PDA

View Full Version : Race City Motorsports Park May Close October 2009

kenny
01-14-2008, 06:24 PM
The City has said that Race City's lease wont be renewed when it expires just before 2010 because they want the land to build a water facility for the Sherpard Landfill which is adjacent to Race City.

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2008/01/14/4772786.html

4wheeldrift
01-14-2008, 06:26 PM
At least there's some push to help find a new location for them from the city side as well. Here's hoping they can find a solution that works for everyone. This city needs a facility like Race City.

phrozen
01-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
This city needs a facility like Race City.
:werd:

88CRX
01-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Cue the street racers now having a "legit" excuse :rolleyes:

Lets hope someone steps up or the city works with the current owners to create a new and hopefully better track.

Maybe we can get a nice smooth road coarse :D

buh_buh
01-14-2008, 06:41 PM
does this mean we may get a new roadcourse? :D
4wheeldrift is absolutely right. If the city wants to eliminate (or as much as they can) street racing, getting rid of the city's only legal means of spirited driving is only going to hurt the situation. Here's to hoping they build a bigger and better facility if this is true.

edit: dammit 88crx, you just made my post completely useless

ercchry
01-14-2008, 06:42 PM
this makes my race facility idea an even better one.... now i just need some investers...

Redlyne_mr2
01-14-2008, 06:48 PM
please make them build another track.. I dont want a good excuse to go to Edmonton.

SkittleFreak
01-14-2008, 07:22 PM
If my grandma dies before then, i'll buy it out and fix it up lol

Toms-SC
01-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Ric is the fucking man. If any of you have ideas or mad props to send him do it! Only takes a moment of your time.

http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Municipal+Government/Office+of+the+Aldermen/Ward+Offices/Ward+12/Contact+Ward+12.htm

dezinr
01-14-2008, 08:43 PM
I would like to see the city have a design competition for a first class racing facility. Something that would put Calgary on the motorsports map.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Ric is the fucking man. If any of you have ideas or mad props to send him do it! Only takes a moment of your time.

http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Municipal+Government/Office+of+the+Aldermen/Ward+Offices/Ward+12/Contact+Ward+12.htm

:werd: The least we can do is each send him a note saying we support him and appreciate his efforts.

The squeaky wheels gets the grease, so to speak.

Antonito
01-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Cue the street racers now having a "legit" excuse :rolleyes:

Lets hope someone steps up or the city works with the current owners to create a new and hopefully better track.

No kidding. The police can't even begin to have an effective anti-street racing plan if there is no track.

Hash_man
01-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Sending the alderman a message is for sure a good idea. Glad to see a representative of the city strongly supporting a solution to the race city issue, as something needs to be done.

I saw the report regarding this on the news last night, and definately agree that without a track like race city, street racing will sky-rocket. They still have almost 2 years until race city will be closed, plenty of time for a solution.

Thaco
01-15-2008, 11:52 AM
racecity has been on the verge of closing it's doors for the past 2 years, due to finances... this will give the operators an easy out.

I highly doubt that the owners/operators will rebuild it elsewhere, they've been operating at a loss for 10 years now, as much as I'd like to see a replacement, i doubt it'll happen.

malbadon
01-15-2008, 11:53 AM
I guess its too much to hope for an FIA approved (but not Tilke designed) F1 track to fill the gap Indy has left :) Bernie is already waffling about Montreal because without the back to back Indy/Montreal it's become prohibitively expensive to ship everything to North America for just one race.

I mean, how kick-butt does Canada look if it has 2 F1 races while the US has none.

ringmaster
01-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
this makes my race facility idea an even better one.... now i just need some investers...

I would be hesitant to invest any sum of capital into the ideas of someone who can't spell investors.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
racecity has been on the verge of closing it's doors for the past 2 years, due to finances... this will give the operators an easy out.

I highly doubt that the owners/operators will rebuild it elsewhere, they've been operating at a loss for 10 years now, as much as I'd like to see a replacement, i doubt it'll happen.

I'd say that had more to do with Art making terrible decisions and running that place into the ground. With proper management and proper track maintenance, a Calgary racetrack could be profitable.

Big Dangerous
01-15-2008, 12:45 PM

they've been operating at a loss for 10 years now, as much as I'd like to see a replacement, i doubt it'll happen. That's not entirely accurate. No one carries a losing venture that long. I've seen the math, they made well with the drift nights and secret streets, more than enough to cover costs, it's just not the profit margin that Art wanted it to be, Rome didn't like the profit margin either (on the sublet).

