PDA

View Full Version : taxi hit me and I need advice

5G_celica
01-21-2008, 08:36 PM
ok this my be a really stupid thing I did, but here we go.

on friday I was drving home and on 17th ave and a taxi, trying avoid a car in the middle lane with it's hazard light on, clipped me. scratched my bumper and driver side fender. very minor.

so he said he'll get it fixed and we won't go through insurance so I gave him the benifit of the doubt and just took his information just incase.

so he came by today to see what damages there was and he asked for my insurance (he didn't grab it on friday)

he says he'll call his friend and get it fixed tomorrow.

now I'm worried since he wanted my insurance info.

if he goes to the police and says I hit him I wouldn't be considered guilty would i?(meaning does it matter who claims first when they figure fault?) I had my girlfriend in my car and he had a customer in his car. thinking back I should have gotten the customer's phone number

I use to live in vancouver, so dealing with ICBC is a bit different.

just wondering if I should be worried

Bimmer88
01-21-2008, 08:38 PM
hmm you can't trust anyone these days. Well your kinda screwed in a sense if he claims it on your insurance because you would have NO control over that. You should of gotten his insurance information.

Worst comes to worst find where he lives and just screw him over lol.

Kona9
01-21-2008, 08:39 PM
make sure his "friend" doesn't fix your car!

5G_celica
01-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Bimmer88
hmm you can't trust anyone these days. Well your kinda screwed in a sense if he claims it on your insurance because you would have NO control over that. You should of gotten his insurance information.

Worst comes to worst find where he lives and just screw him over lol.

sorry if i didn't make it clear, I did get his insurance info just in case

I shouldn't have trusted him.. should have did it by the book.. now I'm worried...

Fusion
01-21-2008, 09:03 PM
ummm sound like indian taxi driver..

dj_rice
01-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Fusion
ummm sound like indian taxi driver..

Is........too easy ;) :rolleyes:

Jlude
01-21-2008, 10:27 PM
dude... never trust anyone...

Team_Mclaren
01-21-2008, 10:33 PM
call your insurance company now, its not too late. File a police report as well if its over 1000 in damage.

DO NOT let his "friend" fix it. Again, DO NOT let his friend fix it, go to a reputable body shop to get a quote.

anhsicun
01-21-2008, 11:02 PM
im with Team_Mclaren unless its parking lot incident which ends up to be 50/50 most of the time then go through with insurance since its his fault.

Crymson
01-21-2008, 11:15 PM
I'd say to give him the chance to pay out of pocket, but you pick the autobody shop. That way everybody wins. But i agree, do not go to "his friend". Tell him it's either your autobody shop, or a police report and an insurance claim. I don't think you can get into any trouble by reporting the accident late, i would assume this kind of thing happens all the time.

G3)Rider
01-21-2008, 11:22 PM
in every incident you should go to the police.
going to the police doesnt mean your automatically going through insurance. going to the police enables you to have proof of what happened, granted you have a witness at the scene.
if you both go through insurance he "could" make up some bullshit
and from there on its your word against his... then to small claims court it goes.

finboy
01-21-2008, 11:56 PM
-go to the police
-go to insurance
-don't trust cab drivers, look at what shape their cars are in (especially the paint jobs, yellow gas tanks/mufflers FTL), their "friends" will do about the same quality repair job on your car

mekeni
01-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Crymson
I'd say to give him the chance to pay out of pocket, but you pick the autobody shop. That way everybody wins. But i agree, do not go to "his friend". Tell him it's either your autobody shop, or a police report and an insurance claim. I don't think you can get into any trouble by reporting the accident late, i would assume this kind of thing happens all the time.

:werd:

rage2
01-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Rule of Thumb for accidents. ALWAYS file a police report with the guy first. That won't affect the at-fault party's insurance rates at all. This will prove who's at fault.

After that, you can decide if you want to be a nice guy and let them settle privately and not through insurance. The guy can't fuck you over since you have the police report already.

Lex350
01-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Rule of Thumb for accidents. ALWAYS file a police report with the guy first. That won't affect the at-fault party's insurance rates at all. This will prove who's at fault.

After that, you can decide if you want to be a nice guy and let them settle privately and not through insurance. The guy can't fuck you over since you have the police report already.

