PDA

View Full Version : M3

Repofspeed
01-23-2008, 01:23 AM
How are the E36's compared to the newer generations and when does the next face lift happen past the E92 gen ?

TegLover
01-23-2008, 01:37 AM
The E36's were not really true M3's as they were horribly underpowered...at least for north american M3's anyways. They are still great cars though, i almost picked one up, but an E46 M3 gets you the right amount of power for wearing an M3 badge.

benyl
01-23-2008, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by TegLover
The E36's were not really true M3's as they were horribly underpowered...at least for north american M3's anyways. They are still great cars though, i almost picked one up, but an E46 M3 gets you the right amount of power for wearing an M3 badge.

Have you ever driven an E36 M3? You really don't know what you are talking about.

The e46 M3 got fat. That is why it needed the extra power.

As far as the face lift goes, the e90 is due in 2009 or 2010. Since the e92 just came out, who knows if it will be facelifted. The e92 M3 will not likely get a facelift much like the e46 M3 never got one.

Redlyne_mr2
01-23-2008, 09:26 AM
e36 m3's were super reliable, decently light, great little weekend track car. I'm not sure what you would consider a true m3.

Strider
01-23-2008, 10:08 AM
At 240hp, the USDM E36 m3 does seem a bit watered down, no? I'm sure it was plenty power for its time, but nowadays, kids in Civics and Hyundais will get the last laugh... The euro spec (286hp) and the Evo (321hp) is a lot more worthy of the //M

benyl
01-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Strider
At 240hp, the USDM E36 m3 does seem a bit watered down, no? I'm sure it was plenty power for its time, but nowadays, kids in Civics and Hyundais will get the last laugh... The euro spec (286hp) and the Evo (321hp) is a lot more worthy of the //M

Not driving around the track they won't.

buh_buh
01-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I'm not sure what you would consider a true m3. Albeit with even less power, e30m3. But I'd consider the e36m3 more of a true m3 than the e46m3, although they're all great cars.

Rabb
01-23-2008, 12:52 PM
the true M3 is still the E30

love that box on wheels

Kaos
01-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Rabb
the true M3 is still the E30

love that box on wheels

:werd:

I still remember seeing a mint condition red E30 M3 with work wheels driving around and the thing only had 40 XXXX KM on it.

ZorroAMG
01-23-2008, 01:07 PM
So according to Teglover (oh the irony) the E30 M3 must have been a J-body equivalent, having only 192hp

:rolleyes:

funkedelic
01-23-2008, 01:17 PM
i dont consider the e36 m3s to be very reliable, the e46 also has things that will break. I have driven both and although the e36 doesn't make as much power as the e46, it is still a fantastic car.

We haven't even gotten the e90 m3's in Canada yet, why are you worried about the next ones after that? The body style will most likely run 5 years long

rage2
01-23-2008, 02:01 PM
e36 m3's were super reliable
*ahem* rear subframe *ahem*

haha.

Redlyne_mr2
01-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by rage2

*ahem* rear subframe *ahem*

haha.
hahah maybe im comparing it to 944/951 because all of the people who owned those cars also had an e36 m3 and they would always post about how reliable and great their bimmer was compared to their porsche.

rage2
01-23-2008, 03:26 PM
hahah maybe im comparing it to 944/951 because all of the people who owned those cars also had an e36 m3 and they would always post about how reliable and great their bimmer was compared to their porsche.
That's like comparing a steak to a burger patty, there's no comparison. 944/951's have made many a Porsche owner wannabe broke :rofl:.

403Gemini
01-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Would anybody recommend a e36 as a daily driver?

three.eighteen.
01-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
Would anybody recommend a e36 as a daily driver?

yeah definitely, i only owned a 318 but, the m50/52 engines (basis for the usdm s50/52 m3 engines) are super reliable (other than water pump impeller failures, which im sure are mostly replaced by now)

the galvanized sheetmetal also seems to stand up to rust/dings better than most japanese cars

TegLover
01-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Have you ever driven an E36 M3? You really don't know what you are talking about.

The e46 M3 got fat. That is why it needed the extra power.

As far as the face lift goes, the e90 is due in 2009 or 2010. Since the e92 just came out, who knows if it will be facelifted. The e92 M3 will not likely get a facelift much like the e46 M3 never got one.

e36 m3's were super reliable, decently light, great little weekend track car. I'm not sure what you would consider a true m3.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
So according to Teglover (oh the irony) the E30 M3 must have been a J-body equivalent, having only 192hp

:rolleyes:

Oh right! this is why i love beyond.

benyl: NOO i haven't driven one that's why i ALMOST bought one DUH.

