PDA

View Full Version : Gigantour 2008 - Megadeth, In Flames etc

a social dsease
01-20-2008, 01:45 AM
Any other metal fans on here? Who else is going to Gigantour 2008? Megadeth, In Flames, Children of Bodom, Job For A Cowboy and High On Fire, May 14 at the Corral!! Should be an awesome show, Megadeth fukin kicked ass the first two times I saw them here, and the corral is a better venue than the dome in my opinion. Get your tickets now!

http://www.gigantour.com/home.php

Darkane
01-20-2008, 01:51 AM
May 14th, got my ticket. Now lets see If I can get a day off and get to calgary lol.

Mibz
01-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Gonna be huge. No pun intended.

b_t
01-20-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm probably going to go, I missed Megadeth last time they came through town. Job for a Cowboy is sick as well, so is In Flames, but I hate Children of Bodom..

powerslave
01-20-2008, 08:52 PM
I'll be there with some friends, already got floor tickets.

thrasher22
01-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Fack! I'm so choked to be out of town for this, I've been waiting years to see In Flames (missed them at sounds a couple years back).

I wasn't a fan of Bodom until I saw them live, they put on a rad set. I've heard good things about high on fire too.

Inzane
01-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by a social dsease
Any other metal fans on here? Who else is going to Gigantour 2008? Megadeth, In Flames, Children of Bodom, Job For A Cowboy and High On Fire, May 14 at the Corral!!

I've got tickets for their Edmonton show on May 12th at the Shaw Conference Center. Can't wait!

I haven't seen Megadeth in concert since they played here in Edmonton (same venue, but still called "Edmonton Convention Center") back on Feb. 14th, 1993!!!

Has anyone seen the set list yet?

Mibz
01-21-2008, 03:30 PM
I haven't seen Megadeth or Bodom live yet. Super stoked for both.

s8chan
01-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Inzane

I've got tickets for their Edmonton show on May 12th at the Shaw Conference Center. Can't wait!

I haven't seen Megadeth in concert since they played here in Edmonton (same venue, but still called "Edmonton Convention Center") back on Feb. 14th, 1993!!!

Has anyone seen the set list yet?

They will probably play some classics like Hanger 18, Mechanix, Holy Wars, Symphony of Destruction, Tornado of Souls, She-Wolf, Peace Sells, A Tout Le Moude, Sweating Bullets, Skin O' My Teeth and then songs from the new album like Sleepwalker, Washington is Next, Gears of War. They just got an amazing new guitar player, Chris Brodrick (formerly Nevermore and Jag Panzer). Probably one of the guitarist I've ever seen/heard. They said that they would be playing some different songs that they haven't played in a while for different nights. Will be a great show (or at least Megadeth and Bodom)!

JRSC00LUDE
01-30-2008, 09:44 AM
I'll be at the saskatoon show. General Admission FTW!

b_t
01-30-2008, 10:05 AM
I'd go just to hear Hangar 18 and Tornado of Souls live. Broderick is insane too, quite possibly the best guitarist to ever play for Megadeth.

JRSC00LUDE
05-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Anger bump.

As I scrolled through a little independant paper at work today an add caught my eye and I realized that I spent all last night working on my car and.....

wait for it......

MISSED THE FUCKING MEGADETH SHOW THAT I FORGOT ABOUT!!!!! :banghead: :cry:

Inzane
05-12-2008, 10:59 AM
The Edmonton show is tonight! Can't wait.

What's really odd though is the start time... it's 5:30pm. ?? That's unusually early for a concert and means I'll have to leave work a couple hours early today.

I'm going mostly for Megadeth (haven't seen them live since their Symphony of Destruction tour in '93).

I've never heard these other bands before that are touring with them. I hope I'll like 'em too.

thextinct
05-12-2008, 11:04 AM
ive always wanted to c a metal concert... but never really got time :(

lets hope in the near future i get to c some :(

:cry:

Canmorite
05-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Tickets say it starts at 5:30...where do we find out what time which bands are on? Surely they don't start at 5:30...

Benny
05-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Megadeth
In Flames
Children of Bodom

Havn't heard of any of the other bands...

...Don't really care :eek:

Canmorite
05-12-2008, 08:59 PM
I just hope In Flames isn't on before 7:30..

