PDA

View Full Version : Review: Clover Field

Takahashi
01-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Sorry to say, but personally, this movie is absolute shit....

just got back from the screening before it was released and stayed maybe 45mins into the showing, the camera does NOT fucking stop shaking throughout the movie to the point people were getting sick, getting up and leaving the theatre....

as like ourselves, we couldnt stand the movie anymore, there's nothing special about it at all, here's the spoilers now, it's a monster attacking manhattan city, and it drops little monsters.... thats about it....

after leaving were now at home nursing the urge to throw up our popcorn and peanut butter cups aswell as downing a bottle of asprin, excuse my poor spelling, i'm that frusterated....

if you have motion sickness in the very least, bring a barf bag, if i had to rate this pathetic attempt at a movie it would barely score 2 out of 10, only because the monster cutting the statue's head off was semi-entertaining....

cant wait to see how many others agree with me....

:thumbsdow

cityhunter2501
01-16-2008, 09:10 PM
knew from the trailer alone that this was going to suck and was just a big marketing.

shame though, I wanted a new godzilla movie.

seems like its doing fairly well on imdb and rottentomatoes though
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1060277/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cloverfield/

but for now, I will not go watch it this weekend

Graham_A_M
01-16-2008, 09:28 PM
thank God for Torrent downloads LOL. I'll just watch it that way. No way in hell am I going to see this in theatres, or even hop in the car to rent it if its THAT awful. :dunno:

treg50
01-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Don't make Sesame Street sad.... it's one word: Cloverfield.

schocker
01-16-2008, 10:04 PM
fak, i was hoping it would at least be mildly decent but now i will pass on it.

dj_rice
01-16-2008, 10:11 PM
If I cant stomach playing Quake, then I'll pass on this movie too :thumbsdow

SilverRex
01-16-2008, 11:28 PM
isnt the movie like 1 hr and 25 min if it is, that is pretty darn cheapo.

Takahashi
01-16-2008, 11:52 PM
it's really that bad, people were literally walking out of the theatre 10mins into the movie it was so bad....

forgot to mention, the entire movie was filmed on a "handy-cam"....

Hakkola
01-17-2008, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Takahashi

forgot to mention, the entire movie was filmed on a "handy-cam"

No it wasn't, some parts were, they also used 60 pound cameras.

Takahashi
01-17-2008, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola

No it wasn't, some parts were, they also used 60 pound cameras.
i meant to simulate a "handy-cam", as if one of the characters were filming the entire film....

kind of like the blare-witch project....

01RedDX
01-17-2008, 12:10 AM

mark4091
01-17-2008, 12:14 AM
Wait....were the Taliban winning when you left?

arian_ma
01-17-2008, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
So Godzilla meets Blair Witch is not as good as it sounds huh?

Hahahahaha!

Takahashi
01-17-2008, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by mark4091
Wait....were the Taliban winning when you left?
huh?...

BerserkerCatSplat
01-17-2008, 12:21 AM
As I said before, it's the Blair Witch Monster Project.

oMeGastep
01-18-2008, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by treg50
Don't make Sesame Street sad.... it's one word: Cloverfield.

lol he prob saw the wrong movie.

3g4u
01-18-2008, 02:56 PM
I thought this movie was gonna suck from the wannabe "i am legend" type marketing gimmick, of not telling you anyhting about the movie at all leaving you wondering wtf is going on.:thumbsdow

Xtrema
01-18-2008, 05:24 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b148/PhredG/ThreadBomb/CloverfieldMonster.jpg

3g4u
01-18-2008, 05:41 PM
^:rofl:

old&slow
01-18-2008, 06:36 PM
The whole shaky camera thing is gone way to far...trying to substitute this bizzare camera crap for real filming and then calling it artistic!?:eek:

schocker
01-19-2008, 12:54 AM
I went to see it for something to do. It was all right, but after awhile, the shaky camera gets to you. story was kind of weird along with the monster, but overall it was an alright movie, i wouldnt buy it though.

Bimmer88
01-19-2008, 01:50 AM
Just got back right now from seeing it...

First of all the army shooting and shit.. now that's fucking awesome!

As for the shaky hand held cam... no a lot of people got up and left... thought I was wanting too... because I felt very ill!!!

Previous to that I had ask the lady at the popcorn stand for 2 barf bags... and oh yes did I ever use them!

I have horrible motion sickness but managed and it was a sweet movie. I can spoil it but keep an eye out near the end of the movie the corner of the screen something hits the ocean... so... let me know what the hell you think it is...

Good movie overall but not good for those with motion sickness and extreme fear involved... kept me on the edge of my seat... holy shit.

funkedelic
01-19-2008, 01:56 AM
Complete garbage of a movie, dont waste your money

Bimmer88
01-19-2008, 01:57 AM
Umm one more advice...

Take some gravol before you go!

Kobe
01-19-2008, 02:00 AM
Movie was good, but that fucken shaky camera bullshit was pissing me off, super suspense!

Bimmer88
01-19-2008, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Kobe
Movie was good, but that fucken shaky camera bullshit was pissing me off, super suspense!

Dude tell me bout it the sound effects and "stuff" *Can't SPOIL!* were INSANE!!! really amazing fx and pretty sweet monster. Scary as heck though... makes you feel as if you were there!

GRAVOL!! crap I need to bring that stuff next time.

Kobe
01-19-2008, 02:04 AM
The movie was intense as fuck, the shaky camera got old..

Had me going in my seat all the time, I am glad I was not high when I went to see this movie
:rofl: :rofl:

drtoohotty1
01-19-2008, 01:49 PM
I really liked it, ya the shakey camera was a bit annoying at points but it still gave the feel that it was real as apposed to perfect tripoded camera angles also the lines the characters were saying were priceless like any of us would say if that happened i think i may just go see it again

403Gemini
01-19-2008, 03:38 PM
I think one of the better movies to do the "1st person" point of view was Children of men. Even at the end of children of men when they were running through the streets with bombs and shit going off, it was all 1 take - and it was VERY well done.

Im a bit skeptical to see this as i heard from almost all of my friends that saw it:

"The best part of this movie is it's only 1 hr and 15 minutes" none of them complained about the camera either, but rather the movie itself.

Graham_A_M
01-19-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm going to go see it tonight. Thanks for the advice on the travel sickness thing.

:thumbsup:

Bimmer88
01-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Dude and stay till the end for the credits!!

and keep an eye out on the right side of the screen when they say "I love you" under the bridge.. it pans out to the ocean and you'll see something!

oh btw at the end of the credits it says "Help us" but if you reversed that it actually says "It's still alive"! holy crap even more hype now.

wildrice
01-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Bimmer88
Dude and stay till the end for the credits!!

and keep an eye out on the right side of the screen when they say "I love you" under the bridge.. it pans out to the ocean and you'll see something!

oh btw at the end of the credits it says "Help us" but if you reversed that it actually says "It's still alive"! holy crap even more hype now.

um... help us reversed is su pleh

Bimmer88
01-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by wildrice

um... help us reversed is su pleh

oh stop being a smartass lol....

Hakkola
01-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Calling Cloverfield Blair Witch with a monster is like calling Zoolander Citizen Kane with jokes.

This movie kicked ass, exactly what I hoped it would be, I love how pretty much everyone died and there was no happy ending, and the visuals were wicked, and the part on top of the building was stupid awesome. :thumbsup:

beecue
01-19-2008, 09:54 PM
I thought it was very good ... the shaky cam didn't bother me at all even though video games give me motion sickness easily .. I thought it was too short .. my only problem with it .. and I wish I read about after the credits before I went :(

Crymson
01-20-2008, 01:06 AM
Loved it, one of my favorite movies.

patrickj
01-20-2008, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Crymson
Loved it, one of my favorite movies.

x2

Biga Ramrod
01-20-2008, 01:36 AM
Saw the movie opening day (Friday) and it was awesome. I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Its even was scary at some parts! If you have ever watched a home movie, then the filming wont be a problem for you. They filmed it from that perspective to make it more realistic, and after like 15 minutes you get used to it and wont even notice it. It definitely makes the movie that much more authentic and you feel like you are in the film. I would say if you are going to go to the theater to see any movie, you should check this one out. :)

mark4091
01-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Wow, went to see this last night and it was pretty awesome.

