http://media.mitsubishicars.com/detail?mid=MIT2008011143744&mime=ASC

Description (Eng/Tran) Suggested Retail Price*** Comments
Lancer Evolution GSR - DOHC I4 MIVEC Turbo (2.0L/5MT) $32,990.00 5-Speed Manual

Canmorite
01-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Jeebus. Thats a bargain!

4wheeldrift
01-11-2008, 04:52 PM
I'd love to see them price it for $36k-ish up here and force Subaru to take a hack saw to the price of the STi. Doubt that will happen tho.

lewdvig
01-11-2008, 05:03 PM
They should take a hacksaw to the body of the STI while they are at it... U_G_L_Y

ugh guh lee

Canmorite
01-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by lewdvig
They should take a hacksaw to the body of the STI while they are at it... U_G_L_Y

ugh guh lee

Its not so much ugly, as it is boring.

funkedelic
01-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

Its not so much ugly, as it is boring.

no, its pretty ugly! as much i love the sti's, the new look is just disgusting in my opinion

the evo is dirt cheap, too bad they won't be anywhere near that here and we can't import them from the U.S either :cry:

pinoyhero
01-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Seems cheap but thats pretty ugly

GTS Jeff
01-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Seems cheap but thats pretty ugly The Evo IX was $31500, so no, I don't think it's cheap.

At first, I thought the Evo X was really good looking and the STI horrid, but over time, I've come to appreciate the ballsy new look of the STI, and the EVO's design seems pretty conventional and dated in contrast. The STI is wide, low, and ridiculously mean. Switching to a hatchback is achieves a more European look; it makes the STI look like a hot hatch on steroids. The fact that it is considered ugly by most people is a plus, as that will hopefully filter out a lot of ricer fanboys.

Canmorite
01-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

The STI is wide, low, and ridiculously mean. Switching to a hatchback is achieves a more European look; it makes the STI look like a hot hatch on steroids.

I've always liked hatches/wagons, but I would take a 02 version over a new STI. The old headlight/foglight combination was the best. With a some mods, it'd be comparable to the 08 version.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2162/wrx4hch1.jpg

GTS Jeff
01-12-2008, 01:08 PM

I've always liked hatches/wagons, but I would take a 02 version over a new STI. The old headlight/foglight combination was the best. With a some mods, it'd be comparable to the 08 version.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2162/wrx4hch1.jpg I think when the 02s came out, there was way more criticism of the bug eyes than there is now of the new STIs. There's a reason Subaru got rid of the bug eyes in 04.

And the GD chassis was pretty crappy too. Everyone knows that the old Imprezas weren't exactly known for good chassis tuning. They're tin can cars. That WRX wagon you posted isn't even close to an STI, let alone an 08!

Let's see:

-engine has to fairly modded to even approach the same power levels of the 08, without the same smoothness. The new EJ25 has dual AVCS...
-it's missing DCCD and a front LSD. The AWD system in an STI is light years ahead of the simple viscous coupled center diff in an 02 WRX.
-the tranny and center diff in those old GDs were notorious for breaking at the drag strip.
-suspension setup is ghetto. Soft as hell, yet the ride quality is still terrible.
-interior is brutal.
-It will never stop in 105 ft from 60-0.

When you say "some mods" I'd say yeah, like $20k in mods....

01RedDX
01-12-2008, 01:31 PM

ryeguy252
01-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Is there no way to import this to Canada? What if you use a US address if you have family there?

max_boost
01-12-2008, 01:46 PM
^^

They are selling them here so why buy from the US? Unless if you are talking about the previous generation of Evo's. Those are inadmissible.

Canmorite
01-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Let's see:

-engine has to fairly modded to even approach the same power levels of the 08, without the same smoothness. The new EJ25 has dual AVCS...
-it's missing DCCD and a front LSD. The AWD system in an STI is light years ahead of the simple viscous coupled center diff in an 02 WRX.
-the tranny and center diff in those old GDs were notorious for breaking at the drag strip.
-suspension setup is ghetto. Soft as hell, yet the ride quality is still terrible.
-interior is brutal.
-It will never stop in 105 ft from 60-0.

When you say "some mods" I'd say yeah, like $20k in mods....

True enough. 20K in mods would bring a used 02 WRX close to or above MSRP of the 08 STI's. In terms of styling though, the 'bugeyes' are my favorite. 07s are next.

If I could only get a new STI styled like the old ones :D

benyl
01-12-2008, 04:02 PM

True enough. 20K in mods would bring a used 02 WRX close to or above MSRP of the 08 STI's. In terms of styling though, the 'bugeyes' are my favorite. 07s are next.

You can. Just convince anyone with an 02/03 bug eye impreza (doesn't have to be WRX) to swap with you on your 04/05/06/07 STi.

You need to swap the fenders, bumpers (inner and outer shell), hood, and lights. Not much to it really.

It should be plug and play. Nobody has done it because the 02/03 is so ugly. hahaha

GTS Jeff
01-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
^^

They are selling them here so why buy from the US? Unless if you are talking about the previous generation of Evo's. Those are inadmissible.

RIV list shows 08 Evo as inadmissible as well. Not sure why.

Heh. Just wait 6 years and everyone will think the 08 is the hottest shit ever.

benyl
01-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Probably different bumpers. Or maybe it is immobilizer. Has the law been changed yet?

GTS Jeff
01-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Probably different bumpers. Or maybe it is immobilizer. Has the law been changed yet? Yeah the immobilizer law has been changed, but the bumper law is still being reconsidered.