PDA

View Full Version : Quinn Security

D_flore
01-11-2008, 12:49 PM
I had just wanted to give everyone out there a heads up on this shop. They have recently been advertising on the radio. I knew about this shop about 2 years ago and about 1 year ago I had brought my car in to get an alarm done. I payed $1500 for the worst service and most problematic system I have ever had installed. The car has been back to the shop 6 times now. They did not install things that that I had payed for to get done so I had to go back and get them put in. Yes they acutally did not install everything! I am still missing some things! After this the system was acting up. After all of that I had to go back numerous times to get my perimter sensor adjusted.

They have been in the media with similar problems. (Saying they have installed things but havnt). So watch out.

I had gone to other shops and gotten quotes and they had all told me that the perimiter feature could be problematic. When I went to Quinn they had told me that those guys did not have the experince they did and that they were the best in town and I would never have problems with them. So i payed the extra $700 to get it done "right" I am not the kind of person to cheap out and have problems later on.

A $400 alarm that I had installed at future shop has protected my car better than this. (Future shop does not have a good reputation.) This had been the worst experince. Dont be fooled by there Better Business Bureaus certificates.

I had just warn anybody out there who is looking to get an alarm or starter on there car

03ozwhip
01-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Quinn Secutrity = Shit. all they are is used car salesman. the greasy kind no offense to the non greasy. i think most poeple on here have had problems with them if theyve used them. -1 on Quinn Security.

kevie88
01-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Not really sure how those guys are still in business, I have never heard a good word about Quinn.. Ever!

Weapon_R
01-11-2008, 01:07 PM
How do you pay $1500 for a Quinn brand alarm?

RZRSHARP_SVX
01-11-2008, 01:08 PM
I had nothing but problems with the alarm they installed in my car. they said it wasnt causing my electrical problems. but as soon as it was pulled out it was causing the problems. the guy was a huge ass hole

01-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Theres a reason they give you the "Free Alarm" every year at the stampede. its like the rest of this shit at the stampede it lasts untill the day they leave town then it fucking breaks.

Quinn Security = Fucking Die.

turbo4dr
01-11-2008, 01:33 PM
They are a SCAM

This is how they work and are still in bizzz

So they show up at car shows or other public events with their Gay viper. They set up a table and have a contest to win a free alarm. So people are like wow we could win a free alarm sweet fill out the ballet from and put it in the box. NOW here is the scam 2-3 weeks later you will get a call or a coupon in the mail that says you have won a free alarm from Quinn. The funny thing is everone is a winner. They call everyone that enter's the contest and tells them they have won. So people are like sweet they won he also tells them if they already have a car alarm that they can give the gift certificate to a friend or family member. Once you go there to get your free alarm you find out the only way you get it is if you pay for a install. THATS THE SCAM it's so overpriced for a install and he charges extra for every thing and makes you upgrade to a more expensive alarm in the end you pay $300-1000 for a free alarm that you "won"

pretty good deal for him and thats how he's still in bizz.

SikAssR1
01-11-2008, 03:02 PM
LOL you payed 1500 for a car alarm?

D_flore
01-11-2008, 04:33 PM
trust me i feel stupid now. I talked to the owner today and he had said that the only people who mention they had a bad experince on there on beyond are his competion or old competetion but does anyone have anything good to say about them? lol

Toms-SC
01-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Your own fault. This has been well known for years and years.

Weapon_R
01-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by D_flore
trust me i feel stupid now. I talked to the owner today and he had said that the only people who mention they had a bad experince on there on beyond are his competion or old competetion but does anyone have anything good to say about them? lol

No...no one here installs alarms for a living that trashes him. All of us have been through what you have - some ran before it was too late, some werent so lucky.

88CRXGUY
01-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Yeah I did one of those free alarm things a few years back, at the time I didn't know how much an alarm was. I went and and came out with a one way alarm and some other things for around $600. I did my research and talked to some people and what I got was over priced. I found out for the price that I got my 1-way for I could have bought an alarm/starter 2-way for a cheaper price. I've never been back there since and the guy that I delt with was a total douche.

After the experience with Quinn I started going to Speedtech, I've been giving them my business for the last year and half and haven't had any problems. I'll never go anywhere else for my alarm and audio needs.

Graham_A_M
01-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Just go to Grand car audio. Ringo is a great guy and he does good installs. I've been going to him since he opened, and I've never left upset over anything
:thumbsup:

Smokem
01-11-2008, 05:25 PM
When I first started driving, I had a car alarm installed for $99 (free plus their crap labor which more than covered the costs for the alarm and whatnot). They quoted me $100 for the blinking LED that did not come with the basic install.

I told them no and they said the next time I wanted it, it would cost me $100 for them to take out reprogram the alarm and $100 to install it.

