PDA

View Full Version : when to remove winter tires?

Boomph
01-10-2008, 11:35 PM
hey,
i was wondering if anybody had any suggestion on when to remove the winters and insert the summers?

403civic
01-10-2008, 11:36 PM
when the snow dosn't snow away more.....
JK
maybe march/april

onehawtrex
01-10-2008, 11:37 PM
in calgary, u never need winters hahaha...well this year it seems...lol...i always run summers in winter i never change em out.. but i would assume late march

GoChris
01-10-2008, 11:39 PM
well...running summers is pretty retarded. I'd wait till the end of march. it will probably snow in april/may but would melt quick.

Melinda
01-10-2008, 11:41 PM
It always snows may long, but it doesnt stick around very long. Beginning of April is more than safe, but we always get a good dump of snow mid march.

Hakkola
01-10-2008, 11:54 PM
I usually do it at the end of March, street cleaning usually happens in my area during the first week of april, so it makes sense to me.

Boomph
01-11-2008, 12:27 AM
yah i thought March too!
but does this lack of snow hurt the winters? just wondering..
thanks for the opinions guys!

sexualbanana
01-11-2008, 12:32 AM
I posted this a few months ago in another thread. Our winter will usually go as follows:

1) It snows on or just before Halloween (just enough to fuck with trick or treaters). People panic and start changing their tires (sometimes rightfully so, other times, not so much).
2) It warms up for another 4-5 weeks, melting all the snow. Those who changed their tires in October are now upset that they could've squeezed another 4-5 weeks of use out of their summer tires/rims instead of running around on dry pavement with winter tires.
3) People start talking about a warm Christmas. Some people are all for it because they hate the snow. Others are upset (Step 2) and because they like the winter sports.
4) First major snowfall hits around the first week or 2 of December. Everyone complains that they didn't prepare their cars for winter. It takes the average commuter 2.5x the usual time to get to work/school, complain, then take on average another 3x the usual time to get home. Winter people rejoice.
5) End of January rolls around, and we get the first of maybe 3 bitter cold snaps that could last anywhere from 3 days to 7 days. Temperatures reach as low as -35 degrees and a wind chill of -40. Everyone starts to complain, winter people included.
6) Things start to warm up early- to mid April. Everyone gets excited for a new spring and summer. By this time, everyone can't wait for summer to come. Some prematurely install their summer tires/rims.
7) At the end of April, right around finals time for University students, comes one last giant snowfall. Forcing students who either left their house at 5am just to barely make it to school in time for their 8am final, OR, stranding students at home or on any of our major roadways, causing them to miss their exam completely. Those fortunate enough to have a later exam, wait out the storm, and in some cases, have the exams postponed to a later date.
8) 7 days later, snow melts, ice thaws, and we're officially in spring.

Originally posted by Boomph
yah i thought March too!

You'll burn through your tires a little faster, but unless you drive hard all the time, the difference is pretty negligible, imo.

beyondpinoy
01-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Boomph
yah i thought March too!

yeah it does, it actually eats up the tires more faster.. so they go bald faster... which is why you shouldn't use snow tires in the summer...

teggypimp95
01-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by onehawtrex
in calgary, u never need winters hahaha...well this year it seems...lol...i always run summers in winter i never change em out.. but i would assume late march

EVen though you dont need winters becuase the lack of snow, the cold tempretures brake down and eat away at the compound they use in summer tires. Even just storing summers in your garage is a bad idea.

I just use alseasons. That way if its a warm winter your not wearing down your winter tires, and if it snow, they your pretty good also.

kevie88
01-11-2008, 12:59 PM
2nd week of May, after the annual massive May DUMP of snow.

adidas
01-11-2008, 01:00 PM
I rather fork out 500 dollars for winter tires then fork out 3000+ for damage done to the car while im still on summers/all seasons.

teggypimp95
01-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by adidas
I rather fork out 500 dollars for winter tires then fork out 3000+ for damage done to the car while im still on summers/all seasons.

Iv always used alseasons, and i drive across the city everyday. Are you a bad driver?

adidas
01-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95

Iv always used alseasons, and i drive across the city everyday. Are you a bad driver?

Bad driver? I personally dont think so.

There is a reason why winter tires are made. But then again they are not gonna prevent u from getting into a crash. I just think that i rather be on winter tires then risk getting my car in a crash or anything that will prevent me from driving it for a month or more.

01-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Or you can be like 90% of calgarys younger 4x4 drivers...

22'' rims w/ summer rubber and 4 wheel drive > Winter tires on any car.

eviljoe
01-11-2008, 01:49 PM
According to Pirelli the magic # that winter tires are good to is +7 C. That being said use your own judgement. The temperature may vary for different tire makers.

lowryder99
01-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95

the cold tempretures brake down and eat away at the compound they use in summer tires. Even just storing summers in your garage is a bad idea.

Can you explain that more? My brother used to manage a tire shop and he told me that wasn't true at all, that 95% of their summer tires were stored in a non heated storage unit in the winter. But if you have proof I want to read it so I can toss my summers in the basement.

BokCh0y
01-11-2008, 04:16 PM
I'll take mine off end of April....begining of May. You never know with Calgary weather.