PDA

View Full Version : Can someone recommend a treadmill?

old&slow
01-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Looking to replace a treadmill. Gets lots of use and would like to buy something tough! Not needing all the gimmicks.

Thnx

95EG6P
01-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Any of the Life Fitness treadmills are great. Very reliable and worth the money.

Flex

A790
01-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Get Precor or don't get anything at all.

EDIT:

http://www.fitnessdepot.ca/shop/stores/1/Precor-923-Treadmill-P858C7.aspx

The main advantage a Precor has over most others is durability. The 3.0hp motor is good, goes up to 12 mph, allows you to safely run on it, is self-lubricated for certain (important) components, and will last you 10 years man.

old&slow
01-19-2008, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by A790

EDIT:

The main advantage a Precor has over most others is durability. The 3.0hp motor is good, goes up to 12 mph, allows you to safely run on it, is self-lubricated for certain (important) components, and will last you 10 years man.

do they ever go on sale?

A790
01-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by old&slow

do they ever go on sale? \
Occasionally they do. Your best bet is to walk into Fitness Depot and tell them that you'll buy the blue-chip service plan (or whatever it's called) if they drop it to 28 points (the lowest they can go for a customer for non-clearance items). If they don't, tell them that you'll go to another location that will.

The service plan is like $150, and trust me, it's always a good investment with treadmills/bikes/ellipticals.

They are commissioned sales, they'll cave eventually.

What's your budget?

If the Precor is too expensive, the link below is a PaceMaster treadmill that's probably the best bang-for-your-buck alternative. It also has a 3.0hp motor, can go up to 11mph, and is an all-around decent treadmill.

http://www.fitnessdepot.ca/shop/stores/1/PaceMaster-Bronze-Treadmill-P319C7.aspx

The thing is that Precor is probably the best in the industry in terms of reliability and utility.

78si
01-19-2008, 10:25 AM
http://www.fitrent.com/treadmills.html

South Location:
7132 Fisher Street S.E.
Ph. (403) 255-9793

North Location:
#9, 600 Crowfoot Cres NW
Ph. (403) 375-0447

Email: [email protected]

Kritafo
01-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Precor all the way...I know they just had a deal on the Precor ellipticals, you can always search the buy sell ads, occasionally someone has one. I would buy a second hand one and not think twice about , because Precor is very reliable.

pinoyhero
01-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Seriously just grab a gym membership you'll get variety and consistently renewed equiptment and proably spend less while saving space.

A790
01-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Seriously just grab a gym membership you'll get variety and consistently renewed equiptment and proably spend less while saving space.
I love the gym and all, but I find it much easier to jog for 45 minutes when watching my 46" TV as compared to smelling everybody else around me.

kerry
01-19-2008, 11:34 AM
I don't know about any good brands, but Go Mango is where most of the gyms get their fitness equipment so if you went there, I'd bet you'd find something good and worth your cash!

Pacman
01-19-2008, 11:36 AM

I love the gym and all, but I find it much easier to jog for 45 minutes when watching my 46" TV as compared to smelling everybody else around me.

I generally don't mind the people around me when I'm at the gym..........

http://www.myminishorts.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/workoutgirl.jpg

A790
01-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Pacman

I generally don't mind the people around me when I'm at the gym..........

http://www.myminishorts.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/workoutgirl.jpg
LOL that NEVER happens. It's rare that a totally stacked chick is at the gym. At least, never when I'm there.

old&slow
01-19-2008, 03:55 PM
It's mostly for my wife and daughter...i use it occasionally.
She's not put out by paying for quality...we just don't know what's worth the money...as for the chicky in that photo...never seen one of that quality close up and personal either...:)

JAYMEZ
01-19-2008, 03:58 PM

LOL that NEVER happens. It's rare that a totally stacked chick is at the gym. At least, never when I'm there.

Hahah come to my gym around 1pm when all the MILFs are working out... God damn some are hot!

Pacman
01-19-2008, 04:05 PM

I work out at Westside Rec Centre in the SW and it's full of hottie milfs all the time.

Graham_A_M
01-19-2008, 04:09 PM
^ Cool. Good to know

Originally posted by JAYMEZ

Hahah come to my gym around 1pm when all the MILFs are working out... God damn some are hot!

