PDA

View Full Version : Need everyone input on Red Light Camera postion make a custom POI for Garmin GPS unit

92_VTEC_lude
01-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Hey all
I just gota GARMIN GPS unit and it got a cool custom POI (Point Of Interested) loader allow you to load your own POI for red light camera, speed trap, and other places. I already got a file load with all the RED LIGHT CAMERA and Speed Trap in Canada wide, but I want to take it to a step futher by adding a Direction of the camera facing so I can get more acurate warning if I head down that direction.
here is an example as I got:
"17th Ave & 44th St SE" in the already made csv file to load onto my Garmin unit but it will not tell me which direction the camera facing so I edited it to
"West Bound 17th Ave & 44th St SE"
this way I will get a flash red warning and beep on my Garmin GPS unit when I am close to that street corner and I should be able to tell that the camera is on the WEST bound of 17ave SE and I should be safe if I am heading EAST bound on 17ave SE. I am looking into if I can even modify it futher to warn only when you are going WEST bound on 17ave SE, right now it will warn you regardless which direction you are coming from.

Here is the list of Red Light Camera I remembered or got from your input and edited in my GARMIN loader
"West Bound Anderson Rd & Acadia Dr SE"
"North Bound 52St & 32Ave NE"
"North Bound Barlow Trl & Centre Ave E"
"West Bound 17th Ave & 44St SE"
"West Bound Memorial Dr & 52St NE"
"West Bound McKnight Blvd NE & Falconridge Blvd"
"South Bound 68St & 16Ave NE"
"South Bound Macleod Trail & 162Ave"
"East Bound Country Hills Blvd& 14St NW "
"East Bound Country Hills Blvd & Beddington Trl"
"South Bound Fairmount Dr & Southland Dr SE"
"West Bound Southland Dr & Acadia Dr"
"East Bound Glenmore Trail & Barlow Trail"
"West Bound 61Ave & Barlow Trail SE"
"West Bound Memorial Dr & 28St SE"
"East Bound Canyon Mdws Dr & Bow Bottom SE"
"South Bound Barlow Trail & 32Ave NE"
"East Bound Edmonton Trl & McKnight Blvd NE"
"South Bound Barlow Trl & McKnight Blvd NE"
"South Bound Blackfoot Trail & 42Ave SE"
"South bound Sarcee Trail & Richmond Rd SW"
"East Bound John Laurie Blvd & 53St NW"
"North Bound Shaganappi Tr & Northland Dr NW"
"North Bound Macleod Trail & 12Ave SE"
"North Bound Macleod Trail & 7 Ave SE"
"North Bound Macleod Trail & 25Ave SE"
"South Bound 1St & 17Ave SE"
"East Bound 9Ave & 11St SW"
"North Bound Crowchild Tr & 24Ave NW"
"West Bound 64Ave & 4St NE"

Here is the rest of the Red Light Camera direction I need your input from , some area I am not going to pass by but it is still nice to know, also I will share this database with others as well. I do not ask you to drive out to the corner and look but if you pass by these corners in your everyday drive then please share the direction of the camera facing. You can copy down the line and add the bound infront of it or let me know the direction of it facing I will find out the bound using Google Earth.
Thankyou all in advance for your helps.

"17th Ave & 33rd St SW"
"Carling Ave & Richmond Rd"
"14th St & Northmount Dr NW"
"Beddington Blvd. & Centre St N"
"Bowness Rd NW & Shaganappi Trl"
"Centre St & 20th Ave N"
"Elbow Dr & Southland Dr SW"
"Falconridge Blvd & 64 Ave NE"
"4th St & 6th Ave SW"
"11th Ave & 4th St SW"
"11th Ave & 14th St SW"
"14th St & Heritage Dr"
"16th Ave & 10th St NW"

JRSC00LUDE
01-15-2008, 03:34 PM
While the fact that you can do that is pretty interesting (learned something new again), it seem like a lot more work than just not running red lights.

EDIT: Don't take that the wrong way, I think being able to have all that info. on there is pretty sweet!

irs
01-15-2008, 03:38 PM
That sounds to be an awsome device!