Darkane
05-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Get there early guys. From what I remember from previous years bands are on around 6 or even earlier! I remember Megadeth coming on around 9-9:30 and finishing 10:30-11.

BE EARLY! lol I missed Nevermore one year because of that :(

Micho
05-13-2008, 12:17 AM
If its possible, could anyone pick me up some merch? One of those Blooddrunk Children of Bodom shirts would be awesome, will pay back whoever. Wanted to go the concert but didn't get any tickets unfortunately...

powerslave
05-13-2008, 08:01 AM
So those of you who were at the Edmonton show, what time, approximately did CoB start playing (I'm assuming they went on before In Flames)?

I don't care much about the two opening bands, but would like to be there for the last three.

Inzane
05-13-2008, 10:55 AM
I was at the Edmonton show last night. Megadeth rocked the house!! :thumbsup:

The whole thing was about 6 hours long. Megadeth didn't get on until almost 9:30pm. Had I known, I wouldn't have taken off from work early. I didn't care for the first couple bands.

The first band "High on Fire" played for about the first half hour, break, the second band "Job For a Cowboy" also played for about a half hour, break, "Children of Bodom" started roughly around 7pm. They played for 45-60min, and "In Flames" played for at least an hour.

The first band was not that remarkable. I watched maybe half their set. They weren't awful or anything, they just didn't interest me. Job for a Cowboy though.... good god, they were one of the death (?) metal bands where the lyrics sound like "Roar roar roar, raw, roar, ROOOOAAARRR". <<--- Does that kind of shit actually appeal to anyone?? :dunno:

When Children of Bodom got on you could start to see the skill and showmanship level take a step up. This band also seemed to have quite a following based on all the cheering and chanting before they came out. (these guys are new to me). We were in the middle of the mosh pit for their entire set which made it tough to focus on their playing, as it was getting quite crazy in there. Interesting use of keyboards in their act.

In Flames was another step up. No comment other than they seemed pretty good. Of the 4 opening bands (that were all new to me), this is probably the one I'd be most likely to give another listen to.

Now, during the intermission between In Flames and Megadeth, the shit started to go down. I already mentioned the mosh pit was starting to get crazy. Well by this time we had moved over the bleachers (this was Shaw Conference Center, btw), people had been throwing water bottles everywhere, and peoples' shoes too (taken from body surfers of course). Well, someone threw a bottle of gatorade or juice that hit the soundboards in the middle of the floor. This got the sound guys and security quite pissed off and they were running frantically for towels and rags to wipe their equipment down. The main sound guy got on his mic headset and gave the audience shit, warned about potential damage to the equipment and told us to beat the shit out of anyone else who throws a water bottle. What followed was a further delay of at least 20min before Megadeth finally came out.

After a couple songs Dave addressed the audience and was pissed off about the soundboard incident. Then after a few more songs he addressed the audience again this time pissed off that people had been throwing shoes onto the stage. And if it happened again he was going walk off stage and that would be the end of the show. Finally things settled down for a while, no more shoes and water bottles. But then after the 10th song, out of nowhere 3-4 guys appeared on stage and swarmed Dave and security had to drag them off. The band walked off, and they were gone for at least another 20min before they were coaxed back out again.

By this time Dave seemed really pissed, and pissed at the event security as well for allowing all this shit to happen. He warned the audience again about stopping the show if any of it happened again. Luckily he kept going with the show and next 6 songs totally rocked hard. It's as if getting angry made them play even better! (oh and there was at least one more "incident". Towards the end of the set Dave was pointing to someone down in the front row and looking over to security standing off stage right, and the guy went down there and Dave pointed again to someone and then it looked like someone was hauled away).

In total I think I counted about 16 songs in the main set, plus at least 3 in the encore.

**Spoiler ahead** Don't read if you don't want to see any of the set list.

This is going totally by memory, after a long and tiring night. I may have a few songs out of order, and might have missed one or two.

Sleepwalkers
Wake Up Dead
Take No Prisoners <--- fuck yeah, I didn't expect them to play that.
Washington is Next
Skin of my Teeth (I think)
<-- I'm forgetting a song somewhere in here (d'oh)
In My Darkest Hour
Hanger 18
Burnt Ice
A Tout le Monde

--- unplanned break after stage disturbance

Tornado of Souls
Symphony of Destruction
Peace Sells But Who's Buying
Train of Consequences (I think)
- something from the Cryptic Writings album I think (forget the song)
Sweating Bullets

*Encore*

Holy Wars...
Mechanix <-- another surprise!
... Punishment Due

So as best I can recall there were 10 songs, then the break, then 6 more, and then the 3+ song encore.

