampers almost all the way to soft.. I believe it's 3front and 1rear or something.

Installation costs.. well that's another story. Look to be paying at least 350.. various shops quoted me 80-95/hour with 1 hour/corner. so my cousin and I did it myself.

It was actually not all that bad, I suggest you try.. it's very rewarding.

hmm yeah... im getting the universal consensus that drivability with the drop im looking at wont be effected. some parts of deerfoot will maybe be a little rough but it should be fine.

as far as installing it myself i dont have the skills or the equipment to do it myself, but what i might do is find someone who is willing to help me out and do it with them...

ill pop a thread up for that if i need to in the future.

Jlude
01-10-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm sure you won't have a problem finding guys willing to give you a hand... provided beer and pizza is supplied!!!

Destinova403
01-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
I'm sure you won't have a problem finding guys willing to give you a hand... provided beer and pizza is supplied!!!

no problem providing beer, pizza, and money.

riced
01-10-2008, 10:24 PM
deerfoot isn't that bad either, its really not too big a deal. I was scared the first time driving lowered as well.. But its like nothing now

As for tools, there aren't many things you need, mainly a socket wrench, jack stands... Thats all I can think of honestly
good luck

Doozer
01-10-2008, 10:29 PM
A spring compressor too maybe?

I'm looking to replace my suspension this spring as well, so I might be in the same boat.

riced
01-10-2008, 10:48 PM
as far as I know, you don't need a spring compressor for installing coilovers... only springs... well in my case anyway.

Destinova403
01-10-2008, 11:19 PM
yeah... i think iv decided to do koni yellows and some tanube GF 210 springs... itll do exactly what im looking for... i might even go for the DF springs which are sofer and will drop it a little more but wont be as good for handling... still deciding on that but it might be the cheaper and higher quality option for me.

JRSC00LUDE
01-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Ground control are the spring of favor for many 5th Gen'ers.

Destinova403
01-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Ground control are the spring of favor for many 5th Gen'ers.

whats the drop like? and the spring rates? and where can i get them?

Destinova403
01-23-2008, 01:01 AM
so i finally decided what setup im going to go for.... i did some research and just wanted to get any final oppinions before i order

im going for some Koni Yellow shocks and a set of Tanube GF 210 springs... anyone have any experience dealing with these? and how they would work together?