PDA

View Full Version : Im Looking For Goalie Equipment

Jdub1933
01-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Hey I recently found out that I have been shoved into goalie position with my group of friends and being that I am stuburn as hell... i was wondering if anyone knew of any good sites to buy NEW goalie equipment sets or individual equipment for a decent price, like between $400-$1000.

everywhere I have looked, i have found cheap sets but when i say cheap Im not talking about the price
:thumbsdow

please lemme know

Maddog55
01-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Jdub1933
Hey I recently found out that I have been shoved into goalie position with my group of friends and being that I am stuburn as hell... i was wondering if anyone knew of any good sites to buy NEW goalie equipment sets or individual equipment for a decent price, like between $400-$1000.

everywhere I have looked, i have found cheap sets but when i say cheap Im not talking about the price

please lemme know

Are you talking Ice hockey??? If you are then you're looking at a lot more than $400-$1000, considering a good pair of pads will run you a thousand bucks alone. Skates a good $500...Blocker a few hundred, glove the same...

$400-$1000 for the whole setup and you're talking Canadian-tire street hockey equipment.

sl888
01-14-2008, 07:49 PM
My buddy got his at Adrenaline Source for Sports. I think he spent a little over $1200 and got some really nice RBK stuff. It was their grand opening then so he could've gotten a really good deal. But I'm sure if you're getting full equipment they would give you a good deal anyways.

Jdub1933
01-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Maddog55

Are you talking Ice hockey??? If you are then you're looking at a lot more than $400-$1000, considering a good pair of pads will run you a thousand bucks alone. Skates a good $500...Blocker a few hundred, glove the same...

$400-$1000 for the whole setup and you're talking Canadian-tire street hockey equipment.

No I am talking about Ice hockey, not street hockey, and there are place to get goalie equipment SETS around that price one example would be this store i found that sells their stuff on Ebay and they say it is brand new

http://stores.ebay.ca/HockeyPlusMore_Goalie-Sets_Senior-Sets_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ13813275QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Im leaning to this site as a potential choice but most of these sets dont show side views of the pads and from what i can tell they look like those cheap ones that have no volume to them just a thin straight pads

just thought I would check out some other sources before I give them a try.

Jdub1933
01-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Just to clear things up, Im only looking for the following.

1. Pads
2. Catcher & Blocker
3. Chest protector
4. Possibly a helmet

I have most of the rest.

98type_r
01-14-2008, 11:40 PM
try hockeygeeks (http://www.hockeygeeks.com) for a canada based company

its a bit cheaper in the states but shipping/duty/brokerage charges are a hassle. If you want to go that route, then go to icewarehouse (http://www.icewarehouse.com)

R-Audi
01-15-2008, 09:02 AM
I have been doing all my shopping at Ward and Patch/Goalie Crease out of Toronto....they also have an eBay store. The prices are way cheaper then Calgary (Got pro level TPS pads and Gloves for the price of the pads at the goalie shop)
If you order more then just pads, shipping is free, and takes two days to arrive!!

Maddog55
01-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Maddog55

No I am talking about Ice hockey, not street hockey, and there are place to get goalie equipment SETS around that price one example would be this store i found that sells their stuff on Ebay and they say it is brand new

http://stores.ebay.ca/HockeyPlusMore_Goalie-Sets_Senior-Sets_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ13813275QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Read my post...thats what I am talking about. Ice.

And I thought you didn't want cheap quality stuff. That ebay stuff is crap.

Like I said....if you want good equipment, you're looking at over $1,000...unless you're okay with "cheap" stuff.

celica girl
01-15-2008, 09:56 AM
What level are you playing at? For that price range you will end up with intermediate pads. The pro stuff is way more expensive.

R-Audi
01-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Most of the stuff on ebay is decent Sr. intermediate gear....and really for that price range thats what you will end up with.

If you find gear you like (hit up goalie shop, Tuxedo, BP) call Ward and patch to see what it costs there

Jdub1933
01-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Im playing about 1-2 times a week in a friend based competitive league, so i dont need nhl quality. All im looking for is something to stop the howitzers that Im sure my friends will be feeding me.

