PDA

View Full Version : Apollo muffler... don't waste you time

benyl
07-25-2003, 05:16 PM
Cause they won't waste theirs.:thumbsdow

Unbelievable. I go in there to get an estimate 1 hour before they close and they don't give me the time of day.

The guy at the front doesn't even say hello... he says:" We are booking into Monday."

I said: "All I am looking for is an estimate." He says: "We are booking into monday, my guys are busy." I say: "can you just come out and take a look, it will only take a minute?" He says: "No sorry can't do that." I say: "Ok then." and I left. :banghead:

I guess that they are so busy that my money is no good to them. Fine, I will just take my hard earned cash elsewhere and they can kiss my white hairy ass.

kaput
07-25-2003, 05:40 PM
Location?

benyl
07-25-2003, 06:19 PM
37th and 17th SW

BebeAphrodite
07-25-2003, 06:24 PM
some ppl r just dicks like that

James
07-26-2003, 02:38 AM
Go to "fast muffler man and Rapid Brake Centres" at 110 61st Ave .S.E. right by the chinook LRT..... great customer service, and you'll have a hard time finidng a better price, Rod is the man :thumbsup:

benyl
07-26-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by James
Go to "fast muffler man and Rapid Brake Centres" at 110 61st Ave .S.E. right by the chinook LRT..... great customer service, and you'll have a hard time finidng a better price, Rod is the man :thumbsup:

less than carline... plus cash deal... I like it.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jennyanniemary
07-26-2003, 10:52 PM
maybe he meant he will give u a estimate monday, like serious no one wants to work the last hour of the day anyway, and ya they proably dont need you money either too, its serious no fun putting after market muffler on to a car when the inlet dia. is like way bigger then the stock and stainless dont weld nicely, i wouldnt take your businese if i owned a shop

Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
some ppl r just dicks like that

jdmakkord
07-26-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by jennyanniemary
maybe he meant he will give u a estimate monday, like serious no one wants to work the last hour of the day anyway, and ya they proably dont need you money either too, its serious no fun putting after market muffler on to a car when the inlet dia. is like way bigger then the stock and stainless dont weld nicely, i wouldnt take your businese if i owned a shop

:rolleyes:

benyl
07-26-2003, 11:49 PM

:thumbsup:

It was quite obvious the guy wasn't the owner of the shop. I can almost guarantee that if I spoke to the owner, he would have given me an estimate.

It is also quite obvious that you have never owned your own business. What you said up there would put you out of business fast. Any person who owns their own business will tell you that they will bend over backwards for a customer. They will stay after hours if necessary. People who work for $10/hour don't understand that... that is why they make $10/hour.

jennyanniemary
07-27-2003, 03:46 AM
haha
hmm do u work for or run or own a shop?
i guess when u make enough then u dont have to take every little job, u get to pick, only the ones that are desperate does everything for anything, those are the ones that are screwing the trade, if only we can set some rules or some org

Originally posted by benyl

It was quite obvious the guy wasn't the owner of the shop. I can almost guarantee that if I spoke to the owner, he would have given me an estimate.

It is also quite obvious that you have never owned your own business. What you said up there would put you out of business fast. Any person who owns their own business will tell you that they will bend over backwards for a customer. They will stay after hours if necessary. People who work for $10/hour don't understand that... that is why they make $10/hour.

Weapon_R
07-27-2003, 05:48 AM
haha
hmm do u work for or run or own a shop?
i guess when u make enough then u dont have to take every little job, u get to pick, only the ones that are desperate does everything for anything, those are the ones that are screwing the trade, if only we can set some rules or some org

There is no shop that can pick and choose anywhere in this country that didn't have to take the little jobs.

