PDA

View Full Version : anybody used Hammer Strength machines before?

b_t
01-21-2008, 12:16 PM
The gym I go to is getting a bunch of these hammer strength machines in soon. As far as machines go they look pretty cool. Anybody used these before? How well do they work? Will they replace free weights at all?

A790
01-21-2008, 12:25 PM
They are a brand of Life Fitness. As far as build quality goes they are pretty darn good. Definitely durable/reliable pieces of machinery.

A lot of them utilize simulated free weights. While I've never used them personally, the sales pitch that they threw at us (when I worked at Fitness Depot) was that it better simulates a free-form movement, allowing someone to choose to completely isolate a muscle group or to do more functional training (targeting a primary muscle group and incorporating stabilizing/supporting muscles). Again, whether or not that works as they pitched it is unknown to me. One thing I like about them is that you can adjust the weight wieth standard weight plates instead of having to use the weight stack.

Their benches and racks are good. I would choose Northern Lights stuff for my home personally just because I have more experience with them, but there's definitely nothing wrong with it.

98type_r
01-21-2008, 12:44 PM
They have a lot of them at Cardel place in addition to all the free weights. I haven't used them much because i've just always just used free weights. The one I do use regularly is the preacher curl, seems to provide more resistance all the way up as opposed to doing it with free weights.

kerry
01-21-2008, 12:48 PM
I curl the Preachers curl machine.

But in all seriousness, I've never seen a Hammer Machine... machine?

Which gym do you goto Cody?

b_t
01-21-2008, 12:55 PM
I go to a local one here in Cochrane, Cochrane Health and Fitness.

lint
01-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by kerry
I curl the Preachers curl machine.

But in all seriousness, I've never seen a Hammer Machine... machine?

Which gym do you goto Cody?

They have them at Talisman Centre and Gold's NW

core_upt
01-21-2008, 04:18 PM
I've used them and like them quite a bit - they are easily adjustable and fit a variety of builds and most of their machines are left- and right- side independent.

Swank
01-21-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that's what they have at the gym in the Husky tower. If so I found them to work very well (used to go there for a while). The triceps one was unique to me.

BrknFngrs
01-21-2008, 05:55 PM
I like Hammer Strength machines a lot, you can always throw on lots weight, the motions are comfortable and I find they are a great substitute to free weight for exercises towards the end of your workout if your getting tired or shaky.

95EG6P
01-27-2008, 03:56 PM
They are great machines, we have them at the gym that I work at. Most of these machines takes away the balancing factor, not like free weights so you can load more weights. Remember to always change up your workouts/machines every 8-12 weeks to shock your muscles and see continuous improvements.

Cheers
Flex