PDA

View Full Version : Any ECON 475 experience?

RX_EVOLV
01-15-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm upgrading my GPA @ UC right now, and ECON475 looks very interesting (Economic of natural resources). But i went to the first lecture today and the prof (Dr. Boyces) said it is going to be really hard, and the cut off for a A- is 90%.. which means if I screw up on 1 midterm ( ~70% ) but get 100% on both midterm 2 and final i would still end up with a B+..

wondering if anyone took that course and if it really is that hard?? or something like If i can do the posted weekly questions i should be able to get an A- easy??

thanks

canadian_hustla
01-16-2008, 12:33 AM
it is super hard man. Be ready for economics mixed with higher level calculus. Dr Boyce is a real smart guy - he sets the bar very high - and takes no prisoners. I don't think anyone passed his final. I remember the first day of being in that class, there was something like 40 students that had attended. The class after that 14 had dropped out. Looking back, I think it was by far the hardest class I have ever taken.

If you can get through it, it is quite interesting to learn about rates of harvest, birth/death rates, etc etc.

good luck

Skyline_Addict
01-16-2008, 01:30 AM
just sent you a PM EVO, if you're looking for another Econ 400 level course to replace this one.

sk8r3124
01-16-2008, 12:07 PM
I would take the Profs word for it.
in my last year of Econ i found that if any of my 400 level econ profs said that students will have trouble with the course, they are telling the truth. If you have made it to 4th year, chances are your past all of those courses that weed out the students that shouldn't be there.