PDA

View Full Version : Insulin Spike with Dextrose

Gorilla
01-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Im trying to burn fat as much as possible so Iam reducing the amount of carbs I take in, especially at night. I work out in the evenings and have a post protein shake (right after) then about and hour later eat dinner.

Would adding dextrose (insulin spike) to my protein shake help or hinder my progress? Having high amount of carbs in the evening would that effect my fat loss?

What are your opinons on mixing Dextrose with protein

Darkane
01-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Good. You need the glycogen replacement right after a workout. Don't go overboard, depending on your carb tolerance I wouldn't do much more than about 40G of dex. Try to throw in some slow carbs too like 30g oats.

bulaian
01-16-2008, 04:31 PM
I would only recommend an insulin spike with dextrose immediately after workout, within the hour. At all times after, stick to slow, complex carbs or it will hinder your fat loss

EG STyLeZ
01-16-2008, 04:42 PM
I used to do a half and half mix of dextrose and maltodextrin but only in my post workout protein shake. i stopped taking it with my shakes because i felt it put me at a greater risk for diabetes.

like others have said, only add this quick of a carb in your post workout shake and not at any other time of day.

with the right amount of dextrose in your post workout shake, i believe the overall benefits would be worth it for you.

TVG
01-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Ya, 40g should be fine. Depends on how hard you workout of course.

There is a fair amount of debate over whether PWO shake should have carbs during maximum fat loss periods. I would say first, make sure your diet is perfect before losing the PWO carbs. If you eventually stall on the fat loss, then you can remove the PWO carbs.

Darkane
01-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by TVG
Ya, 40g should be fine. Depends on how hard you workout of course.

There is a fair amount of debate over whether PWO shake should have carbs during maximum fat loss periods. I would say first, make sure your diet is perfect before losing the PWO carbs. If you eventually stall on the fat loss, then you can remove the PWO carbs.

If you stall your thyroid is going into Hypothyrodism symptoms. Time to start eating again to reset it and then do another cut/recomp.

PWO are very important for retaining muscle during cutting

Impreza
01-16-2008, 07:16 PM
What is a good local (Calgary) source for dextrose? Do they sell it at popeyes?

imsick
01-16-2008, 07:59 PM
^
superstore sells it, 5 bucks for a tub

TVG
01-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

If you stall your thyroid is going into Hypothyrodism symptoms. Time to start eating again to reset it and then do another cut/recomp.

PWO are very important for retaining muscle during cutting

I know you read Poliquin man. Guess what his recommendation is? 0g for anyone over 10% bf.

Not saying that is necessarily true, as there is a much debate.