PDA

View Full Version : STOLEN: Charity 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass superstock race car

Eride
01-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Posting this for a friend of mine...

Thieves steal charity car

By DOUG MCINTYRE

Heartless thieves stole more than Mike Zunic's prized race car -- they stole the investment he made to find a cure for the affliction racking his body.

The 57-year-old Irricana resident, who has Parkinson's disease, spent more than $35,000 last year to purchase a 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass superstock race car, only to discover the car had been swiped from a parking lot Monday night.

The Cutlass was set to hit the tracks this year in a fundraising capacity for the Parkinson's Society of Southern Alberta.

Zunic and his friends were hoping to attract sponsors by displaying the car at a World of Wheels event next month, followed by a National Hot Road Association race in Mission, B.C., this spring.

Friend Dan Bernhard said the theft of the high-end speed machine is a devastating blow for Zunic.

"His life has been cut short with Parkinson's disease and he'd like to help others, and this has been thwarted by thieves," said Bernhard. "All of the documentation was in place other than the signed insurance form to finalize the deal, and that was going to happen the day it was stolen."

Zunic was diagnosed nine years ago with the degenerative nerve disorder.

"They gave him seven years to live and he's past it," added Bernhard.

The race car was stolen from the lot of Airdrie business Dash Autographics.

The vehicle, which had the slogan "Racing For A Cure For Parkinson's" painted on its side, was bought last March from Indiana, with a specialized racing trailer procured two months ago.

http://photos-658.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v170/118/118/503748658/n503748658_614337_1340.jpg

Destinova403
01-17-2008, 07:11 PM
wow... how low can you go... seriously... it even said racing for a cure on the side.

4wheeldrift
01-17-2008, 07:23 PM
No honor among thieves apparently. You'd think even criminals would have some kind of minimum standard. "I'll sell crack to school children, but messing with a charity is just low."

urban.one
01-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Hopefully these guys have a conscience and park the car on the street and call the cops to tell them where to pick it up. Or that one of the thieves friends/family rat out the group.

Im hoping this thing hasnt been chopped already.

Graham_A_M
01-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Shit like this doesn't surprise me. Stealing those containers for collecting the money for the rememberance day poppy's told me just how pathetic some people are. :eek:

I wonder if they can actually justify the $18 they got from stealing one of those? or how they can still look in the mirror every morning knowing that the money they stole was going to the support foundations for war veterans thats fought for their freedom?
:dunno:

It just boggles my mind... I can't even begin to reason with some of these people

Eleanor
01-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Wow :thumbsdow to the thieves, hopefully one of them grows a conscience and returns the car.

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
(double post, please delete:banghead: :banghead: )

You know you can delete your own posts, right?

Graham_A_M
01-17-2008, 09:34 PM
^Done thanks, I never even noticed that
:confused:

Sharpie
01-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^Done thanks, I never even noticed that
:confused:
Noob

I hope these people are caught and their names released so everyone can know...

SpoonEK9@STRD
01-18-2008, 12:16 PM
where can we donate?

camarooon
01-18-2008, 12:38 PM
hey thanks for throwin that up for me, just so all of you who dont know me im cam storms i drive the stolen olds, any donations can go through the parkinsons society or through the christian rodders and racers association, we can give tax receipts and such for money donations, but any kind will do. you can contact garth at 888-6086 or mike at 837-4407, be patient with mike as he has parkinsons and has trouble speaking.

again, thanks for all your support

camarooon
01-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Search for stolen racecar

calgary.ctv.ca

POSTED AT 6:11 PM Thursday, January 17

A valuable racecar has been stolen in Airdrie.

Mike Zunic bought the car last year to help raise money, and awareness, about parkinson’s disease – an illness he suffers from.

Zunic spent nearly $50,000 getting the 1988 Oldsmobile ready to race.

“It’s not like we race the car for nothing. I mean, my grandpa died a few months [ago] and he had parkinson’s for over 20 years and it’s a pretty big deal,” says Cameron Storms, the driver of the car.

On Monday night a trailer, with the custom-built racecar inside, was stolen from a parking lot for an Airdrie auto shop.

The Oldsmobile has decals on the doors that say Racing for a Cure for Parkinsons. The sides of the vehicle have the initials MJZ. The trailer is white with chrome-like trim.

Anyone with information about the theft should contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).