PDA

View Full Version : Car Jerky In First Gear (Revs <3k)

LongCity
01-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Did a search - couldn't find much but is it normal to have your car a bit jerky in first gear at lower revs?! I googled it and minimal info came up about the topic so I thought I would ask here.

AdvanR
01-10-2008, 10:54 PM
In 1st going under 40 in a 328i is pretty jerky, but it all depends on how much i punch the gas

hampstor
01-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Is your bicycle auto or standard? :rofl:

Seriously though, is your vehicle auto or standard?

Spoons
01-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Probably standard I am guessing, and depending on the year of the car, yes and no. I mean an old car obviously won't be perfect, my car is jerky sometimes in first.

97'Scort
01-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Try slipping the clutch instead of slamming it in? If you're already doing that, try giving it a bit more gas when you're letting the clutch out.

If your clutch engagement isn't the problem, then what do you mean by "jerky?" Does it sound/feel like it's stalling, or does the engine hold its revs while the rest of the car goes bump?

If the engine feels like it's stalling, even at 2k rpm, then your car might be starving for air or fuel (or both) for some reason. You'd also see your revs all over the map too.

If the engine keeps on going fine, then your clutch might be slipping or the traction control kicking in to counteract wheelspin. If your differential is worn out then it might be having trouble locking the plates at higher torque.

LongCity
01-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Bicycle is a standy man. It's sick - shift knob and everything!
It's new, like brand new. Just about 5 months.

That.Guy.S30
01-11-2008, 02:19 AM
ive had this problem in my impreza. it was due to fuel cutoff as soon as i let go of the gas. it was incredably annoying. the solution was to be gentle on the gas.

LongCity
01-11-2008, 02:44 AM
Yah, as soon as you let off the gas it jerks and it isn't subtle either then once you're back on the gas, it gives the same jerk. It's either gentle on the gas or just gassing it.

Zero102
01-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Gotta learn fine pedal control, most standards are like that, they react much more directly than an automatic.

BenC
01-11-2008, 09:52 AM
yeah, most manuals are like that. ease off the pedal instead of just taking your foot off.

JordanEG6
01-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by LongCity
Yah, as soon as you let off the gas it jerks and it isn't subtle either then once you're back on the gas, it gives the same jerk. It's either gentle on the gas or just gassing it.

Maybe it's just the way it's being driven? Try adjusting clutch/gas control. Try finding that one point where the clutch bites and the car starts moving. Then take your foot off the clutch SLOWLY and ease up on the gas.

It sounds like your taking your foot off too early or punching the gas (hard) too late. Make some footwork adjustments

mr2mike
01-11-2008, 01:06 PM
If its really jerking because the ecu is messing with the timing. I would check and read the plugs and probably get new plugs and gap them correctly.

LongCity
01-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

Maybe it's just the way it's being driven? Try adjusting clutch/gas control. Try finding that one point where the clutch bites and the car starts moving. Then take your foot off the clutch SLOWLY and ease up on the gas.

It sounds like your taking your foot off too early or punching the gas (hard) too late. Make some footwork adjustments

It's not that, I can start off fine but when this jerking is happening I'm already off the clutch and moving at about 10-15 km/h.

G-ZUS
01-11-2008, 03:04 PM
How long have you been driving stick for? when i first started, my car used to jerk like ur saying

LongCity
01-11-2008, 03:58 PM
5 months.
I like to think it's not me though, obviously majority would too but I don't start moving and it's jerky, it's primarily when I slow down from around 10-15 or even 20 km/h while in 1st gear. It happens as soon as I release the gas. One friend said it may be the air filter or something of that sort.

Spoons
01-12-2008, 12:33 AM
It's all on easing off the pedal... most standards do it at low speeds like that. Don't just take your foot off the pedal, ease off like everyone has told you. There is nothing else wrong in anything with your car it is just standard vehicles. My vehicle does it and I'm sure many others peoples, if not everyones, standard vehicles do it.

LongCity
01-12-2008, 01:27 AM
K gotcha. I was just making sure.

calgarys_finest
01-12-2008, 01:37 AM
it doesnt have to be the clutch it could also be air or gas issue. is your car a turbo by chance?

gpomp
01-12-2008, 01:46 AM
sounds like you're low on flywheel fluid, you need to top it off.

LongCity
01-12-2008, 02:29 AM
Nope, no turbo. Completely stock.

LongCity
01-12-2008, 03:02 AM
Why would I be on the clutch if I'm not changing gears or almost at a complete stop? I don't think I'm letting off the clutch too quickly because at this point I'm not on the clutch/releasing the clutch anymore.

DonJuan
01-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
sounds like you're low on flywheel fluid, you need to top it off.

Yeah it's probably that.

He may want to switch to synthetic fan fluid as well while you're doing that.

Slashin_
01-12-2008, 10:13 AM
shift to 2nd? insted riding it out on first?

clutch down gas off,neutral!

New2Talon
01-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Same issue, different gear.

If I am in 2nd (cruising) and let off the gas, either fast or slow, the car will buck. It only does this for the first 10 mins or so while its cold. After that I can (un)slam off the gas and no problems. Since the car is still brand new (>1000kms), I'm not sure if it is still breaking in, or if I should get it looked at...