Redlyne_mr2: True M3? E46 is more "true". Hence my statement about Northamerican E36 M3's, if you have no idea about the european E36 M3's then i suggest you do some research.

ZorroAMG: lets assume i said that then douchebag.

Looks like reading owns the three of you, i bet i've owned bmw's longer then you guys have been driving. What's even funnier is some of you guys don't even own one, let alone ever driven one. Yeah don't let my username fool you. Jokes on you posers. :rolleyes:

ZorroAMG
01-23-2008, 06:30 PM
LOL cause that's possible, kid. Profile button ownz j00.

TegLover
01-23-2008, 06:43 PM
LOL cause that's possible, kid. Profile button ownz j00.

what happened? did you run out of genuinely good arguments that hold weight? Oh, that's right you didn't have any to begin with. Thanks for coming out though. Where can i get some of those super blue riced out fog lights like those on your car? ebay? walmart? junkyard? actually never mind i changed my mind. :zzz:

Canmorite
01-23-2008, 06:56 PM

what happened? did you run out of genuinely good arguments that hold weight? Oh, that's right you didn't have any to begin with. Thanks for coming out though. Where can i get some of those super blue riced out fog lights like those on your car? ebay? walmart? junkyard? actually never mind i changed my mind. :zzz:

Zorro's car is ricey?

:rofl:

Impreza
01-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Where's the popcorn?

Teglover: What are you smoking? How can you not consider an E36 M3 a "true" M3? I consider E36M3(username) to have a wealth of experience with tons of awesome cars.... see what he says about your comments. All you have done in this thread is demonstrate that you know nothing about cars....

ZorroAMG
01-23-2008, 08:51 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

dj_rice
01-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
Where's the popcorn?

Teglover: What are you smoking? How can you not consider an E36 M3 a "true" M3? I consider E36M3(username) to have a wealth of experience with tons of awesome cars.... see what he says about your comments. All you have done in this thread is demonstrate that you know nothing about cars....

Cmon, dont be so hard on him, he knows a lil about cars, his name is TegLover isnt it? :rolleyes:

And .....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jeeze Zorro, PIAA Fogs....how ricer can you get...;) trade those in for a set of APC Fast and Furious line fogs

Redlyne_mr2
01-23-2008, 09:52 PM
teglover what do I need to research? An e36 m3 is just as much of an m3 as an e46.

TegLover
01-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Where's the popcorn?

And with your comment you sure demonstrated that you know more then i do about cars, oh wait all you said was E36M3(username) knows cars. Hmm guess not then but thanks for coming out too you fool. Go re-read my original post and try reading between the lines as to why i don't consider it a true M3 (hint: the NA version).

Originally posted by dj_rice

Cmon, dont be so hard on him, he knows a lil about cars, his name is TegLover isnt it? :rolleyes:

And .....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jeeze Zorro, PIAA Fogs....how ricer can you get...;) trade those in for a set of APC Fast and Furious line fogs

WOW, i wish i had the luxury to troll 98% of the threads on beyond. Not really though! you should get a life, a job and moving out of your parents house would be a great start and maybe get rid of your hentai stash you loser.

teglover what do I need to research? An e36 m3 is just as much of an m3 as an e46.

How come you people suck so bad at reading? couldn't finish high school?

I don't consider it to be a true M3 because North America got shafted with an underpowered version due to emission. If the E30 or the E46 was like that, then, well i wouldn't consider it a true M3 either but it's NOT. Plus an E46 M3 has many different features that distinguishes it from a 3-series. SOOOO E36 compared with E46, the predecessor isn't a "true M3" IMO, there i said it again!

Now for anyone else who wants to challenge my opinion i ask you to bring some REAL supporting facts and evidence for your arguments or don't waste my time.:drama:

ZorroAMG
01-23-2008, 10:38 PM
BMW considers it an M3. That's why the called it an M3 and why they sold it as an M3.

STFU for all Mankind with regard to this argument, you look stupid.

Thanks.

Impreza
01-23-2008, 10:40 PM
What about the E46 M3 CSL... NA never got it, so does that mean the E46 M3 is not a real E46 M3?? ..since NA got shafted??