Further, if you tell people you're making no money, it disarms the customer into thinking that you cant afford to keep the place up. A tactic that obviously convinced you..

I find it laughable some of you that think we won't have a track.

At least talk to people that know what's going on.

There's a lot of rollers that aren't planning on giving up a drag strip and a road course. I know them. There will be a track in Calgary.

On a brighter note, I'll be fine with anything so long as it's kept up and doesn't fall into disrepair like race city.

88CRX
01-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Big Dangerous

There's a lot of rollers that aren't planning on giving up a drag strip and a road course. I know them. There will be a track in Calgary.

You know rich people that are going to build a track.... please enlighten us.

Big Dangerous
01-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

You know rich people that are going to build a track.... please enlighten us. Why does that sound so unbelievable? :rolleyes:

I told you what I know.

Edit: I suspect you guys will be thanking a few people from the motorcycle roadracing community when and IF it's all said and done.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-15-2008, 01:07 PM

On a brighter note, I'll be fine with anything so long as it's kept up and doesn't fall into disrepair like race city.

Got any more info about who's willing to step up?

On a side note, I agree that track maintenance is key. RC was once offered an IHRA National event if they refinished the strip, but that didn't happen.

Canmorite
01-15-2008, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't be suprised to see some private investors step up and build a track. Maybe some car enthusiasts with a bit of extra cash.

danielgoldfinch
01-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Good they should close down now
I have never seen a worse track anywhere
and all the money in calgary someone will
fund a good track
its sad when edmontons track is 10000% better than Calgarys

Thaco
01-15-2008, 02:53 PM
That's not entirely accurate. No one carries a losing venture that long. I've seen the math, they made well with the drift nights and secret streets, more than enough to cover costs, it's just not the profit margin that Art wanted it to be, Rome didn't like the profit margin either (on the sublet).

Further, if you tell people you're making no money, it disarms the customer into thinking that you cant afford to keep the place up. A tactic that obviously convinced you..

I find it laughable some of you that think we won't have a track.

trust me, i grew up at the track, i (and my entire family) have volunteered and worked out there for the past 20 years... i know what's going on out there, i know that ever since art took the place it has never turned a profit, i know that Art has no desire to continue it's operation, and Rome has no funds to continue it's operation.

And the "no money" tactic doesn't work on me, i've never paid to get through the gate there, i only pay when i'm racing on the oval, otherwise i get in free because i am a volunteer... so even if it was a marketing scheme (which it's not) they must do a hell of a job convincing people who don't pay anyways.

And if you think you know the motorcycle guys, ask them why the track in turn 5 was literally a gravel pit before the nationals last year, only to be repaired 3 days before the races, because Rome was waiting for the Wednesday before because there was a big monster truck show on the oval, which he used the funds from that to pave corner 5... he is literally running this track day to day, by the seat of his pants.

reiRei
01-15-2008, 02:59 PM
it really bothers me with such a thriving economy, and growing automotive culture in Calgary that nobody is willing to step up and start something new out here, honestly, do we need a race horse track out in Balzac, why not convert it into an automotive race track..

I'm all for a new track, Race City was nice, but the state of the place is dismal, honestly broken up concrete everywhere, lumpy drag strip, crappy staging lanes, not enough lighting...

it'll be interesting to see where this goes in the next few years, but heck, crappy track or not.. I'll race at Race City next season

BerserkerCatSplat
01-15-2008, 03:05 PM

i know that ever since art took the place it has never turned a profit

I think that says it all right there.

Thaco
01-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Why does that sound so unbelievable? :rolleyes:

I told you what I know.

Edit: I suspect you guys will be thanking a few people from the motorcycle roadracing community when and IF it's all said and done.

As for your motorcycle roadracing guys that will save the day... please explain yourself since this thread

http://roadracing.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2328&highlight=race+city

on the CMRA message board clearly shows them throwing in the towel on racecity

Big Dangerous
01-15-2008, 03:25 PM

trust me, i grew up at the track, i (and my entire family) have volunteered and worked out there for the past 20 years (i was even awarded a Plaque last year recognizing that)... i know what's going on out there, i know that ever since art took the place it has never turned a profit, i know that Art has no desire to continue it's operation, and Rome has no funds to continue it's operation.

And the "no money" tactic doesn't work on me, i've never paid to get through the gate there, i only pay when i'm racing on the oval, otherwise i get in free because i am a volunteer... so even if it was a marketing scheme (which it's not) they must do a hell of a job convincing people who don't pay anyways.