I said fuck and it be on with the $99 alarm. Worked fine and decent, but one day I was chatting it up with a Visions installer and by rapport he hooked me up with a plug in LED, so I went under the car, yanked out the alarm and plugged in the LED - all told probably took me about 4 minutes of time

4 min/60 min = 0.0667 of an hour

$200/0.0667 = $3000/hr for labor

yeeeeaaah okkaaaay!

adam c
01-11-2008, 05:28 PM
should have invested that 1500 into some spell check programs or a dictionary

BokCh0y
01-11-2008, 05:37 PM
what the hell was that brand of alarms he wa selling before? i know he calls them the defender 200 and 300....but i saw them online in the states a while back and they were like $9.99 each. It was some outrageously stupid low cheap priced system.

Weapon_R
01-11-2008, 05:44 PM
The truth is that any alarm can be made pretty decent with the right install and sensors. The problem everyone here has had such an awful experience with Quinn that it makes people stay away.

D_flore
01-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by adam c
should have invested that 1500 into some spell check programs or a dictionary

honors student thanks. what are you doing?

D_flore
01-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Your own fault. This has been well known for years and years.

yep i didnt do my research well enough. I wasnt very familiar with beyond nor had freind doing these kind of things to there cars yet.

88CRXGUY
01-11-2008, 06:58 PM
What were you getting installed that costed you 1500 bucks?

01-11-2008, 07:07 PM
1500 dollars for an alarm, regardless of how many sensors/options/fucking autopilot is absolutely retarded.

If someone quoted me that i would say: " does that come with VTEC YO"

P.S: I have never had anything done from quinn security or even talked to the fag that owns it.

I have only repaired and ripped out countless quinn systems from customers vehicles. And they are FAR FAR worse than any install I have ever seen from FS, Visions, A and B, DERDALL DESIGNS.

88CRXGUY
01-11-2008, 07:10 PM
^^Oh yes Derall Designs lol...

googe
01-11-2008, 07:11 PM
quinn is not for the win

01-11-2008, 07:11 PM
I rank Derdall Designs higher than Quinn.. and for anyone who knows derdall designs... well just LOL.

BokCh0y
01-11-2008, 07:22 PM
^^^^

I didn't think Dardell Designs was up there with Quinn....i've never dealt with Dardell before...but I also haven't heard anything bad. The dude that owns Dardell...didn't he train or work for Quinn?

I've dealt with Quinn and the fag owner....not cool is all i can say.

D_flore
01-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by 88CRXGUY
What were you getting installed that costed you 1500 bucks?

apparently everything that can be done.... not my day... i did not do enough research

still missing stuff after 6th return and have been refused having them installed :banghead: thinking about taking legal action

TurboMedic
01-11-2008, 09:57 PM
At least none of you worked there.....the scam extends to his employees....You are right, its low priced alarms, high priced options....and none of what you pay goes to the employee....its very very shitty "performance pay", and busting your ass all day will net the boss $700-$2000 in what they charged for labour, but the employee would walk away with maybe $100.....Fuck quinn....

GTS Jeff
01-11-2008, 10:07 PM

honors student thanks. what are you doing? You mean "honours" student? In what? Grade 11?:rofl: That shit doesn't mean a thing if you're getting ripped off all over the place...

rmk
01-11-2008, 10:11 PM
I remember the Calgary Police Tactical Unit trucks used to have the Quinn Security decals on the back of them. Not anymore.

88CRXGUY
01-11-2008, 10:43 PM
I had no problem with Derral, I only had 2 things done there and everything was good. Once I stopped going there I started to hear major problems were going on and people were getting really ripped off.

BokCh0y
01-12-2008, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by TurboMedic
At least none of you worked there.....the scam extends to his employees....You are right, its low priced alarms, high priced options....and none of what you pay goes to the employee....its very very shitty "performance pay", and busting your ass all day will net the boss $700-$2000 in what they charged for labour, but the employee would walk away with maybe $100.....Fuck quinn....

You aren't the only one dude.....

Yeah i know waht you mean about employees being ripped off. $15 for the install....$5 for every piece of crap installed after that. LED's he bought from some electronic joint for $20 for a bag of like 50....selling them for $100 for a pair.....yes yes i know all about the scams.

Using scare tactics to sucker the customers into upgrading their alarms.....i remember how the owner used to tell people hes seen criminals drill holes into the side of the car right into the battery and drain the battery fluid then go back after and jack the stereo system...how criminal would walk around with a loonie tapping the glass to see if you have a glasbreak sensor, and if not..whamo....break in. Nothing but bs and scaring people into buying his garbage. If you didn't have the money, they would setup a payment plan for you.

I quit when he started having me sell that same bs to the people...i couldn't do it. Worse was working Monday to Saturday 8-10 hour days literally for $3 bucks an hour in the end. I remember my last pay cheque when I told him i was leaving...all of a sudden all the "big" jobs i did were gone from my invoices...$800 for the whole month minus taxes.