TegLover
01-23-2008, 10:45 PM
BMW considers it an M3. That's why the called it an M3 and why they sold it as an M3.

STFU for all Mankind with regard to this argument, you look stupid.

Thanks.

um DUH? I never once said E36 M3s weren't M3s idiot. Why do you always come out with these retarded arguments to make yourself look stupid? because you are?

Have you ever took a spin in an E36 and compare it to the E46 maybe even an E30? better yet have you even driven anything other then your old school benz?

Maybe you should STFU and GTFO, again your arguments are weak and don't hold any water. Stop wasting my time.

Thanks.

benyl
01-23-2008, 10:48 PM

benyl: NOO i haven't driven one that's why i ALMOST bought one DUH.

Looks like reading owns the three of you, i bet i've owned bmw's longer then you guys have been driving. What's even funnier is some of you guys don't even own one, let alone ever driven one. Yeah don't let my username fool you. Jokes on you posers. :rolleyes:

Wow, we have live one here. I am really excited that you almost bought one. I can sleep better at night knowing that you ALMOST bought one.

I think you really need to read this thread:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150630&perpage=40&highlight=&pagenumber=1

BTW - for those of us that's driven one, they're not that much faster than the 240hp us spec M3's. In fact, I've seen on numerous occasions US spec M3's with I/H/E that can easily outrun the 286hp euro spec cars.

Originally posted by E36M3
I've driven the euro 3.0L E36, the euro 3.2L E36 and the euro E46 CSL, all of which are nice cars, but all are overrated.

The US Spec E36M3s are better in both cases for regular driving in my opinion. They have lower torque curves (power comes on sooner) and are more comfortable to drive due to more realistic suspension setups.

I've also driven the Euro 3.2L E36 with the SMG transmission which is awful, although the SMG2 is fantastic (on the E46) and even better on the CSL.

The Euro 3.2L is slightly faster than 3.0L E36 (whereas the US spec 3.0L and 3.2L are almost identical because of the burden of OBDII on the 3.2L) and very peaky (makes power high in the rev range). Think of the Euro spec cars more like a Honda VTEC (think NSX) and the US Spec cars more like a V8 with very linear power.

I love both the 3.0L and 3.2L E36 Euro cars, but they are more fun on the track then on the street, and I would prefer the US Spec (I am a bit biased as I owned a 3.0L E36M3 at one time, but I have driven and owned a lot of great cars and it still stands out as one of my favorites of all time)

The CSL is a hyper car and very fun, but I would prefer a 911 GT3 as in Europe the prices are quite similar. Both make the F430 and other cars like it seem overpriced, but neither is even close to a match.

TegLover
01-23-2008, 10:49 PM
What about the E46 M3 CSL... NA never got it, so does that mean the E46 M3 is not a real E46 M3?? ..since NA got shafted??

man you're such an idiot, do you even know what the CSL version is? that's right didn't think so. Now do you know how much the CSL cost compared to a regular M3?

Google is your best friend bud. :thumbsdow

Redlyne_mr2
01-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Wow why are you thugging so much .. I only asked a simple question. You didn't need to respond like a 12 year old.

Many cars here are restricted due to emissions, mr2, various porsches, various bimmers, that doesn't mean they're any less of a car. I understand the point you're trying to make, it's not nearly as beefed up as the e30 or e46 m3's are but it's a great performing car nonetheless, far better than it's regular 3 series counterpart so as far as myself and BMW are concerned, it's an m3.

Impreza
01-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Teglover: M3's are not all about power buddy! Saying that the E36 M3 is horribly underpowered is quite a statement. Hell, look at the E92 M3 compared to its competitors! There is also an element to cars called handling...

I brought up the CSL comment because it seems as though you feel that because there is a version of the M3 with more power, the lower powered versions aren't worthy of the badge..

I'm done arguing with you. All this thread has done is tell me that you are one arrogant bastard. In fact, you really should be driving a BMW if you don't already have one, cause you really seem to have the characteristic personality of a BMW driver...lol

ZorroAMG
01-23-2008, 11:05 PM

1. um DUH? I never once said E36 M3s weren't M3s idiot. Why do you always come out with these retarded arguments to make yourself look stupid? because you are?

2. Have you ever took a spin in an E36 and compare it to the E46 maybe even an E30? better yet have you even driven anything other then your old school benz?

3. Maybe you should STFU and GTFO, again your arguments are weak and don't hold any water. Stop wasting my time.

Thanks.

