PDA

View Full Version : Weight of Body Kits?

4lti7ude
01-14-2008, 04:48 AM
Hey I have a 89 Honda CRX Si, and im getting a engine swap soon, but one of the things i wanted to throw on my CRX was a body kit. The two which im trying to decided from are
-Wings West RS Full Body Kit w/ Carbon Fiber Hood and Sunroof.
http://www.andysautosport.com/honda/1988_1991_crx/exterior/body_kits/wings_west/wing00070986.html

or

- Vision SE Wide body Kit (Nothing is Carbon Fibre on this One)
http://www.andysautosport.com/honda/1988_1991_crx/exterior/body_kits/vision_auto/visi00132767.html

Well i was wondering which one would actually be a lighter choice? Cause im trying to get the kit to stay as light as possible.

mo_money2supe
01-14-2008, 05:03 AM
If you want to look like an 18 y/o kid driving around in a CRX for the life of your vehicle, then go with the Vision kit. Otherwise, the Wings West kit will get you by 'till you're about 20 y/o. :angel:

As for weight savings, if you're seriously thinking a fiberglass body kit will affect the car's weight that much, maybe consider shedding 5 lbs off yourself instead. :rolleyes:

4lti7ude
01-14-2008, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
If you want to look like an 18 y/o kid driving around in a CRX for the life of your vehicle, then go with the Vision kit. Otherwise, the Wings West kit will get you by 'till you're about 20 y/o. :angel:

As for weight savings, if you're seriously thinking a fiberglass body kit will affect the car's weight that much, maybe consider shedding 5 lbs off yourself instead. :rolleyes:

Hahhahahaa, thanks, lol
And im pretty light weight already im only 120 Pounds :cry:

iceberg65
02-04-2008, 12:11 AM
i don't really know much about the weights of the kits, but its gonna be fairly negligible. my preference for the kit is defiantly the wings west one tho.

I drive a cougar and the stock rear bumper is actually lighter then most of the after market fiberglass ones. dont know why it just is. the car has a pretty darn big rear bumper tho

ex1z7
02-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Vision kit = Dodge CRX..

The WW looks pretty clean, throw your rear seats out for more of a weight reduction then any bodykit..

infected
02-05-2008, 12:02 PM
I'd take the WW kit too, just not feeling the Vision kit.

iamkorean
02-06-2008, 10:58 AM
i like vision wide body, looks just like black widow wide body kit for CRX looks nice:)

JRSC00LUDE
02-06-2008, 11:08 AM
The WW kit looks better and should be urethane which = win.

Fiberglass kits aren't worth throwing off a bridge imo.

lumss
02-06-2008, 12:32 PM
never put a link up of that widebody shit again
i almost :barf:

lumss
02-06-2008, 12:34 PM
but ya the ww kit looks nice :thumbsup:

rc2002
02-06-2008, 12:40 PM
I've never heard of any one selecting a body kit based on weight. The visions one is quite heavy though - it wouldn't be a 5lb difference, more like a 50lb difference (at the very least).

It'll cost you an arm and a leg to install the visions one too.

I would consider doing an EF8 front conversion if I were you. Very subtle styling changes and some nice upgrades like wraparound signal lights, brighter headlights, not to mention OEM quality.

Pics here:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/126016/1990-honda-crx-si/

teggypimp95
02-06-2008, 12:43 PM
IMO i think putting any money into a crx is a serious waste.

JRSC00LUDE
02-06-2008, 12:50 PM
^

Same could be said for integra, civic, prelude, jetta, bmw, mustang, cobalt, every other car ever made......

There's only one car worth putting money into, and that's the car that you like.

510-Trevor
02-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by ex1z7
Vision kit = Dodge CRX..

The WW looks pretty clean, throw your rear seats out for more of a weight reduction then any bodykit..

The factory already removed the rear seats.:thumbsup:

I would think that the aero effect of the kits would be a bigger factor then the difference in weight.

boredengineer
02-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by 510-Trevor
I would think that the aero effect of the kits would be a bigger factor then the difference in weight.

You mean the visual effects? :dunno: I have no idea how anyone can expect their body kits to do anything but make it look different. You are tripping if you think it will somehow improve your aerodynamics. It will probably make it worse or even if it were to somehow improve them do you really think you are going to be able to tell?

Hint: You don't drive at F1 speeds.

rc2002
02-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
^

Same could be said for integra, civic, prelude, jetta, bmw, mustang, cobalt, every other car ever made......

There's only one car worth putting money into, and that's the car that you like.

Exactly. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Originally posted by boredengineer

You mean the visual effects? :dunno: I have no idea how anyone can expect their body kits to do anything but make it look different. You are tripping if you think it will somehow improve your aerodynamics. It will probably make it worse or even if it were to somehow improve them do you really think you are going to be able to tell?

Some kits are actually designed for function and effectively reduce the coefficient of drag or promote downforce etc. Most mugen stuff is actually functional.

Having said that, the majority of aftermarket kits are for aesthetics only. Certainly not quality parts, nor functional parts.

RotaryPower
02-06-2008, 01:25 PM
I vote if anything, the front end conversion and maybe a small lip:dunno:

WiltonKillz
02-06-2008, 08:43 PM
go for the ww

Gibson
02-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Isn't there a used condition WW kit on here for like $300 or something?

4lti7ude
02-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Lol oh iv come to the conclusion i want it to have the stock body kit with a lip thats all. Plus im removing all the trim so itll be smooth since so many people have the WW kit on a CRX.
And ya theres one on here for 400 But its not Authentic.

kvanderlaag
02-09-2008, 02:33 PM
Oh noes, your body kit won't be a brand name kit! Instead it will look exactly the same, probably fit the same because it's for a Honda, and cost you less money! Whatever will your ego do!?

4lti7ude
04-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by kvanderlaag
Oh noes, your body kit won't be a brand name kit! Instead it will look exactly the same, probably fit the same because it's for a Honda, and cost you less money! Whatever will your ego do!?

Quality of Product is what is on the line. Not the brand name.