PDA

View Full Version : PIF: (Pay it Forward) 1985 Honda Civic

kevie88
01-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Car has gone to it's new home!! thanks to everyone who enquired!!!

Vehicle Details
Year : 1985
Make and Model : Honda Civic
Exterior Color : Blue
Interior Color : Red seats/ Blue
Auto or Manual? : Semi-Auto
Odometer Reading : 290ish kms
Location of Vehicle : My house.. Calgary
Description :

This is a car I got from an old friend of mine, who owned it since new. In 2003 the car had broken it's timing belt, so he asked me to come over and try putting on a new timing belt, just to see if he got lucky and didn't bend any valves. I swapped out the timing belt, but it turned out the # 3 Cylinder had a bent exhaust valve.

The next day at work, he offered to give me the car for free, because I helped him out, and at the time, I was in need of a car. Of course I agreed to take the car off his hands for free.. I got a top-end gasket kit from Parts Source, and a Junkyard head from Pick n' Pull. After about $250 and a few hours of labour I had the car running again. I put another 45,000 or so KMs on the car since that time. Later I replaced the seats with the soft fabric seats from a Civic Sedan of the same vintage because the OEM seats were bagged out and ripped up.

I really like this little car, it's been a reliable steadfast companion for many years now. It has served me well, BUT It's time to hook someone else up!

Car burns no oil and starts EVERY time. -35c no problem. Has a battery blanket for the REALLY cold days.

It needs newer tires, the ones on it are cracked and old. SO:
Extras : I will include 2 used but good condition loose tires.

Asking Price : FREE. Yes, Free. However, I want to give this car to someone who:

A: Needs a car and can't afford one right now
B: Is a great person who deserves something like this

If you fit the bill, or know someone who does, let me know!! Tell your crack dealing friends they're not getting the car!! haha

Contact Information
Pm Me

Pictures : Maybe..

Car has gone to it's new home!! thanks to everyone who enquired!!!

buh_buh
01-11-2008, 05:55 PM
good man Kev!
Great deal!

spikerS
01-11-2008, 05:56 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

good on ya man, Calgary needs more like you!

project240
01-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Good On You. I hope whoever ends up with your car is someone who badly needs it.

Always nice to see Beyonders helping others out.

Jlude
01-11-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm very impressed! You're doing a great thing, I hope you find a candidate that fits the bill! Good Luck!!

JRSC00LUDE
01-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Now that's a class act, my hats off to you (just as soon as I go buy one :D )!

avow
01-11-2008, 06:52 PM
thats the true beyond spirit right there. :thumbsup:

icecreamvan
01-11-2008, 06:54 PM
:thumbsup:

btw what's semi-auto?:rofl:

turbo4dr
01-11-2008, 06:57 PM
I wish there was a deal like this when I was 16 and just got my licence. :thumbsup:

Oh Semi-Auto is that like a Hondamatic??? the 2 speed auto trans?????

turbo4dr
01-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by icecreamvan

btw what's semi-auto?:rofl:

you beat me too it icecreamvan LOL

01-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Mad Props.

schurchill39
01-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Wow great thing to do. Hope this helps some one out and x2 on the mad props!

01-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Kinda curious on the semi-auto though....

I wonder if its got paddle shifters :dunno:

kevie88
01-11-2008, 07:16 PM
It's a Hondamatic, so it's a three-speed shift-it-yourself, with no clutch. Just put it in first, gas it, and shift up to 2nd when it's revving enough haha.. it has a 3rd overdrive gear for the highway. She aint fast or beautiful, just damn reliable and cheap to own and run.

Thanks for the props everyone, I just had one of the best, most blessed years of my life and want to keep the good karma going :rofl: :thumbsup:

01-11-2008, 07:30 PM
thats sick. so cool.

01-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Is it like a manual shifter or is it a single row automotic style shifter?

anyone else think there needs to be pics of this ?

shawtie
01-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by 410440
Is it like a manual shifter or is it a single row automotic style shifter?

anyone else think there needs to be pics of this ?

Single row automatic style shifter.

tsuga
01-11-2008, 07:47 PM
god bless your soul

now thats the good old atitude from when i was a kid

kenny
01-11-2008, 08:53 PM
I found one cheaper elsewhere... I'll take it if you give me $200 cash tonight. :thumbsup:

kevie88
01-11-2008, 09:25 PM
:rofl: I was wondering how long that would take!! lol

SR240SX
01-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Is this still around? my friend just put his civic into a median on deerfoot..got cut off..and yea he could really use this haha let me know thanks!

crx/gsr
01-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Good on yah man thats a very great thing to do...
And whoever takes this car can one day maybe make it look like this lol http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/other/1144790418/1144790418ss.htm

ibcinya
01-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Who ever gets this car should check out..

redpepperracing.com

skylinegtr20
01-13-2008, 05:37 AM
is this car still for sale? Its funny I came accross this!

my friend and i just got t-boned like 4 hours ago coming home from the bar and his car is totalled. He is really bummed out. Def will get little to no money for his car.