Especial once they put in photo camera's for speeding. Then you will know when to go slower.

Good on ya!

I have to get one of those from you when you are done!!

98type_r
01-15-2008, 03:38 PM
soon these will be equipped with photo radar won't they?

Euro_Trash
01-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Only one I know:
South Bound Macleod Trail & 162 Ave

Speed_69
01-15-2008, 04:46 PM
I don't think you have to make your own. I heard about this on the radio over a month ago where it's already offered on the internet by a couple guys for free. Can't remember the website though.

I found another one though..
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=61154&whichpage=1

max_boost
01-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
While the fact that you can do that is pretty interesting (learned something new again), it seem like a lot more work than just not running red lights.

EDIT: Don't take that the wrong way, I think being able to have all that info. on there is pretty sweet! I agree 100%.

illeagle
01-15-2008, 04:54 PM
For work, i did a Left lane closure so these clowns can install a speed camera on glenmore trail westbound, just before the macleod overpass (where the max drops to 50km/h) it's attatched to the structure holding the overhead signs. It kinda looks like a dome-shaped mall security camera. Not 100% sure if it is in fact a speed camera, That's just what the installers told me it was.

benyl
01-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69
I don't think you have to make your own. I heard about this on the radio over a month ago where it's already offered on the internet by a couple guys for free. Can't remember the website though.

I found another one though..

I have been using this for over a month.

92_VTEC_lude
01-15-2008, 05:27 PM
I never claim that I wrote the original cvs on my own, I ask for the infor so i can edit the already made csv file from that
http://www.gpspassion.com/
I want to be able to tell which direction of the camera facing so I can ask Garmin if they can release a new software update to have the unit only warn when you are in that direction only. If not I can ask them to release their software code so I can look into it myself. Also the warning on the Garmin GPS unit will display exactly what I put in its text field in the cvs file.
This is never mean for I or anyone to run a red light with this infor but I like the new toy in my car and I like to explore whatever it has to offer: adding your own custom speed trap position, add your own warning icon, add your own mp3 file as a warning tone for Garmin GPS unit....
I will edit the first post of the camera position I am known off from your input until the list is empty....:D
3 more camera positions edited
thanks Euro_Trash and KoukiS14

FreakinPrince
01-15-2008, 05:30 PM
does this work for all garmin gps? or speific models?

92_VTEC_lude
01-15-2008, 08:52 PM
check out the forum on
http://www.gpspassion.com/
and you will find out so far I seen all the Garmin GPS model are able to do this as long as it has the SD card slot.

Originally posted by illeagle
For work, i did a Left lane closure so these clowns can install a speed camera on glenmore trail westbound, just before the macleod overpass (where the max drops to 50km/h) it's attatched to the structure holding the overhead signs. It kinda looks like a dome-shaped mall security camera. Not 100% sure if it is in fact a speed camera, That's just what the installers told me it was.
I think that is the TRAFFIC CAMERA only because Red light Camera need to have a bright flash install for night time picture...

gofastmerc
01-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Cool site. I just got a Garmin for christmas, still learning all that I can do with it.

01RedDX
01-15-2008, 09:39 PM

92_VTEC_lude
01-15-2008, 11:04 PM
I have NAV system made by GARMIN for KENWOOD double din head unit, it is way better than any NAV system on after market head unit I ever seen or used, that why I have to load the POI into it by using the SD card, for other Garmin GPS unit I think they use USB cord to do it, I could be wrong since I do not pay attention to other portable Garmin unit.
that where I got my orginal csv and trying to edit it to my style with direction of the camera...
Look at this INDEX for more POI they offer for free on that site
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56474

me&you
01-15-2008, 11:19 PM
There's this one as well:

http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/ste.asp?state=AB&city=Calgary

Does anyone know if there's a way to DL this to a factory nav system? The GPSpassion Forums seem to only deal with the aftermarket units.

benyl
01-16-2008, 10:22 AM
For factory nav, you have integrate it into your POI list on the DVD itself.

There is a torrent floating around for the new european version 2008-1 of Navteqs DVD that someone modified to add speed camera POI.

Hopefully there will be a POI update for the 2008-1 NA DVD that should be coming out next month.

GQBalla
01-16-2008, 12:02 PM
can anybody provide steps to put this on a garmin nuvi 250?

HondaRice
01-16-2008, 12:41 PM
"Memorial Dr & 28th St NE" is the Southeast

Thats like telling giving someone directions instead of telling them to go 100 km southeast go 100km north east.

http://westnet.ca/members/hondarice/idiots.jpg

92_VTEC_lude
01-16-2008, 06:50 PM
LOL the original CSV was created by some guy in ON so he would not know the difference, that is why i am trying to correct it as much as possible for Calgary while adding more speed trap location in Calgary to his original CSV file and make the WARNING or ALERT display better.... I do not know where he got all the infor from but he got CANADA wide on speed trap and red light camera for free to all Garmin GPS owner... There is almost 1500 entries on his free CSV for both red light camera and speed trap Canada wide, I already added a few speed traps I know of and using the website me&you posted I got a few more around Calgary as well....
I got a few more redlight camera position today on the way home from work, so the unknown list is getting shorter...:thumbsup:

Jay911
01-16-2008, 10:39 PM
I set up one for my Garmin nuvi 660 about a year ago.

I turned it off about 11 months ago after it annoyed me one too many times.

(bong!) Alert: Macleod x Glenmore

Of course, I also use my GPS as a music player in the car, so take that as you will.

To the poster who was talking about a camera mounted in a bubble housing ... those are traffic monitoring cameras. They don't take/record individual autos nor do they have any speed measuring or red-light-detection capabilities. They are piped to various places like Public Safety Communications (the city's emergency dispatch center) and transit, roads, etc., so that the officials can get a grip on what traffic is like.

A handful of the cameras are even viewable by the public off the city's website: http://65.104.36.247/default.asp?display=cams&area=calgary&TextOnly=

tentacles
01-16-2008, 10:57 PM
a speed camera on glenmore trail westbound, just before the macleod overpass (where the max drops to 50km/h)

FUCK. :banghead:

92_VTEC_lude
01-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by tentacles
a speed camera on glenmore trail westbound, just before the macleod overpass (where the max drops to 50km/h)

yeah I got that one added in my speed trap csv
thanks

DayGlow
01-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by illeagle

I believe it's a traffic flow camera, you can access all of them off of the city of calgary wesite

http://65.104.36.247/default.asp?display=cams&area=calgary&TextOnly=

http://trafficcam.calgary.ca/loc27.jpg

403Gemini
01-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by DayGlow

I believe it's a traffic flow camera, you can access all of them off of the city of calgary wesite

http://65.104.36.247/default.asp?display=cams&area=calgary&TextOnly=

http://trafficcam.calgary.ca/loc27.jpg

thats awesome! well, there goes my morning!

92_VTEC_lude
01-20-2008, 05:06 PM
got a few more positions done today,
anyone can help with other camera postition????

HIDStop
01-20-2008, 05:14 PM
"John Laurie Blvd & 53 St NW"
Camera faces east.

"Shaganappi Tr & Northland Dr N"
Camera faces north.

dino_martini
01-20-2008, 05:21 PM

92_VTEC_lude
01-25-2008, 01:45 PM
got a few more camera positions done today on the way going downtown.
thanks dino_martini and HIDStop for other camera position
still need help for the rest of the camera postion...:D

Proboscis
01-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini

Worst intersection ever designed.

ashee
01-26-2008, 01:20 AM
EB on 9th Ave & 11th St SW I got caught there, bahh.

rayquan
01-28-2008, 12:33 PM
WB on 64th Ave & 4th St NE

prae
01-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Crowchild Tr & 24 Ave NW

camera faces north

you might call it "westbound", rather than "northbound"

92_VTEC_lude
01-31-2008, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by prae
Crowchild Tr & 24 Ave NW