PDA

View Full Version : Getting an extension on a ticket?

nickopolis
07-25-2003, 05:51 PM
I haveto pay my speeding ticket pretty soon(160$) but i don't exactly have the money as i have spent it all on other things and am now broke. I'm wondering that if i go to court can i ask for an extension on the payment and if i don't pay it what will happen? just another fine? thanks

bol
07-25-2003, 06:11 PM
you can get an extension, just go down and see them

rage2
07-25-2003, 06:14 PM
First, ask for a RESERVE PLEA. Keep doing so until they won't let you anymore. Then, talk to the CP about reducing the ticket to a no demerit ticket, this will save you on insurance in the future. A $160 ticket seems pretty minor, should be able to knock it down to no demerits. Finally, ask for a payment plan for the ticket, time to pay or whatever. That'll stretch it out a bit longer too.

My record for time to pay was stretched to 1 year and 2 months after the ticket was issued. :)

Gotta be creative when you're broke hehe.

nickopolis
07-25-2003, 06:24 PM
Thanks Rage and Bol just one more question shoudl i go down and see them before my court date for the extension or on the date? i know someone who works at the court house so hopefully they can help me out a little too hehe

rage2
07-25-2003, 10:00 PM
See them on the day of the ticket, that way the extension is longer (starts from the day you show up).

Oh, when you say reserve plea tell them you're going to find a lawyer and u haven't decided who to go to yet..

Ben
07-25-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by rage2

My record for time to pay was stretched to 1 year and 2 months after the ticket was issued. :)

Personal best:

September 26 2001 to August 4 2003 ;)

Boostn
07-26-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by rage2
First, ask for a RESERVE PLEA. Keep doing so until they won't let you anymore. Then, talk to the CP about reducing the ticket to a no demerit ticket, this will save you on insurance in the future. A $160 ticket seems pretty minor, should be able to knock it down to no demerits. Finally, ask for a payment plan for the ticket, time to pay or whatever. That'll stretch it out a bit longer too.

Gotta be creative when you're broke hehe.

Good info, I'll have to try this next time as well... will they charge interest if you ask for a time extension? Also Is it really that easy to knock a ticket down to no demerits?? The last one I got was $153 and 4 demerits on my driving record...:dunno: I thought about using one of those ticket agencies but never ended up doing it.

rage2
07-26-2003, 06:13 PM
There's no interest charged when you're asking for extension... only interest is charged ($20 penalty or 20% whichever is greater) if you don't pay by the last day they tell you.