I have to say I was a bit embarrassed for our city last night. It would really suck if Dave decided to skip Edmonton entirely next time due to the shit antics of a few assholes that almost ruined the show.

Oh, and concert shirts were $40. Ouch.

powerslave
05-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Oh this is gonna be sweet, thanks for the review Inzane!

b_t
05-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Fuck am I ever choked I am missing Megadeth again.. I missed them on the Heaven & Hell tour, now I missed them with their newer better ultimate awesome guitarist. And the setlist kicked ass! Damn it!

Mibz
05-13-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm missing CoB for the 3rd time and Megadeth for the 2nd now. Pretty upset....

3g4u
05-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Got my ticket.:D

Inzane
05-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Well..... ?

Calgary's show was last night, right? How was it?

Mibz
05-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Major luck last night. I freed up and my buddy came through with a ticket. I didn't get there in time to see the two opening bands.

First time I've seen CoB live and they were way better than I imagined they would be. Tons of energy. Except for the keyboard player... He just stood there drinking with one hand and playing with the other, ha. Great songs, great energy, easily my fav of the night.

In Flames set wasn't the best. I'm The Highway is now one of my top 3 live In Flames songs but I can't believe they played Alias. Terrible song in my opinion and just as bad live as it is recorded. They played a lot of new (Come Clarity/Sense of Purpose) stuff which kinda sucked. Overall good but definitely the worst In Flames set I've seen.

This was my first time seeing Megadeth and it was exactly what I expected. They subscribe to the "11 is one more than 10" ideal (See avatar :P) and sacrifice quality for sheer volume. I couldn't hear a fucking thing despite being at the back and for somebody who doesn't know a lot of Megadeth songs by memory it kinda ruins it. Couldn't hear solos, couldn't hear vocals. I could hear it clip when everybody sang though, that was pleasant.... I dunno. I'm sure there are a thousand people there who really enjoyed Megadeth and good on 'em for it but I just couldn't.

On another note, now I know why metal bands rarely come to Calgary. This is my second metal show in Calgary (First being Metallica) and it was kinda pathetic how little energy there was in the crowd. Maybe it's cause they RAN OUT OF BEER AT 7:45. What kinda poor ass planning is that? Regardless, In Flames, Devil Driver and Trivium in Vancouver had twice the energy. Sounds of the Underground in Edmonton was fucking insane. Biggest and fastest circle pit I've ever seen and it was there for half of the bands. Songs that called for jumping had the entire crowd going. I understand that these are both smaller venues but I'm comparing floor to floor here and it was just sad. Bad night? Or is this standard for Calgary?

Lastly, did anybody see the dude jumping from seats to floor fucking take down the tiny female security guard? He jumped down from the West side and ran straight for her. She put her arms out but he just shoved her down and booked it. Hi-godamn-larious.

3g4u
05-15-2008, 10:23 AM
I wasnt too impressed with Megadeath, couldnt hear a damn thing he was singing.

In flames was the only decent band there in my opinion and even they didnt play that good.

I honestly cant stand COB I really think that they suck so my opinion of them live is a bit biased.

Calgary has lots of intensity for most shows i have been to, i dont know what was going on last night. :dunno:

And no beer WTF.

Inzane
05-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
This was my first time seeing Megadeth and it was exactly what I expected. They subscribe to the "11 is one more than 10" ideal (See avatar :P) and sacrifice quality for sheer volume. I couldn't hear a fucking thing despite being at the back and for somebody who doesn't know a lot of Megadeth songs by memory it kinda ruins it. Couldn't hear solos, couldn't hear vocals. I could hear it clip when everybody sang though, that was pleasant.... I dunno. I'm sure there are a thousand people there who really enjoyed Megadeth and good on 'em for it but I just couldn't.

Originally posted by 3g4u
I wasnt too impressed with Megadeath, couldnt hear a damn thing he was singing.