I just dont want the pads that run pretty much straight and look all boxy and the padding looks thin when looking at the side view.

danielgoldfinch
01-15-2008, 03:30 PM
go to www.hockeymonkey.com
best place and cheapest by far

celica girl
01-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Im playing about 1-2 times a week in a friend based competitive league, so i dont need nhl quality. All im looking for is something to stop the howitzers that Im sure my friends will be feeding me.

I just dont want the pads that run pretty much straight and look all boxy and the padding looks thin when looking at the side view.

You can check around to see if anyone has any intermediate 12" pads / gloves sets left. I know they were all trying to clear them out because 11" is the standard now.

I think RBK makes a pretty decent 'affordable' set.

Jdub1933
01-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Ya RBK II 6K is near the top of my list right now, and goalie monkey has the 6K set for the cheapest that ive seen so far at $530.

R-Audi
01-15-2008, 04:12 PM

No offense... that that basically describes most current sets.

-Any pad can be made into a decent S-Shape... RBK's are known to be on the stiffer side

-Thinning the thigh rise is a way of weight reduction.. and in no way affects protection or playability.
-90% of the pads on teh market today are box style.. the older pads with the shin rolls are tough to come by.

What you should do is head down to the goalie shop/Tuxedo/BP Cycle and try on various pads.. then order them elsewhere.
Goalie/Hockey monkey is good.. but then you have to worry about corss border shipping... honestly stick with Goalie Crease, Dukes, or any other shop out east.. its well worth your time. Both of those have 'eBay stores' which you can either bid there, or call them about products listed.

shadowz
01-15-2008, 04:32 PM
PM JDM DC2 he has a couple spare masks and I believe chest protector and pants as well

celica girl
01-15-2008, 10:23 PM
You can also check out the Brian's DX2. I am a Brian's girl and use the Beasts... I love them. I ordered mine from Dukes and they have GREAT prices and customer service.

Jdub1933
01-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Hey thx for all the great leads.

In the end though i must admit i got INSANELY LUCKY!!!

My father called me for the first time in like 2 years and while talking i mentioned my goalie equipment senario and turns out he has a friend that works in hockey equipment and apparel store out in vancouver. He gave me his number, i called him and told him situation he said " no problem tell me what you want ill buy if for my COST and send it out, you give me money, alls good"

so i got a SET of vaughn Velosity's kind of like Kiprusoff's but different colors that included glove and blocker for his cost of $800.00 and then i add the chest piece for his cost of $120.00. So i almost maxed out my limit but i dont mind paying my limit for such good qual items.

R-Audi
01-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Wow.. awesome deal... Wnna buy anything else from that store??
I didnt think the markup was that high...

celica girl
01-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Wow.. awesome deal... Wnna buy anything else from that store??
I didnt think the markup was that high...

The mark up on this stuff is HUGE! I have a friend who works in a sporting goods store and he got a full set of V3's for about a grand... he can't buy me stuff though cuz I'm a lot shorter than he is... LOL.

Seems like Calgary is the most expensive for goalie stuff... I bought my Brian's from Dukes for $1400 and here they were $1900 and still $1650 after my discount... it's just nuts!

Jdub1933
01-17-2008, 10:18 PM
unforntunatly i cant buy any more gear from him...

If i did they would start asking him why he needs so many pairs of pads, skates, etc... and in different sizes

and yes mark up is massive, if you think about it, all pads and items are made in factorys through mass production on the assembly line, when they buy the materials they need for the products in bulk, it saves them mad amounts of money.

so it costs them so little to make the product, but they still need profit so they hike up the price for retailers, this inturn causes retailers to want a profit and they hike it up even more.

what can I say...the world is a massive scam!

R-Audi
01-18-2008, 08:53 AM
The Pro level pads are made by hand in Canada (most of them) while the lower level equipment is outsourced to Asia.. with a few companies starting to send all their work there....