Which gym do you work out at:D

:rofl:

But to the OP; I'd suggest going around to different gyms and trying out their treadmills to see which ones you like and dont like, then go from there
:thumbsup:

A790
01-19-2008, 04:45 PM
It's mostly for my wife and daughter...i use it occasionally.
She's not put out by paying for quality...we just don't know what's worth the money...as for the chicky in that photo...never seen one of that quality close up and personal either...:)
Go to Fitness Depot and actually get on and use the treadmills. I can almost guarantee you'll be walking out with a Precor. Smooth, quiet, reliable, and packed full of features. $2,000 for something that lasts 10 years isn't a bad deal :)

old&slow
01-19-2008, 04:50 PM
That pacemaster looks good to us...$500 cheaper and comes with a great warranty.... I think you said iit best...best bang for the buck!

A790
01-20-2008, 08:42 AM
That pacemaster looks good to us...$500 cheaper and comes with a great warranty.... I think you said iit best...best bang for the buck!
Certainly nothing wrong with that! You'll definitely want to get the service plan though, as replacing the belt after two years is a big pain in the ass.

Kafka
01-20-2008, 09:48 AM

EDIT:

I totally agree. Sure, they cost more but it more than pays for iitself. I have had mine for 10 years, use it all the time, and it has never even needed servicing. I recommend the sports equipment store (I forget its name) in Willowpark on McLeod (by South Centre in Calgary).

SNAATCH
01-20-2008, 10:22 AM
I don't know if you would be interested in an ellipticle, but my uncle owns 2 gyms here in Calgary and is selling an ellipticle he keeps at his house that was barely ever used. PM me if your interested.

pinoyhero
01-20-2008, 11:25 AM

But its worth it when they are there rights ... the gym FTW

A790
01-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero

But its worth it when they are there rights ... stacked gym babes FTMFW
Fixed haha

roopi
01-24-2008, 08:40 PM
\
Occasionally they do. Your best bet is to walk into Fitness Depot and tell them that you'll buy the blue-chip service plan (or whatever it's called) if they drop it to 28 points (the lowest they can go for a customer for non-clearance items). If they don't, tell them that you'll go to another location that will.

The service plan is like $150, and trust me, it's always a good investment with treadmills/bikes/ellipticals.

They are commissioned sales, they'll cave eventually.

What's your budget?

If the Precor is too expensive, the link below is a PaceMaster treadmill that's probably the best bang-for-your-buck alternative. It also has a 3.0hp motor, can go up to 11mph, and is an all-around decent treadmill.

http://www.fitnessdepot.ca/shop/stores/1/PaceMaster-Bronze-Treadmill-P319C7.aspx

The thing is that Precor is probably the best in the industry in terms of reliability and utility.

What do you mean by 28 points? I'm going to buy an eliptical this weekend. Look at this model:

http://www.fitnessdepot.ca/shop/stores/1/Life-Fitness-X30-P654C8.aspx

A790
01-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by roopi

What do you mean by 28 points? I'm going to buy an eliptical this weekend. Look at this model:

http://www.fitnessdepot.ca/shop/stores/1/Life-Fitness-X30-P654C8.aspx
28 points refers to how much markup is on it. 28 points is also the lowest they can go. Usually the margin is at around 38 to 40 points.
Edit: that's a good elliptical.

roopi
01-24-2008, 11:17 PM

28 points refers to how much markup is on it. 28 points is also the lowest they can go. Usually the margin is at around 38 to 40 points.
Edit: that's a good elliptical.

Thanks for the info. I'll post how it turns out.

ZorroAMG
01-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Mother EFF. I bought an elliptical last month from Fitness depot and I didn't even think to ask for a discount.

Oh and running at home:

PVR'd commercial free TV and movies + plasma tv at any time of the day/night = Pure Win over the gym.

roopi
01-24-2008, 11:31 PM
ZorroAMG - What model did you buy? Any feedback on it?

yobi5888
01-24-2008, 11:33 PM
So say they'll drop to 28 points, then how much would that be from the original $2088?

roopi
01-24-2008, 11:37 PM
2088 * .72 = 1503.36

ZorroAMG
01-25-2008, 02:11 AM
I bought a mid range smaller one cause I wanted it to fit in my condo's storage room. :D I have it on a carpet and it slides in front of the TV, then back out of sight!

