PDA

View Full Version : is there anyway to transfer the license plate?

red325
01-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Well,,,,,I bought a car and put it under my brother name to save insurance.
and now I am going to sell the car and get a new car; however, I really like the license plate...
so I want to keep it.
is there anyway to transfer the license plate?

rojhero
01-24-2008, 04:47 PM
I tried to do that this summer and unfortunately the license plate can only be transferred to different cars if the owner remains the same.

Nate
01-24-2008, 04:51 PM
No. I wanted to do something similar. I was told at the registries that the liscense plate is associated with the person, and can not be transfered to someone else.

Proboscis
01-25-2008, 01:40 PM
I heard you can transfer one time if it's a family member. ie Dad, Mom, brother or sister.

flipstah
02-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Proboscis
I heard you can transfer one time if it's a family member. ie Dad, Mom, brother or sister.

Revive an old thread to inquire if it's possible to do a transfer of license plate ownership within my immediate family.

That is all. :)

Masked Bandit
02-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Nope. Last year I tried to have a plate move from my wife & I to just myself and they wouldn't do it. Total pain in the ass.

ExtraSlow
02-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Nope. Last year I tried to have a plate move from my wife & I to just myself and they wouldn't do it. Total pain in the ass.
Crap. That's one reason I will never let my wife own a car again. I'll own them all. I'm getting rid of a car we "both" are listed on, and it looks like I can't use that plate for anything else.
Also complicates my insurance paperwork.

flipstah
02-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Fuck me. Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

dannie
02-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Proboscis

That only applies in 3 situations.

1- Personalized licence plate can be transferred from one owner to another provided the people are related. Once it's done, it can't be done again

2- The owner of the standard issue licence plate is deceased and a family member wants to keep the plate for sentimental reasons

3- The registry clerk eff'd up and registered the car to the wrong person and they need to correct the error.

93mr2gt
02-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Registry doesnt like it, but it is do-able. It is a lot easier for customized plates

lilmira
02-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Number 2 it is. Accidental gun shot wound in the head. Is a picture of the corpse ok or do I still need a death certificate?

FraserB
02-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by dannie

That only applies in 3 situations.

1- Personalized licence plate can be transferred from one owner to another provided the people are related. Once it's done, it can't be done again

2- The owner of the standard issue licence plate is deceased and a family member wants to keep the plate for sentimental reasons

3- The registry clerk eff'd up and registered the car to the wrong person and they need to correct the error.

Out of curiosity, do you work at a registry? If I'm gonna get raped on fees I'd rather a beyonders business get the money

dannie
02-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Number 2 it is. Accidental gun shot wound in the head. Is a picture of the corpse ok or do I still need a death certificate?

This totally made my day!! :rofl: and death certificate/will please :D lol

flipstah
02-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Fuck. Just bought a new license plate today.

I actually wanted to keep my dad's! :cry: