PDA

View Full Version : Buying a pre-owned truck

SR240SX
01-19-2008, 08:44 PM
I'm looking at buying a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE from Fish Creek Nissan. Now the only thing I am concerned about is that when looking at the truck the back bumper has a scuff and some paint chipping about 2-3 inches across..and not even a half inch wide. The other thing i noticed is that on the drivers side the bumper seems to sag about a 1/2 inch..passenger side is fine. The salesmen told me that he had no clue what it was from..and that the previous owner must have just backed into something.

Should I pass on the truck because of this? He told me it should be about 400-500 to repaint the bumper and that it would line up again..he said they are held on by clips and that is what must have broke. If it can be painted and it will line up good again I dont see a problem in it really. But im just so iffy about getting it now because of this..i dont want to have to deal with a big problem behind the bumper if any.

The truck has 149,000kms...and there is a chip of paint missing on the drivers side rear..a bit smaller then a loonie. They were asking 15,850 without GST. They accepted my offer of 15 grand including GST..but im just not sure if i should go with the deal. Kindy sketchy about it..what do you guys think??

Here is the the link to the ad..its kind of hard to notice the missing paint in the one pic but yea can kind of see it..and i will be looking for a stock exhaust lol:barf:

http://www.hyattautomotivegroup.com/fish-creek-nissan/used.php?s2=2&s0=1&search.make=47&search.model=939&search.year_start=&search.year_end=&search.price_start=&search.price_end=&search.km_start=&search.km_end=&search.body=&search.ext_color=&search.order=1&search.order.dir=2&search.results_per_page=25&search.display_format=thumb&s1=1&vi=275079

Jlude
01-19-2008, 09:17 PM
have you done comparisons on autotrader.ca

I was looking at a pathfinder a while ago, around the same year... and that mileage seems high for the price.

Rav4Guy
01-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by SR240SX

The salesmen told me that he had no clue what it was from..and that the previous owner must have just backed into something.

he said they are held on by clips and that is what must have broke.

Kindy sketchy about it..what do you guys think??

Should I pass on the truck because of this?

The answer... in short... is YES!

In this case the damage is apparent. What if it was much more than a "bumping into the wall" accident? one that was never reported. Take a look at something else imo.

HRD2PLZ
01-19-2008, 09:25 PM
If you really want this truck, as them to fix it as part of the sale. If they won't, then just walk away. It could just be cosmetic, but who knows really. I wouldn't buy a used, high mileage vehicle that had been in an accident though.

Most dealerships get their vehicles from auction or trade-in so I would assume most of them aren't familiar with the vehicles history. Whenever I had traded in a vehicle, no dealership ever asked me what the history of the vehicle was or if I had any service records that I wanted to pass on.

Weapon_R
01-19-2008, 09:38 PM
150k and a possible accident? I'd pass and wait for a lower mileage one.

SR240SX
01-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys.. i do have bad feeling about it anyways..i think im going to pass on it.

SR240SX
01-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Ugh now im kinda wanting this truck again haha...the salesmen called me and said they will fix the bumper and make it align properly again for half price..he said it should be about 500 to fix..I told him I would call him back and am thinking i should offer him 15,200 for the bumper fixed and aligned properly. Other then that this truck is in great shape..looks great too. I dont find 150,000 km's anything to worry about? but should i be worried? are these trucks good reliability wise?

SikAssR1
01-21-2008, 12:41 PM
why dont you check out the vin?

2BLUE
01-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Ahh when in question...take a walk

SR240SX
01-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Well im not so much worried about it now that they will fix it..But is it worth my money? or will i be selling it right away? i love the ride..it looks great but yea..i just dont want to make this another money pit like my 240:banghead:

Masked Bandit
01-21-2008, 02:38 PM
There are lots of Pathfinders around and I know for a fact that Fish Creek brings a lot of Nissan product in from Ontario & Quebec. If the truck is not local, I would pass simply based on that.

88CRXGUY
01-21-2008, 02:45 PM
^^Yeah if I were you since that you have doubts about this vehicle I would pass. I would look around and see what else you can find, don't regret buying this vehicle and getting screwed over. See they are trying to squeeze more money out of you for paying to repaint and aline the bumper. Cars from the east, ugh...

WALK AWAY.

Weapon_R
01-21-2008, 02:53 PM
In a couple years that truck will hit 200k and it'll be worth next to nothing...Just something to think about. My friend sold an 02 QX4 with around 110k for 17k, so I'd keep looking.

SR240SX
01-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Any way i could find out like ASAP where the car is from?..I just basically told them i would do it at 15,200 and he called me back and said they would..now i really shouldnt buy it? I'm not all that concerned about re-sale value im just looking to have something that will last me a few years without headaches. Ive also been looking for 01+ Qx4's but all of them either have high milage and are in the 15k range..or they are in the 20+ k range. Does the infiniti hold a better value? is it more reliable? they are both the same all around vehicle are they not? just hte Qx4 beeing more luxurious?

