PDA

View Full Version : Iphone Vs HTC

dj_rice
01-15-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm in the market for a new PDA/Pocket PC type cell

Undecided between Iphone vs HTC 8525/8925/TyTN II

Is the Iphone overrated?I've seen a couple vids on Youtube of an HTC with Iphone software on it and the HTC in comparison is cheaper

Pros/Cons on both

dizzle
01-15-2008, 08:33 PM
iphone is everything you need.
BUT everyone has it, whatever though.

Xtrema
01-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Iphone:

Pro: Good UI, 8GB out of the box, cool looking and plays well with a huge senstive touch screen.

Con: Doesn't work in ANY corporate environment. No 3rd party apps.

HTC

Pro: Works well with Windows/Exchange, real keyboard, 3rd party app, tons of add-ons.

Con: Bulky, small screen, Windows Mobile.

GoChris
01-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

HTC

Pro: Works well with Windows/Exchange, real keyboard, 3rd party app, tons of add-ons.

Con: Bulky, small screen, Windows Mobile.

get a touch, its not bulky at all. but the rogers version is a bit slow. window mobile is hardly a con, I have a cdma touch, I have no problems, it doesnt lock up, I have instant sync of my email, contacts, notes etc through exchange. I have rss news readers, backup programs, its awesome. all stuff you can't do on an iphone.

if you dont care about any of that, then the iphone is probably faster/better for pics/vids and well a phone.

szw
01-15-2008, 09:13 PM
How much are the HTC phones (no contract)?

VWEvo
01-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Iphone>HTC

I have the Iphone, played with HTC, no comparison!!!

dj_rice
01-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by GoChris

get a touch, its not bulky at all. but the rogers version is a bit slow. window mobile is hardly a con, I have a cdma touch, I have no problems, it doesnt lock up, I have instant sync of my email, contacts, notes etc through exchange. I have rss news readers, backup programs, its awesome. all stuff you can't do on an iphone.

if you dont care about any of that, then the iphone is probably faster/better for pics/vids and well a phone.

I dont like the Touch being it uses a really slow processor

Originally posted by VWEvo
Iphone>HTC

I have the Iphone, played with HTC, no comparison!!!

Why though?Because you say the Iphone pwns must mean it is 1337?

GoChris
01-15-2008, 11:00 PM
ya, unfortunately the gsm touch is slow. I have the cdma and its 2x as fast with double the ram. you can get unlimited data on the touch with bell/telus on a fast data network than rogers. but...switching might not be what you want to do

yellowsnow
01-16-2008, 01:55 AM
the iphone is much more user friendly. browsing webpages, files, photos is much easier than the HTC touch. the iphone is much more responsive than the HTC touch. i played with my coworkers' and the touch was slow as hell.

two finger scrolling, zooming, flipping... makes the iphone much easier and clear to use.

the htc touch sucks at text messaging, you need to use the stylus. the iphone you can use your fingers, but it takes a bit to get use to.

Mr_John
01-16-2008, 02:04 AM
You can get the new Touch Dual which is basically a Touch with a sliding keyboard/dial pad. It has double the RAM and double the processor speed.

If you do go the route of TyTN II then you can also use its interal GPS system.

I've played with the iphone many times and liked it. The TyTN II can do anything the iphone can do and MORE with its 3rd party apps which can easily be found on xda-developers and howardforums.

It really depends on what you want in a cell phone though because the iphone is also a very cool phone.

edit: The AT&T Tilt/8925 is the same phone as the HTC TyTN II/Kaiser except that the AT&T phone has no front camera however there is still the main rear camera. The AT&T is obviously also AT&T branded but it can be unlocked. The HTC branded TyTN II however costs much more than the AT&T.

edit edit: if you want the 8525 then I have a friend that is selling his. The 8525 is also a great phone which is as customizable as the 8925.

pf0sh0
01-16-2008, 02:15 AM
My buddy has Iphone and my other buddy has an HTC, played with them both, and they are both awesome phones, except Iphone looks better :D

rawsensation
01-16-2008, 02:21 AM
Iphone, between the 2 but i'm a SE fan if your with rogers or fido give the p1 a check

Xtrema
01-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Mr_John
You can get the new Touch Dual which is basically a Touch with a sliding keyboard/dial pad. It has double the RAM and double the processor speed.

Touch is slow and has no keyboard. Touch Dual is probably going to be my next phone. Comes with a slide out 20 or 26 key keyboard which I prefer over any on-screen input methods, Iphone or WM.

And if people with WM like the Iphone interface, there's this beta UI:

http://www.pointui.com/Home.aspx

It's free and quite good. Not everything is working though.

SpoonEK9@STRD
01-16-2008, 11:21 AM
tons of apps available for iphone? wicked for music, YouTube and web browsing, probably the best for web browsing.

multitap screen, acelerometer. Multitap touch screen vs a relic touch screen.

Brendan_4g63
01-16-2008, 11:44 AM
SDK for the iphone will be out soon, should have any app you like after a while.

Try typing on an HTC, gotta use a stylus or alter the GUI to type with fingers.
Windows mobile although it has been around for ever, still is really ugly and has memory management issues.

crazedmodder
01-16-2008, 01:32 PM
HTC TyTN II, damn choc full of features. I was looking for a new phone and that's the one I wanted, but decided to wait and see if they come out with the Omni :D I wanted to have touchscreen / keyboard (have one on my phone now and I wouldn't be able to live without it) / GPS / Wi-Fi / BT2.0 and it was the only one that really fit the bill.

Mr_John
01-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Brendan_4g63

Try typing on an HTC, gotta use a stylus or alter the GUI to type with fingers.
Windows mobile although it has been around for ever, still is really ugly and has memory management issues.

