PDA

View Full Version : New member (Moving to Canada soon)

ExOz
01-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Hey all,

as the title says I'm moving to Canada soon with my family (Wife and 4 girls) and we should be there mid to late this year. I thought I'd sign up and get into the swing of things and meet some people.
So, hi.
Name's Gav, I'm 28 and look forward to frequenting these forums.

urban.one
01-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Welcome!

28 and 4 kids? Sounds like youve been busy.

turbo4dr
01-13-2008, 05:19 PM
wow 5 girls in da house man you must never get to see the bath room lol welcome to beyond

projekz
01-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Hi, I'm curious to know why you would leave Australia to come to Canada? It's a great place here and I hope you enjoy it, but Australia is awesome too!

TomcoPDR
01-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Welcome to Beyond. Have you decided what city/province in Canada?

ryanallan
01-13-2008, 05:31 PM
What car are you going to buy ?

ExOz
01-13-2008, 05:38 PM
A bath-what??? lol ha ha!

Yeah 5 girls is insane. A bit like an untrained circus troop.

If I get the job I'm chasing (chances look good) I'll be looking at buying something from the AMG range.

Canmorite
01-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Going to move out East or West?

ExOz
01-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by projekz
Hi, I'm curious to know why you would leave Australia to come to Canada? It's a great place here and I hope you enjoy it, but Australia is awesome too!

Wifes choice really, she loves it there. Australia only "looks" good. It's near impossible to buy a home, cars alone are stupidly priced. We pay over double for most cars to the rest of the world. And to be honest my biggest issue is the fact that the government lets minority groups change up our whole way of life. We can't even have xmas decorations in our cities because we might offend somebody! (And it gets much MUCH worse than that.)

Looking at either Montreal or Quebec...

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-13-2008, 06:36 PM
That's just political correctness... We have it too. So why Montreal or Quebec? Seems like an odd choice, going to a french city from Australia... hit up the praries! Come to Calgary!

mark4091
01-13-2008, 07:01 PM
^:werd:

Maddog55
01-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by ExOz

. It's near impossible to buy a home, ........ And to be honest my biggest issue is the fact that the government lets minority groups change up our whole way of life. We can't even have xmas decorations in our cities because we might offend somebody! (And it gets much MUCH worse than that....

^^^ Huh.....you just described Calgary to a T!!!

My son spent 6 weeks up north of Cairns and just loved it. He's scheming on how to move there permanently!

soloracer
01-13-2008, 07:47 PM
I find it ironic that someone living in Australia who is against minority groups setting the rules would decide that Montreal is a good place to live. Tell you what, try posting an english sign on your place of business and see how far you get. You might start wondering why you moved.

ExOz
01-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Ours isn beyond political correctness though at the expense of 90% of the country.

ExOz
01-13-2008, 07:59 PM
I wont be working there though, looks like my offshore job is going ahead.

funkedelic
01-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Welcome to beyond! Best of luck when you get to Canada

Jlude
01-13-2008, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic
Welcome to beyond! Best of luck when you get to Canada

+1

cynik
01-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by soloracer
I find it ironic that someone living in Australia who is against minority groups setting the rules would decide that Montreal is a good place to live. Tell you what, try posting an english sign on your place of business and see how far you get. You might start wondering why you moved.

Well, wouldn't that be an example of the opposite? i.e. - Montreal's population is primarily francophone, so disallowing English signs is actually the majority dictating the rules. Sure, Quebec is part of Canada, which is primarily English speaking. But on a provincial scale, Quebec is most definitely francophone.

Note that I'm not agreeing with the way they run things. I'm just pointing out that Quebec is the last place you'd want to single out as a place that allows minorities to set the rules.

You do bring up a good point though .. if you're an anglo living in Quebec, you're definitely going to be getting attitude from some locals. On the other hand, I found most people in Quebec to be some of the most laid back, genuine people I've ever met. It probably helped that I'm bilingual.