I wonder if you guys were suffering some of the after-effects of the juice-bottle incident on the soundboard that happened in Edmonton, which may have caused some damage. (Mustaine apologized for the sound quality a couple times at the Edmonton show).

Their performance and sound definitely improved the other night after they came back on stage following the stage-rushing security incident.

Overall I was happy with their performance. (I also was wearing ear plugs for most of the performance, which do a surprisingly good job of blocking out unwanted feedback/noise).

3g4u
05-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Ya my buddy was wearing ear plugs and he said it sounded much better. I have to remember that trick for the next show.:thumbsup:

powerslave
05-15-2008, 12:20 PM
I agree with a lot Mibz said actually about last night's show. Just like him, I also showed up just before CoB started playing. They did a pretty good set, seems the most energy the crowd displayed was during their set. There was a mosh pit during their set, to the point where my buddy and I had to back up away a bit. Nice comment about the keyboard player, drinking beer with one hand, playing with the other, and top it all off, there was a bra streched across the lower part of the keyboard.

In Flames were very disappointing, poor performance and a terrible song choice, but then again, I dislike anything they did past Colony, so I'm biased.

As for Megadeth the music was pretty damn loud, and Dave did a pretty crappy job singing on most of the songs. At first I thought his mike was set too low, but when he talked and actually wanted to sing, he could be heard perfectly. That's my only complaint, the vocals, other than that Megadeth were fucking amazing, Hangar 18, Tornado Of Souls, Ashes In Your Mouth (couldn't believe it!), and tons of other classics.

Chris Broderick did an awesome job too, he nailed all the solos! Very impressive!

Great night overall, my ears are still ringing a bit.

Lt247
05-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Personally i was happy to see Children and Inflames..

ive seen inflames before so it wasnt a huge deal to see them, but i enjoyed their set,

Children was nice to see for the first time ^-^

as for megadeath..we left early.. im not a big fan of them myself.

overall good shows!

minus the lack of beer after Job from a cowboy :thumbsdow

Mibz
05-15-2008, 01:48 PM
I wonder if you guys were suffering some of the after-effects of the juice-bottle incident on the soundboard that happened in Edmonton, which may have caused some damage.Nah, I was behind the sound board and it clipped 3 or 4 times per song. Sound guys weren't doing a damn thing about it. Not sure whether to blame the band for saying "Just turn it all up" or the sound guys for saying "Nah, red bars are cool" but either way I left early (Just after Hanger 18) because I just couldn't hear shit.

EDIT: I just remembered that the best part of In Flames' set was the crowd singing Happy Birthday. Ha, so much fun.

xmattx8
05-15-2008, 02:02 PM
I would only go for job for a cowboy.

Darkane
05-15-2008, 05:42 PM
this was one of the best Sounding Megadeth shows I've seen. I was front, middle second row in the pit.

I got sound from the Amps/Monitors and it sounded as it should. Clean, crisp, great. The Stands people had all the sound from the PA and I heard it was Shit.

Broderick was playing effortlessly, Mustaine payed a lot of respect to him sharing the stage. First time I've seen Dave back out of the spot light so many times during the Solo's he wrote lol. Drummer was brilliant, one of the Brother's from Evergrey. Bass player was classic 80's, skinny and rocking. From BLS I think.

Great show, For those of you who said it had no energy, You don't "Circle Pit" at a real Metal show. You crowd surf and head bang. Didn't you see the endless bodies during Peace Sells? I had at least 20-30 people fall right on my neck lol.

Canmorite
05-15-2008, 05:51 PM
I got there right after CoB finished, JUST in time to see In Flames. Never seen them live, but I loved it. Great songs, crowd interaction, wicked playing. Props to them. They said they might be back in November, too!

I wish they were a bit louder, though. Megadeth was sooo loud. I left after 'Washington is next', couldn't hear a damn thing the guy was singing :rofl:

a social dsease
05-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Overall I found the concert pretty disapointing. Sound quality for all the bands was brutal, but I think CoB was best. In Flames played almost all new stuff, which is fine,but I would have liked to hear a couple of their classic songs (besides Only for the Weak).
Megadeth was sweet becuz I'm a big fan, but the vocals were too quiet, and energy level wasn't super high.
I was also really choked about the lack of beer, usually concerts at the corral are good but they totally blew this one.... :thumbsdow