Agreed. Typing on any HTC touchscreen is a nightmare and is terrible unless altered. But I guess thats why there is the TyTN and TyTN II for the people who text a lot.

Forgot to mention that iphone has the 4gb and 8gb. You'll need to buy a microSD card for the HTC for sure. Not a big issue but something to mention.

Strider
01-16-2008, 01:59 PM
All comes down to what you're going to use it for...
If you plan on using it for media & surfing, get the iphone... it's a much better toy.

If you're planning on using it in a business environment... ie. email/text, get the Tytn II... can't beat having a real keyboard, and it has MS exchange compatibility.

The HTC is far ahead for now in terms of 3rd party apps, since it runs WM6... but with the sdk for iphone coming out soon, you can bet the iphone will catch up.

dj_rice
01-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Strider
All comes down to what you're going to use it for...
If you plan on using it for media & surfing, get the iphone... it's a much better toy.

If you're planning on using it in a business environment... ie. email/text, get the Tytn II... can't beat having a real keyboard, and it has MS exchange compatibility.

The HTC is far ahead for now in terms of 3rd party apps, since it runs WM6... but with the sdk for iphone coming out soon, you can bet the iphone will catch up.

Well, I'll be using it mainly for GPS/Navi purposes along with the occasional Wi-Fi , and reason I'm leaning more towards the HTC is cuz of the flip out keyboard, along with the pricing and availibility...also I'm currently using a Razr, so this upgrade will be the last cell phone I'm ever gonna buy so I would like something that can still hold its own in terms of technology a few years later

Also I've been searching around on EBay lots and seen tons of HTC's loaded with the Iphone interface software, also some loaded with the HTC TouchFlo software, looks pretty cool

GoChris
01-16-2008, 07:48 PM
lol @ those saying typing on an htc screen is horrid. wheres the physical keyboard on the ipod? that's right, both touchscreen, both have onscreen keyboards that do not require the use of a stylus. I almost never ever use my stylus and can type just as fast as I could when I had a hard keyboard.

Mr_John
01-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Well, I'll be using it mainly for GPS/Navi purposes along with the occasional Wi-Fi , and reason I'm leaning more towards the HTC is cuz of the flip out keyboard, along with the pricing and availibility...also I'm currently using a Razr, so this upgrade will be the last cell phone I'm ever gonna buy so I would like something that can still hold its own in terms of technology a few years later

The GPS is amazing with TomTom Navi. It works well and has great signal. You'll for sure have to buy at least a 2gb microSD card if you want TomTom though because it uses about a whole gb of space to itself. The maps are huge.

dj_rice
01-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Mr_John

The GPS is amazing with TomTom Navi. It works well and has great signal. You'll for sure have to buy at least a 2gb microSD card if you want TomTom though because it uses about a whole gb of space to itself. The maps are huge.

So how much is your friend selling the 8525 for?Pm SENT

szw
01-16-2008, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by GoChris
I almost never ever use my stylus and can type just as fast as I could when I had a hard keyboard.

Out of the box or did you have to modify the keyboard input?

GoChris
01-17-2008, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by szw

Out of the box or did you have to modify the keyboard input?

with the htc touch, out of the box. I'm using the touch keyboard it came with. but otherwise just use the one from http://cootek.com its wicked.

dj_rice
01-20-2008, 04:48 PM
So I decided on the HTC 8925 Tilt, didnt wanna go with the HTC TYTN II because its much more expensive and has that front camera, and with my understanding to use that front camera calling function, the other person has to have a phone that can be able to reserve video calls so no point...

But yeah bought one brand new off Ebay for a nice chunk of change...:bigpimp:

Daan
01-20-2008, 05:03 PM
iphone is more : pleasant estaethically, user friendly, tactile responsive and text messaging perfect. the problem with it : no corporate interation

touch is more : corporate integrated, 3rd apps friendly, easy to email contacts notes exchange sync. the problem with it : slow processor

depends which features you value : aestetics and functionality. at this time the sdk for iphone is not out so no 3rd apps; in a few months it will be released and then iphone will be a more attractive package

dj_rice
01-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Daan
iphone is more : pleasant estaethically, user friendly, tactile responsive and text messaging perfect. the problem with it : no corporate interation

touch is more : corporate integrated, 3rd apps friendly, easy to email contacts notes exchange sync. the problem with it : slow processor

depends which features you value : aestetics and functionality. at this time the sdk for iphone is not out so no 3rd apps; in a few months it will be released and then iphone will be a more attractive package

I dont know why everyone keeps including the Touch into this...I never wanted a Touch or was one of the options to begin with

HTC 8925 Pwns the Touch

kevinkor99
04-23-2008, 05:58 AM
Actually. Apple's gonna release a new firmware 2.0 which has the app shop for you to purchase third party apps or created apps by Apple. There is also an option to jailbreak the iPhone so you can play games on it and etc. on the 2.0 update it's going to have push email and microsoft exchange but i would wait till like summer cause that's when the 3g iPhone's gonnna come out. Possibly GPS too with the new intel mobile chip that uses less power so your phone's battery life will last longer.

ryeguy252
04-23-2008, 07:42 AM
same price for the 3G iphone? cause then I would wait.

tha_bandit
04-23-2008, 09:44 PM
wait for the iphone! only a month and a half away, has push/exchange support + maybe new features, and appstorw/new firmware will enable a huge change in apps (ie major companies at the moment do not want to get their apps on the iphone through the jailbreak/hack method). lots of new apps will surface after apple opens up the firmware (via SDK) to developers,etc.

bigbadboss101
04-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Microsoft Exchange on an Apple?

I use Safari to get my mail rather than the email system because I don't want to delete the mail off the yahoo or shaw server. Any idea how I can leave copy on the servers? Eg. I believe one of MS Outlook or Exchange has the option to leave copy on server while the other do not.