PDA

View Full Version : Sportbike on Deerfoot in January

Redlyne_mr2
01-17-2008, 10:17 AM
wtf dude use your car.. lol

Canmorite
01-17-2008, 10:19 AM
I saw tons of bikes out on Monday. I wonder how many were written off.

viff3r
01-17-2008, 12:37 PM
I think I know that guy haha

Chris88CL
01-17-2008, 12:42 PM
I've been considering taking the bike out for a ride recently. If it hits +5 or higher I probably will.

black01
01-17-2008, 12:54 PM
the weather has been really mild lately, its not like he was driving in a snowstorm

retro-steve
01-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Why do people get all uppity about stuff like this? Like riding in the off season or wearing a t-shirt while riding? I can understand if it's your friend and you don't want to see them wreck their bike or themselves, but if you don't know the person who cares? It's not you doing it, they're not hurting anyone, and clearly they are adult enough to ride so maybe they can make their own decisions.

If this guy is your friend then just tell him it's not a good idea to be riding in the off season and explain why, if they still want to do it then oh well, hopefully they don't wipe out on ice or gravel.

HillBilly
01-17-2008, 01:00 PM
that looks like a busa. If your going to do it, do it right.:thumbsup:

VetteRacin
01-17-2008, 09:41 PM
I saw an R1 on deerfoot sunday as well

ScottysZ
01-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Ya, ive seen 4 or 5 out in the last week too (including a strectched busa with nitrous on barlow :drool: ), although now im guessing theyll be away for a while.

Takahashi
01-17-2008, 10:10 PM
ahahaha, i know that guy....

he's got a couple screws loose, and yes, it's a busa....

Evolize
01-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Heh that guy on the busa with stretched swing arm is a crazy mofo. And after I crashed my bike a few years ago during the off season I had never ridden another one until the street cleaners are out.

There's gravel EVERYWHERE and most bikes have tiny headlights, its hard to see where it is and easy to crash in it.

eur0
01-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Anything above zero is do-able imo. I rode a few mornings when it was -2, after a few minutes your body adjusts.

khtm
01-18-2008, 02:41 PM
I've ridden in -15 to -20. As long as the roads are dry it's no problem. This was with an enduro though ;)

3g4u
01-18-2008, 02:44 PM
I went for a rip on monday when it was +10 little sketchy getting out of my alley as there was patches of ice all over the place but i got it out. lol.

Supa Dexta
01-18-2008, 09:40 PM
he looks like he's got enough cold protection...

HondaRice
01-19-2008, 02:39 PM
just because its cold doesnt mean anything ? maybe has snow tires on his bike. haha

i was driving a friends newer 3 generation supra in the snow yesterday. i think its best winter car ever. heavy, and great heat.

euro_racer
01-19-2008, 03:02 PM
a guy that works with my dad decided to take his bike (harley) out for a spin and whiped out. he slid across the whole intersection and came to rest where his head hit a tree...it has been 2 weeks now of machines breating for him and he still did not wake up :(

kevie88
01-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by euro_racer
a guy that works with my dad decided to take his bike (harley) out for a spin and whiped out. he slid across the whole intersection and came to rest where his head hit a tree...it has been 2 weeks now of machines breating for him and he still did not wake up :(

Wearing an actual helmet and not the beanie POS's that Harley riders wear woulda probably have saved him. I've piled my head up pretty good a couple of times haha.. I'm only a little more insane than before!!

88CRXGUY
01-19-2008, 03:44 PM
I don't see anything stupid about him riding his bike when the roads were clear and there was no snow on the ground, well doing it today would be a different story. Has anyone seen any bikes on the road today lol..

Graham_A_M
01-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

Wearing an actual helmet and not the beanie POS's that Harley riders wear woulda probably have saved him. I've piled my head up pretty good a couple of times haha.. I'm only a little more insane than before!!

Amen. I just shake my head when I see those things. If your going to wear a helmet, at least wear one that'll do SOMETHING. Those stupid little things are not snell or BSA approved (how could they be)... they just BARELY meet DOT specification.

I've had a few nasty spills at the track where I banged my head hard on the asphalt, I just got up, hopped back on the bike and went. But not wearing these leather vests with exposed arms and leather chaps for pants really helps (in conjuction to the helmets as well obviously)
:dunno:
I guess harley riders are a breed of their own.:nut:

But regardless of how warm it is out, please for all the fellow motorcyclists reading this, DONT take out the bikes!
The asphalt itself is still VERY cold, which seriously limits the tires ability to heat up to proper operating temp, and thus provide suffcient traction.
Not only that but the pea gravel thats still on the roads can create some wicked slide-outs.

I have the urge to go ridding too, believe me:burnout:
but just wait a few more months until May so you dont end up like that harley rider, or at least writting off your bike
:thumbsdow

Redlyne_mr2
01-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by 88CRXGUY
I don't see anything stupid about him riding his bike when the roads were clear and there was no snow on the ground, well doing it today would be a different story. Has anyone seen any bikes on the road today lol..
You have obviously never riden a bike.

88CRXGUY
01-19-2008, 11:14 PM
You'd be correct sir..

Freebs
02-12-2008, 02:58 AM
I ride all year round... but not in the city... during these months if i ever take the bike out its ONLY when the roads are all dry and i normally only go for a nice 20min ride on the out skirts of the NW here in calgary.
Im just a bit more carefull in the corners now since my crash in sept. when the tire wasnt warm enough in the morning and coming around a corner with a bit to much gas...
but either way... on deerfoot at this time of year is a bit much..