And if you think you know the motorcycle guys, ask them why the track in turn 5 was literally a gravel pit before the nationals last year, only to be repaired 3 days before the races, because Rome was waiting for the Wednesday before because there was a big monster truck show on the oval, which he used the funds from that to pave corner 5... he is literally running this track day to day, by the seat of his pants. I know who you are don't worry.
:D

I know about turn five, the carousel.. I also know that it slid out like a carpet when they repaved it after a driving school rented the track. I also know that our lap record dipped well into the 1:15's on the 4/5 repave.

I appreciate all of your volunteer efforts, without people like you, there wouldn't be a track.

I know the rough numbers though dude... was looking at a possible purchase with a group 2 years ago before this all came up. (What Rome eventually did)

The "no money" bit isn't any kind of marketing scheme either. It's a great reason to keep the little bit of profit generated by the place and not have to explain it(and rightfully so). Its a good way to answer for the disrepair, and an even better way to bump entrance fees an extra $5. <- That's little to do with promotions.

Race city had a good run.. the next track will as well, but we will need the financial backing to keep up the place on top of the initial buy.

If you look at the tracks in Ontario, they see a re-pave every couple of years.. they have good support equipment and get plenty of use.
Another example, Miller Utah, the day of qualifying in a regional race they are asking the racers where the "bumps" are and hitting it with a steam roller.

We need a big committment, we need marketing.. GOOD marketing, that will get into the homes of everyone in Calgary, not just they already-interested-regular-joe.

To do that, we need to have a facility that can provide for national level and even international level events. We can't have weeds growing in the middle of the track, chipping paint on the candy rails and water filled pot holes in the middle of turns. There can't be missing boards in the stands, and there can't be some annoying buzzing in the public address system that won't shut off.

A market needs to be created for a facility of that calbre. A lot of people think there already is a market, but in reality it's a small following... groupies for the sake of comparison.
We've got a million people here.. we have the population..

There's a lot of things being considered in the new development (obviously) and one thing is just how big of a playground they want to build.

As for your motorcycle roadracing guys that will save the day... please explain yourself since this thread

http://roadracing.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2328&amp;highlight=race+city

on the CMRA message board clearly shows them throwing in the towel on racecity Why would I try to explain speculation by people who aren't involved??

You're a frustrating person to deal with, online and in person. I think part of that is your marriage to the track that you've lived at for the last 10 years.

I never once said the entire CMRA was building a new facility. A number of members there are in meetings with other interested groups.

About your earlier comments,

How could you not make the distinction between a complaint about managerial neglect, and people saying they 'don't want a race track'? Especially when you just called the place a shithole yourself???

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

I think that says it all right there.

It really doesn't. Thaco is a volunteer. He doesn't run the place and he isn't their book keeper.

Again, I've seen the rough numbers, Thaco has not.. regardless of whether or not he tries to qualify himself by telling us he's a volunteer... facts are facts.

I'm not trying be standoffish here, but Thaco, you aren't qualified to say what you've been saying man.. sorry.

Thaco
01-15-2008, 03:41 PM

How could you not make the distinction between a complaint about managerial neglect, and people saying they 'don't want a race track'? Especially when you just called the place a shithole yourself???

I didn't say the entire CMRA was planning to step up either.

I never said that they said they don't want the track, i said they don't seem very optimistic about it either... And i don't ever recall calling the place a shit hole, i simply said that it'll give art a good reason to completely abandon it, he's been trying to sell ti for 4 years, this is finally his way out... i really hope i'm proven wrong and a new facility arises from the ashes, but i am doubtful.

And i realise the entire CMRA will not be the ones to fund a new track if it were to ever happen, the CMRA doesn't have any money, they're non-profit... they couldn't buy it if they wanted to.

Big Dangerous
01-15-2008, 03:44 PM
There you go.

I guess you'd also know that Race City, as a piece of land couldn't be "bought".. only leased from the city.

Thaco
01-15-2008, 03:48 PM
There you go.

I guess you'd also know that Race City, as a piece of land couldn't be &quot;bought&quot;.. only leased from the city. it's not the land that would be bought, it's the facility and everyhting on the land, i am aware of the lease issue and it's been assume for the past 5 years (or more) that the lease would not be renewed, so this whole thing i really no big suprise.

Big Dangerous
01-15-2008, 04:02 PM
I wasn't surprised either. There's been talk of annex for a long while now.. that was rumored to be for the ring road, a new dump etc..