Maxt
07-27-2003, 09:41 AM
I guess I have to ask , what if the shoe was on the other foot..
What if you were one of the people waiting for their cars hoping to get it back before they close for the day, and they knock a car off the hoist to give you a "free estimate"... I don't know to many muffler men that will give an estimate without looking at the whole system.. I'd bet one of the waiting customers would be willing to insert their shoe somewhere in your body..
Walk a mile in that guys shoes, and I'd bet your outlook would change a bit...
Its not that some people just don't want your money, or aren't willing to do a good job, but sometimes you have to deal with the business that is already in the shop and take into consideration the time constraints of your staff.. If he is fully booked and pressed for time, and they take time to look at your car, then you decide its to much money and drive away, thats time taken from customers that are willing to pay his price..
In this economy, there are alot of people who don't ask for price estimates, and just want it done, remember that..Maxt

Abom
07-27-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
I guess I have to ask , what if the shoe was on the other foot..
What if you were one of the people waiting for their cars hoping to get it back before they close for the day, and they knock a car off the hoist to give you a "free estimate"... I don't know to many muffler men that will give an estimate without looking at the whole system.. I'd bet one of the waiting customers would be willing to insert their shoe somewhere in your body..
Walk a mile in that guys shoes, and I'd bet your outlook would change a bit...
Its not that some people just don't want your money, or aren't willing to do a good job, but sometimes you have to deal with the business that is already in the shop and take into consideration the time constraints of your staff.. If he is fully booked and pressed for time, and they take time to look at your car, then you decide its to much money and drive away, thats time taken from customers that are willing to pay his price..
In this economy, there are alot of people who don't ask for price estimates, and just want it done, remember that..Maxt

Yeah, that made a lot of sense :rolleyes: The guy didn't have to be rude about it tho, basically telling benyl to fuck off.

No business should "choose" their customers. Unless you're a make/model specific company, you should work on any and every car. I take for example Impressions Auto, who only seem to want to work on Hondas. When people ask me about them, I tell them the truth about my personal experiences, as well as friend's. Usually after I'm done, people are quite sure they won't be going there anytime soon.

rx7_turbo2
07-27-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Abom

Yeah, that made a lot of sense :rolleyes: The guy didn't have to be rude about it tho, basically telling benyl to fuck off.

No business should "choose" their customers. Unless you're a make/model specific company, you should work on any and every car. I take for example Impressions Auto, who only seem to want to work on Hondas. When people ask me about them, I tell them the truth about my personal experiences, as well as friend's. Usually after I'm done, people are quite sure they won't be going there anytime soon.

What are you talking about? What was rude. He said he and his guy's are busy and that they are booking for monday. I'm not sure what part of that was rude or what part of it Benyl didnt understand but...

Sometimes shops are busy. And giving a free estimate is low on the priority list when you have paying customers cars to finish before day's end. You need to start living int he "real" world Abom.

Abom
07-27-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
What are you talking about? What was rude. He said he and his guy's are busy and that they are booking for monday. I'm not sure what part of that was rude or what part of it Benyl didnt understand but...

Sometimes shops are busy. And giving a free estimate is low on the priority list when you have paying customers cars to finish before day's end. You need to start living int he "real" world Abom.

He could have offered an alternative, explained things better, whatever. The key is communication. Saying "no, I can't do an estimate, bye" isn't the way to go about it.

Maxt
07-27-2003, 03:32 PM

He could have offered an alternative, explained things better, whatever. The key is communication. Saying "no, I can't do an estimate, bye" isn't the way to go about it.

Umm, let see, he said monday is better, they can't do it now... How much clearer can that be put...I don't think it can be put any clearer... Even Helen Keller could grasp that one...Maxt

Abom
07-27-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
Umm, let see, he said monday is better, they can't do it now... How much clearer can that be put...I don't think it can be put any clearer... Even Helen Keller could grasp that one...Maxt

No he didn't. He said they are BOOKING into Monday. He didn't want a booking, he wanted an estimate. Read the post before you quote wrong.

rx7_turbo2
07-27-2003, 04:09 PM

No he didn't. He said they are BOOKING into Monday. He didn't want a booking, he wanted an estimate. Read the post before you quote wrong.