Would likely only need it for a couple of months so I would get him to put it back up for sale like you did.... with NO charge.

keep the tradition going. ;)

please email me, skylinegtr20 at hotmail dot com

Thanks,

xLostx
01-13-2008, 10:41 AM
I can't wait to tell my crack dealing friends about this!

artifacts
01-13-2008, 01:03 PM
i would love this car ....I crashed my civic back in may straight right off lol...and been takin the bus to work i would really love to take this car off ur hands ..make my life alot easier cuz i live on one side of the city and my work is on the other soo driving again would do me alot better ....pm and i will come take it off your hands

Technetrium
01-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
Vehicle Details
Year : 1985
Make and Model : Honda Civic
Exterior Color : Blue
Interior Color : Red seats/ Blue
Auto or Manual? : Semi-Auto
Odometer Reading : 290ish kms
Location of Vehicle : My house.. Calgary
Description :

This is a car I got from an old friend of mine, who owned it since new. In 2003 the car had broken it's timing belt, so he asked me to come over and try putting on a new timing belt, just to see if he got lucky and didn't bend any valves. I swapped out the timing belt, but it turned out the # 3 Cylinder had a bent exhaust valve.

The next day at work, he offered to give me the car for free, because I helped him out, and at the time, I was in need of a car. Of course I agreed to take the car off his hands for free.. I got a top-end gasket kit from Parts Source, and a Junkyard head from Pick n' Pull. After about $250 and a few hours of labour I had the car running again. I put another 45,000 or so KMs on the car since that time. Later I replaced the seats with the soft fabric seats from a Civic Sedan of the same vintage because the OEM seats were bagged out and ripped up.

I really like this little car, it's been a reliable steadfast companion for many years now. It has served me well, BUT It's time to hook someone else up!

Car burns no oil and starts EVERY time. -35c no problem. Has a battery blanket for the REALLY cold days.

It needs newer tires, the ones on it are cracked and old. SO:
Extras : I will include 2 used but good condition loose tires.

Asking Price : FREE. Yes, Free. However, I want to give this car to someone who:

A: Needs a car and can't afford one right now
B: Is a great person who deserves something like this

If you fit the bill, or know someone who does, let me know!! Tell your crack dealing friends they're not getting the car!! haha

Contact Information
Pm Me

Pictures : Maybe..

Alright well id liek this car for a few reasons, i had a 1988 prelude that i bought for 600$ and has been breaking down ever since and is not ridden of, im payign insurance on a car i dont own as i cant cancel it, as well as i just got kicked out of my house, moving to another and being complely broke and payign insurance on nothing as well as having some debt so it would be at least anoither 3-4 months before ill be able to afford even another peice of shit car and what i really need is somethign reliable im not worried on the looks etc.

Technetrium
01-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Oh, and p.s i had to write off my prelude to the impound because it got towed cause the muffler broke and was too loud and the impopund bill reached it to a point where i couldnt afford it and the girl gave me a deal because i signed it off to the, :(

my insurance is 210 a month. for nothing
useless bill

rmk
01-13-2008, 01:38 PM
i'm sure there is a single mother/family out in calgary who do not own a car..... they should get it before a kid on beyond.

good on you :thumbsup:

btown
01-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by rmk
i'm sure there is a single mother/family out in calgary who do not own a car..... they should get it before a kid on beyond.

good on you :thumbsup:

exactly what i was thinking...not some kid who smashed up his ride...it should goto a single parent with some kids. :thumbsup:

props man! :clap:

CMW403
01-13-2008, 03:47 PM
yeah i agree

no one on beyond needs this car

props on the good spirit of giving it away, but i think you should find a single mom in forest lawn or somewhere to give it to. compared to anyone on beyond she needs it a thousand times more.

thetrousertrout
01-13-2008, 03:57 PM
My neighbor is a single mom of two and her car blew the head gasket a couple months ago. (It may as well be a write off for the amount that she will have to spend to have it road worthy) If you still have this PM me and I can give you her number or have her call you.
Thanks
Eric

hondacj7
01-13-2008, 08:53 PM
best post I have ever seen!!! good for you to do this.

dezinr
01-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Maybe give one of the local radio stations a call. Something like that Forbes secret wish. Just a thought.

Like the other forumers props for your generosity!

GTO
01-14-2008, 12:32 AM
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-under-5K-WE-ARE-DESPARATE-PLEASE-HELP-IF-YOU-CAN-W0QQAdIdZ34948957

these ppl sound like they need a car bad for cheap

Jlude
01-14-2008, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by GTO
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-under-5K-WE-ARE-DESPARATE-PLEASE-HELP-IF-YOU-CAN-W0QQAdIdZ34948957

these ppl sound like they need a car bad for cheap

Good find! Sounds like a perfect candidate!

