PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Advancer!?.. ( bike )....

Takahashi
01-17-2008, 12:00 AM
So i have a question, what exactly is this and how does it work?...

the price is right, but would it advance my timing to an unsafe zone?...

thanx guys....

http://www.solomotoparts.com/product.php?productid=23938&cat=323&page=1

This is for a 1999 CBR600F4 by the way....

cmodem
01-17-2008, 12:32 AM
No this is usually very common for ppl who want a little more boost. They advance the timing so the spark will combust the air/fuel in the chamber a little earlier hoping to get the most power before the cylinder hits TDC.

Read about it here: You can skip all the bs and go to setting the ignition timing section if you don't have time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_timing

But coles notes:
Bike is a little retarded (as most normal cars and bikes are from factory) to reduce detonation. Ppl usually advance to get more power... but this can increase the chance of detonation... you can probably decrease the chance by using this upgrade and now using higher octane gas.

Takahashi
01-17-2008, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by cmodem
No this is usually very common for ppl who want a little more boost. They advance the timing so the spark will combust the air/fuel in the chamber a little earlier hoping to get the most power before the cylinder hits TDC.

Read about it here: You can skip all the bs and go to setting the ignition timing section if you don't have time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_timing

But coles notes:
Bike is a little retarded (as most normal cars and bikes are from factory) to reduce detonation. Ppl usually advance to get more power... but this can increase the chance of detonation... you can probably decrease the chance by using this upgrade and now using higher octane gas.
higher octane gas as in premium, or would i be looking towards 94octane?...

i have a slip on exhaust already and after a "spirited" run, the bike smells rich....

and at the same time, how much more of a chance would there be of detonation with this, would you happen to know?...

cmodem
01-17-2008, 12:42 AM
well higher octane gas just burns to completion faster and more uniformly then lower octane gas. So when your playing the timing game and upping your compression (your not doing that though) you start needing to use higher octane.

But your only advancing +4 degrees you won't need 94 octane... you could probably get away with 89 (regular) still. But since your 600 only holds what 15 bucks worth of gas... the extra 10 cents per litre so 1.50 might be worth it for you in the long run for premium gas.

However do you need it? well i advanced my timing in my old integra and i didn't need premium... and the knock sensor didn't show any increase in resonance. But your bike doesn't have a knock sensor so just pay the extra 1.50 worth of gas.

Takahashi
01-17-2008, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by cmodem
well higher octane gas just burns to completion faster and more uniformly then lower octane gas. So when your playing the timing game and upping your compression (your not doing that though) you start needing to use higher octane.

But your only advancing +4 degrees you won't need 94 octane... you could probably get away with 89 (regular) still. But since your 600 only holds what 15 bucks worth of gas... the extra 10 cents per litre so 1.50 might be worth it for you in the long run for premium gas.

However do you need it? well i advanced my timing in my old integra and i didn't need premium... and the knock sensor didn't show any increase in resonance. But your bike doesn't have a knock sensor so just pay the extra 1.50 worth of gas.
i only put premium in my bike, and would like the added power of advancing my timing....

so i think i might just buy this item, although, how would i install it, where exactly does it go?...

cmodem
01-17-2008, 01:03 AM
on that thing because your cbr 1999 is carbuerated you'd have to crack the engine case open to install it.

google it i'm sure you'll find a how to page.

The new bikes that have ecus and fi just have a plug in that controls everything i.e. a power commander. I feel your pain on carbueration.

If you want to get rid of the richness and looking for more power i think your better off getting a dynojet jet kit for your bike before doing this advance. You might/might not (depending on how much you want to lie to yourself) notice this.

But rejetting your kit will give you more gains then advancing the ignition. Like timing bikes come from factory to be on the safe side so they usually run more rich in spots where they shouldn't need to.

I used to run the dyno at race city for the regional and national races and it had perks ie i got to upgrade my bike and do dyno runs for free haha... and on my bike i went from 90 rwhp to 99 rwhp after rejetting. Timing advance won't get you that.

Takahashi
01-17-2008, 08:51 AM
thats crazy....

yeah i saw the jetting kit on that site for just over $100 i believe, problem being, i wouldnt know the first thing to do regarding jetting....