1. Yes, you implied it in an asshole-ish way. That's why the internet hates you right now.

2. Yes. Yes, stupid question, pay better attention on Beyond.

3. Nah, I think I'll stay and watch you look more stupid.

You're welcome.

TegLover
01-23-2008, 11:07 PM
Wow why are you thugging so much .. I only asked a simple question. You didn't need to respond like a 12 year old.

Many cars here are restricted due to emissions, mr2, various porsches, various bimmers, that doesn't mean they're any less of a car. I understand the point you're trying to make, it's not nearly as beefed up as the e30 or e46 m3's are but it's a great performing car nonetheless, far better than it's regular 3 series counterpart so as far as myself and BMW are concerned, it's an m3.

huh? you mean this comment: "How come you people suck so bad at reading? couldn't finish high school? "
That wasn't directed to you it's for the two quotes before yours.

I never once said it wasn't an M3 nor did i say you shouldn't call it the M3. In my opinion i don't think its true when compared to other M3's, also thats why i mentioned the E46 in my original post.

Not talking about performance here since i already mentioned they are detuned. But any jackass can go out and make a regular E36 look like an M3. You cannot do the same with the E46 or E92. The E46 M3 has widened fenders whish allows you to fit some aggressive offset wheels, whereas you can't really do that with the E36.

Also don't quote me but i don't think that the E36's had the ITBs. Which in turns restricts airflow, wouldn't that be a downside? From what i understand all other M3's had ITB's in their engines.

AGAIN it all comes down to it being MY opinion and i personally didn't like the E36 as much as the E46 M3 for many reasons. All i ask is if you want to challenge that then have some concrete arguments.

buh_buh
01-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Teglover, I'm surprised you don't already own a M3, because douches like you really belong in one, and uphold the stereotype of douchebag BMW drivers. Keep up the douchebaggery :thumbsup:

Altezza
01-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Teglover: Keep digging...your hole is getting bigger.

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/235000/235137ChJG_w.jpg

finboy
01-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Teglover, I'm surprised you don't already own a M3, because douches like you really belong in one, and uphold the stereotype of douchebag BMW drivers. Keep up the douchebaggery :thumbsup:

/thread

rage2
01-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Teglover: M3's are not all about power buddy! Saying that the E36 M3 is horribly underpowered is quite a statement. Hell, look at the E92 M3 compared to its competitors! There is also an element to cars called handling...
The E46 M3 is underpowered. Power isn't everything, but it's plays a huge role. A great handling car that's underpowered is like a super hot chicks with no tits.

:rofl:

962 kid
01-24-2008, 12:34 AM

Sig material for sure!

A2VR6
01-24-2008, 12:40 AM
I dont know why, but after driven both the E36 and E46 M3, I thought the E36 was more fun to drive, despite having less power and it being older.

nismodrifter
01-24-2008, 12:43 AM
E36 w/tinted windshield > E46

Kaos
01-24-2008, 01:16 AM
Stop bugging Teglover guys.
He know's his BMW's. He ALMOST bought one.
:D

finboy
01-24-2008, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Kaos
Stop bugging Teglover guys.
He know's his BMW's. He ALMOST bought one.
:D

he ALMOST avoided being stupid too, too bad for him

funkedelic
01-24-2008, 08:38 AM
I don't understand why Teglover is trash talking like he knows his facts about M3's, you almost bought one? Have you owned both and driven them for a long period of time and actually realized the potential of either car? No i didn't think so.

You ALMOST bought one. Both are great cars, all are worthy of the badge. Have you noticed a trend in the m3? From the E30 to the E90, they have put bigger engines and have increased power and performance as they go along. You can't compare an 80's M to an 08, they were both built at different times, and technology has advanced since the first M3's were ever built.

I wouldn't say that 240hp back in the mid 90's was exactly under powered. The M3 is a race inspired car, combined with a daily driver, It may not have always had the biggest and baddest motors compared to its competition but these cars are built to handle better then anything else out there, not just to go fast in a straight line.

Its assholes like you that make every other BMW Owner seem like douschebags, just stfu until you can actually afford to own one

Kaos
01-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by finboy

he ALMOST avoided being stupid too, too bad for him

I take insult to that Finboy, wanna fight about it? :poosie:

97'Scort
01-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Speaking as an E36 owner, but having driven the E46, the E36 is much better balanced and, with less power, still handles better than the fat E46. I personally like firm, balanced cornering better than a few more ponies.

