PDA

View Full Version : $22/hr City of Calgary job; Automotive "preventitive maint. tech"

Graham_A_M
01-21-2008, 07:26 PM
https://pehcmw1.calgary.ca/psc/pdhr/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/ROLE_APPLICANT.ER_VIEW_JOBS.GBL?&

^ I thought this would be right up most of you guys' alley, so I thought I'd throw this up on here.

$19-23/hr Or so. :thumbsup:

(Its the one at the top: Refererance number 106529)

finboy
01-21-2008, 07:32 PM
city jobs are great :thumbsup:

DannyO
01-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Anyone else having problems viewing this?, I've tried with Firefox and Safari and there both saying I need cookies enabled, yet they are on both browsers.

Graham_A_M
01-21-2008, 07:44 PM
^ I dont know, I use IE, and I had no problems.

here, fuck it. I'll just copy & paste it.
here it is below

Posting Title:
Preventative Main. Person

Reference:

Job Information
Job Title: Preventative Maintenance Person
Business Unit/Division: Fleet Services/Fleet Maintenance
Union/Position: ATU 583/Limited Term (up to 20 months)
Compensation: Pay Grade 7
$21.41- 22.72- 23.97 per hour
Business Unit Information
Fleet Services keeps the city running and ready to respond. Highly-skilled technicians, mechanics, welders, machinists, trainers, engineers and other support staff ensure The City has the vehicles, equipment and operators ready to serve the citizens of Calgary. From snow ploughs and refuse packers to one ton, half ton trucks and passenger vehicles, Fleet Services provides safe, cost-effective and innovative acquisition and maintenance for our fleet of 2,400 vehicles. This job opportunity offers training and support programs, first-rate working facilities, staff events and excellent benefits. Employees are offered progressive employment opportunities which include internal opportunities for promotion. In addition, the exciting work environment at Fleet Services promotes a work/life balance.
Responsibilities
Under the functional direction of a Supervisor, this position performs a wide variety of preventative maintenance checks on vehicles and equipment. Duties include:
- grease, oil, filter and tire changes, wheel torquing, fluid level checks, servicing batteries, replacing or adjusting fan belts, performing minor repairs to lights, windshield wiper blades, checking for and reporting any abnormal conditions and assisting the mechanics as required;
- ferry vehicles to and from dealers for repairs, as well as, to and from the sites;
- pick up parts from stores or dealers;
- steam clean parts or motors;
- maintain the cleanliness of tools and equipment used in the performance of the work and of the work area;
- operate the equipment used in the performance of the work and of the work area (operate the fork lift as required);
- operate a variety of hand and power tools and equipment and adhere to safety procedures established within the work unit;
- perform other related duties as required, including unlocking the Maintenance Garage at 5:00 a.m. on occasion and manning the Customer Service Counter.

Note: This is heavy manual work performed in the shop and involves exposure to fumes, grease and battery acid requiring adherence to safety procedures. Standard shop conditions pertain.
Qualifications
Applicants must have a High School Diploma or equivalency (e.g. GED) with one year related experience. Preference will be given to applicants who have completed Heavy Equipment Technician or Automotive Service Technician training. Possession of valid Alberta Class 3 Drivers License with "Q" endorsement or the ability to obtain same and successful completion of city proficiency tests. Must be physically able to carry out duties assigned.
Note:
- Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
- Only education obtained from an accredited institution will be recognized as meeting the minimum qualifications.
- More than one position may be filled from this competition.

Please apply on or before:
2008/01/30
Posting Type:
Internal, External

Graham_A_M
01-21-2008, 07:46 PM
WOW, I've only had this up for 20 minutes and already 150 views.

:eek:

DannyO
01-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks man :thumbsup:

finboy
01-21-2008, 08:22 PM
if you can't get the computer to work, they have the listings posted down town in city hall, and its open most weekdays until 10pm.

i've worked in fleet, and parks, and have other friends who have worked in other departments of the city. you won't get rich but its got great job security and benefits.

Graham_A_M
01-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Its unionized too, the guitarist for my buddies band gets triple over time, as he works in waste services of some sort.
:thumbsup:

zhulander
01-21-2008, 08:42 PM
If you're young, it's very doubtful they'll hire you unless you know someone there that will put in a good word for you.

They're tired of hiring people, training them, and then they leave because the shift they are hiring for is most likely weekends, which is 5am-3pm Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun. They know it's not a good shift for young people with social lives.

The job itself is pretty slack but like most city jobs lots of politics, micro managing, and low employee morale.

Graham_A_M
01-21-2008, 09:00 PM
^ Wow, THANKS!!!! Actually I know MULTIPLE people that are young and work for the City of Calgary (about 5 actually), also, like any job, if you meet the qualifications; how much training is there really? of how to check the oil & tire pressures? yeah its quite the investment that their making alright:rolleyes:

finboy
01-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by zhulander
If you're young, it's very doubtful they'll hire you unless you know someone there that will put in a good word for you.

They're tired of hiring people, training them, and then they leave because the shift they are hiring for is most likely weekends, which is 5am-3pm Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun. They know it's not a good shift for young people with social lives.

The job itself is pretty slack but like most city jobs lots of politics, micro managing, and low employee morale.
the city NEEDS new employees as all of the baby boomers are retiring. the politics, micro managing, and low employee morale are found in all jobs, not just city work. its an unfortunate part of life, but with the city, atleast you can transfer to different departments if you don't like whats going on.

edit:
also, the city pays bi-weekly, anyone who has worked a bi-weekly and a bi-monthly job can tell you how much nicer bi-weekly is.

zhulander
01-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Wow, THANKS!!!! Actually I know MULTIPLE people that are young and work for the City of Calgary (about 5 actually), also, like any job, if you meet the qualifications; how much training is there really? of how to check the oil & tire pressures? yeah its quite the investment that their making alright:rolleyes:

:drama:
That was my role. I know how they operate. All the young people they have hired there all knew somebody within in that organization already.