Diamondback 360EF, it's got everything I need and it was a rad price! I've used it 5 times a week for a month...

http://prosourcefitness.com/images/360EFsmall.jpg

old&slow
01-25-2008, 08:04 PM
A790,

What does the service plan entail exactly...assuming since you suggested it, it's worth it?

Hoping to head over tomorrow to see if I can strike a deal!

tictactoe2004
01-25-2008, 08:54 PM
I own both the Precor elliptical and treadmill... They are well worth the money. I would suggest going to Fitness Depot and bargain with them, don't buy warranty or any other accessories with it.. just the treadmill itself.

For a reference point when barganing I picked up the 9.23 treadmill for $1700 and the 5.21 elliptical for $2200...

roopi
01-26-2008, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004
I own both the Precor elliptical and treadmill... They are well worth the money. I would suggest going to Fitness Depot and bargain with them, don't buy warranty or any other accessories with it.. just the treadmill itself.

For a reference point when barganing I picked up the 9.23 treadmill for $1700 and the 5.21 elliptical for $2200...

Was the eliptical 2538 when you got it for 2200 or was it more?

http://www.fitnessdepot.ca/shop/stores/1/category_listing.aspx?SID=1&Category_ID=8&Manufacturer=&Sort=ASC&Page=2

A790
01-26-2008, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by roopi
2088 * .72 = 1503.36

Not necessarily. It depends on what their cost is and what the current markup is at. Chances are good that you could walk away with $150 off the top or so, as if they have it listed at 35 points they're only taking off 7 points, and that's assuming that you can get them to agree to that deal.

A790,

What does the service plan entail exactly...assuming since you suggested it, it's worth it?

Hoping to head over tomorrow to see if I can strike a deal!
Hey man;

Walk into Fitness Depot and basically make yourself an easy sale. You want a treadmill, so walk up to the one that you want and tell them flat out that if they can drop it to 28 points you'll buy the treadmill and a service plan.

Now, in most instances I wouldn't recommend the service plan, but it literally covers almost anything and everything that could happen to that treadmill. If the belt wears out, the motor corks, the lift system breaks... whatever, it's covered. Also, they cover the labor as well (which can be pricey). For the $100 or whatever they charge for it there's no better way to insure your $1,500 purchase.

They work on commission, so make yourself a quick and easy sale. You ARE NOT interested in dicking around, checking out whatever, as you are there for ONE REASON only and that's to buy a damn treadmill, right?! So long as you don't make a hassle they will drop it to 28 points no problem, essentially giving you the cost of the service plan (which will pay for itself if anything ever goes wrong).

Also, they make decent commission on the service plan, hence why you'll buy it if they drop the treadmill to 28 points.

Good luck, and enjoy your treadmill!

Originally posted by tictactoe2004

I agree with what you said, but I'd definitely get a warranty. In the unlikely event that something DOES break you're definitely going to regret NOT having it.

Just my $0.02.

badatusrnames
01-26-2008, 04:36 AM

:werd: Think of the people that don't appreciate going to the gym and watching a bunch of narcissistic cocks flex in the mirror for themselves.

I'm happy not to have to engage some sort of bizarre routine of oneupmanship by having said cock ask (order) to work in with you, stare you down and make you feel small as you finish your set, stack the weights, grunt loudly (whhhhaaaat. Fucking protein mom!!!! I eat that shit for breakfast, lunch and dinner) and lower the weight for you when they are done while they give you some sort of look that is designed to make you feel inadequate.

I apologize for not wanting to look want to like the ill proportioned gorilla with the shoulders of a musk ox and the legs of an anorexic twelve year old girl.

Fuck the gym.

I'm happy with having legs that are thicker than my arms and being able to squat more than I can benchpress.

old&slow
01-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Kafka

I totally agree. Sure, they cost more but it more than pays for iitself. I have had mine for 10 years, use it all the time, and it has never even needed servicing. I recommend the sports equipment store (I forget its name) in Willowpark on McLeod (by South Centre in Calgary).