The "plan" is a completely different locale altogether. (Though we may go for a couple years without)

Thaco
01-15-2008, 04:07 PM
I wasn't surprised either. There's been talk of annex for a long while now.. that was rumored to be for the ring road, a new dump etc..

The &quot;plan&quot; is a completely different locale altogether. (Though we may go for a couple years without)

well all the rumors i've heard are for a community lake, like Mackenzie and stuff like that, as well as the road course south of the drag tower will be used for an on/offramp for the ring road (still 3-4 years away), they can't build anything on the land because it's a previous dump site and there is water below it so they can't use it for anything structural as the ground is too unstable, i think that's half the issues with keeping pavement on the place, the ground settles a bit and creates a bump and eventually a crack, which starts to peel up.

rage2
01-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by reiRei
it really bothers me with such a thriving economy, and growing automotive culture in Calgary that nobody is willing to step up and start something new out here, honestly, do we need a race horse track out in Balzac, why not convert it into an automotive race track..
Horse racing is huge out here. Very profitable business. My ex's dad is into it, out of curiosity last year I asked a lot about the money side of things to gain an understanding of the business model, and there's a lot of money in it on both the racers side as well as the gambling side of things. It's 10000x more profitable than auto racing even if there's a small community of racers. That's why there's a horse racetrack out in Balzac.

As for auto racing, there's only a very small community of actual racing enthusiasts that are willing to put money out there to play. Calgary's a town full of posers... people here buy BMW's to show their wealth, not to experience how well it actually performs at the track. I've tried convincing so many people over the years to come out to the track and give it a try... most tried it once and that was it. There's just no interest. Being able to lap the roadcourse in record time doesn't get pussy. The badge on their cars does I guess? :rofl: Look at all the cars at the last 3 yrs worth of import shows. How many of them actually touched the track? I'd say 15 or 20 cars out of 1000?

Thriving economy, record sports car sales (even tho it can only be used for what, 6 months here?) does not translate to a large racing community unfortunately. The street racers, well, they'll never go to the track. Totally different goals (street racers vs legit track guys).

STi403
01-15-2008, 04:19 PM
maybe zahir will build one for us lol hes got the money and cars for it. ya right im dreaming

Cword
01-15-2008, 04:48 PM
As renewal terms for the exemption of Lead in competition fuels gets tighter The viability of some types of racing are going to have a profound effect on what type of track could be in the city's future.
it 2003 lead got a 5 year exemption, now the proposal is for just one year.

http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partI/2007/20071222/html/regle1-e.html

speedracer
01-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Calgary's a town full of posers... people here buy BMW's to show their wealth, not to experience how well it actually performs at the track. I've tried convincing so many people over the years to come out to the track and give it a try... most tried it once and that was it. There's just no interest.
:rofl: :rofl:

How true it is :(. I've brought so many friends to the track. Only a couple have stuck with it (no, really only 2) out of the many lapping days, solo 2 ....

It takes I guess a whole different kind of person to drive.

Originally posted by rage2

Being able to lap the roadcourse in record time doesn't get pussy. The badge on their cars does I guess? :rofl:

Damn it :banghead:

CSCC has had multiple postings ever year since the club has had close ties with RCMP:

http://cscc.speedracer.ca/forums/index.php/topic,7516.0.html

For those that think there is time. There isn't. Come 2009 and 2010 there will be no racing in Calgary. So, a track location needs to be found now.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-15-2008, 06:54 PM

It really doesn't. Thaco is a volunteer. He doesn't run the place and he isn't their book keeper.

Again, I've seen the rough numbers, Thaco has not.. regardless of whether or not he tries to qualify himself by telling us he's a volunteer... facts are facts.

Sorry if you misinterpreted my statement, I was implying that Art couldn't manage his way out of a paper bag.

Tik-Tok
01-15-2008, 07:19 PM

Done :)

speedracer
01-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Bug your local Alderman and the Mayor :D

http://cscc.speedracer.ca/forums/index.php/topic,7516.msg30643.html#msg30643

And sign the petition as well :D

Thaco
01-16-2008, 02:55 PM
not that it'll do any good, but here's a direct link to the petition

http://www.petitiononline.com/racecity/petition.html

97'Scort
01-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
please make them build another track.. I dont want a good excuse to go to Edmonton.

