PDA

View Full Version : At what speed should you drive?

lianli
01-11-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm a fairly new driver, I've had my license for a year and a half. I understand that the simple answer is the speed limit but I've noticed, especially within the past couple of months that driving even 5 over the speed limit (on a 60 70 zone) gets you honked at, tailed to just a couple of inches, angry drive bys and so on. So what speed should I go? If the flow of traffic is 15 over, will a cop pull me over if say, I'm the closest car to the officer? I've never got a speeding ticket but Im sick of other drivers nearly running into my car.

Smokem
01-11-2008, 05:10 PM
sometimes i'm one of those drivers who does the angry drive bys, other times i'm just like you

my advice is for you to drive as comfortably as you can, as long as you are within 5-10km of the speed limit +/- you are driving fine

if you rear end someone, it's your fault, if they rear end you, it's theirs

one thing i like to do with people tailing me is to give a nice quick one second stomp on the brakes to remind them to maintain a driving distance so eloquently presented by the Calgary Police Office with their nice stickers

adam c
01-11-2008, 05:12 PM
go with the flow as long as u aren't going crazy over the speed limit.. going under or even the speed limit of some roads will get u shot one day

and on deerfoot, going under the speed limit is more dangerous than actually speeding

88CRXGUY
01-11-2008, 05:14 PM
I agree with what this poster is saying. I'm sure that alot of us on the board do this, sometimes we are aggressive and sometimes we are just fine driving the speed limit. When it comes to driving everyone is just in a rush to get where they need to go, they aren't thinking about what things that could happen when they are excessivly speeding, tailgating etc. You should just go the speed that you are comfortable, I wouldn't speed up just for the sake of other drivers that are doing it. For all you know that one time that you are following the speed of traffic you could get busted, that explination wouldn't be good enough for the officer that pulls you over.

Graham_A_M
01-11-2008, 05:14 PM
just go with the flow. I do 115-118 on the highways. As the speedlimit is max 110. The police CANNOT give you a ticket for doing LESS then 10 km's over the speedlimit. Unless you were doing something called "driving too fast for conditions" such as doing 100 on deerfoot while there is idiotic snow storms and everybody is crawling along at 30. :dunno:

adam c
01-11-2008, 05:17 PM
and at the same time they can give u a ticket for driving too slow.. Obstructing the Flow of Traffic is what i believed its called, i've seen people get them

lianli
01-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by adam c
and at the same time they can give u a ticket for driving too slow.. Obstructing the Flow of Traffic is what i believed its called, i've seen people get them

:eek:

haha well I know better then to drive below the speed limit. So generally, I won't get a ticket if I drive around 5-10 over the limt? Is this the same for the photo...radar?

Smokem
01-11-2008, 05:28 PM
keep it under 10 over and you should be fine, but due to the technicality of the law, if you are 1 over they can give you a ticket, generally it does not happen though

Palmiros
01-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by lianli

:eek:

haha well I know better then to drive below the speed limit. So generally, I won't get a ticket if I drive around 5-10 over the limt? Is this the same for the photo...radar?

That might be a question for one of the fellow officers here on the board.

As a guess, I'd say 5 over the limit would not get you a ticket from photo radar; 10 might be pushing it a bit.

adam c
01-11-2008, 05:30 PM
from what i heard about photo radar.. anything under 9% above the speed limit won't activate the sensor

alias
01-11-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm a fairly new driver, I've had my license for a year and a half. I understand that the simple answer is the speed limit but I've noticed, especially within the past couple of months that driving even 5 over the speed limit (on a 60 70 zone) gets you honked at, tailed to just a couple of inches, angry drive bys and so on. So what speed should I go? If the flow of traffic is 15 over, will a cop pull me over if say, I'm the closest car to the officer? I've never got a speeding ticket but Im sick of other drivers nearly running into my car.

this is a tough one. i think that as a rule of thumb you should just go with the flow of traffic. and when i say flow that doesnt mean just you and another car. if you are on the highway for example and you stay with a pack of vehicles (5-8 cars) you shoud be pretty safe to stay with the speed they are travelling at.

at the end of the day its really up to the officer if he or she wants to ticket you.

GTS Jeff
01-11-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm a fairly new driver, I've had my license for a year and a half. I understand that the simple answer is the speed limit but I've noticed, especially within the past couple of months that driving even 5 over the speed limit (on a 60 70 zone) gets you honked at, tailed to just a couple of inches, angry drive bys and so on. So what speed should I go? If the flow of traffic is 15 over, will a cop pull me over if say, I'm the closest car to the officer? I've never got a speeding ticket but Im sick of other drivers nearly running into my car. Drive as slow as you want, but don't hold up traffic.

People aren't pissed that you're slow, they're pissed that you're slowing everyone else down too. So be considerate and move the hell over.

JRSC00LUDE
01-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Smokem
one thing i like to do with people tailing me is to give a nice quick one second stomp on the brakes to remind them to maintain a driving distance so eloquently presented by the Calgary Police Office with their nice stickers

Haha, that made me think of "stoppie" in this old thread and how 12 posts down you see that karma kicked his big gay ass! :rofl:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/142496/oh-my-god/

Mazstyle
01-11-2008, 11:15 PM
10 over is a pretty good rule of thumb, and keep right except to pass ( I know it's a simple concept but some people still don't get it). Oh yeah and DON'T SIDE RIDE, thats when you and another car just kinda hang out with each other on a 2 lane road.

Graham_A_M
01-11-2008, 11:19 PM
^ LESS then 10 km's over the limit. 10km's over is a fine right there:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

TrailBlazerSS
01-11-2008, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
....So be considerate and move the hell over.