Archea
01-14-2008, 01:42 AM
pm'd

GT4rally
01-14-2008, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Technetrium
Oh, and p.s i had to write off my prelude to the impound because it got towed cause the muffler broke and was too loud and the impopund bill reached it to a point where i couldnt afford it and the girl gave me a deal because i signed it off to the, :(

useless bill

Are you serious?? Take the bus over to your insurance company and CANCEL your insurance... it's not that difficult buddy.

WWJAI
01-14-2008, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by GT4rally

Are you serious?? Take the bus over to your insurance company and CANCEL your insurance... it's not that difficult buddy.

Even easier than that. Pick up the phone and call your company and cancel your insurance.

thinmyster
01-14-2008, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Technetrium

useless bill

Originally posted by technetrium
Alright..
so ive gotten a letter in the mail.
saying ive reached 7/8 demerits.

if you get a ticket when do these demerits kick in.
and if i lose to many and lose my licence how will i know????
because from what i GOT i shoud have lost over 8 demerits as im still GDL.
yet i havent lost it ?

Originally posted by technetrium
Ok so recently i got my licence suspeneded for a month and was suposed to bring my licence to a motor vbehicle place and pay off my tickets before i got my licence ( the actual card back)
i didnt give it to them and the syuspension period is over monday but my question is does it show up im a licenced driver after the month suspension or is it not reinstated until all my tickets are paid off?

Seems like you've had lots of car trouble I vote this guy haha

grand champ
01-14-2008, 07:23 AM
What a great thing to do!

I have actually done this twice with some cars iv had, i had a early 80s vw rabbit that i gave away for someone to use, and i also had an 85 civic that i didnt give but i sold it to a buddie who was in diar need of a car, i gave it to him for like 200 bux, and i told him to pay me when he could. (i had like 1500 into the car to get it back on the road, and i knew he could afford it but is just not good at managing money.)

I think more people need to be like this,

1st) it feels great to give and help someone in need.

2nd)whocares about 200 bux your gunna get for the car, you could change someones life forever buy helping them get on their feet......

just think about it a bit.....

kevie88
01-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Alright, so I had the car inspected by a friend, (have an insurance inspection report) as before I gave it out I wanted to make sure it's ok. The car will not pass as is because the rear brake shoes are below the limit (not worn out but thinner than allowable) and the tires are worn out.

I have the two loose tires and there are plenty of sets of stock steelies and tires around for sale here. The rear shoes should cost no more than $50 at Canadian Tire.. Get the good ones that come with new springs. I suppose I could install them for a case of Big Rock Traditional beer. Mmm. Beer.

Tires:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/202072/fs-pair-of-p175-70r13-with-steelies-civic-anyone/

You should expect to have to put $200 or so into this car so it will pass your insurance inspections.

Ok, That is all. I need to make a decision on this tonight, so PM me if you're ok with the extra cash you'll have to put in.

clem24
01-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Awesome! Honda-matic... For those who don't comprehend it, it's basically an auto tranny but with no logic whatsoever, so you have to tell it what gear to use. "Better" than today's tiptronic systems - allows you to start in top gear (3rd haha) or redline any other gear (that's if you can get the revs up there)!

I had friends in high school telling me in how stupid I was because I didn't know how to use an auto when they didn't understand the Honda-matic. "Just put in D and drive!!!!" "well duh, but this is different!" "no, you're wrong!! You are so stupid!!"

01RedDX
01-14-2008, 06:01 PM

Konj
01-14-2008, 06:08 PM
I know a woman who has 2 jobs ( night shift and day shift ) has a daughter thats about 5 years old, doesn't have a husband, moved here from montreal, lives in a basement, takes the transit from NE to downtown to drop her daughter off for daycare and takes the bus to work again. Doesn't drive and is in need for an automobile.

kevie88
01-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Car is gone, Thanks to everyone who enquired!:thumbsup: :burnout:

Sharpie
01-14-2008, 10:36 PM
If you dont mind me asking, who did you end up giving it to?

01-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Yea im curious too?

who ended up getting it? (beyond member or not?)

BerserkerCatSplat
01-14-2008, 10:40 PM
I heard he gave it to the Power Wheelchair Lady so she could experience some real Honda power.

01-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Freida from shawnessy area?

(AHHAHAHA)

kevie88
01-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Beyond member.. I'm sure it's gone to a good home. I'll let them speak up if they want! :thumbsup:

honda4LIFE
01-20-2008, 03:27 AM
Hahaha i saw Frieda get stuck in a puddle of mud before.
I honestly couldn't help but laugh when i walked past her.
She look's just like Jabba the Hutt on wheels.
Ok ok, enough im sorry, i take it all back, that was mean.
:bullshit: