PDA

View Full Version : HLP: Autobody shop (apprentice)

WiltonKillz
01-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Hey, im 17 and im looking into getting into the auto body trade
as maybe prepper and maybe work my way up to refinisher with more exp.
im just wondering if any shops that you might know of are hiring?
im able to work weekends right now and full time in the summer as im currently a student in high school,
i had worked with kal tire as an apprentice last summer but have been very interested in auto body,
im a very reliable hardworking person willing to do what it takes to make this a career for myself.

SkittleFreak
01-15-2008, 06:05 PM
as well, i'm looking for fulltime autobody in the south end :)

pinoyformula
01-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Research a body shop near your area and just go in and talk to a body shop manager and ask if he needs any help. Majority of the the time there going to ask you if you worked at a body shop before. If you never worked at a body shop before you have to convince him why he should hire you and that you are committed to this trade. You have to shop around for different shop's in order to find the right employer. I'm in the auto body trade so i hope this helps you out. Be prepared to be the bitch in the shop and also washing alot of cars, trust me it pays off.

WiltonKillz
01-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Thank you for your advise,
ill print up some cover letter send them out and look around for my self,
I have a good feeling that if i work hard and well be the bitch lol
this will pay off i just need the chance to show a shop im very willing

MrSector9
01-15-2008, 07:59 PM
don't send off letters...

i work in a shop and have been around shop style enviroments all my life...

walk in to the place with a resume and ask to speak to the manager of the shop (not necessarily thebusiness) and jus chat it up with him, be honest about what you want to do with your career.

If you are around these things you know within the first 5 minutes if the guy is going to work out or not :)

TomcoPDR
01-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by pinoyformula
Be prepared to be the bitch in the shop and also washing alot of cars, trust me it pays off.

Not in all cases, then you get picked on all the time. And end up sick and tired of the crap and end up being a wanna-be bodyman = dent guy. Like people telling you ask the manager to order a muffler bearing (got the term working at a bodyshop)

Originally posted by MrSector9
don't send off letters...

i work in a shop and have been around shop style enviroments all my life...

walk in to the place with a resume and ask to speak to the manager of the shop (not necessarily thebusiness) and jus chat it up with him, be honest about what you want to do with your career.

If you are around these things you know within the first 5 minutes if the guy is going to work out or not :)

:werd: exactly, just walk in with resume, talk with manager/foreman about your willingness to learn and earn. Either they'll say yes or no. If they need people, they'll hire you and stick you doing something (even bitch-boy, but you still learn a lot); if you don't like it just make up an excuse of going back to school; and then apply at another bodyshop.

Good luck

WiltonKillz
01-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks !

SkittleFreak
01-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Sait's website:
Auto Body Technician Pre-employment (Repairer)

This 18-week program is designed to assist students without previous Auto Body experience who are wishing to enter the Auto Body trade. The Pre-employment Auto Body Technician program covers an expanded version of the first and second period apprenticeship training. Students will receive extensive hands-on and theoretical training related to the Auto Body industry. Upon successful completion, students may challenge the First and Second Period Alberta Apprenticeship Examinations.

for pre employment, would this mean my first and second year would be done if i passed?

pinoyformula
01-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by SkittleFreak

for pre employment, would this mean my first and second year would be done if i passed?

you only get your 1st year written completed and you still have to complete 1800hrs of on the job work

SkittleFreak
01-16-2008, 07:30 PM
so whats this all about challenging first AND second period..?

pinoyformula
01-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by SkittleFreak
so whats this all about challenging first AND second period..?

That's only the written part. Auto body trade is a 4yr course, each year you are required to go to school but if you feel confident that you don't have to go to school than you can challenge the examination. I suggest if you have more questions about auto body contact Bill Nyrod, he is the head of alberta apprentice board. You can find his number by contacting Sait.

SkittleFreak
01-16-2008, 08:04 PM
so ifi challenged the 2nd year test...then i just have to work enough hours and i don't have to worry about going back till the 3rd year?

MrSector9
01-16-2008, 08:21 PM
correct.

have to challenge both first and second year, i am sure that is what you meant but just to clarify..

then you need the correct amount of hours and your book gets stamped that you are second year.

then you move on to 3rd year.

SkittleFreak
01-16-2008, 08:25 PM
so wouldi have a better chance of getting the job if i did both tests and passed..? or s hould i just work and do regular without preemployment?

Sophal
01-16-2008, 09:10 PM
if you are in highschool the RAP program might be some benifit to you.

SkittleFreak
01-16-2008, 09:16 PM
i'm out of school trying to figure out what to do with my life. lol
i love cars so i'm trying to get into automotive something?

Kloubek
01-17-2008, 01:43 PM
I was just in Low Cost Autobody on Edmonton Trail, and they said that they are having difficulty finding workers...

WiltonKillz
01-17-2008, 07:24 PM
I think i might stop by there ! at low cost see if they need me for somt bitch work on weekends for now and what not =p

pinoyformula
01-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by WiltonKillz
I think i might stop by there ! at low cost see if they need me for somt bitch work on weekends for now and what not =p

I use to work at Low Cost, there not open on the weekends. Only mon-fri 8-5