Anyway, take it for what its worth. And welcome to Canada (when you get here). Canada is an awesome place to live.

ExOz
01-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Just to clarify a few points, we had a riot two years back, started purely by a minority group, they were out for nothing but violence. The police did nothing even when a woman was thrown onto the train tracks with her baby in her arms on a security video. Yet when the majority stepped up and attempted to defend their city they were arrested left right and centre. The same thing happens when they rape local white women, as apparently they're "expected" to do it.

Thanks for the early welcomes. :) Once we sort out a few things over here we'll be over living in Canada.

soloracer
01-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Ok, the rest of the country is primarily English. So what do you think would happen if each province banned signs in languages other than English? I have no issue with them banning English signs in Quebec as long as the rest of us don't have to print everything we produce in both French and English, etc. The minority (French) are making the rules for the rest of us. That is the point I'm trying to make.

adam c
01-13-2008, 08:37 PM
except in canada everything has to be in both english and french...

even if the word is spelt exactly the same, it has to be printed twice to represent english and french

Intent_Fire
01-13-2008, 08:39 PM
yea, welcome! You should know that the good majority of the people on this form live in Calgary & area. There is some that live in Quebec, however its only a small fraction.

pinoyhero
01-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Well an early welcome for you and your family, hope you find the country as friendly as this board (most of the time) ...

cynik
01-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by soloracer
Ok, the rest of the country is primarily English. So what do you think would happen if each province banned signs in languages other than English? I have no issue with them banning English signs in Quebec as long as the rest of us don't have to print everything we produce in both French and English, etc. The minority (French) are making the rules for the rest of us. That is the point I'm trying to make.

If you mean the kind of stuff we buy in stores, it's the same stuff being sold in Quebec, labels and all. I don't see very many signs in Calgary with French on them, save government buildings. I don't remember visiting any in Quebec, but I'm pretty sure there's both English and French in government buildings there too. If not, well .. point taken.

Anyway, I never meant my post to be a personal attack. I also never agreed with banning signs based on language (hint: I don't). I was just pointing out that Quebec is not the kind of place that allows minority groups to call the shots.

diggity
01-13-2008, 09:21 PM
We can't even have xmas decorations in our cities because we might offend somebody! (And it gets much MUCH worse than that.)

It's getting that way here.

01RedDX
01-13-2008, 09:21 PM

ExOz
01-14-2008, 01:09 AM
Having four little girls (aged 4, 2, 19 months and 6 weeks old) we want to settle down somewhere relaxed, and to move before they get tied down with school etc.

-Jay21-
01-14-2008, 01:30 AM
Just to clarify a few points, we had a riot two years back, started purely by a minority group, they were out for nothing but violence. The police did nothing even when a woman was thrown onto the train tracks with her baby in her arms on a security video. Yet when the majority stepped up and attempted to defend their city they were arrested left right and centre. The same thing happens when they rape local white women, as apparently they're "expected" to do it.

Thanks for the early welcomes. :) Once we sort out a few things over here we'll be over living in Canada.

Jesus thats terrible, I also moved to Canada for a better life mate. Although I do think you should have a look out west (BC and Alberta) Before you settle, you'll be glad you did. I sure as hell was.

I lived through a Winnipeg winter and it was brutal compared to what I was used to, where as here in Calgary the summers are fantastic and fairly mild winters.

shawtie
01-14-2008, 02:19 AM
Having four little girls (aged 4, 2, 19 months and 6 weeks old) we want to settle down somewhere relaxed, and to move before they get tied down with school etc.

I feel so bad for you.....once those girls hit there teens lol

TomcoPDR
01-14-2008, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by shawtie

I feel so bad for you.....once those girls hit there teens lol

Well, the main concern would be Sorath at those ages. jk

/////AMG
01-14-2008, 11:03 AM
:rofl:

Welcome to beyond and enjoy Canada!

97TSiAWD
01-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Welcome ! I was thinking of moving to Australia at one time but dropped the idea for the same reasons you are coming to Canada. Gav, which part of Australia are you from ?