Ya, book the car in to have an estimate, this isnt rocket science you moron.

Maxt
07-27-2003, 04:12 PM
What do you from the guy a pat on the head and owl face eraser for not ? Your semantics are not going to save you from your idiocy unfortunatley..Maxt

max_boost
07-27-2003, 04:17 PM
Friday
1 hour before closing

An estimate for what? What is it that was so important that you couldn't wait till Monday to get the car on the lift for a proper estimate? What if they did quote you and booked you in, only to find out that they missed something and now have to charge you extra? Next thing you know, you will be bitching again.

jennyanniemary
07-27-2003, 04:24 PM
i think this is the first thred that go twisted around, it start off everyone saying the shop is not nice for not give him est, and ends up the shop is cool just cant do it thats all, hehe, seriously some of you guys are so right, just going out side to look at the car aint enuogh to give u a proper est, and u be mad if the bill come up high then expected cuz he couldnt tell u something cuz the car wasnt racked up and looked at more carfully, poor ppl shop always be like "what is the less i can get it done for i need a est first" and for not poor ppl shop its like"when can u get it done by, and thats it", a funny firend once said if you need a quote or a est then u cant afford it, jokingly, iguess the guy that made this tread could have been more clear abotu the guys expression and how the guy worded it

Dr. Lightspeed
07-27-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by benyl

a)Ahh you are wrong on Friday one hour before closing everybody is trying to get away for the weekend.

b) Anybody who shows up one hour before closing is not serious about having work done but wants to get an estimate before they go for a beer.

c) Estimates waste your time. Estimates are given when the car is on the hoist and there is time to do the work other wise cheap pricks take your estimate and your techs time at $25.00 to 35 dollars an hour and go to the next shop and say SHOP A will do it for me for this much will you beat them. My answer is always go to them. I do not have time for price beaters and nor do good shops.

d) installing an aftermarket stainless muffler can be a pain. They seldom line up nice the guy never likes what you do then he bottoms out his little bomb while backing out of a driveway folds his muffler comes back to you then goes all over the city badmouthing you.

e) I would hope my service writer would get rid of pain in the butt work.

f) obviously you never owned a good shop notice I said good shop because if you had you would know that chasing every little dime that comes your way will put you in the poor house. We have the highest labour rate in our city and if I hear of an independant shop that is higher we will push our labour rate past theirs. We get rid of the crap jobs by quoting ourselves out of range or telling them to take it to Canadian Tire.

g) I work for a heck of lot more than $10 dollars an hour I own the place.

h) working over time to pay a tech time and half for an estimate get real come back when you have money to spend opr don't waste my time. Let me ask you this how would you like your boss to keep you after hours to look at some idiots car then he says yea ok thanx man. We have lives away from our business. Our business works for us not the other way.

i) Why do you people waste pro's time when you are not serious or just tire kicking.

j) we are good we know we are good and don't need to chase pion jobs.

k) I have ran a successful business since 1994.

l) People will push you around if they can. Heck people would have me working to midnight all the time if they could( like I did at the begginning )

You guys need to get a grip on reality. Shops don't need your crap work. Now if you were a client that has spent alot of money with me before well then that is a different situation. I will bend over backwards for a client but not a shopper looking for an estimate one hour before closing.

