PDA

View Full Version : calgary autoworks

tunedautos
01-23-2008, 08:04 PM

marimba
01-23-2008, 08:17 PM
the cat that works the desk there is a real twat. but the guy that owns it (lawrence) is awesome. he did some crazy tuning on my turbo set up and got me almost a hundred extra horse out of it!!! unfortunetly that douche works the counter....hopefully he'll be gone soon!!

Dj_Stylz
01-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Really? Last week i went there and had a good experience. I ordered my coilovers from them should be here before the end of next week.

tunedautos
01-23-2008, 08:24 PM

marimba
01-23-2008, 09:00 PM
i guess thats the only reasonable explanation:dunno: not like the fact that its hard to open a new business and pay your techs a 100k a year....cause thats what licensed guys are making in calgary right now. how do i know....because i am one. as per the exhause there must be more to this story than just "i went to buy a cat back and the price went to $2200 for no reason" casue that doesnt happen. theres so many variables. the way i figure it, if oyu dont know what oyur talking about why say bad mouth someones business......the guys trying to make a living and a striving business. and on top of it lawrence is the most passionite person i have ever met about cars and racing so everyone should be watching there sucess

CelicaST-162
01-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Lawrence is a great guy! Stand up and honest guy! I find it hard to believe that a bill from 1000 went to 2200 without consulting one of you. The guy that works the counter, well lets just say he can sure use some improvement. I have ALWAYS had good experiences there....

Jason Lange
01-23-2008, 09:26 PM
I have nothing but good stuff to say aswell. Seem like stand up guys. Not sure if you know about a little thing that shops do called "mark up"? That is how people stay in business. So what if his HID's are more expensive. He has a shop to pay for aswell as employees and he will back the product. He gives you a place to go to when you have questions and will certainly help you if something goes wrong. I speak from experience because I own a shop aswell.

Daan
01-27-2008, 03:31 AM
the owner was abusing your understandable HID ignorance Tuned. go to bigger shops as this one might not be around when / if you return with them under warranty !

cr-xbrian
09-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Well ya see Shane, i can see where your coming from and how your so upset with calgary autoworks, but they were only trying to help you out by sending you to school.You NEED your ticket to work at calgary autoworks. Theres not need to bash them on the internet because you had a hissy fit after they told you you needed to go to school and you didnt want to so they let you go. The only times ive delt with C.A.W ive been more than happy with the work they did and the price they charged me. This just seems to me an ex-calgary autoworks employee trying to fuck over the business by giving them a bad name. My honest opinion on these guys are that they are great and provide awsome service for anything ive thrown at them.

Its people like you tunedautos that make yourself look like bigger twats for trying to bash your ex-boss.
From what I heard he was going to pay for you to go to school so you could actually get your red seal rather than being a backyard mechanic all your life.
Some people can’t be grateful

ps. Shane, schools cool!

zipdoa
09-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Calgary Autoworks tends to be more expensive than other mechanics, but I realize the value in going to a shop that specializes on your vehicle.

jackrabbitslim
09-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by cr-xbrian
Well ya see Shane, i can see where your coming from and how your so upset with calgary autoworks, but they were only trying to help you out by sending you to school.You NEED your ticket to work at calgary autoworks. Theres not need to bash them on the internet because you had a hissy fit after they told you you needed to go to school and you didnt want to so they let you go. The only times ive delt with C.A.W ive been more than happy with the work they did and the price they charged me. This just seems to me an ex-calgary autoworks employee trying to fuck over the business by giving them a bad name. My honest opinion on these guys are that they are great and provide awsome service for anything ive thrown at them.

Its people like you tunedautos that make yourself look like bigger twats for trying to bash your ex-boss.
From what I heard he was going to pay for you to go to school so you could actually get your red seal rather than being a backyard mechanic all your life.

ps. Shane, schools cool!

Well said Brian! I've know both Sam and Lawrence on a personal and professional level. Sam does a good job behind the counter, he searches for rare parts with few industry contacts and tries his best to get good deals, with a good success rate. Lawrence is very talented, both as a mechanic and fabricator. His dyno works speaks for itself. I think this is a case of sour grapes and sabotage, have fun in your backyard Shane!

Bryan

Jason Lange
09-30-2009, 02:39 PM

ps. Shane, schools cool!

Way to bring a thread back from 2 years ago...

zipdoa
04-13-2010, 10:53 AM
BACK FROM THE DEAD:

here's a story for you guys.

I just bought a UrS4 off Shane, who talked shit about Calgary Autoworks.

long story short, UrS4 axle fell off last night, various other problems with it. he said that he drilled holes in the airbox and thats why it was humming. bullshit, it was because the diverter valve was broken.

basically, talked to calgary autoworks this morning and Sam at the front counter said Shane used to help em out, but that he had messed up Sam's engine swap and was a monkey backyard mechanic.

Anyway, i'm pissed that my axle fell off among various other problems with the vehicle that shane lied about.

more info to come as i get my car inspected.

i just wanted to stand up for CAW cause they ARE a GREAT shop with GREAT info and lots of intelligent advice.

EDIT:

Shane also said that a $15 no-name chip from portugal would give my car 340hp/380ft/lbs with no mods other than the chip. He said audis can do this because they are audis, not hondas. fucking ridiculous.

R-Audi
04-13-2010, 03:42 PM
I have mixed feelings toward C.A.W.... but admittedly I've only physically been in the shop once.
I ordered a part and was quoted a certain price.. only to go pick it up and have the guy tell me that was the US price before shipping... I was pretty pissed off when the price was ~$100 more..so he knocked off a few percent on the X-rate. (Not good enough considering it was a shit rate... but it helped) End of story it would have been cheaper to buy from 034 Motorsports myself....