ExOz
01-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Gold Coast now. But I work out at a place called Longreach. (fly in / fly out) It's in the good old outback...

As for my girls hitting teens, do you think if I start saving now I should have enough shotgun shells to cope? lol

shawtie
01-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Gold Coast now. But I work out at a place called Longreach. (fly in / fly out) It's in the good old outback...

As for my girls hitting teens, do you think if I start saving now I should have enough shotgun shells to cope? lol

Definatly start saving NOW!!! haha you can never be to careful.

Scope951
01-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Great to hear and welcome to the forums!

Best of luck to ya.:thumbsup: :clap:

frozenrice
01-14-2008, 10:00 PM
haha, a RHD Integra that's not JDM. Good luck finding your way over here. My only comment is if you're moving here to get away from the overly sensitive minority groups and political correctness, you might want to think twice about Quebec. It's a gong show over there...........

JRSC00LUDE
01-14-2008, 10:17 PM

Ah yes, Quebec. The land of tolerance and equality....:rolleyes:

If you do indeed move here, welcome to Canada. If you move to Quebec, welcome to North America.

ExOz
01-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
haha, a RHD Integra that's not JDM. Good luck finding your way over here. My only comment is if you're moving here to get away from the overly sensitive minority groups and political correctness, you might want to think twice about Quebec. It's a gong show over there...........

Lol, my sig on any car forums with americans used to be "JDM is not LHD"

frozenrice
01-14-2008, 11:06 PM

Lol, my sig on any car forums with americans used to be "JDM is not LHD"

You're not on G2IC.com by chance are you?

ExOz
01-14-2008, 11:17 PM
Nopes. To be honest I haven't been on a car forum in ages. Not since I sold my old CRX.

vadeit
02-09-2008, 01:04 AM
I wont be working there though, looks like my offshore job is going ahead.

I assume you are going to be on a platform of the east coast? Which one if you don't mind me asking?

I am curious as I work in O&G and just happened to finish working on a project with the crude coming off one of those platforms.

ExOz
02-09-2008, 01:47 AM
Without trying to sound rude, I'm keeping it a lil quiet. The only other person in my role there is keeping it open for me until I sort out things over here. He's an ex-military friend and is keeping the spot sufficiently vacant.

whiskas
02-09-2008, 01:58 AM
Whatever you do don't move to the NE.

AllGoNoShow
02-09-2008, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by whiskas
Whatever you do don't move to the NE.

Reading owns you

forkdork
02-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Ours isn beyond political correctness though at the expense of 90% of the country.

It is the same in Canada.

I find it rather funny that you are complaining about minority groups coming to Australia and yet you want to move to Canada where you will be a *gasp* minority! Sort of like the Brits who complain about immigration and yet leave their country to move to France/Spain etc.

Watch in a few years you'll be complaining about immigrants coming to Canada too :rofl:

Myers
02-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow

Reading owns you

hahahaha

Well, welcome to canada if you end up coming!

ekguy
02-20-2008, 10:54 AM
if you don't like your way of life being altered by minorities your not picking the right place to move in Canada :thumbsdow Quebec sucks. A bar had to remove some guiness and some other antique beer signes because they weren't french...ghey

403Gemini
02-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by ekguy
if you don't like your way of life being altered by minorities your not picking the right place to move in Canada :thumbsdow Quebec sucks. A bar had to remove some guiness and some other antique beer signes because they weren't french...ghey

Thats almost as goofy as a company who had hateful phone calls from french supporters for having "Press 1 for English, Press 2 for French" ..... could you believe people were angry that "Press 1 for English" was first....

JRSC00LUDE
02-20-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Thats almost as goofy as a company who had hateful phone calls from french supporters for having "Press 1 for English, Press 2 for French" ..... could you believe people were angry that "Press 1 for English" was first....