Oh you are also wrong WE DO choose our customers and if you don't have the right attitude ,car or signs of money I don't need to waste my time on you. If that makes me a jerk oh well we are good we know it and if you want it done by us you will fit this category. This is business not a charity. How would you like it if you didn;t get paid for half of the time you went to your job. Me either.

kevie88
07-27-2003, 10:07 PM
You should count your lucky stars that you ddn't get any work done there.. Those guys hacked up my shiz so bad it's rediculous. I can't believe someone would do that shitty a job and still feel good about it.

jennyanniemary
07-27-2003, 10:15 PM
i agree with everything u said, some of it i said already, i say we should ignor ppl like that, keep the industry good

Originally posted by Dr. Lightspeed

a)Ahh you are wrong on Friday one hour before closing everybody is trying to get away for the weekend.

b) Anybody who shows up one hour before closing is not serious about having work done but wants to get an estimate before they go for a beer.

c) Estimates waste your time. Estimates are given when the car is on the hoist and there is time to do the work other wise cheap pricks take your estimate and your techs time at $25.00 to 35 dollars an hour and go to the next shop and say SHOP A will do it for me for this much will you beat them. My answer is always go to them. I do not have time for price beaters and nor do good shops.

d) installing an aftermarket stainless muffler can be a pain. They seldom line up nice the guy never likes what you do then he bottoms out his little bomb while backing out of a driveway folds his muffler comes back to you then goes all over the city badmouthing you.

e) I would hope my service writer would get rid of pain in the butt work.

f) obviously you never owned a good shop notice I said good shop because if you had you would know that chasing every little dime that comes your way will put you in the poor house. We have the highest labour rate in our city and if I hear of an independant shop that is higher we will push our labour rate past theirs. We get rid of the crap jobs by quoting ourselves out of range or telling them to take it to Canadian Tire.

g) I work for a heck of lot more than $10 dollars an hour I own the place.

h) working over time to pay a tech time and half for an estimate get real come back when you have money to spend opr don't waste my time. Let me ask you this how would you like your boss to keep you after hours to look at some idiots car then he says yea ok thanx man. We have lives away from our business. Our business works for us not the other way.

i) Why do you people waste pro's time when you are not serious or just tire kicking.

j) we are good we know we are good and don't need to chase pion jobs.

k) I have ran a successful business since 1994.

l) People will push you around if they can. Heck people would have me working to midnight all the time if they could( like I did at the begginning )

You guys need to get a grip on reality. Shops don't need your crap work. Now if you were a client that has spent alot of money with me before well then that is a different situation. I will bend over backwards for a client but not a shopper looking for an estimate one hour before closing.

Oh you are also wrong WE DO choose our customers and if you don't have the right attitude ,car or signs of money I don't need to waste my time on you. If that makes me a jerk oh well we are good we know it and if you want it done by us you will fit this category. This is business not a charity. How would you like it if you didn;t get paid for half of the time you went to your job. Me either.

Dr. Lightspeed
07-27-2003, 10:19 PM
Yup it is all true just summed it up I got no time for tire kickers.

BigMass
07-27-2003, 10:28 PM
remind me never to come to your shop. What if times get really bad and instead of customers chasing you, you will be chasing customers. Then you will be sucking their dick for every little POS job you can get. But they wont give you their business or time of day because you acted like a stuck up elitist bastard when business was good and booming. It doesn’t cost time and money to be nice and courteous to people remember that. That shop should of taking 1 min and explained that to do a quality estimate they would have to hoist the car up and take a look, which they unfortunately don’t have time to do currently and to come back Monday when they could better server you. I think you have a very poor attitude, which is going to come back and hurt you.

Dr. Lightspeed
07-27-2003, 10:36 PM
By the fact he came here ranting I suspect he never even gave them a chance to. Lot of attitude in that first post.

Dr. Lightspeed
07-27-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
. I think you have a very poor attitude, which is going to come back and hurt you.

Work for free lots and see what happens you get tires of people who think you should kiss their butt. Times are hurting independants are going out of business weekly because they chase this crap work.

