PDA

View Full Version : Another person killed by SE/NE C-Train Line

HondaRice
01-22-2008, 01:24 PM
http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/RTGAMArticleHTMLTemplate/B/20080121/pedmon?brand=generic&hub=&tf=CFCNPlus/generic/hubs/frontpage.html&cf=CFCNPlus/generic/hubs/frontpage.cfg&slug=pedmon&date=20080121&archive=CFCNPlus&ad_page_name=&nav=home&subnav=fullstory&site_cfcn=http://calgary.ctv.ca

time for the city to fix the ctrain tracks either underground on 36 or elevated. it will also fixed the worst traffic problem in the city (by day) its backed up 7 days a week

look at crowchild trail. no deaths, no traffic as a result of the train.

Kona9
01-22-2008, 01:39 PM
"Investigators say the teen was crossing in a marked crosswalk and the traffic arm was activated with flashing lights and bells."

Sounds like the kid caused his own death. Not the train.

Shitty none the less!!!

RIP

Redlyne_mr2
01-22-2008, 01:40 PM
It's time for people to start using their brains. Avoiding an oncoming train is not rocket science.

Hayate
01-22-2008, 01:41 PM
i cant understand how u can get hit by a c-train, its either suicide or just plain stupidity

01RedDX
01-22-2008, 01:57 PM

2.0turbo
01-22-2008, 02:03 PM
It's stupid that the C train is right on the ground on a couple main stretches of road that cause a lot of traffic. It sucks that people die from it although the fault obviously has to fall on the people walking infront of it.

I heard that there was underground lines all downtown before they decided to put it above ground. Does anyone know if this is true?

Chester
01-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by 2.0turbo
I heard that there was underground lines all downtown before they decided to put it above ground. Does anyone know if this is true?

Yep, there are pictures, just gotta search.

HondaRice
01-22-2008, 02:07 PM
It's stupid that the C train is right on the ground on a couple main stretches of road that cause a lot of traffic. It sucks that people die from it although the fault obviously has to fall on the people walking infront of it.

yes I agree. if its the kids mistake or not SE/NE line deserves just as much as safety as the brentwood line.

Canmorite
01-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Kona9
"Investigators say the teen was crossing in a marked crosswalk and the traffic arm was activated with flashing lights and bells."

Thats what I heard too. If you can't hear the bells, see the lights or notice the traffic arm swinging down...can't help ya :dunno:

01RedDX
01-22-2008, 02:10 PM

HondaRice
01-22-2008, 02:14 PM
oh please, when i was in grade 1 i remember the news a kid our age in 1991 was sliced in half by the NE ctrain.

do you notice crowchild has no deaths as a result of a ctrain there? no, not becasue they are supposedly more "educated or smarter"

01RedDX
01-22-2008, 02:21 PM

3g4u
01-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Hayate
i cant understand how u can get hit by a c-train, its either suicide or just plain stupidity

People are basically taught in Canada not to look both ways before crossing the street because its allways the drivers fault. Except buddy failed to realize that trains dont stop so easy. I hate this mentailty, we are the only bloody country in the world that adopted this dumb policy, all based on screwing the average working driver out of more $.

HondaRice
01-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
^ you're right, it's a conspiracy by city planners to kill NE ppl, while distracting them with tasty pizza joints

i know

Quinsonaaa
01-22-2008, 02:46 PM
damn.. RIP . but how can someone be so dumb

Jlude
01-22-2008, 03:08 PM
RIP

Antonito
01-22-2008, 03:13 PM
RIP, that sucks

As far as raising the tracks, for traffic I agree, it'd be good, but for most of these people who are most likely commiting suicide, it won't help. In Vancouver where the skytrain is completely elevated (or underground), people simply jump in front of the trains as they come into the station instead

Jlude
01-22-2008, 03:14 PM

There is a small section of tunnel under city hall that was completed, before they decided to put it above ground.

Some info and pics here: http://busdrawings.barp.ca/bus/lrt/calgary/anderson.html

good find!!! I found it pretty interesting

adam c
01-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Antonito
RIP, that sucks

As far as raising the tracks, for traffic I agree, it'd be good, but for most of these people who are most likely commiting suicide, it won't help. In Vancouver where the skytrain is completely elevated (or underground), people simply jump in front of the trains as they come into the station instead

people do that here in the downtown core as well

kertejud2
01-22-2008, 04:17 PM

I don't think those lines are complete (nor would there be any stations), but there is definitely a large portion of underground track. I believe they ran into some serious money problems in the middle of construction and were forced to keep it above ground.

kenny
01-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Ctrains will go underground eventually... I think the two stampede stations are going to be the first ones to go under so they can extend 17th avenue as another entrance into the grounds (and possibly where the new stadium will be built).

