PDA

View Full Version : textile, or leather?

94CoRd
07-25-2003, 04:52 PM
what are the pro's and cons of say a leather jacket compared to a texture jacket

ramminghard
07-25-2003, 06:58 PM
con's=really hot, not as flexible

pro's=incredible protection, comfortable, look cool!

dogstar
07-26-2003, 03:27 AM
ballistic.... or kevlar all the way.

lighter, more comfy, cheaper (usually), cooler, way better protection from kevlar and most of the armored ballistics.

also, the looks are debatable... if you buy an old skool distressed leather indiana jones jacket, and your riding a sport bike, your gonna look like a tard.

i figure if im gonna ride a top of the line, high tech sports machine, i better wear a high tech, sharp looking modern jacket... but thats just me.

Murph
07-26-2003, 04:00 AM
I have always been told go leather. With a textile jacket when u fall it bites in and makes you tumble and roll possibley breaking more bones. Where as the leather will make you slide.

Best advice i say, Find out whats in your price range and go try it on. find out what one you like best.

dogstar
07-26-2003, 05:12 AM
hmm, depends on the textile... kevlar wont bite, and quite a few of the new jackets ive looked at are treated with teflon.
lol, youll slide like goose shit on glass if you lay down in one of those.

sliding is ok, to a point, you want to slow down enough that you can control your movement.
after all, if you panic stop and drop coming towards a busy intesection, would you really want to slide right under a car?

ive worn both, and ive dropped wearing both, although the drop with textile was when i was barely moving on gravel... we wont talk about that one ;)

the drop with leather was a bad one, i laid it down coming into a corner waaaay too fast, and ended up sliding on my ass, burning it severely with heat soaking through the leathers.
ended up sliding into a concrete barrier without my bike, probably was still moving at 50kph...
my hip still doesnt work quite right, and hence im a little anti leather, but who knows, i mighta still gotten hurt if i were wearing textile

RiCE-DaDDy
07-26-2003, 03:58 PM
leather is still the best for abrasion resistance. there's a reason why racing suits are still leather.

in a test, leather lasted 80ft, textile lasted bout 40ft, and denim a awesome 5ft!!

ill try to find that test.

ecstasy_civic
07-26-2003, 04:16 PM
id like to see that cause i was going to ask the same question lol.

i like the look of textile but a friend says its way hotter and when its this hot as it has been, id wonder if leather is better?? plus when the whole sliding thing comes up i really wonder.

RiCE-DaDDy
07-26-2003, 04:22 PM
textile is the compromise but most versatile.

they can be waterproof, have better venting (usually), can be used in many types of weather with the ability to wear clothes underneath and the inclusion of removable liners, more pockets, more flexible in size.

protection is a step behind leathers tho.

there will be one day were textile replaces leather but leather will still have a market cause they look cool!!!