The sound effects when the army starts attacking the bastard is amazing. The only problem I had was that you didn't really find out exactly what it was and where it came from.

IntegraG2
01-20-2008, 04:15 PM
i liked the movie. I didnt think it was that bad at all. I agree with the motion sickness though

SilverRex
01-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
I think one of the better movies to do the "1st person" point of view was Children of men. Even at the end of children of men when they were running through the streets with bombs and shit going off, it was all 1 take - and it was VERY well done.

Im a bit skeptical to see this as i heard from almost all of my friends that saw it:

"The best part of this movie is it's only 1 hr and 15 minutes" none of them complained about the camera either, but rather the movie itself.

TOTALLy agreed, I like how children of men was filmed. They need more movies like that. Too bad I felt it was abit short.

I havent seen CF yet, but hopefully I can handle the motion sickness

b_t
01-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Just saw it. It wasn't very good. Started out dumb, too long at that fucking party, the first parts where shit were going down were awesome, but as soon as the soldier put them back out on the street, it got to be so stupid... I liked the ending, but didn't like the monster's nice 15 seconds mugging for the camera. That was dumb - it was way better when they were just hinting at it.

88CRX
01-20-2008, 11:32 PM
BTW, there isn't shit all after the credits.

Godfuader
01-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Just got back and think it was completely worth the hype. The handycam filming was a great idea. I dont know why so many people are crying about getting motion sickness. Just get there early and sit near the back. The filming completely got you into the movie, versus having stationary cameras filming the action. I loved the fact that the movie gets you thinking about what you would do in that scenario. The ending was great that it actually ended on the handycam without the "Special News Report" two days later.

Worth Watching again...No.
Worth renting...No.
Worth Downloading...No.
Worth paying full price for a proper theatre setting...Absolutely!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

403Gemini
01-21-2008, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader

Worth renting...No.
Worth Downloading...No.

I dunno that sounds like a bad movie to me if you wouldnt even watch it again :dunno:

Hakkola
01-21-2008, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader

Worth renting...No.
Worth Downloading...No.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I think it is worth watching again, I watched up close, and thought it was awesome but will sit at the back if I see it in theater again.

I think it is totally worth watching at home, it might be easier to watch at home. Would love to see it on Bluray. I rarely watch any movies twice, but I think this is one that is worth owning.

Godfuader
01-21-2008, 02:05 AM

I dunno that sounds like a bad movie to me if you wouldnt even watch it again :dunno:

Well, not in a negative way. The premise of the movie was its secrecy and the unknown. Now that I know what the movie is about...and how it ends...the uniqueness remains, but the charm is no longer there.

eb0i
01-21-2008, 02:17 AM
I really liked this movie. The way it shown to us (1st person/unedited footage) made it feel raw and authentic. Being shot in the first person point of view also gave it a different take on a monster movie which was fresh and (for me) worked. I could have done with a little less camera shake, but never did get motion sickness from watching it. The sound was amazing when you first hear the monster roar and see it's tail (or whatever it is) demolish the building was so intense! Overall I think I would see it again just to pick up on things that I missed the first time.

Also Bimmer, you are right, there is something in the last shot that falls into the water in Rob and Beth's date to Coney Island. Which I am guessing is hinting to where the monster came from.

SilverRex
01-21-2008, 08:06 AM
hmm so it appears this is now more of a love it or hate it type movie, that explains why so many people cant handle it but still alot recommends it.

hopefully I can find the time to go watch it before it ends up on a disc.

:)

heavyD
01-21-2008, 08:24 AM
The average critic review is a 'B' so I find it hard to believe it's horrible. That said the BWP got stellar reviews and I though it was one of the most overrated movies of all time.

b_t
01-21-2008, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
BTW, there isn't shit all after the credits.