My favorite thing about whats his face was how he'd brag about his place in Douglasdale, his motorcycle and his pos viper that was all gutted.

01-12-2008, 02:07 AM
We should get all of the beyond installers together and see how hard it would be to get around that Quinn alarm, in that Quinn viper, and then donate it to the kidney foundation.

Hahahahaa......

TomcoPDR
01-12-2008, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by 410440
I rank Derdall Designs higher than Quinn.. and for anyone who knows derdall designs... well just LOL.

All's I know is he should lose some weight, and stop losing people's properties. I consigned a $300 (when new) stereo with him, selling within 3 months for $150 and giving him $50/me $100... somehow it got "lost" :cry:

Also did a couple of dent removal jobs for his clients, told him to bill it through his company (so it'll be on same bill of his stereo installs; easier for customer), and I'll just "bank my invoices" with him when I needed some electronics... When it came time to needing a remote starter, he charged me full price :rofl: $500 for a 2-way, no-name brand.

googe
01-12-2008, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

You aren't the only one dude.....

Yeah i know waht you mean about employees being ripped off. $15 for the install....$5 for every piece of crap installed after that. LED's he bought from some electronic joint for $20 for a bag of like 50....selling them for $100 for a pair.....yes yes i know all about the scams.

Using scare tactics to sucker the customers into upgrading their alarms.....i remember how the owner used to tell people hes seen criminals drill holes into the side of the car right into the battery and drain the battery fluid then go back after and jack the stereo system...how criminal would walk around with a loonie tapping the glass to see if you have a glasbreak sensor, and if not..whamo....break in. Nothing but bs and scaring people into buying his garbage. If you didn't have the money, they would setup a payment plan for you.

I quit when he started having me sell that same bs to the people...i couldn't do it. Worse was working Monday to Saturday 8-10 hour days literally for $3 bucks an hour in the end. I remember my last pay cheque when I told him i was leaving...all of a sudden all the "big" jobs i did were gone from my invoices...$800 for the whole month minus taxes.

My favorite thing about whats his face was how he'd brag about his place in Douglasdale, his motorcycle and his pos viper that was all gutted.

why didnt you report it to the alberta labor relations board?

rmk
01-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Also did a couple of dent removal jobs for his clients, told him to bill it through his company (so it'll be on same bill of his stereo installs; easier for customer), and I'll just "bank my invoices" with him when I needed some electronics... When it came time to needing a remote starter, he charged me full price :rofl: $500 for a 2-way, no-name brand.

(shaking head)

D_flore
01-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
You mean "honours" student? In what? Grade 11?:rofl: That shit doesn't mean a thing if you're getting ripped off all over the place...

no college. not an english major haha. Check what skills are needed out there right now and focus on them rather than bashing others.

are u confusued? i have already said it was a ONE time mistake and it was stupid of me.

TurboMedic
01-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by googe

why didnt you report it to the alberta labor relations board?

Funny you should mention that....I protested every time there was no cars in the shop, that I shouldn't need to stick around because I wasn't getting paid hourly......It was bull that just as stated above the work days were 6 days a week, sometimes up to 12 hours, but couldn't leave till whatever time they closed up shop.....I was, and I'm sure others were, naive 18 year old kids, who were taken in by his "you can make up to $4000/month" crap, and signed that stupid contract thingy he has, and I'm sure that waives any ability to pursue that....I put out a TON in that shop....

I don't know though....I got fired for being too vocal about Dan making all the money and us none....

This was YEARS ago for me, almost 9 now....surprised its still around pulling the same old shit time and time again...

dimi
01-12-2008, 08:09 PM
$1500 for an alarm system, HOLY FUCK! You could get a gun for that money :dunno:

88CRXGUY
01-12-2008, 08:25 PM
You can get 3 two way compustar alarm/starters for that much, shit..

BokCh0y
01-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by TurboMedic

Funny you should mention that....I protested every time there was no cars in the shop, that I shouldn't need to stick around because I wasn't getting paid hourly......It was bull that just as stated above the work days were 6 days a week, sometimes up to 12 hours, but couldn't leave till whatever time they closed up shop.....I was, and I'm sure others were, naive 18 year old kids, who were taken in by his "you can make up to $4000/month" crap, and signed that stupid contract thingy he has, and I'm sure that waives any ability to pursue that....I put out a TON in that shop....

I don't know though....I got fired for being too vocal about Dan making all the money and us none....

This was YEARS ago for me, almost 9 now....surprised its still around pulling the same old shit time and time again...

:werd:

That joint is run like a sweat shop, the owner is a crook.....

I worked there about 9 years ago as well hahaha.