Went there,,,they dont sell PreCor...

old&slow
01-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Well Finess Depot had no big discount for us...most he would do was $1938 from the $2088.
The service plan is $200.

I'm also considering the Bowflex 7 series on sale for $2195 and comes with a 5 year parts and labor warranty.

roopi
01-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Well I ended up buying this instead of the previous one I posted:

http://www.fitnessdepot.ca/shop/stores/1/Precor-533-Home-EFX-Elliptical-P855C8.aspx

List price was $3388.00 + GST and I was able to get it for $3047.62 + GST (so $3200) and they also included a free mat for it (believe it's about $50 but don't recall)

So in the end just over 10% off. Would have been nice to get more but I think this is the absolute lowest they were willing to go on this model. Thanks for the help A790. I probably would have paid regular price if I didn't read your post. You save me almost $400.

Robert Braun
02-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Precor is a great machine, but very expensive. You can find much less expensive models at http://www.treadmill-world.com/canada-only-clearancesale.html

TorqueDog
02-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Heh, and here I went and spent $200 on a used treadmill off Kijiji.

Unknown303
02-13-2010, 04:30 PM
I have this one.

http://www.pacemaster.com/models.cfm?model=silver

For sale. 1/2 off. Maybe has 10km on it.

stacy28
06-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Bump.

Any new recommendations on the best treadmill for value? There's so many to choose from, I'm getting lost...

A790
06-28-2012, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by stacy28
Bump.

Any new recommendations on the best treadmill for value? There's so many to choose from, I'm getting lost...
What are you going to use it for? Strictly walking? Jogging? Running?

If ALL you are doing is walking, NEVER jogging/running, you should be able to get away with an entry level treadmill from any of the major manufacturers (Pacemaster, Precor, etc.)

Check this one out: http://shop.fitnessdepot.ca/PaceMaster-Bronze-Treadmill-P46.aspx#.T-v5JrWe42w. $1,200, 3hp motor, two cup holders. Can't go wrong. You could jog or HIIT on that treadmill too... that'd be my choice.

scboss
06-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Just go grab some under armor rain gear and run outside. Rain or shine you will be dry and warm plus it will be way more effective.

Cost effective
Better Results
Zero Electricity
Takes up zero space

That or go to the gym. In all seriousness the amount of distractions at home you will almost never use it. As someone who deals with people and there fitness goals everyday you would be suprised how many people buy this kind of stuff and use it for one week. I guarantee that there are more dusty treadmills and bowflex's out there then used ones.

frozenrice
02-24-2014, 10:31 AM
Bringing up an old thread.....
Are there any new developments in the last few years with treadmills? I'm in the market for one in the under $2000 range. I'm not into hardcore running but would like to keep a 2-3 times a week 5km jogging routine.
I'm having a hard time figuring out what brands to avoid and where to buy.

I've been looking online at Nordictracks and am impressed with the bells and whistles they offer for the price. However, going into a few local places, one or two of them said they're not as good quality obviously as the ones they sell, yet online, I've read several sites that give them good ratings.

Of the local places what places are recommended in terms of trustworthiness and good value for the money? Flaman, fitness depot, apple?

Any people with first hand experience?

A790
02-24-2014, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by frozenrice
Bringing up an old thread.....
Are there any new developments in the last few years with treadmills? I'm in the market for one in the under $2000 range. I'm not into hardcore running but would like to keep a 2-3 times a week 5km jogging routine.
I'm having a hard time figuring out what brands to avoid and where to buy.

I've been looking online at Nordictracks and am impressed with the bells and whistles they offer for the price. However, going into a few local places, one or two of them said they're not as good quality obviously as the ones they sell, yet online, I've read several sites that give them good ratings.

Of the local places what places are recommended in terms of trustworthiness and good value for the money? Flaman, fitness depot, apple?

Any people with first hand experience?
Go to Kijiji and buy a used Precor for $200 (that's what I did). For what you're using it for, why pay for all the extra shit you won't use?

Take advantage of someone else dropping big bucks on a treadmill and get it for a fraction of the price.

