PDA

View Full Version : Pason Systems

IncredibleToad
01-24-2008, 04:27 PM
I've got an interview scheduled with Pason Systems and just wanted to know if anyone has had experience working at or with this company. I would love to hear about what you think and how it's like to work there.

Its for a mech engg internship (office position afaik) and i want to know more about the work and the overall experience anyone has had with them, or just anything they've heard about Pason. Maybe things like starting pay, training, career, etc

Thanks!

98brg2d
01-24-2008, 04:38 PM
I am sure many people here have dealt with Pason but probably few have worked for them. Is it an office job or field work? If it is field work think long hours, lots of driving and bad working conditions. You would be setting up sensors and cabling on drilling rigs. In the office I am not sure what you would be doing, maybe spec'ing new sensors and designing brackets, depth trackers etc, maybe writing some code for the calculations that a Pason unit does, maybe checking sensors that were giving problems.

Not to deter you but here is a little story:

I was pulling up all the cabling after we finished the well (mostly the cabling to my shack) and it ran from my shack to the back of the rig manager shack where somebody had pulled off the sewer pipe. Everything had piled up and froze on top of one of the cables so I left it. When the tech showed up I handed him a 5' breaker bar and told him where to find the cable runs. I think one of the drillers ended up taking him a steam hose to help thaw everything! So gross, I couldn't even stand the smell when it was frozen! Unfortunately that wasn't the only shit steam bath that was taken on that job!

I think they are a good company and do a very good job at what they do and their office staff and field staff are always very friendly and helpful.

lewdvig
01-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Pason is an awesome company - hockey rink out back!

They make a product that has 85% market share in Canada and is gaining share in the US. Their competitor in Canada was/is Chimo.

Most of my energy sector clients really like it, and it is a vital part of their business.

The only risk is that they get bought by another company at some point.

IncredibleToad
01-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Sorry I should have clarified, this is going to be an office position.
Thanks for the input so far!

Have any of you worked for them in the past? If so, what position?

Oh and 98brg2d, that sounded like a shitty deal :rofl:

cosmok
01-24-2008, 11:29 PM
If you get a job there get them to unlock Shaw's mail servers so that the computer illiterate consultants out there can use Outlook instead of web access. Man that causes a lot of headaches.

boredengineer
01-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by IncredibleToad

Its for a mech engg internship (office position afaik) and i want to know more about the work and the overall experience anyone has had with them, or just anything they've heard about Pason. Maybe things like starting pay, training, career, etc

:dunno: Not 100% convinced you should be working there as a mech guy. It might not prove to be very relevant to your career path after school is all... Make sure you grill them about ensuring that the work you will be doing will actually benefit you when you are out there looking for a real job. A lot of people *especially* the people who go to sweden get terrible internship that consist of creating documentation or making excell macros. Just be careful is all. Great company though but they are more of a software shop than anything although they do some mech stuff too at times. Just make sure you are not doing loads of software work is all... Starting pay will be pretty decent they pay rather well.

IncredibleToad
01-25-2008, 01:22 AM
^^ I had the same thoughts when I was on their website and learning more about them. The position itself is "Mechanical Design Engineering Intern" and the job description does tend to lean more towards mech related tasks and not as heavily involved in the software aspect, for example there is some hardware design and implementation, etc...

From my understanding they do a lot of software work...but in terms of what the tasks are for this particular position, thats what I intend to find out about exactly, at the interview. But thanks for the heads-up boredengineer, appreciated!

Keep em comin everyone!

broken_legs
01-25-2008, 02:40 AM
I have no idea what a mechanical engineer would be doing at Pason

Perhaps designing new sensors, depth encoders?

Perhaps working on a new satellite dish setup?

Pason is a system that monitors all the mechanics at the rig like RPM, Weight on bit, hook load, torque, etc. Its basically a software program that displays all that information on workstations and sends it back to calgary via satellite so people can see whats happening at the rig remotely.

Perfect Dark
01-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Pason seems like a decent company from the guys I have talked to. They run their equipment on most of our rigs, and it is so much nicer than the company we own (Epoch).

I don't know how many times I have had to go out to switch over to Pason when our system crapped out.

Euro_Trash
01-25-2008, 08:47 AM
My buddy is a Mech and working for them in the office currently. He is working on a "mud machine" to eliminate the need for a mud man. Sounds like they are expanding their business a little

lint
01-23-2013, 12:22 PM
5 year bump, anyone still around at Pason?