Apparently, you have to play it in reverse for it to make sense, and its a guy whispering "its still alive."

beecue
01-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by b_t

Apparently, you have to play it in reverse for it to make sense, and its a guy whispering "its still alive."

yeah here it is ... http://boomp3.com/m/bd034dfca370

SilverRex
01-22-2008, 10:50 PM
yay finally watched it tonight.

I can understand where all the negativity comes from as it seems if you can survive the shaky camera then your more likely enjoy it. I did, though was short, but its everything you can think of in a monster movie. I like how they pay attention to many details.

I just dont get the point of that message at the end of the credit. So what is the big deal of knowing its still alive? I mean they didnt show it getting destroyed. a sequal?

I say 8 out of 10

XylathaneGTR
01-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Really well done movie.
I loved it.

The camera and shakeyness didn't bother me at all, either.

Oh...spoilers below, so if you're going to be a bitch about it...skip my post.

Okay?
Good.

So many of the scenes were so well done, like at the party, Rob is just hammered out of his mind and just staring at beth, and the balcony scene, that's just total drunk guy talk...I mean, i could imagine that conversation in real life...it didn't seem so "forced or scripted" at all...A lot of the other scenes as well were just so natural feeling.
Also, maybe it's just me, but i think this movie is more about the people in the story then it is a monster ripping shit up. Their backgrounds, their motiviations, etc. It almost seemed like it was a movie about the people first, with the event (Attack) as a secondary thing going on, know what i mean?

So through out this movie, it's pretty obvious this monster is a big mother fucker (ie: 30 stories tall-ish) but at the end, when it was standing over Hud (right before it monched his ass...) perhaps it was just the angle and the fact that there was nothing else in the shot to compare it to...but it did not look nearly as big as it looked in the rest of the movie...Not nearly "30 stories tall"

Perhaps i'm thinking too far into it and getting too caught up with all of the Viral/nerd Marketing...but could there have been "more" of them?

Crymson
01-24-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm hopeing thath the sequel will be a more traditional "war of the worlds" type movie. The fact that it starts off naming central park as "US INCIDENT SITE 477" or something like that, suggests that there is either a) a shit tonne more cloverfield things attacking the world in the very near future, or b) this big guy gets loose and wrecks havoc over most of the world. I'm hoping for A).

I love all the viral marketing, i'd never gotten into a viral marketing campaign before this one, and i think it's brilliant, albiet 90% boring as hell.

403Gemini
01-24-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm hopeing thath the sequel will be a more traditional "war of the worlds" type movie. The fact that it starts off naming central park as "US INCIDENT SITE 477" or something like that, suggests that there is either a) a shit tonne more cloverfield things attacking the world in the very near future, or b) this big guy gets loose and wrecks havoc over most of the world. I'm hoping for A).

I love all the viral marketing, i'd never gotten into a viral marketing campaign before this one, and i think it's brilliant, albiet 90% boring as hell.

More than likely if there is going to be a sequel they'll stick with first person cameras, the sequel might be the perspective of a reporter, or another civillian, or a member of the military etc. I could see them releasing a butt load of these movies and keep filling the seats from the hype

Crymson
01-24-2008, 09:26 AM

More than likely if there is going to be a sequel they'll stick with first person cameras, the sequel might be the perspective of a reporter, or another civillian, or a member of the military etc. I could see them releasing a butt load of these movies and keep filling the seats from the hype

I would disagree. I would think that this movie is more of a "prolonged trailer" desiged to setup a traditional series. SO many questions were left unanswered, with NO attempt what so ever to explain them. I wouldn't expect them to release another "gimmicky" first person movie again.

403Gemini
01-24-2008, 11:53 AM

I would disagree. I would think that this movie is more of a "prolonged trailer" desiged to setup a traditional series. SO many questions were left unanswered, with NO attempt what so ever to explain them. I wouldn't expect them to release another "gimmicky" first person movie again.