C_Dave45
02-24-2014, 01:49 PM
I'll second what Cam says. Buy used. Although I don't know if you could find a decent Precor for $200 (if you do, grab it immediately. Precor and Life Fitness are both good brands)

Here's a good non-biased review site for treadmills/ellipticals: http://www.treadmillreviews.net/

and http://elliptical-machines-review.toptenreviews.com/

For home use, a good retail model will be around the $2500 -$3500 range brand new. Any of the Canadian Tire/Sears models that say "Regularly $1500, on sale for $750" are pretty much crap. Jerky movements, not smooth and won't last. (To give you an idea, commercial gym models are around $8,000-10,000, so if you're used to that kind of smoothness, you aren't going to find it for $200 on kijiji.

The good models will usually go onto Kijiji starting at around 50% of retail. I look for the ones asking around $1,000-1500 and then start my offers at $500. They'll laugh and say "hit the road.." but 6 months later you'll still see them on kijiji.

Treadmillls and such are ALWAYS being put on kijiji, with very little wear on them. And people will always think they can get what they paid for them.

syscal
02-24-2014, 02:12 PM
I'm 6'4" and wanted to make sure I had a long enough tread for my stride. Also wanted to ensure longevity, so buying a sturdy machine was not an option.

I had all kinds of ideas in mind when I went to the store and I was talked into buying this unit - http://www.bhfitnessusa.com/product/TS5.aspx

No regrets since, it's an awesome treadmill and the quality is amazing.

Picked it up from this store http://www.physiquefitness.com/ The gal there seemed to know her stuff and I remember feeling comfortable with the purchase.

roopi
02-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Fitness Auction coming up. Might be worth a look. :dunno:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-business-industrial/calgary/fitness-center-dispersal/568910227

Mitsu3000gt
02-24-2014, 02:33 PM
Anyone know what the Livestrong stuff is like? Is it just rebranded from another manufacturer? it's often 50-70% off at CT, several models ranging $1500-4000.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/livestrong-174-lspro2-treadmill-0840512p.html#.Uwusc_ldX3Q

psi_klops
02-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Anyone know what the Livestrong stuff is like? Is it just rebranded from another manufacturer? it's often 50-70% off at CT, several models ranging $1500-4000.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/livestrong-174-lspro2-treadmill-0840512p.html#.Uwusc_ldX3Q

The treadmills are by Johnson Health Tech -then rebranded and sold as Livestrong or Horizon.

I got a Horizon CT12.1 from Canadian Tire, which was identical in everyday (except the livestrong stickers) to the LS 13 treadmill. So far no issues. Had a warranty service need and they were good about it.

A790
02-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
I'll second what Cam says. Buy used. Although I don't know if you could find a decent Precor for $200 (if you do, grab it immediately. Precor and Life Fitness are both good brands)

Here's a good non-biased review site for treadmills/ellipticals: http://www.treadmillreviews.net/

and http://elliptical-machines-review.toptenreviews.com/

For home use, a good retail model will be around the $2500 -$3500 range brand new. Any of the Canadian Tire/Sears models that say "Regularly $1500, on sale for $750" are pretty much crap. Jerky movements, not smooth and won't last. (To give you an idea, commercial gym models are around $8,000-10,000, so if you're used to that kind of smoothness, you aren't going to find it for $200 on kijiji.

The good models will usually go onto Kijiji starting at around 50% of retail. I look for the ones asking around $1,000-1500 and then start my offers at $500. They'll laugh and say "hit the road.." but 6 months later you'll still see them on kijiji.

Treadmillls and such are ALWAYS being put on kijiji, with very little wear on them. And people will always think they can get what they paid for them.
My Precor 9.2 was $150 off Kijiji :D.

frozenrice
02-24-2014, 07:13 PM

My Precor 9.2 was $150 off Kijiji :D.

How long ago was that and how old was it at the time you bought it? Just trying to gauge for comparison when I check out kijjiji.

A790
02-24-2014, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice

How long ago was that and how old was it at the time you bought it? Just trying to gauge for comparison when I check out kijjiji.
Bought it two years ago and it was five years old when I bought it.