If only all slow pokes would take that advise!

Don't you just love it when there are several lanes with a car in each, poking along at the same speed, not letting anyone by.... kinda like a slow moving wall!
grrrrrrrr!!

:banghead:

Tik-Tok
01-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Do whatever speed you like, but if your going <10km over the limit, please, don't drive in the left hand lane of a major road.

962 kid
01-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Do whatever speed you like, but if your going &lt;10km over the limit, please, don't drive in the left hand lane of a major road.

Left lane here isn't a "fast lane," that just screws everyone up :rolleyes: people that think that the left lane is for faster cars get pissed off when someone is doing the speed limit in the left lane, even if the middle lane is open. Drive in the lane with the cars going the same speed as you, whichever lane that is.

As for the original question... drive whatever speed you feel comfortable at. Either speed up a little and take the risk of getting a ticket, or just drive the speed limit and don't be bothered by the other drivers (or get out of the way). Even on deerfoot there's usually a lane you should be able to go <10km over the limit without disrupting the flow of traffic.

lianli
01-12-2008, 12:15 PM
I've always thought of myself as a considerate driver. I'll move out of the right lane when approaching a red light so that drivers behind me can do the right turn. I'll usually let drivers in when there's a big pile up (well only if they've been waiting a while, not if they just come out of no where expecting to budge everyone and I do consider the cars behind me as well) and I'll even pull over if someone calls me.

I'm aware of the concept of a fast lane on a highway but I've never heard of such a thing for two lane roads with speed limits of 50, 60 ect. Honestly, I would "move the hell over" but some of the (train of) cars are moving at such a quick pace that I would rather stay where I am then risk changing lanes and getting rear ended by a speeding car. (The majority of these cars never signal when they change lanes either. :rolleyes: ) That's not saying I dont move though, if I can see them approaching me in my rear view and the car is a still far behind me, I do change lanes.

But thanks guys, I'll just go flow of traffic or 5 over when Im alone.

ExOz
01-13-2008, 06:34 PM
The comments about the police understanding or not understanding the "I was merely going with the flow of traffic officer!" explanation reminds me of a joke which is fairly true:

A driver was sitting in among 10 other cars all speeding. A police car pulls him over and advises the driver he is being booked for speeding.
"But officer, I was just going with the flow of traffic, surely you can't book me without booking the rest of the cars??"

"You ever been fishing sir?"

"Uhm, yes, I've been fishing."

"Ever caught every fish in the sea?"

LadyTurbo
01-13-2008, 06:38 PM
9 km/h over the speed limit FTW!

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Haha, that made me think of &quot;stoppie&quot; in this old thread and how 12 posts down you see that karma kicked his big gay ass! :rofl:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/142496/oh-my-god/

Funny how he never did post again after he said he would be back... wasn't even banned.

I've always thought of myself as a considerate driver. I'll move out of the right lane when approaching a red light so that drivers behind me can do the right turn. I'll usually let drivers in when there's a big pile up (well only if they've been waiting a while, not if they just come out of no where expecting to budge everyone and I do consider the cars behind me as well) and I'll even pull over if someone calls me.

I'm aware of the concept of a fast lane on a highway but I've never heard of such a thing for two lane roads with speed limits of 50, 60 ect. Honestly, I would &quot;move the hell over&quot; but some of the (train of) cars are moving at such a quick pace that I would rather stay where I am then risk changing lanes and getting rear ended by a speeding car. (The majority of these cars never signal when they change lanes either. :rolleyes: ) That's not saying I dont move though, if I can see them approaching me in my rear view and the car is a still far behind me, I do change lanes.

But thanks guys, I'll just go flow of traffic or 5 over when Im alone.

Good idea. Never let other drivers push you around, but honestly, as long as there is an open lane around you, you shouldn't get too much hate. I was driving the speed limit home one time cause I had just put my spare on (my drivers side front tire blew on me) and I had some Dodge ram finger me, honk at me, and cut me off... For driving the limit.

Originally posted by ExOz
The comments about the police understanding or not understanding the &quot;I was merely going with the flow of traffic officer!&quot; explanation reminds me of a joke which is fairly true:

A driver was sitting in among 10 other cars all speeding. A police car pulls him over and advises the driver he is being booked for speeding.
&quot;But officer, I was just going with the flow of traffic, surely you can't book me without booking the rest of the cars??&quot;

"You ever been fishing sir?"

"Uhm, yes, I've been fishing."

"Ever caught every fish in the sea?"

That's awesome. I can deff relate with that.

ashee
01-13-2008, 07:20 PM
I got a ticket for being 6kms over.

lilmira
01-13-2008, 07:21 PM
If you don't want ticket, just stay under the radar. Staying with the flow of traffic is usually good enough. If you are going to speed, don't be the first, make sure that there are a few speeders ahead of you.

People are usually not mad at slow traffic, just the ones holding up the traffic. I see people doing formation on Crowchild everyday. Regardless of how fast you are going, be courteous and pay attention to the traffic around you. If you see anyone approaching, give them room to pass by either slowing down or speeding up. Don't drive side by side with the person beside you.

If you worry about people running into you, check your mirror before you hit the brake. When I see people following me a bit closer than I like, I usually give it a little tap as warning before I apply brake to slow down.

The fish comment is so true.

rmk
01-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Drive as slow as you want, but don't hold up traffic.

People aren't pissed that you're slow, they're pissed that you're slowing everyone else down too. So be considerate and move the hell over.

Fucking :werd:

Supa Dexta
01-13-2008, 08:48 PM
I thought this was slink when I started reading... but I guess not