We don't have a road course, and Stratotech doesn't count. :(

ianmcc
01-17-2008, 11:54 AM
This city needs a first-class racing facility. Race City is all we have so to close it without providing an alternative would be a tragedy. I think a facility near the airport makes sense when you consider the noise factor.
Take a look at the size of the Race City facility...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c272/02ztsian/RCMP-1.jpg

Then the highlighted area near the airport, between Barlow and the service road...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c272/02ztsian/Airport.jpg

To the south there is much more room I just didn't get it in the picture but you get the idea.
Looks like more than enough room. I have already contacted Mr. McIvor about this.

Mibz
01-17-2008, 11:58 AM
There's a ton of room just south of the city as well, though I agree with the airport being a good area because of noise.

Big Dangerous
01-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort

We don't have a road course, and Stratotech doesn't count. :( LOL@ the go-kart/mini track

Toms-SC
01-27-2008, 07:13 PM
It got more media attention today on channel 7.

rmk
01-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Typical Calgary move.

4wheeldrift
01-27-2008, 07:22 PM
It got more media attention today on channel 7. Here's hoping attention translates into action.

fast95pony
01-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Take a look at the 20 year airport plan. A new north/south runway is planned to be built where Barlow Tr is now..

Nice try though..

Originally posted by ianmcc
This city needs a first-class racing facility. Race City is all we have so to close it without providing an alternative would be a tragedy. I think a facility near the airport makes sense when you consider the noise factor.
Take a look at the size of the Race City facility...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c272/02ztsian/RCMP-1.jpg

Then the highlighted area near the airport, between Barlow and the service road...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c272/02ztsian/Airport.jpg

To the south there is much more room I just didn't get it in the picture but you get the idea.
Looks like more than enough room. I have already contacted Mr. McIvor about this.

HIDStop
02-17-2008, 04:07 AM
Anyone know how many acres race city is sitting on?

STi403
03-02-2008, 04:52 PM
wow juss read sum good news thought i would share. new race track openig 2009. http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2008/03/02/4887178-sun.html
:thumbsup:

CivicDXR
03-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by STi403
wow juss read sum good news thought i would share. new race track openig 2009. http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2008/03/02/4887178-sun.html
:thumbsup:

FAIL - reason: reading ownz joo...

From article
"Construction is still moving forward. They have completed the first barn and three-quarters of the track is rough graded," he reported.

The person that said everything is on track is the CEO for... wait for it.... Horse Racing Alberta...

its a horse racing track, nothing to do with race city...

schocker
03-02-2008, 05:04 PM
oh how many times will the horse racing tracks trick beyond members :rofl:

it would be nice, but we will have to wait and see what pans out from the race city closure.

Destinova403
03-02-2008, 05:31 PM
unless someone is willing to front the initial investment cost to construct the track it obviously wont happen... idealy IMO... if the city builds the track and then finds investors it could be successful in raising interest and bringing more events to the track. the problem is it needs a draw... a way to bring people in who wouldn't normally come to the track. i honestly dont think that finding a spot for it would be very difficult... theres tons of city land and farm land around the outskirts of the city which would make an ideal location.

CivicTunr
03-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR

FAIL - reason: reading ownz joo...

The person that said everything is on track is the CEO for... wait for it.... Horse Racing Alberta...

its a horse racing track, nothing to do with race city...

well STI403 does own a subaru so for him it wouldnt be too bad :rofl:

marko polo
03-02-2008, 05:44 PM
why don't u guys just buy some race horses?. and race those instead haha.

Canmorite
03-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403
unless someone is willing to front the initial investment cost to construct the track it obviously wont happen... idealy IMO... if the city builds the track and then finds investors it could be successful in raising interest and bringing more events to the track. the problem is it needs a draw... a way to bring people in who wouldn't normally come to the track. i honestly dont think that finding a spot for it would be very difficult... theres tons of city land and farm land around the outskirts of the city which would make an ideal location.

If they could bring more car related events that will always help. Some tracks hold concerts and other large events that bring in equal or more revenue. This would be ideal for Race City because they have a TON of parking.

Large outdoor venues FTW!

88jbody
03-02-2008, 07:05 PM
If there was a good facility built there would be more then enough events to make it profitable. if 5 years ago they would have dumped 100,000 into upgrades at race city they would have made that back 2 or 3 times over.

but with how fast it is growing around the airport the land there will quickly be taken up. so is probably too late to find land there. well any land there that is left would be worth too much to use as a track.

I think somewhere needs to be found to the SE of the city.