Graham_A_M
02-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Freebs

Im just a bit more carefull in the corners now since my crash in sept. when the tire wasnt warm enough in the morning and coming around a corner with a bit to much gas...

Thats how my buddy laid down his R6. He was used to the Michelin Pilot powers (still very good in the cold) when he gased it around a turn close to his house. He forgot that a few days prior, he switched over to my (former) favorite tire, being the Pirelli Supercorsa Pro Dragon, which is an absolutely stellar tire, but it performs HORRIDLY when its not at the optimal opertating temp.... so he low-sided it into a curb. Thank fully there weren't any cars there. (or that would have really sucked trying to pry up a car to get his wedged in bike out) LOL

Now we both sport the Pirelli Supercorsa Pro Diablos, as their amazing tires. last longer, better feedback, with a lower operating temp, so they warm up quicker and are less hazerdous on wet/cold conditions.

02-18-2008, 09:56 PM
Went for a quick ride today! Sooo good to get back on, I saw about 5 more bikes while I was out, it was a awesome day for riding, but the gravel is a little sketchy just have to be on the look out and take your corners slow:thumbsup:

Freebs
02-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Thats how my buddy laid down his R6. He was used to the Michelin Pilot powers (still very good in the cold) when he gased it around a turn close to his house. He forgot that a few days prior, he switched over to my (former) favorite tire, being the Pirelli Supercorsa Pro Dragon, which is an absolutely stellar tire, but it performs HORRIDLY when its not at the optimal opertating temp.... so he low-sided it into a curb. Thank fully there weren't any cars there. (or that would have really sucked trying to pry up a car to get his wedged in bike out) LOL

Now we both sport the Pirelli Supercorsa Pro Diablos, as their amazing tires. last longer, better feedback, with a lower operating temp, so they warm up quicker and are less hazerdous on wet/cold conditions.

umm i may have to go for a set of thoughs for my next set.. im still on the Stock tires that came with my R6 :P only have 4030kms on it... but they are getting pretty worn and i wouldnt mind a tire that can perform some what in the cooler weather as i do try to ride all year..

Black Gts
02-19-2008, 07:20 PM
ya I was out the last two days.. And once in Jan. Get it while you can, ha ha. You just have to be more aware of gravel, and cars that are stunned that you are out...

02-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Freebs

umm i may have to go for a set of thoughs for my next set.. im still on the Stock tires that came with my R6 :P only have 4030kms on it... but they are getting pretty worn and i wouldnt mind a tire that can perform some what in the cooler weather as i do try to ride all year..

Im pretty sure the R6 comes with a battlax stock, which is a very good tire. But for if you are looking for something "year round" I would suggest the Pilot Road... Its a step down from the Pilot Power in terms of racing performance, but grips far better in shitty conditions esp. rain!

http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/accessories/images/mich-pilotRoad-pair.jpg

Freebs
02-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by 5.0

Im pretty sure the R6 comes with a battlax stock, which is a very good tire. But for if you are looking for something "year round" I would suggest the Pilot Road... Its a step down from the Pilot Power in terms of racing performance, but grips far better in shitty conditions esp. rain!

http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/accessories/images/mich-pilotRoad-pair.jpg

yea that would work for me as i dont really race this bike its just a fun toy to cruz around on... it gets used 98% of the time on the high way.. ahah and as you can tell by the KMs i have put on it (4030 in 3 years) ahaha i dont use it much so thoughs tires will last quite a while

Graham_A_M
02-20-2008, 12:20 PM
^ My buddies '06 came with the dunlop qualifiers. (not very good tires he tells me, just average).
If you do get the pilot powers, go with the "2CT" 's or the "Pilot Race" ones. The regular Pilot powers are awful tires (IMHO). I hated them, they lasted 2-3k km's before they were dead, and the rider feedback was just........ :rolleyes: I was not impressed. At full lean, I honestly didn't know when the tires were going to slip until they did, and when they did it was very unpredictable (/scary as hell). With the Supercorsa Diablo's & Dragons, the slip is very predictable, and you know exactly what the tires are doing at every moment. Their very confidence inspiring; I feel very comfortable pushing my bike with those tires.

Apparently the Pilot Race & the 2CT's are Michellin's version of those said tires. I've yet to try either. I just buy my tires as race take offs. As for $100-$150 a pair is far cheaper then $500/pair locally for new ones. (and the tires can be almost new at times, if not their much cheaper for somewhat worn ones) Ebay has some wicked deals on tires too.
I get them through Angus MacNeil. He just does the mini-road racing circuit through www.amra.ca

There are countless hardcore racers down in the states that have (literally) trailers full of race-take offs, they just want as little as $50 a pair for them at times. Some of them are on bike specific forums, others toss them up on ebay.
Of course you do tire changes more often because the said pair is slightly worn, but the savings on tire costs for me are worth it.
:dunno:

02-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Yea you are right the R6 comes with the dunlop qualifiers. Not the most popular tire, but on par with the PilotPower.

The 2ct's would be less ideal for his type of riding, as they only perform when warm. They are closer to a race slick, than the pilot power (less tread).

3clips3
02-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Pirelli Corsa ftw!

I ran Powers on my Gix and was happy with them for the most part but the Pirelli offer better feedback for sure!

Reap
03-02-2008, 10:42 PM
pretty horrible thread in my opinion
each to their own, the weather isn't that bad

Barlow
03-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Reap
pretty horrible thread in my opinion
each to their own, the weather isn't that bad

AMEN!!!

teggypimp95
03-03-2008, 02:51 PM
I think if were having a warmer winter, its awesome the bikes are taking advantage of that! gives them a longer riding season. Makes me happy to see the bikes out, reminds me that spring is close!