Why not? look how many documentaries there are from differnet perspectives of previous wars? Why wouldnt they try the same angle and have every release like a documentary but of a differnet perspective?

Isnt that what made halflife 2 and its x-pacs so worthwhile? Almost the same game everytime - but you're getting different pieces to the puzzle because you're seeing different perspectives.

Crymson
01-24-2008, 02:20 PM
I could see the statement they'd be trying to make, but i just doubt that they'd do the handi-cam thing again.

Yah, i know this is an irritatingly huge black box, but within it, is a good sumary of the viral marketing campaign and limited backtstory that was revealed by it.

There is a cloverfield despoiler page that links to many of the referred to websites which were discovered to be part of the viral game.

From JJ Abrams (the producer): The monster has been sleeping beneath the ocean for 1000s of years.

Tagruato is a corporation that owns many different things.

Slusho is a sister corporation for Tagruato.

Slusho is a drink that is sweeping the Asian nation.

Tidowave is sort of environmental group that is against Tagruato, saying that Tagruato pollutes oceans, etc.

Tagruato has at least one deep sea drilling station.

Slusho uses Tagruato to deep sea drill for their secret ingredient (that they dub “Seabed's Nectar”) to their drink

Tidowave warns on their website that Slusho is not FDA approved, and not to drink it.

Theory: The secret ingredient is presumably from the monster

Tagruato’s drilling station (named Chuai) is destroyed. You can see a news clip here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NfTWm1nCgLc

Note: I shouldn't have to put this, but for any idiots out there, this news clip is obviously made for the viral marketing, and is not actually a news clip.

Tagruato blames Tidowave for the attack, Tidowave denies the attack.

Theory: Tidowave attacked attacked the drilling station, which woke the monster up, and the monster then destroyed the station. OR the drilling woke up the monster, and the monster destroyed the station.

Tidowave speaks of staging an "event" on their website.

Theory: This could be the destruction of the "oil drilling rig".

Slusho and "Seabed's Nectar" is approved by the FDA.

Tagruato owns a subsidiary called Bold Futura. They launched a satellite (called the Hatsui satellite) that collects data and takes pictures of the ocean (or the ocean bed).

Theory: The satellite located the monster from which they gained the nectar for Slusho.

The Tagruato website had this posted: “In their latest gesture to reach out to fellow man, Tagruato used the Hatsui satellite to try to identify a rogue piece that is thought to have fallen off of the Japanese Government’s “ChimpanzIII” satellite. Although Hatsui’s work has not yet been able to confirm the identity of the fallen piece, Tagruato scientists and engineers are busily trying to track and recover the fragment. According to Hatsui data, it disappeared into the Atlantic Ocean late last week.”

Theory: This is what is seen in the ending seen from Rob's camera.

Alternate Theory to drilling/destruction of drilling station woke up monster: The crash from the satellite awoke the monster.

A memo containing financial data for the drilling station was sent as an e-mail for people who ordered Slusho products, with the words "Americans, No oil here! They must have known before they built- The Whistleblower” written at the top.

(This backs up the theory that the drilling is just a front to get nectar from the monster)

__________________________________________________ ______________________

JAMIE & TEDDY STUFF- This is another tie-in to the movie. Site: www.jamieandteddy.com (password: jllovesth). The site contains webvids from Jamie to her boyfriend Teddy. The following recaps all of the webvids.

Jamie and Teddy know Jason, Lily, and Marlena.

Jamie and Teddy are dating

Teddy goes off to do something far away. We aren’t told what

Jamie makes webvids for Teddy to watch while he's away.

Teddy sends Jamie a gift, but tells her not to open it until December.

We learn that Teddy has not called Jamie, and is usually pretty good about calling her.