There is a lot of training there actually...
Class 5 city license
Class 3 city license
Torque wrench calibration training
M4 system training
Forklift training
Communications training
Lots of safety and health training seminars
Most of the training takes months to get a full class so they can register you in or to schedule you in.

It's a ISO:9001 facility so their are strict guidelines and workers need certification for everything. Yes, even torquing tires, you need to take a day long class to learn about all the different type of wheels and how to torque them properly.

So yea it's quite the investment they are making for someone who wouldn't want to stay long term. :rolleyes:

leec001
01-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Limited Term for max. 20 months only, it is called temporary employment (not established) there is no guarantee for extension and further employment.

This kind of position is based on the budget of the financial year(s).

There are also lots of deductions, i.e.$25 union fee, blue cross, LAPP,...........

DRKM
01-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Good lord that job would suck. Basically doing shit all day long. I would die. Kinda reminds me of Trans-x....

Graham_A_M
01-21-2008, 11:10 PM

:drama:
That was my role. I know how they operate. All the young people they have hired there all knew somebody within in that organization already.

There is a lot of training there actually...
Class 5 city license
Class 3 city license
Torque wrench calibration training
M4 system training
Forklift training
Communications training
Lots of safety and health training seminars
Most of the training takes months to get a full class so they can register you in or to schedule you in.

It's a ISO:9001 facility so their are strict guidelines and workers need certification for everything. Yes, even torquing tires, you need to take a day long class to learn about all the different type of wheels and how to torque them properly.

So yea it's quite the investment they are making for someone who wouldn't want to stay long term. :rolleyes:

Class 5? basically a pre-requisit to this job... so thats a given
Class 3? half a day to a full day.
Forklift? one day course... super easy.
Torque wrench training? LMAO, I haven't even heard of such a course.
Communications training, what would that be; a day?

So lets be very conservative and say that it'll take a week total, how is $1k a steep invesment?
Back when I was in the oil patch, the company I was with (Schlumberger) would blow $23k on a new employee... on a two week training course, and that was with absolutely NO guarantee that the person would stick around afterwords.
:dunno:
Besides: given Calgary's economy, turn over rate is a given. This ad was posted up a few months back, but I never posted it here at that time.

zhulander
01-22-2008, 12:29 AM

Class 5? basically a pre-requisit to this job... so thats a given
Forklift? one day course... super easy.
Torque wrench training? LMAO, I haven't even heard of such a course.
Communications training, what would that be; a day?

So lets be very conservative and say that it'll take a week total, how is $1k a steep invesment?
Back when I was in the oil patch, the company I was with (Schlumberger) would blow $23k on a new employee... on a two week training course, and that was with absolutely NO guarantee that the person would stick around afterwords.
:dunno:
Besides: given Calgary's economy, turn over rate is a given. This ad was posted up a few months back, but I never posted it here at that time.

Torque wrench calibrating is when you calibrate torque wrenches so they are accurate.
It's a little more than a $1k investment, my supervisor said it's about 6 months before they see a return on you. You're going to some training/seminar every 10 business days. You're comparing a multi billion dollar oil company with a huge expense account to a small public city department with a set budget.

I don't even know why you're arguing with me. I just said it'll be tough to get in if you're young and don't know anybody there.

Anyways, some questions for the interview:
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
How do you deal with stress?
How do you deal with conflict at work?
What experience do you have?
Describe a time where you showed a leadership role.

There are around 30 questions.

zhulander
01-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by leec001
Limited Term for max. 20 months only, it is called temporary employment (not established) there is no guarantee for extension and further employment.

This kind of position is based on the budget of the financial year(s).

There are also lots of deductions, i.e.$25 union fee, blue cross, LAPP,...........

If they like you they will offer you permanent well in advance.

Originally posted by DRKM
Good lord that job would suck. Basically doing shit all day long. I would die. Kinda reminds me of Trans-x....

If you like being productive it's not a job for you, you're cleaning the shop 6hrs a day.

Supa Dexta
01-23-2008, 02:06 PM

Anyways, some questions for the interview:

How do you deal with conflict at work?

I don't, I mention chuck norris' name and shit gets done.

Graham_A_M
01-23-2008, 04:51 PM
If you like being productive it's not a job for you, you're cleaning the shop 6hrs a day.

yeah I was going to say that,..... checking oil levels & tire pressures and giving visual inspections, wow what slave drivers these guys are... TOUGH AND Stressful, for only $22/hr......\\what some guys will do for money these days eh?
:nut:

dr_jared88
01-23-2008, 05:09 PM
[B
[/B]

are you kidding? you could read through the book in a half a day, but remember all the things you need to check for a circle check, how to adjust your slackers for your air brakes, and the actual road training takes a lot more then a day. on top of that, you need to book a medical/eye exam, wait to see if you pass, write your written and then book your road test.

its going to take you more than a week and thats assuming you pass your road test first try. jumping into a 13 speed 50,000lb truck with air brakes isn't like jumping in your buddies car. each vehicle can be a drastic difference from another similar one beside it. plus just getting used to man overing a vehicle of that weight and size takes getting used to.

for their road test they make you start in first and double clutch up and down as well and go threw every gear. even though its stupid.

but yea, theres no way you can do all that in a day.

Graham_A_M
01-23-2008, 05:24 PM
^ I have my airbrakes, and my class three. But your right, I lied. two days. whoops.

leec001
01-24-2008, 09:07 AM

If they like you they will offer you permanent well in advance.

It is 50/50

Yes, if they have budget to offer a permanent position and approved by the HR.

Nope, if no more budget or reject by HR.