Antonito
03-02-2008, 07:10 PM
I think if thigns aren't going to happen under normal circumstances, the government should find a way to bend the tax laws and consider donations to the building of the track to be a charitable donation (ie: tax break). It really is in the cities best interest to have a track, I've been super impressed by the average Beyonders attitude towards racing ("take it to the track"), and now what would people be able to say?

reiRei
03-11-2008, 09:17 PM
*bump*

another thrilling chapter in the Race City vs. City of Calgary saga:

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2008/03/11/4975096.html

Race City waves caution flag over property assessment
UPDATED: 2008-03-11 18:08:29 MST

By SHAWN LOGAN, SUN MEDIA

Faced with more than a four-fold increase in property taxes, the general manager of Race City Motorsport Park says the city is putting the pedal to the metal to drive him out of business.

With the popular speedway already under the gun with the lease on its city-owned land set to expire in 2010, Rome Awde said his property tax bill spiked from $45,000 to almost $200,000 this year, which could speed the park to an earlier exit.

Awde said the track is already under pressure to find a large tract of land for a new home in a pricey marketplace, but after seeing its property assessment soar from $3 million to $18 million in one year, he believes the city is trying to push them out sooner.

“If the city doesn’t go back to the 2007 tax situation, it could quite possibly close down the facility,” he said.

“A 600% increase in assessed value from one year to the next, that essentially puts me out of business.”

The 64-hectare parcel, on 68 St. S.E. near the Shepard landfill, has been a haven for racing enthusiasts for 40 years but will have to find a new home by the end of 2010 as the city plans to use the land to expand its operations.

Ald. Ric McIver has been trying to get the city to offer up some more land but he was told in council Monday that there was none available to house a new facility.

But with Race City threatening to close its doors, Amy Enfield, a spokeswoman with the city’s assessment department, said while the numbers were accurate, it’s too early to rule out a mistake.

She said most people are required to make formal appeals prior to Feb. 4 but in this case the city will investigate to ensure the proper numbers were arrived at.

“Certainly I don’t believe the city is in the business of screwing people,” she said, noting the investigation could take a couple of days.

“The city stands behind the process — the customer would not be expected to pay if there were mistakes made along the way.”

speedracer
03-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Even better yet is a letter mailed (with a stamp) to the mayors office and your alderman (might as well add your provincial MLA).

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_780_235_0_43/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Municipal+Government/Office+of+the+Aldermen/Office+of+the+Aldermen.htm

The City of Calgary
Aldermanic Offices (8001)
P.O. Box 2100, Station M
Calgary AB T2P 2M5

Shawn

reiRei
03-14-2008, 03:45 PM
I say we protest!

drive up to city hall, and park in all the lanes in front of it.. rendering N/B mcleod trail useless.

blownz
03-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort

We don't have a road course, and Stratotech doesn't count. :(

LOL@ the go-kart/mini track
Out of curiosity what is so wrong with Stratotech? Sure you can't hit the same speeds as you can at Racecity, but the track is still a ton of fun and most cars can easily hit 120-150 on the straights. It is a really fun track and the best part is it is in amazing condition unlike Racecity.

Antonito
03-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by reiRei
“Certainly I don’t believe the city is in the business of screwing people,” she said,

Not to derail, but does it bother anyone else that this is the type of language that passes for official statements from the city these days?

ACURA dreamin
03-26-2008, 02:42 PM
A coworker of mine brought this to my attention the other day. He is an avid Drag fan and just as worried about losing our track. So he has joined into this new group that is supporting calgary's motorsports. Calgary Motorsports Association is the group and the idea behind it is power in numbers. He explained it to me like this. If the motorcylce guys approach city hall its say a couple hundred people that want answers. If the drag guys approach city hall a couple hundred want answers to their questions. But with ONE group with a couple THOUSAND racers and fans alot more can be accomplished.

Lets not kid ourselves the drifting community isn't that big although it is growing everyday. With this group solidarity can be found with all other racers looking for the same goal. I was also told that there are some people on the board for this association that have good connections with those in city hall.
Anyway this is what i have been told. I am not on the board but I am tring to get this out there. I have tried their website and it looked like it was still under construction ( www.calgarymotorsportsassociation.ca ) So with due time I hope they can get everything off the ground and start making an impact. I am not too sure if they have an email set up yet.

I have recieved a membership application to the association. This is where they can show city hall this is how many members are supporting them. I have sent mine in and have handed out a dozen or so. How do I post a PDF file on here for others to fill it out and send it in.