Sailz
01-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Purchase a vehicle from the states. You will get something a lot nicer and for less money. I recently just bought an 05 xterra offroad 4x4 LOADED with 20k miles for not much more than what your paying.....something to think about at least.

Masked Bandit
01-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Any way i could find out like ASAP where the car is from?..I just basically told them i would do it at 15,200 and he called me back and said they would..now i really shouldnt buy it? I'm not all that concerned about re-sale value im just looking to have something that will last me a few years without headaches. Ive also been looking for 01+ Qx4's but all of them either have high milage and are in the 15k range..or they are in the 20+ k range. Does the infiniti hold a better value? is it more reliable? they are both the same all around vehicle are they not? just hte Qx4 beeing more luxurious?

Just ask them. I think they have to tell you.

bamboo403
01-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Umm dealers HAVE to put vehicles through an inspection before it can be purchased and driven away.

SR240SX
01-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Well i baught the truck..haha..It feels fine..no rattling or anything in the interior..drives very very smooth and alignment is perfect..breaks are all good everything checked out great. The car is also originally from alberta so that made me allot more confident about it. They booked me in at a body shop to fix the rear bumper and will give me a rental during this time. All in all i figure it was worth it..im sure it will last me a long while. Thanks for your imputs guys!!!

Rav4Guy
01-22-2008, 12:13 AM
I think almost everyone said "pass" yet you bought the vehicle. :dunno: how does having the car from Alberta improve your confidence?

Enjoy your new ride!

2.4l
01-22-2008, 01:02 AM
you idiot:banghead:

SR240SX
01-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Rav4Guy
I think almost everyone said "pass" yet you bought the vehicle. :dunno: how does having the car from Alberta improve your confidence?

Enjoy your new ride!

Well opinions and suggestions only go so far lol..I'm sure if some of you actually had a look at the truck you would consider it aswell..well maybe not because allot of you think it has high km, But im sure if the truck was well maintained and is well maintained it will last me a long long while. It's was lady driven before me..and it seems it was well taken care off..interior is mint no wear on the leather or tears. All in all im very happy about the purchase so hopefully this truck treats me good! haha

And 2.4L your a fag lol ill show you the truck you'll think otherwise!!!

SikAssR1
01-22-2008, 10:02 AM
A previous lady driver doesn't mean shit. For all you know she probably didn't even know what a oil change was. Anyhow, enjoy your truck.

btw did they give you any sort of warranty? ie 90 days?

SR240SX
01-22-2008, 08:19 PM
^^ Well on average id say ladies keep theyre shit in better shape then men. Also..if ANYONE is looking into buying a new vehicle..hell even an old vehicle they should know what a damn oil change is. Sure if this truck would have had mechanical problems i would have said no RIGHT away. But everything checks out good. They agreed to fix the bumper so I went with it...everyone i have showed the truck too things i did good with my price and the condition of the truck. So im happy:bigpimp:

I was also offered a warranty, 2 years or 40,000km's..i refused it because of it beeing like 2,400 dollars..i thought about it and if nothing happens to go wrong with it in the time i own it im out 2,400 bucks..Most problems I will run into if any im sure I will be able to handle it without having to take it to a shop.

Sharpie
01-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Congrats... Most people on here dont know what they are talking about.... Bumpers are hard to align sometimes after small hits, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Hounddog
01-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Why, oh why, are you folks calling a Pathfinder a "truck" ?!?!

:dunno: :)

Aleks
01-23-2008, 08:04 AM
Is it me or did it have an aftermarket exhaust on it? :confused:

SR240SX
01-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Yea it does..it dosent sound all that bad..not really loud at all. I'm replacing it with a stock exhaust anyways. Thanks Sharpie haha finnaly someone agree's with my decision.

Rav4Guy
01-23-2008, 10:17 AM

Well opinions and suggestions only go so far lol..I'm sure if some of you actually had a look at the truck you would consider it aswell..well maybe not because allot of you think it has high km, But im sure if the truck was well maintained and is well maintained it will last me a long long while. It's was lady driven before me..and it seems it was well taken care off..interior is mint no wear on the leather or tears. All in all im very happy about the purchase so hopefully this truck treats me good! haha

And 2.4L your a fag lol ill show you the truck you'll think otherwise!!!

You're absolutely right. opinions only go so far but it seemed like you had your mind set on the purchase before posting.

It's a nice truck as my friend has one and enjoys driving it. He has had any problems with his.

The Pathfinder is on a unibody frame so no, it's not a truck. Houndog is right. meh!

Sharpie
01-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Hounddog

Who gives a shit? fuck they call ridgeline trucks...

SR240SX
01-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Hounddog

Sorry. Sport utility vehicle..that better?