Redlyne_mr2
07-27-2003, 10:45 PM
Do you know how many times a day shops have to deal with 16 year olds coming in for price quotes on parts theyll never buy for their rides that they'll never build. No disrespect to benyl, they coudl have been more courteous but Im sure theyve experienced situations like that 10 dozen times before and are now just tired of it. I worked at Dr. Lightspeeds shop for only 3 months and I got tired of all the lowballer who'd waste our time with quotes and freeby work

BigMass
07-27-2003, 10:46 PM
installing a SS exhaust is crap work? what else is an exhaust shop supposed to do? Most exhaust shops can't even make custome SS exhaust because they dont have mandrel pipe benders so customers buy the pre fabed Greddy or HKS which is made to fit the car, and take them to a shop. I guess i didnt realise doing that kind of stuff is crappy work. I know that dealing with anoying customers probably gets really really old after a while so i can understand where you're comming from.

BigMass
07-27-2003, 10:50 PM
Do you know how many times a day shops have to deal with 16 year olds coming in for price quotes on parts theyll never buy for their rides that they'll never build. No disrespect to benyl, they coudl have been more courteous but Im sure theyve experienced situations like that 10 dozen times before and are now just tired of it

I definately see how that would get frustrating, but it's something you should definately expect when getting into the service industry. The number one problem is the people, but they are also your customers. I would get sick of that too, im not pretending that i'm any better.

Dr. Lightspeed
07-27-2003, 10:51 PM
installing a SS exhaust is crap work? what else is an exhaust shop supposed to do? Most exhaust shops can't even make custome SS exhaust because they dont have mandrel pipe benders so customers buy the pre fabed Greddy or HKS which is made to fit the car, and take them to a shop. I guess i didnt realise doing that kind of stuff is crappy work. I know that dealing with anoying customers probably gets really really old after a while so i can understand where you're comming from.

Do you have any idea how much a mandrel bender is. Now exhaust shops need to have one of these to satisfy you guys get real. Man you guys need to get a grip of what reality is.

BigMass
07-27-2003, 10:54 PM
exhaust shops need to have one of these to satisfy you guys get real.

NO! i was explaining the reason why people by the pre fabbed SS mandrel bent exhaust off the internet. These very same people probably cannot install these exhaust themselves and take them to a shop like yours. But you call that crappy work?

Dr. Lightspeed
07-27-2003, 10:55 PM
SS also presents a problem when attaching it too. You really need a tig or you will get embrittlement and cause the weld to crack right out. So it is a big pain.

Dr. Lightspeed
07-27-2003, 10:56 PM
Installing a prefab exhaust is not crappy work attaching a ss muffler to a stock exhaust is. By the way I do not own an exhaust shop I own a tunr shop.

BigMass
07-27-2003, 11:37 PM
Installing a prefab exhaust is not crappy work attaching a ss muffler to a stock exhaust is

ok makes sense. Good luck with your shop.

Seanith
07-27-2003, 11:39 PM
Yeah if you have a full catback system it should be easy.. my muffler man did that right fast.. but i can see a problem with just the axle back and attaching that to a stock pipe.

Ebbsvette
07-28-2003, 02:38 AM
yea...the people should have been more curtious.....when i was getting my exhaust done a shop did the same thing to me....heh...so...i went to another shop and spent my 600$ at another place.....heh....and 600$ for an exhaust is a rip off, but i dont care, i pay premium prices to get treated correctly and the job done correctly....my mechanic charges 80$ an hour, but he is a certified master mechanic.......shops shouldnt be rude to someone that could be spending alot of money there......not good publicity

benyl
07-28-2003, 08:17 AM
Wow, I go away for a day and I have started a flame war.

The whole point of this post was not to start an argument. I was pissed off that a little peon treated me like shit and I posted about it.

FYI, I am not a little ricer. I am 27. I don't tire kick. I don't have time to waste tire kicking. I have a full time job. I have 2 businesses that some of you have probably patronised with a franchise on the way. I know what it is like to work hard. I know what it is like to run own my own business (and then some).

If my employees don't RESPECT my customers, they find another place to work.

