PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal? 95 DSM

A790
01-11-2008, 02:09 PM
1995 Eagle Talon TSI AWD - 131,000 KM's - 5 speed - $6,500. Is that worth it?

funkedelic
01-11-2008, 02:13 PM
sounds like a good deal

962 kid
01-11-2008, 02:14 PM
pics? mods? condition? If everything checks out with it, that's a pretty good deal - low kms too. Plus, if you ever decide to mod it, you already have the EEPROM ECU ;)

A790
01-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid
pics? mods? condition? If everything checks out with it, that's a pretty good deal - low kms too. Plus, if you ever decide to mod it, you already have the EEPROM ECU ;)
Stock, and it's just a green talon in good condition. What is EEPROM?

962 kid
01-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Oops, I meant EPROM. Basically, it's like a Honda ECU in that you can have it socketed and then put in custom burnt chips. There are a couple options for the EPROM cars, but the most common/widely supported is easily DSMlink. Basically you have the ECU socketed, get DSMlink, plug it in and you have the perfect starter fuel management system. There is also a cheaper, better (imo) system called DS-map which converts the car to speed-density and offers more flexible tuning.

A790
01-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Oops, I meant EPROM. Basically, it's like a Honda ECU in that you can have it socketed and then put in custom burnt chips. There are a couple options for the EPROM cars, but the most common/widely supported is easily DSMlink. Basically you have the ECU socketed, get DSMlink, plug it in and you have the perfect starter fuel management system. There is also a cheaper, better (imo) system called DS-map which converts the car to speed-density and offers more flexible tuning.
The Talon will likely remain stock as it will be my winter car. The MR2 is the summer car :)

gtr34
01-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Check if there is any crankwalk. These cars are known for this problem.

A790
01-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by gtr34
Check if there is any crankwalk. These cars are known for this problem.
I asked and he said no, but I'd like to know how to check for myself.

EK 2.0
01-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Oh the DSM...maybe one day I will build one again and CycloneAWD will rise again....haha...

Essentially if you would like to check yourself for crankwalk...and even doing this is could check out fine on Saturday and your issue might not arise till Monday...but you could listen for a ticking noise from the timing belt area...or the major symptoms are as follows...

1. Difficulty engaging the clutch
2. The clutch sticking when turning left mainly.
3. Inconsistent clutch engagement height.
4. If the previous owner has replace the Crank Angle Sensor then its a pretty positive sign that the crank it about the go on you. Most peeps replace the sensor when it goes not considering it was the crankshaft itself that cause the sensor to keel over and die.

But the big thing, and this is NOT gospel is at the KMS the car has now...if the crank was gonna shift on you it would have already.

A790
01-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
Oh the DSM...maybe one day I will build one again and CycloneAWD will rise again....haha...

Essentially if you would like to check yourself for crankwalk...and even doing this is could check out fine on Saturday and your issue might not arise till Monday...but you could listen for a ticking noise from the timing belt area...or the major symptoms are as follows...

1. Difficulty engaging the clutch
2. The clutch sticking when turning left mainly.
3. Inconsistent clutch engagement height.
4. If the previous owner has replace the Crank Angle Sensor then its a pretty positive sign that the crank it about the go on you. Most peeps replace the sensor when it goes not considering it was the crankshaft itself that cause the sensor to keel over and die.

But the big thing, and this is NOT gospel is at the KMS the car has now...if the crank was gonna shift on you it would have already.
Thanks for the information bud! Right now I'm torn between this car and a 2003 Saab 2.0T (the 210 HP version). I love the look/AWD part of the Talon, but the Saab's a nice ride.

Anyway, I'm checking it out tomorrow :)

962 kid
01-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by A790

The Talon will likely remain stock as it will be my winter car. The MR2 is the summer car :)

You say that now ;) just wait until you find out how easy it is to make the dsm fast compared to the mr2 haha

A790
01-11-2008, 06:42 PM

You say that now ;) just wait until you find out how easy it is to make the dsm fast compared to the mr2 haha
DSM lacks t-tops :P

A790
01-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Saw the car, in pretty good shape. Mechanically it ran/boosted well, didn't seem to be any real major problems aside from the air conditioner compressor being disconnected as the compressor was shot.

He wanted $6,500 and I was responsible for certification/etest (stupid ON), but I got him down to $6,100 and he certified/e-tests it. I'll have the car in about a week, will post pics then.

I never realized that TSi's were pretty much always boosting when driving around town- my old S13 and the MR2 are easy to keep out of boost.

mark4091
01-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Sounds good.

2.0turbo
01-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Pretty good deal alright. Damn these cars are getting cheap. Bad rap I guess, being pretty low on the reliability scale and all.

And EK2.0, after going to honda, DSM's won't have you back.

Also, crank walk seems to happen around the 170k range on the 7 bolt motor, so keep and eye on that and don't upgrade the clutch to a heavy pressure plate, you'll only cause crank walk faster. You can pretty much be gauranteed that the crankwalk process has already started and expect to be putting in a new motor in a couple years if you have it that long.