Nav13
01-22-2008, 04:51 PM
One less retard walkin the streets in my opinion. I have no pitty for people that do not obey all the safety precausions set up.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
It's time for people to start using their brains. Avoiding an oncoming train is not rocket science.

My thoughts exactly.

finboy
01-22-2008, 05:44 PM
darwin wins from the sounds of it

nikka
01-22-2008, 05:49 PM
i want to go find the old underground tunnels.. looks so cool

chongkee_
01-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Nav13
One less retard walkin the streets in my opinion. I have no pitty for people that do not obey all the safety precausions set up.

+1

01RedDX
01-22-2008, 05:58 PM

Chris88CL
01-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Most people would be absolutely AMAZED at how many Calgarians try to take their own life by jumping infront of a C-train.

Generally speaking, if the person wasnt pushed infront of the train, they jumped infront of the train. There's a few accidents where they thought they could beat it, but those are RARE. It's usually an attempted suicide.

88jbody
01-22-2008, 06:39 PM
there is one underground line, splits off the tunnel between downtown and stampeed grounds. it just goes a short distance going under city hall. it had been planned to go through the downtown, but to save cost and get more track in they stopped the underground.

on calgary transists website in their files if you look through there are proposed lines that will use the underground line under

but reall people getting hit by the c-train is not the c-trains fault it is properly marked. but it definatly is a big traffic issue. possibly years from now they will move it underground, but I do not see that happing untill after the SE line and the west line are completed, and perhapps even after the proposed line to run almost parrallel to deerfoot and to the airport.

Jay911
01-22-2008, 07:08 PM
The solution isn't to move the LRT or hide it underground or anything like that. (If it's underground, all it will mean is the cops investigating the shmuck who threw himself off the platform in front of an underground train won't get rained/snowed on.)

The solution is to not get in front of a bloody 120 ton train.

There are no "miles of tracks" underground in Calgary, anywhere. There is a single, unfinished tunnel underneath City Hall, as described on the BARP website linked above. I was in it in 2005 and it looks exactly as those photos depict. The wall that ends it on the southeastern edge can be seen from the NB trains as they go underground from Vic Park Stampede, if you look off to the west (left, if NB). There's a massive poured cement wall about 8 ft thick that separates the existing tunnels from the unfinished section.

The unfinished section has very minimal lighting (mainly used when groups such as the fire department use the entryway for confined space rescue training) and stretches to about Macleod Trail. I estimate you could put 20 semis in the cavern and have room left over.. there are two 'tunnels' in the cavern, each as wide as a two lane road, separated by a poured cement wall.

cityhunter2501
01-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by HondaRice
oh please, when i was in grade 1 i remember the news a kid our age in 1991 was sliced in half by the NE ctrain.

do you notice crowchild has no deaths as a result of a ctrain there? no, not becasue they are supposedly more "educated or smarter"

crowchild has overpass bridges to cross to the sides or ctrain station, and car there goes 80-120kmh

whereas 36st NE is a business area with lots of stop lights for people to cross by.

regardless, it was the kids fault for trying to cross an incoming train.

never knew of that old underground station in calgary..they should seriously reconsider it...but I guess it could be more dangerous than the streets.

rmk
01-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Some of you guys are fucking retards.

Hakkola
01-22-2008, 07:33 PM
^ you're right, it's a conspiracy by city planners to kill NE ppl, while distracting them with tasty pizza joints

:rofl: :rofl: Gold!

kertejud2
01-22-2008, 08:17 PM
They could build the underground stations so that they have a double door system to prevent people from jumping in front of them. They've done it in some London stations, not sure if they plan to have it on all of them, but if its that big of a concern.

Well I guess they're more of an Asian invention. They seem to also be good for climate control (in a city like Calgary, that could be a bonus). T

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_screen_doors

dimi
01-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by rmk
Some of you guys are fucking retards.

:werd: :rofl:

malbadon
01-23-2008, 12:47 PM
it's a cost issue. It was a cost issue when they first considered it in the 80's, and its even more-so one now.

You have to remember they were in the middle of a recession when they were building the thing, even with "the Olympics are coming" hysteria, a population explosion like we have now was un-dreamed of. At like 5 times the cost to put it underground, it seemed like a nice idea, but not something economically sensible or feasible, or even politically survivable, for the city back then. Something far more logical to put onto the "future things to do" list.

Sadly, with our massive growth and huge build-cost increases, one shudders to think of the cost and downtown interruption that will be incurred when they finally do put it underground.

Kona9
01-23-2008, 01:18 PM

or an iPod with the volume cranked...

Ipods go in your ears not your eyes!