TegLover
01-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic
I don't understand why Teglover is trash talking like he knows his facts about M3's, you almost bought one? Have you owned both and driven them for a long period of time and actually realized the potential of either car? No i didn't think so.

You ALMOST bought one. Both are great cars, all are worthy of the badge. Have you noticed a trend in the m3? From the E30 to the E90, they have put bigger engines and have increased power and performance as they go along. You can't compare an 80's M to an 08, they were both built at different times, and technology has advanced since the first M3's were ever built.

I wouldn't say that 240hp back in the mid 90's was exactly under powered. The M3 is a race inspired car, combined with a daily driver, It may not have always had the biggest and baddest motors compared to its competition but these cars are built to handle better then anything else out there, not just to go fast in a straight line.

Its assholes like you that make every other BMW Owner seem like douschebags, just stfu until you can actually afford to own one

this is exactly the retard comments i expect nothing less of from beyond. First off buddy i never told any of you what i drive and because you guys suck so bad at reading you couldn't comprehend that i ALMOST bought an E36 instead of an E46.

I can't afford my E46 M3? look who's talking? coming from the guy who bought his M3 from the states. What did you get $5000 off from the Canadian ones that YOU couldn't afford? STFU buddy atleast i didn't have my car done up for me by someone else.

Yes, i own a bmw so i must be a douchebag and drive like one as well :rolleyes:

rage2
01-24-2008, 12:17 PM

I can't afford my E46 M3? look who's talking? coming from the guy who bought his M3 from the states. What did you get $5000 off from the Canadian ones that YOU couldn't afford? STFU buddy atleast i didn't have my car done up for me by someone else.

You both look like BMW douchbags to me :rofl:. That's why I'm going back to Benz's lol.

Kaos
01-24-2008, 12:18 PM

this is exactly the retard comments i expect nothing less of from beyond. First off buddy i never told any of you what i drive and because you guys suck so bad at reading you couldn't comprehend that i ALMOST bought an E36 instead of an E46.

I think he's actually smart because he saved money.
Not that he couldn't afford it.

Kaos
01-24-2008, 12:19 PM
You both look like BMW douchbags to me :rofl:. That's why I'm going back to Benz's lol.

I thought Benz's were driven by old, stuck up people.
How old are you again :poosie:

rage2
01-24-2008, 12:19 PM
I think he's actually smart because he saved money.
Not that he couldn't afford it.
I couldn't afford a real (cdn) M3, so I had to buy mine from the states too.

rage2
01-24-2008, 12:20 PM
I thought Benz's were driven by old, stuck up people.
How old are you again :poosie:
Well I'm both, so it fits me perfectly! LOL

BerserkerCatSplat
01-24-2008, 12:27 PM

I'm going to assume that's probably a safe assumption.

...if it drives like a douche, talks like a douche, and looks like a douche, it's probably a BMW driver.

/yay for broad generalizations!

benyl
01-24-2008, 12:28 PM

I couldn't afford a real (cdn) M3, so I had to buy mine from the states too.

Me too.

Benz is too bling for me. Maybe when I grow up I will be able to afford a blingmobile like rage2. Until then, I will continue to be a douche.

ZorroAMG
01-24-2008, 12:30 PM
But I'm a douche and I drive a Benz...:dunno:

LMAO at Teglover and this thread!

finboy
01-24-2008, 01:00 PM

I take insult to that Finboy, wanna fight about it? :poosie:

its ON bish :poosie: :rofl:

funkedelic
01-24-2008, 01:01 PM
haha oh man im laughing so hard right now!

Yes its true, i know its shameful.. i did buy my car from the states, saving money.. what was i thinking?! :confused:

You haven't told anybody what you drive because it is prob an integra, hence the name "teglover", i'm just throwing it out there.. if you drove something better then that i'm sure you would have already said what it was.. and then stated that you would know because you can afford a better car then me and reminded me that reading owns us all!

:dunno:

Am i right?! ..

Team_Mclaren
01-24-2008, 02:34 PM

Yes, i own a bmw so i must be a douchebag

winnarrrr

Euro_Trash
01-24-2008, 02:49 PM

This sentence seems to contradict itself with the "I drive a BMW which you can't afford so I am better then you" attitude...

buh_buh
01-24-2008, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash

This sentence seems to contradict itself with the "I drive a BMW which you can't afford so I am better then you" attitude... hence, bmw owners=douchebags. It actually makes perfect sense.