December rolls around, and Jamie opens the gift. She receives a Slusho hat, what seems to be a sample of "Seabed's Nectar", and a message from Teddy:

The message reads: “Jamie, listen to me, alright this is not a joke. If you're hearing this before we've spoken, then it means that I've been captured by the company called Tagruato. Ok, TAG-RU-ATO. Now listen. You, this is important. Don't call the authorities. It'll screw everything up. Just sit tight and wait to hear from Randy. He knows to call you. We're on their station ok, and it's like they've found something, or they're making something, but the point is, I can't, I'm not going to be calling you again. You're not gonna hear from me again. I just want you to wait for Randy… he will explain”

Theory: This implies that Teddy is working for Tidowave.

Theory: Teddy is on the oil rigging station undercover, but has been found out by Tagruato.

Jamie decides to call Teddy's bluff and calls Tagruato, which denies Teddy's affiliation, saying they've never heard of him. Jamie immediately gets a call from an unknown number speaking a foreign language, who she hangs up on because she can’t understand them.

Jamie now thinks Teddy is cheating on her for not returning her calls.
Jamie is angry.

Jamie eats "Seabed's Nectar".

Jamie says that the stuff makes her "see everything a lot clearer now".

Jamie cuts the head off a teddy bear to show she is angry at Teddy.

Transcript from Jamie's last video: "Love you haha, I am finally over you and you know what, I feel like a whole new woman and it’s like it’s gonna be the first night of the rest of my life and and Lily is putting this thing together, and I’m gonna go to it and I don’t know why I just soo like I’m like uh the happiest the happiest I’ve ever been in my whole life and I don’t know I have like MASSIVE amounts of energy I’m gonna have MASSIVE amounts of sex with Schneider and it’s just gonna be great and I just think you should say goodbye to these breast (kisses breasts) cause you’re never gonna see them again and look here (slaps butt) I think you’re pathetic."

Note: Jamie can be seen at Rob’s party passed out on a couch.

End of Jamie’s webvids.

Alternate Theory to Seabed's Nectar comes from the monster: Seabed's Nectar is what made and\or transformed the monster. This could be evidenced by the fact that Jamie has gone crazy and feels powerful, etc.

Tagruato puts out a memo that reads:

"{TO:} Level 1 Temporary Provision Staff Member
{FROM:} Judgement Council
{SUBJECT: Trusting Those Out of Our Sight}
{DATE:}11/24/2007

Effective Immediately!

Over the next few days, because of the incident that took place, starting now all letters to the outside will first
pass through our communication center, or they will not go out. Level 1 Personnel? They will remain where they are,
making certain to read the message from start to finish. (How will they know it is authentic, this message that is
dispatched everywhere? When it is inscribed by the ?.)

In addition, working hard/employment rusted overtime? As for the employees, they will be made to wait in their
appointed lodging facility until told otherwise.

If one witnesses an act of misconduct, and neglects to report it to the Council, Chuai’s department bureau will enforce
principles and regard it as a violation. There will be no exceptions."

The back reads" Americans,

The Chuai station hides a dark secret. Good people are going missing. Expect further communication in the near future. - the Whistle Blower"

Theory: The incident is the discovery of Teddy as a double agent for Tidowave.
Theory: Teddy is "The Whistleblower" mentioned earlier

END OF JAMIE/TEDDY STUFF
__________________________________________________ ____________________________

A comment on the Slusho website says simply "BLOOP!". This is possibly a reference to the "BLOOP!" incident of 1997 in which the US detected an ultra-low frequency in the ocean. According to the NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) description, it "rises rapidly in frequency over about one minute and was of sufficient amplitude to be heard on multiple sensors, at a range of over 5,000 km." Though it matches the audio profile of a living creature, there is no known animal that could have produced the sound. If it is an animal, it would have to be, reportedly, much larger than even a Blue Whale, according to scientists who have studied the phenomenon.

Slusho T-Shirts were shipped with half a page of a Japanese newspaper that could be about Hideki Matsui who plays for the Yankeess and is nicknamed "Godzilla".

Rob is in charge of duplicating Slusho’s success in the States.

4doorj
01-25-2008, 10:50 PM
i saw it today.. movie was ok.. only because i really really liked the movie story and the idea.. but didnt like the way it was filmed.. if it was filmed like a normal movie it would of been crazy good!