Anyways.. between that and seeing what they did to their S4 (FMIC with front bumper hacked to shit) Im not so sure I will be bringing my car in there... For service its Tunedub for me.

cr-xbrian
04-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
I have mixed feelings toward C.A.W.... but admittedly I've only physically been in the shop once.
I ordered a part and was quoted a certain price.. only to go pick it up and have the guy tell me that was the US price before shipping... I was pretty pissed off when the price was ~$100 more..so he knocked off a few percent on the X-rate. (Not good enough considering it was a shit rate... but it helped) End of story it would have been cheaper to buy from 034 Motorsports myself....

Anyways.. between that and seeing what they did to their S4 (FMIC with front bumper hacked to shit) Im not so sure I will be bringing my car in there... For service its Tunedub for me.

:facepalm:

R-Audi
04-14-2010, 08:26 AM

:facepalm:

So its fair to be quoted $427 for something so you order it, show up and they charge you $550?

And considering they have used that S4 in shows, and the bumper is hacked to pieces? Certainly not something I would want on my car, when there are TONS of people who have installed that same FMIC without touching the bumper.

Not quite sure what your face palm is about.....

Nissan162
05-24-2010, 11:21 PM
I happen to know Sam personally and every time i've needed assistance he has been extremely helpful, and every person i know who has gone there have found both Sam and Lawrence to be extremely knowledgeable and professional

CUG
05-25-2010, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by tunedautos
So what explains the fact that both he's mechanics he had had quit after only 6 months... Must mean he cant run a shop properly... And to boot... My friend got some service done and the original quote was completey different then what his bill was when he went to go pick it up... Like a quote of $1000 to $2200 When he went to pick it up!!!! FOR A DAMN EXHAUST SYSTEM!!!!! Scam Artists!!!

Hi,

You're a fucking tool who is obviously trying to smear a shop for your own personal gain (judging by your name).

The breakdown:
-You flame a shop

-Wait to see if it's safe after a few posts

-Recommend your shop

You're an idiot, fuck off

soulmeetsbody12
05-25-2010, 03:00 AM
yeah lawrence knows what he's doing. The s4 with the "hacked up bumper" was johns car (his brother, and one of the tech's who left to pursue a different career) and he did his work HIMSELF. His car though built at the shop, doesnt represent the shop itself in terms of how they operate. How they build their own cars, is more a reflection of function over form... on a customer car it would be a different story.

Have you seen the 1000AWHP (thats right all wheel) GOLF lawrence built? Or the 500HP drop top 240 Marc built? How about the legions of vw's and audi's they continue to build?

They get my stamp of approval.

LUDELVR
05-25-2010, 10:43 AM
yeah, I have nothing but good things to say about this shop! Awesome guy and awesome work! Very helpful and in my mind always puts the customer first.

As I said, I'm sad that he's leaving towards greener pastures but hopefully he'll still be around.

:thumbsup:

R-Audi
05-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by soulmeetsbody12
yeah lawrence knows what he's doing. The s4 with the "hacked up bumper" was johns car (his brother, and one of the tech's who left to pursue a different career) and he did his work HIMSELF. His car though built at the shop, doesnt represent the shop itself in terms of how they operate. How they build their own cars, is more a reflection of function over form... on a customer car it would be a different story.

I dont care whose car it was.. it was parked out front of their shop and used in shows under their banner. It looked like shit and reflects poorly.

At the end of the day it doesnt matter, but buying parts through CAW cost me more then buying directly through the supplier. (and I feel that I was given bunk advice)

Anyways.. my post was a month old before someone felt the need to dig it up. Quit beating a dead horse here. Leo made a post praising them, and you didnt see people with negative experiences chime in.

LUDELVR
05-25-2010, 02:29 PM

Leo made a post praising them, and you didnt see people with negative experiences chime in.

That's exactly it. I had a good experience and that thread was to report my PERSONAL experience with MY dynoing. I didn't buy anything, nor did I have any work done to my car, so my review was solely based on that aspect of their services and their communication with me.

I cannot comment on their parts/sales side because I have not dealt with it.

Obviously, the OP that started this thread had a negative review and felt it fare to share with his vehicular peers. This is important because people need to hear comments that may affect their purchase or service provider.

:thumbsup:

R-Audi
05-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Im guessing much like most shops, it depends who you talk to in terms of the service and advice you receive. I've heard lots of good things about CAW, I just had a bad experience the first time I went in.

LUDELVR
05-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Im guessing much like most shops, it depends who you talk to in terms of the service and advice you receive. I've heard lots of good things about CAW, I just had a bad experience the first time I went in.

That's it right there. I've gone to some very reputable shops and people have sung their praises time and time again, yet I have had a less than noteworthy exprience myself.

The same has gone the other way too. I've gone to some dodgy places but have received excellent service, but in the end, I reckon sometimes people just luck out even at a shop that is quite good. :dunno:

J@TheBeacon
05-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Lude, is he heading up to GP forever? Wat? I thought they just put the dyno in the floor?

LUDELVR
05-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by J@TheBeacon
Lude, is he heading up to GP forever? Wat? I thought they just put the dyno in the floor?

Yeah, apparently he'll be moving up but the shop will still be here. He also said that he'd be making his way back and forth with his portable dyno so he'll still be doing tuning.

jabjab
12-30-2014, 06:27 PM
I just went to CAW on christmas eve to get a remap done on my car.They picked me up from the train station when it was done which was nice of them.

They suspected I had a boost leak but didn't end up charging me for it after they hooked it up and found out that there was none. Very honest of them and I'll probably go back to them.

cam_wmh
12-30-2014, 07:57 PM
Chris & Colin, are both fantastic.

It's where my Golf R will be going from now on.