I remember when i left....Dan went through my tool box and kept every tool he gave me and even questioned me about stuff i bought myself and brought in from home....he used to tell everyone there about how he knows all teh cops and they're all friends and stuff and that if he ever caught us stealing or whatver, he'd have the cops beat us senseless then toss us in the clink for a very long time. He also used to say he has affiliations with Hells Angels and that after we got outta jail for stealing, we'd have to deal with his friends on the other side of the law.

ottamania
01-13-2008, 12:03 AM
when I bought my civic, it came with queen alarm but the remote didnt work. so i talked to the owner. he is like ok its 75 for 1 of them $95 for 2 of them. I ended up buying 2. and I asked if my car had remote start as well. he checked it out. he told me that i dont have it. and than he was showing me how to set the alarm and all that.He told me that i need some buttons for it to set it. he told me its $50. i said ok lets do it.(since i dont know notin bout alarms). anyways they installed it. i was about to leave, he comes again with a bootle of power up oil. He said it will give me more power. :) i didnt even ask how much. I left. i dont think i will ever go back. :thumbsdow

n1zm0
01-13-2008, 03:19 PM
i won a alarm at the car show from them a while back, they put it in and halfway through the install they called me to say they are going to do new pwr door lock actuators, more lights and more bs, i bitched and said there is no reason why i needed all these things and they didnt do it

i guess they try to make the extra buck by saying you NEED these extra things

ALSO, the alarm horn attached to the front of the firewall fell off 2 weeks later, the screws they put on were stripped upon further inspection and forced into the firewall

worst place EVER to get your alarm system installed.

googe
01-13-2008, 03:35 PM
You can't legally sign away your basic labor rights. If you sign something that denies you stuff like minimum wage, the contract isn't worth the paper it's written on, and you still have recourse. Too late now I guess, but fyi...

G-ZUS
01-13-2008, 03:45 PM
The owner is a greasy motherfucker:thumbsdow

urban.one
01-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Make a complaint to the BBB.

They got 6 complaints in the past 36 months.

http://www.betterbusinessbureau.ca/CompanyReports/Index.aspx

The BBB logo is prominently displayed on the Quinn website.

TurboMedic
01-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

:werd:

That joint is run like a sweat shop, the owner is a crook.....

I worked there about 9 years ago as well hahaha.

I remember when i left....Dan went through my tool box and kept every tool he gave me and even questioned me about stuff i bought myself and brought in from home....he used to tell everyone there about how he knows all teh cops and they're all friends and stuff and that if he ever caught us stealing or whatver, he'd have the cops beat us senseless then toss us in the clink for a very long time. He also used to say he has affiliations with Hells Angels and that after we got outta jail for stealing, we'd have to deal with his friends on the other side of the law.

Haha....shit, I forgot about the toolbox inspections....Guess in his mind "whats yours is mine, and whats mine is mine"....

Fuck 'em all!

ekcondon
01-15-2008, 11:24 AM
I was one of those people that won the "Free Security System" from the stampede draw, I thought, well, might as well check it out as my old sunfire came with a Quinn system that the lady had installed before I purchased the car. It's amazing how a "Free" system became $250+ dollars, INCLUDING! a fee to remove their own old system to upgrade the new one. Terrible service, didn't like how the owner talked to me. I would not recommend Quinn to anyone.

TurboZombie
01-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by ekcondon
I was one of those people that won the "Free Security System" from the stampede draw, I thought, well, might as well check it out as my old sunfire came with a Quinn system that the lady had installed before I purchased the car. It's amazing how a "Free" system became $250+ dollars, INCLUDING! a fee to remove their own old system to upgrade the new one. Terrible service, didn't like how the owner talked to me. I would not recommend Quinn to anyone.

Is your old Sunfire a white GT model by chance?

adam c
01-15-2008, 11:46 AM

honors student thanks. what are you doing?

IT Project Manager thanks

Douche
01-15-2008, 01:32 PM
^^ :drama:

My sister also had a bad experience from Quinn.

Everyone I know who entered those draws for the free alarm system has won. My sister, my friend and I. I am the only one that never used it, and I am so glad that I didn't take their shady offer. I expected to pay for extras, but they went over board with everything.

rmk
01-15-2008, 01:55 PM
I just threw my hat in the ring here and alerted Lamborghini that Quinn is using a photo of their Concept S model on the main QS homepage.

:thumbsup:

ekcondon
01-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Hi TurboZombie, no, it wasn't a white GT model one, it was a base '95 red one that came with a Quinn system.

and Douche, I know what you mean about the "Extras" thing, I expected to pay a little for a "free" system (after all, nothing is 100% "Free") but they went WAY overboard. I think I told them 10 times, "All i want is the system on the sheet" and they kept going on, well there is this and this and this, oh and if you want hood protection you will need this, it's really frustrating!

rmk - Bravo!