I wasn't asking to get some ricer (or nice) stainless installed, I wanted some custom work. If I showed up 10-20 minutes before close, it wouldn't have bothered me. I showed up a full hour before close. If you are eager to get on with you weekend, post you closing hours earlier on Friday. If your sign says you are open till 5 pm on Friday, I expect to get service (within reason) at 4:55pm on Friday. If I asked this guy to sell me a flange, I bet he would have said: "We are booking into Monday."

BigMass
07-28-2003, 08:32 AM
sorry that happened to you benyl. I also have a full time job and dont have time to waste with assholes on the other end of the counter. I have precious little time as it is to be able to go out and take my car to a shop, but to get rejected like that is an insult. You're right, if they dont want to work then maybe they should put back their hours of opperation.

Dr. Lightspeed
07-28-2003, 09:21 AM
Of course we don't fully know what happened but I have been places where they have been dicks there is always two sides to the story also. Who knows could have been the guy was having a very bad day it happens to all of us. I was just hot about someone who said they knew our automotive business and how it should be done and how we should look after every small little job. One of the guys on here used to work for me before he moved to cowtown and he could tell you about the amount of time we wasted talkin to people.

benyl
07-28-2003, 09:58 AM
Dr. Lightspeed,

Agreed. I see the potential of all talk no cash. Heck this forum is filled with "What car should I buy next year when I have the cash?"

I guess what bothered me the most about the whole thing was that he didn't even ask what I wanted done. At least give me that courtesy.

B

rx7_turbo2
07-28-2003, 12:32 PM
remind me never to come to your shop. What if times get really bad and instead of customers chasing you, you will be chasing customers. Then you will be sucking their dick for every little POS job you can get.

Not true. Shops and business' of all kinds that do top quality work are ALWAYS in demand.

Now having not been there it is hard to make a real judgement. From the original post it seemed Benyl was being unreasonable, If he feels this is not the case then so be it. Lets face it some people are just dicks, the guy at this muffler shop just may have been one. It sounds like they don't do good work anyways so maybe you're better off not dealing with them.

B17a
07-28-2003, 12:37 PM
I'm with Benyl on this one, what's unreasonable? Coming into a shop during business hours and asking the guy to help you spend money there? If that's the service they provide I wouldn't spend a dime there, plus I'd phone up the owner and make sure he knows you're not spending a dime there nor will you ever because this guy was a dick. Having worked in a customer service oriented world for a few years I have very little patience for bad customer service.

Abom
07-28-2003, 01:02 PM
That shop should of taking 1 min and explained that to do a quality estimate they would have to hoist the car up and take a look, which they unfortunately don’t have time to do currently and to come back Monday when they could better server you. I think you have a very poor attitude, which is going to come back and hurt you.

My point EXACTLY. They should have been more kind and explained things. Even if they couldn't do an estimate at that moment, they didn't have to be dicks about it.

If a shop told me "no, can't do it now, booking into Monday" and said nothing else, I'd leave. If a shop explained how they do their estimates, and they couldn't do it now, but they could book me a time on Monday to do it, I'd be more inclined to book that appointment and come back. It's about customer service, not some one-lined rude bullshit.

Abom
07-28-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
Ya, book the car in to have an estimate, this isnt rocket science you moron.

He didn't say "for an estimate" you dumbass. READ THE POST before you reply. Fuck, some people are so stupid :banghead:

benyl
07-28-2003, 01:37 PM
haha, in before the lock!

I don't think I was being unreasonable. I wasn't even rude to the guy, I just left. Why is that being unreasonable? :dunno:

If he said, we don't have a free hoist right now for me to look at your car, I would have said: "Ok, when are you open next?"

Instead, I got attitude. I came on here to give you guys a buyer beware.

When Tony Tighe or whoever do their consumer watch on TV, do you guys all call him and tell him he was being unreasonable for being ripped off?

The whole point of this thread was to say:

If you go to Apollo Mufller on 37th and 17th and getting attitude and bad service... don't be surprised.