01RedDX
01-23-2008, 01:27 PM

AG_Styles
01-23-2008, 01:33 PM
underground stations with doors that open with train doors when it arrives. close environment with purified and vented air and climate. turnstiles/barriers to prevent freeloaders and a manned control station beside them to answer problems and provide station/train security at each location. all for $1.50 per 1 way trip.

yah i can dream. oh wait, asian countries already all adopt this.

gogo reactive city council. way to not be proactive. lets spend more on our city parks right?

http://www.smrt.com.sg/trains.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Rapid_Transit_(Singapore)

zomg screen doors to prevent getting hit?!?! NO WAY!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f6/Ns24dhobyghaut.jpg/800px-

http://jawaexpress.com/destination/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/faregates.JPG
barriers for fare payment, security control center is to the right of picture.

http://jawaexpress.com/destination/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/mrt_plasma.JPG
arrival time notification.

malbadon
01-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Singapore MRT daily ridership: 1.5million
Calgary LRT : 250,000

So if we paid 9 bucks a rider, we could have it too!

Call me when Calgary is the size of Singapore :burnout:

01RedDX
01-23-2008, 08:34 PM

black01
01-23-2008, 08:37 PM
agreed, theres a big difference between LRT in large asian cities vs here in calg, we love our cars here too much.

and as for all this talk about suicide and double glass doors and what not.... If people really wanna kill themselves they are going to find a way, theres no point in investing in double glass doors or anything else.

kevie88
01-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by malbadon
Singapore MRT daily ridership: 1.5million
Calgary LRT : 250,000

So if we paid 9 bucks a rider, we could have it too!

Call me when Calgary is the size of Singapore :burnout:

When is the last time you were in Singapore? Calgary has a bigger urban sprawl than Singapore I'd say! Whenever they make a reliable mass transit system here that doesn't take me 1.5 hours to travel what would normally take me 15 minutes in the car I'm in!

I was there in October.. Singapore is awesome! Cab rides are cheap as f@ck. love those Toyota Crown cabs too.

AG_Styles
01-23-2008, 08:51 PM
then there should be no reason to complain about LRT line related deaths.

there are many solutions to the problem and blind eyes have been turned.

so the eventual outcome is, we're are gonna make calgary stay at the current population forever. so everything will be status quo and the population will never rise. ever.

it's like re-expanding a road to fit 2 lanes only to realize that you're gonna need another lane within a year when u could've just constructed 3 lanes to begin with and end all the different yearly constructions.

AG_Styles
01-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

Whenever they make a reliable mass transit system here that doesn't take me 1.5 hours to travel what would normally take me 15 minutes in the car I'm in!

qft.

also if we have money to spend on parks... why dont we have money for more "transit station security" like everyone is bitching about now? or trains that dont catch on fire... yah, working downtown in rush hour in winter. in 8 weeks, 3 trains overheated and caught fire, and another 4-5 bus breakdown incidents. maybe i'm unlucky, but maybe they could've spent money to ensure that doesn't happen?

01RedDX
01-23-2008, 10:47 PM

AG_Styles
01-23-2008, 11:41 PM
which leads to my point. are we going to wait the said length of time for city officials to go: "ok, so we have a problem, now lets spend another 5-10 years planning and set aside another 20 years for construction." effectively wasting time maintaining the status quo when a plan should be in the works now.

i don't understand how a group of people running a city can be so reactive instead of proactive when it comes to a public transportation system they want to force everyone to use.

a majority of Calgarians drive just due to the fact it is a lot faster and convenient than taking an unreliable public service that they pay slightly less for.

Lets say in 20 years when the population doubles again and the said public transportation system hasn't been overhauled. Vision the number of cars on the road due to people not wanting to take transit. Add the fact that LRT's occupy portions of the road that is used by every other motorist. Massive delays are going to be in store, on the road and on the track. How many more of these LRT's can city council purchase before it becomes moot? lets not forget, god forbid, more platform injury/death incidents that come with the increased population. I really do hope they have some sort of plan before that happens cause the commute to work is going to suck ass.

j.ng-
01-24-2008, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by AG_Styles
underground stations with doors that open with train doors when it arrives. close environment with purified and vented air and climate. turnstiles/barriers to prevent freeloaders and a manned control station beside them to answer problems and provide station/train security at each location. all for $1.50 per 1 way trip.

yah i can dream. oh wait, asian countries already all adopt this.

gogo reactive city council. way to not be proactive. lets spend more on our city parks right?

http://www.smrt.com.sg/trains.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Rapid_Transit_(Singapore)

zomg screen doors to prevent getting hit?!?! NO WAY!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f6/Ns24dhobyghaut.jpg/800px-

http://jawaexpress.com/destination/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/faregates.JPG
barriers for fare payment, security control center is to the right of picture.

http://jawaexpress.com/destination/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/mrt_plasma.JPG
arrival time notification.

gotta admit, its way safer and more efficient though..
You swipe your card and when you swipe your card again to leave a station, the computer automatically takes out the right amount of money based on how far of a train ride you took. Its also smart to have glass protecting people from being pushed onto the tracks like in hk ^-^

ianmcc
01-24-2008, 07:51 AM
It's Mother Nature's way of culling the herd.