I'm with you on this. Sometimes initial quotes can miss items and the repair cost can increase.

ekcondon
01-22-2008, 11:16 AM
I was in an accident in '05 and the guy said he wanted to deal out of insurance, same thing, we gave him the benefit that he would contact us, sure enough, after 5 days we had not heard a thing from him. So we decided to go through insurance/police report and let them sort it out.

call your insurance company now, its not too late. File a police report as well if its over 1000 in damage.

This statement is very true, it's not to late, get it done sooner than later. Sure enough, and no joke, one hour after we called our insurance company and filed the police report, the guy that hit us called us and started screaming at us. We just told him to deal with his insurance haha. Alot of times people don't want their insurance to go up, or even worse, they will get charged with something like expired licence, it wasn't there vehicle, stuff like that. Best of luck, I hope it all works out for you

van
01-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Yeah, the police station I went to though has a big sign on the front door that says not to file a police report unless the damage is actually above $1,000.00 lol -- so what do you do then?

gtr34
01-22-2008, 11:23 AM
does anyone knows how long you can wait to make a claim?

403Gemini
01-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by anhsicun
*snip*parking lot incident which ends up to be 50/50 most of the time then go through with insurance since its his fault.

+1 ban for incorrect information plz and thx :thumbsup:

canuckcarguy
01-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Hey, he might have just asked for your insurance information to make sure you were insured. If you hadn't been, he may have threatened to report you to the police for no insurance if you pushed him to do repairs. You have insurance, he's got nothing to hold over your head, so he's prepared to pay to fix your car.

This happens from time to time - a contractor I hired once told me a story about getting screwed this way. He was behind on maintenance payments to his ex, so couldn't renew his license, and was driving without one. He was rear-ended, causing about $1500 damage. The contractor would have been okay with a $1000 payment, but the other drive figured out he was driving illegally, and wouldn't pay him. What's he going to do, call the police?

I'd agree, though, that you get to choose the shop, or at least present him with a few estimates to choose from.

Thaco
01-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by defekt1
Yeah, the police station I went to though has a big sign on the front door that says not to file a police report unless the damage is actually above $1,000.00 lol -- so what do you do then?

fill out a report anyways, you're not a body repairman, as far as you're concerned it's more than $1000 damage.

bobby_lu
01-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Sentence him to be your butler.....or better yet, free taxi rides for life.

403Gemini
01-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

fill out a report anyways, you're not a body repairman, as far as you're concerned it's more than $1000 damage.

Or just tell the cops your insurance company requires one to proceed with the claim ;) that makes the cops fill em out if they refuse

tom_9109
01-22-2008, 02:55 PM
They don't figure fault by who claims first. I would definitely write down what happened the day you were hit and all your dealing with him. Go get your own quote and then ask him to pay that amount. Got a pic of the damage??

A police report wouldn't hurt either.

PARKRAT
01-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Should of had a dash cam:angel:

anhsicun
01-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

+1 ban for incorrect information plz and thx :thumbsup:

this is wat i was told trying to pass it on but some one can shed some light on it as i might be wrong.

its 50/ 50 in parking lot due to being on private property but
if you were stationary in a parking lot and the occused hit you, its his fault. However, if you weren't stationary while the occused hit you, then its a 50/50 split. As both car was technically in gear, and potentially in motion, the ins company will see it fit to split the repair. unless u get the guy to admit it to the cops or on papers then it won't be 50/50.

Thaco
01-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by anhsicun

this is wat i was told trying to pass it on but some one can shed some light on it as i might be wrong.

its 50/ 50 in parking lot due to being on private property but
if you were stationary in a parking lot and the occused hit you, its his fault. However, if you weren't stationary while the occused hit you, then its a 50/50 split. As both car was technically in gear, and potentially in motion, the ins company will see it fit to split the repair. unless u get the guy to admit it to the cops or on papers then it won't be 50/50.

Wrong, it's only 50/50 if you were both reversing out of parking spots and neither of you had yet started proceeding forward.

zoik
01-22-2008, 09:58 PM
had a similar incident a year ago, my car was parked on 17th and a cab side swiped me. i think if i didn't run after him he would've ran off. i got his information and he wanted mine, i refused to give it to him. he called his supervisor down and i called the police information line about it. you actually are required by law to hand over your insurance information to him (retarded!) but when his supervisor came down, they filled out their internal reports about the accident that they refuse to give you a copy of. but i was allowed to proof-read.

next day straight to the police station for a report.

sjpeters79
01-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Forget what the tax guy said and just goto the police and file a report of the incident and explain to them what happened and why you didn't report it before and hopefully they can help someway.