PDA

View Full Version : Laptop died

Doh
01-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Ok so my lap top died, so how do I transfer files from it's hard drive to a new laptop?

The charging system failed only, so the hard drive should be good.

I want to save Windows XP, and pictures file only, How do I keep a licence version of Windows and transfer to a new competor?

AdvanR
01-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Im not too sure, but cant you just rip out the hard drive and plug it into another computer? Im pretty sure the OS is installed right onto the drive itself.

sr20s14zenki
01-11-2008, 10:21 PM
To transfer all of your files to your desktop, you need an adaptor to adapt your hard drive to full size. memory express carries it

01RedDX
01-12-2008, 01:47 PM

thextinct
01-12-2008, 08:04 PM
well u can take the hard drive out of the laptop and they try fitting it into the external hard drive enclosures.. my frnd does it all the time..;)
just get the right size of the enclosure for ur hard drive.
:thumbsup:

Doh
01-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Are you planning on parting out the old laptop?

Maybe, what would it be worth?

Acer 15.4, Turion 64, 512MB. New charging cable, New female charge plug for it,(but no one in town can install it) This was the problem, flashing, plugged in battery on/off all the time now it won't charge at all. Full reboot discs. Cracked at the hinges, monitor back, (but still functional) No Hard Drive.

zieg
01-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Are you planning on parting out the old laptop?

Shipping from ontario might be a bitch..

megavolt
01-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Post on some site like this where you are (or usedtoronto, toronto.kijiji.ca... something like that)... there will be someone to install the plug. I would but you're in Ontario...

HyperZell
01-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by thextinct
well u can take the hard drive out of the laptop and they try fitting it into the external hard drive enclosures.. my frnd does it all the time..;)
just get the right size of the enclosure for ur hard drive.
:thumbsup:

This might be your best bet. I deal with people all of the time in similar situations, and usually I show them external enclosures. You would want a 2.5" one - they go for about 30-35 bucks. Just figure out if it's IDE (big connector) or SATA (small red and black). Everything should be accessible.

Doh
02-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all the help people, I got it fixed for $70. plus a used adapter, the last DC jack must have shorted my new adapter.