PDA

View Full Version : Mental illness

lilrex
01-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Hello everyone. This is my first on this forum board.

I am doing a project for abnormal psychology and I need to gather peoples opinions on "mental illness". I ask on this forum board because I am from Calgary and I know this forum is largely consisted of individuals from Calgary as well.

If you could give me your serious opinions on your views of mental illness that would fantastic.

Thank you very much.

three.eighteen.
01-12-2008, 05:42 PM
search for posts by slink95

finboy
01-12-2008, 05:48 PM
"mental illness" is a pretty broad category

rx7boi
01-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Since she is in Abnormal Psychology, it is reasonable to assume that she is referring to mental disorders that can be found in the DSM-IV, which outlines all academically accepted/known disorders with extensive criteria for each.

I don't understand what you mean by "broad category."

PM'd to lilrex.

01RedDX
01-12-2008, 05:54 PM

GTS Jeff
01-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
search for posts by slink95 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

iceburns288
01-12-2008, 06:03 PM
What sort of information do you need? My mom was bipolar, I have Tourette's and am probably bipolar as well, so I can help you out.

rx7boi
01-12-2008, 06:09 PM
I think mental disorders are highly misunderstood by the general public for several reasons and are affected in different ways:

1. Inability to appreciate the sickness. Many individuals are under the impression that mental illness is often voluntary and is seen as a sign of weakness which leads them to #2.

2. That all the individual needs is to be strong in order to pull through. A mental disorder is not like the flu or a cold - it requires extensive medication and psychotherapy, especially in cases such as severe types of paranoid schizophrenia. In a society where people often take alcoholism and spousal abuse to be difficult problems, it's ironic that they see some disorders as being less than that.

3. Confusion about what it is and the undermining of mental illness. Many people associate mental illnesses with "being crazy" or "going postal" and avoiding them like the plague. However, These people are not always intentionally harmful and in some cases, they're often friends and family members that you've known for a long time that develop this condition.

Furthermore, people tend to undermine cases of major depressive disorder or bipolar disorder, simply seeing the affected as unworthy of living and that maybe they should kill themselves elsewhere. This sort of thinking tends to be problematic, not because people do not understand the DSM-IV or the effects of mental illnesses, but because it also inhibits sympathy and understanding towards individuals that are just as normal as you are without the illness.

I'm sure that some people may disagree on certain aspects of my post, but for the most part, these are just some things that I've learned during my time in studying introductory Abnormal Psychology.

Thanks for reading.

lilrex
01-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288
What sort of information do you need? My mom was bipolar, I have Tourette's and am probably bipolar as well, so I can help you out.

By mental illness i am encompassing any and all mental illnesses. I just need to gather opinions on how people view conditions labeled as mental illnesses such as schizophrenia, bipolarism, etc..

I am aware all conditions are contained in the DSM-IV-TR but i need opinions rather than researched data.

I appreciate all the help you members are supplying me with.

P.S. You can post your opinion on the main forum board or pm me, it doesn't matter because i will not list any names.

Once again thank you.

KRyn
01-12-2008, 06:23 PM
I heard you can contract mental illness from using public toilets. Much like you can contract all sorts of STIs from public washrooms.

01RedDX
01-12-2008, 06:40 PM

Rat Fink
01-12-2008, 06:54 PM

Jlude
01-12-2008, 09:07 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Knew someone was gonna post that!

old&slow
01-12-2008, 10:03 PM
You came to the right place for mental issues!

icecreamvan
01-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by lilrex
Hello everyone. This is my first on this forum board.

I am doing a project for abnormal psychology and I need to gather peoples opinions on "mental illness". I ask on this forum board because I am from Calgary and I know this forum is largely consisted of individuals from Calgary as well.

If you could give me your serious opinions on your views of mental illness that would fantastic.

Thank you very much.

I told you to leave me alone! Get out of my head!!!!

rmk
01-12-2008, 10:29 PM
The answer to your question is 6.

TegLover
01-12-2008, 10:35 PM
look up "2 girls 1 cup"

or go here

http://www.2girls1cup.com/

97'Scort
01-13-2008, 12:24 AM
Dude you're crazy. Now I need to clean my garage with a q-tip.

Mmmm...q-tip...

:drool:

Sorry, what?

JRSC00LUDE
01-13-2008, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by KRyn
I heard you can contract mental illness from using public toilets. Much like you can contract all sorts of STIs from public washrooms.

Man, if you could get an STI from a public washroom I'd be gargling in every urinal this side of Vancouver. Subaru FTMFW!!!

mark4091
01-13-2008, 01:58 AM
Before I clicked the link I knew slink95 would be mentioned.

I wasin't dissapointed.

G-ZUS
01-13-2008, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by lilrex
I just need to gather opinions on how people view conditions labeled as mental illnesses such as schizophrenia,

He speaks the truth

KRyn
01-13-2008, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Man, if you could get an STI from a public washroom I'd be gargling in every urinal this side of Vancouver. Subaru FTMFW!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

tom_9109
01-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Search for people with 'emotional disregulation'. Theres more than you think.

Masked Bandit
01-13-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm not really sure what you are looking for here.

This DSM-IV has been mentioned but I have now idea what that is. Are you looking for professional concepts or ideas from the average Joe? Please clarify what it is that you are actually after.

97'Scort
01-13-2008, 10:55 PM
^ I think our sarcastic responses tell him exactly what he wants to know :rolleyes:

kdrehdeezy
01-14-2008, 03:03 PM
i was in the mental health ward at rockyview for 2 and a half weeks. i am not scitzo or bipolar or anything i just needed some help with coping for a bit. But that place is bs. The drugs they put you on fuck you up more. I stopped taking them and i am fine now, back in university and everyhting is awesome. Other than that, you see some crazy things there. But they do offer you lots of strategies and mental help. The program i was in after was for a month and it was really good also. As for info, look at many reputable heatlh websites. i wouldnt take anyones opinion too seriously on here