PDA

View Full Version : GIS at SAIT?

Trini
01-11-2008, 10:49 AM
The Applied Degree in GIS at SAIT.
Anyone taking it at the moment?
Who has taken it? What was your experience like and how are the job opportunties?

I've talked to one Beyond member who took it he gave some positive feed back on it.

Just trying to gain as much info. as I can before I make a decision.

rinny
01-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Havent taken it, but as far as job opportunities i've come across quite a few ad positions lately looking for GIS diploma, so the need is there.

benyl
01-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Better know how to program and know SQL. Most jobs require it.

leec001
01-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Not a huge market. It has a little difficulity to find a job if you have no relations to or doesn't know anyone in that field refering a job.........................

My previous employer hired a GIS - SAIT graduate as a IT supports since he couldn't find a job and he doesn't have referals.

GIS graduate not familiar with programming:

http://www.midwestsurveys.com/postings/GIS%20Mapping%20Technician%20-%20Calgary.pdf

Most of the companies trends to hire Computer Science graduates.....since they are familiar with computer programming.

Sieve
01-12-2008, 02:54 PM
I was also curious about the SAIT GIS program. I am currently finishing up my bachelors at U of C (geography) specializing in GIS/Remote Sensing. Whereas the University you learn more theory and project management in the courses, I assume the SAIT program is more technical and teaches you how to operate the software. Is it a 2 year or 1 year program?

Trini
01-12-2008, 03:33 PM
I think it is one year full time study and 1 year practicum

bigbadboss101
01-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Female friend I know got work at the City. Looks like a good job too.

Trini
01-14-2008, 09:48 AM
bump
any more advice?

Subwoofah
01-14-2008, 10:41 AM
If you take GIS with another degree you should do well (ie; GIS diploma with B. of Geology or Hydrology)

Trini
01-14-2008, 10:44 AM
^damn I have a degree in Business Management.

Subwoofah is it possible to work part time which studying this or will the work load be too heavy? I understand it is 6 courses a semester.

rinny
01-15-2008, 07:52 PM
Enmax was hiring a GIS diploma as well

leec001
01-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Female friend I know got work at the City. Looks like a good job too.

Sorry, unfortunately the city won't hire any fresh graduates except EITs (Engineer In Training). However, most of them are limited terms - if you don't mind working couple months then find another job.

Posting Title: Addressing Technician
Business Unit/Division: Development & Building Approvals/Addressing & Data Services
Union/Position: CUPE Local 38/Limited Term (up to eight months)
Compensation: Pay Grade 7
$23.26* - 25.58 - 26.87 - 28.20 - 29.62 - 31.11 per hour (2008 Rates)

Qualifications
The successful applicant will possess a recognized two to three year full time diploma in Urban Planning, Geography or Geographic Information Systems (GIS) from a recognized school or institute plus a minimum of one year related work experience. A valid Alberta Class 5 Driver's License with no more than six demerits is also required. Additional training in GIS would be an asset.

As Subwoofah said, it is better to be:
GIS + Hydrology (City/Provincial/...........)
GIS + Geology (Oil & Gas Consultants......)
GIS + Urban Planning (City or Developer........)
GIS + Marketing (Sobeys/McDonald/.....)
GIS + Computer Science (Programmer...)

Absolutely not GIS alone.

Trini
01-15-2008, 11:00 PM
thanks for the info. guys