Yes I can believe it. Quebec is full of a bunch of panty-waisted whiners who think their dying language should be forced upon the world. Lately, our local radio/tv has been inundated with ads claiming that french immersion is the only way to give your kids a competitive chance for the future. :rolleyes: Yeah. Pretty sure french is about as vital to success in international business as the ability to speak latin.

ekguy
02-20-2008, 11:18 AM
hahaah dosn't surprise me. I believe Quebec is going to be a big factor in slowing down the merger of the TSX and the ME. Since it would then make the Montreal Exchange part of an anglo business which they won't have...We actually had a discussion about this yesterday in class...oh well...If the original poster keeps going further east he'll be fine, or further west.

nismodrifter
02-20-2008, 11:24 AM

WTF are the english doing trying to impose on the French majority in Quebec? Maybe the english minority should just fit in or fuck off.

You are in Quebec, abide by their rules. I am surprised to see you complaining about this given your posts in that other thread. You seem to be dead against catering to minority groups except when you are the said minority.

403Gemini
02-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Yes I can believe it. Quebec is full of a bunch of panty-waisted whiners who think their dying language should be forced upon the world. Lately, our local radio/tv has been inundated with ads claiming that french immersion is the only way to give your kids a competitive chance for the future. :rolleyes: Yeah. Pretty sure french is about as vital to success in international business as the ability to speak latin.

Yeah, and look where that got Ricky Martin! :eek:

ekguy
02-20-2008, 11:34 AM
I am french and feel what they are doing in quebec a bit much. We live in a bilingual country. They are not tolerant of English, much as a lot of sihks are not tolerant of our laws. Quebec also wants to separate and they also have their own law system seperate from Canada's...I mean obviously they still have to abide by federal laws but their provincial law is completely different than every other province...Quebec has got to be the most intolerant province out there.

403Gemini
02-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

WTF are the english doing trying to impose on the French majority in Quebec? Maybe the english minority should just fit in or fuck off.

You are in Quebec, abide by their rules. I am surprised to see you complaining about this given your posts in that other thread. You seem to be dead against catering to minority groups except when you are the said minority.

Lol you realize you're telling a Frenchy to stop bitching about the french!! :rofl:

If anything ekguy is on the right side! haha, stop defending Quebec ;)

edit: lol didnt see your post Alex haha, classic

nismodrifter
02-20-2008, 11:38 AM
I am french and feel what they are doing in quebec a bit much. We live in a bilingual country. They are not tolerant of English, much as a lot of sihks are not tolerant of our laws. Quebec also wants to separate and they also have their own law system seperate from Canada's...I mean obviously they still have to abide by federal laws but their provincial law is completely different than every other province...Quebec has got to be the most intolerant province out there.

So now you are advocating tolerance.

Make up your mind.

Eleanor
02-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Yeah french is pretty useless out here in the west. I took it in school and it's my first language but since i got out of high school i haven't used it at all. Shoulda learned Cantonese, much more applicable out here.

To the OP, welcome to beyond and Canada. Contrary to what most people in this thread are saying, it ain't so bad.

403Gemini
02-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor

To the OP, welcome to beyond and Canada. Contrary to what most people in this thread are saying, it ain't so bad.

:thumbsup: Thats true, we just like to complain because we can lol

ekguy
02-20-2008, 12:02 PM
I agree French is useless...Other than the odd job here or there or talking dirty to chicks at bars it's of no use to even me. Although I speak it at home but even thats limited. But no I'm just pissed at all the stupid double standards that are happening in Canada as of late.

And yeah welcome to Canada. A lot less fun cars available here then over there too despite the prices you say are high.

pkieley
02-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Without trying to sound rude, I'm keeping it a lil quiet. The only other person in my role there is keeping it open for me until I sort out things over here. He's an ex-military friend and is keeping the spot sufficiently vacant.

So there are Canadians qualified to do the job?

I don't give a rat's ass but every Newfie, Caper and Bluenoser who has 20 relatives working in Fort Mac(because there's no jobs at home) might.