Hakkola
01-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj
i saw it today.. movie was ok.. only because i really really liked the movie story and the idea.. but didnt like the way it was filmed.. if it was filmed like a normal movie it would of been crazy good!

Then it wouldn't seem like you were there, and they would have to give more details about the monster etc. I think it is perfect the way it is, the roof top scene was amazing, only because it was done with a cam, and the reaction to the jet fly over is exactly the way I've reacted to low altitude f-18 flyby's.

It is a movie about a certain groups experience, and that is it. It couldn't have been done any other way IMO.

mac_82
01-28-2008, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
It is a movie about a certain groups experience, and that is it. It couldn't have been done any other way IMO.

If it was done another way, it probably would have needed a bigger budget than the $25-30 million numbers that are being thrown around as an estimate.

Considering that it made $41 million on its opening weekend alone, I am sure that if a sequel is made, the special effects budget will be a bit bigger. And hopefully that means a little less 'shaky cam'.

VWbloke
01-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Saw it yesterday and LOVED it.

Does anyone know what happened to Marlena? I mean, did she explode? Did something explode out of her?

Hakkola
01-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by VWbloke
Saw it yesterday and LOVED it.

Does anyone know what happened to Marlena? I mean, did she explode? Did something explode out of her?

She exploded. They showed the body of a soldier who was bitten before here and his stomach had exploded. I would assume that a parasite came out of her, though you don't hear any gunfire or anything, so maybe it is a small parasite?

I think only the writers know exactly what happened there.

beecue
01-30-2008, 10:42 PM
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=41491 .. sequel coming ... I read that it might be from the point of a view of another guy on the bridge that had a camera :dunno:

GTS Jeff
02-02-2008, 03:33 AM
Just saw the movie tonight. I went into it a bit worried that it'd be a gimmicky Blair Witch type thing, but it was nothing like that at all. It was really good. It honestly felt like more of an experience than a movie. It's really not your typical Hollywood disaster movie and it portrays the human element well. It was realistic and had me reeling from a lot of the crazy shit...

Funny story regarding the motion sickness though. I don't normally get motion sickness, but I had wolfed down a bowl of spam+eggs noodles right before and that wasn't sitting well. I had also eaten one of those chinese buns with whipped cream in the middle, and I'm lactose intolerant. Normally my stomach is a bit unsettled by the spam, but it doesn't bug me much. Normally I can eat some whipped cream and hold in the farts if I have to. But today, not only did I have to deal with both of these issues at the same time, I had to do it while watching Cloverfield from one of the closer up seats. About half an hour into the movie, I started belching out the nastiest spam burps and squeezing out just absolutely rotten farts. I was the smelliest mess ever!!! I felt so bad for the people sitting around me. What's worse, is that it was obviously me, cuz I left halfway through the movie to take a shit. :drama:

Gooseberry
02-02-2008, 04:21 AM
:rofl: :rofl:

Inzane
02-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
About half an hour into the movie, I started belching out the nastiest spam burps and squeezing out just absolutely rotten farts. I was the smelliest mess ever!!! I felt so bad for the people sitting around me. What's worse, is that it was obviously me, cuz I left halfway through the movie to take a shit.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

rage2
06-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Bought this on blu-ray yesterday. Usually, shakey camera work is pretty brutal in theaters, it's not as bad at home even tho I have a 70" screen.

I thought the movie was very well done. The way the story was presented (single camera handi-cam style) complimented the movie perfectly. If it was filmed in a traditional style, the storytelling definately would not have been as good. I really liked the way there were random clips that weren't taped over. I've watched some of my old DV tapes and kept seeing that haha.

Probably one of the best movies I've seen this year.

CoM is one of my favorite movies when it comes to cinematography styles. The director did cheat tho... those 1 takes were faked. There's 3 huge 1 takes in the movie if I remember right, and they were actually done through 5-8 takes each, and digitally connected. The illusion is perfect though, since I watched the movie like 8 times before reading about it. Still to this day I can't tell where the seams are haha.