Be sure that the timing belt and balance shaft belt has been done since it's past due if it hasn't been.

Anyway, good luck with it, they are fun cars.

403Gemini
01-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Honestly probably one of my favorite cars ever made, but im so scared of them for reliability reasons.

3 friends have owned dsms....

3 friends have had consistant problems with them

A790
01-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by 2.0turbo
Pretty good deal alright. Damn these cars are getting cheap. Bad rap I guess, being pretty low on the reliability scale and all.

Also, crank walk seems to happen around the 170k range on the 7 bolt motor, so keep and eye on that and don't upgrade the clutch to a heavy pressure plate, you'll only cause crank walk faster. You can pretty much be gauranteed that the crankwalk process has already started and expect to be putting in a new motor in a couple years if you have it that long.

Be sure that the timing belt and balance shaft belt has been done since it's past due if it hasn't been.

Anyway, good luck with it, they are fun cars.
LOL yay at crankwalk :(

I keep wondering if I should modify this thing or not... *sigh*, we'll see. I want to get some Enkei Arashi rims for it but can't figure out WHERE to get the damn things.

Timing belt/balance shaft have both been done. I'll post pics when I get it this weekend/early next week.

01-15-2008, 12:26 PM
hey wayne remember when we went to test that DSM way back when and were ripping around residentials at like 80kph?

haha. that green one up in the northeast.

2.0turbo
01-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Thats just a dumb thing to say. What do you think is going to happen when you say something dumb like that.

Anyhow A790, here is a good site to find cheap wheels and rubber shipped to your door. A guy on the dsm forum has had experience with it, and it was all good.

http://www.wheelsnext.com/

I don't think you'll find the exact wheel but you might.

good luck with the ride.

And here's a link to the topic on the dsm forum

http://www.calgarydsm.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2757

403Gemini
01-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by 410440
hey wayne remember when we went to test that DSM way back when and were ripping around residentials at like 80kph?

haha. that green one up in the northeast.

I didnt go 80 kph, i barely got it out of second gear lol i dont like to bag peoples cars in test drives ;) even tho u were telling me to punch it haha

A790
01-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Thats just a dumb thing to say. What do you think is going to happen when you say something dumb like that.

Anyhow A790, here is a good site to find cheap wheels and rubber shipped to your door. A guy on the dsm forum has had experience with it, and it was all good.

http://www.wheelsnext.com/

I don't think you'll find the exact wheel but you might.

good luck with the ride.

And here's a link to the topic on the dsm forum

http://www.calgarydsm.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2757
Thanks for the link 2.0turbo! I've already ordered an EvoIII 16g and a ETC FMIC kit (small version, as I want to keep my foglights w/ my 2Ga bumper.

A790
01-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Uhhh... so I am reading some more and starting to get concerned about crankwalk. Give it to me straight: WTF?!

Should I be worried about this?

403Gemini
01-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Uhhh... so I am reading some more and starting to get concerned about crankwalk. Give it to me straight: WTF?!

Should I be worried about this?

I dont believe the 95's have that big of an issue with the crankwalk (least i dont believe...) i always thought it was the 97-98's that had the major issues?

962 kid
01-15-2008, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the link 2.0turbo! I've already ordered an EvoIII 16g and a ETC FMIC kit (small version, as I want to keep my foglights w/ my 2Ga bumper.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: told you so. As for crankwalk... I wouldn't get to worried about it. So many 2g guys are super paranoid about their 7 bolts walking that they just drop it out and put in a 6 bolt which seems like a waste of an engine to me. Crank walk isn't a sure thing, so just stick with it and mod it if you want. We built a 1995 dsm with SDS, a 50 trim and an ACT2600 (stay away from this clutch btw) a couple years ago and he's had no problems with it since. Just stick with the 7 bolt, no need to lose sleep over it.

EK 2.0
01-15-2008, 06:42 PM

Awww....:cry:

A790
01-15-2008, 06:48 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: told you so. As for crankwalk... I wouldn't get to worried about it. So many 2g guys are super paranoid about their 7 bolts walking that they just drop it out and put in a 6 bolt which seems like a waste of an engine to me. Crank walk isn't a sure thing, so just stick with it and mod it if you want. We built a 1995 dsm with SDS, a 50 trim and an ACT2600 (stay away from this clutch btw) a couple years ago and he's had no problems with it since. Just stick with the 7 bolt, no need to lose sleep over it.
Fiiiiiine. I hope it doesn't die on me (that'd probably piss me off).

Anyway, so I've decided to lightly mod it for those days the MR2 is in the shop and I still want to go fast. FMIC, 16g, intake+exhaust, recirc'd BOV, boost controller, and a better lowering setup (it current has springs but I don't know what brand- they're stiff, reallly stuff.). 300HP and I'll call it a day ;)