PDA

View Full Version : BMW charging $5000 to modify US cars?

canuckcarguy
01-26-2008, 12:46 PM
I hope this hasn't been covered already, I tried a couple of searches and couldn't find it.

I'm looking at a 2004 BMW 5-series in the US, and contacted my local dealer to find out about the costs associated with importing it. According to the government RIV website, I have to deal through BMW for any necessary modifications. Here's what they hit me at:
Letter of admissability (needed to cross the border) $350+tax
Parts, including New instrument cluster and new heater control module - $2600
(apparently they need to install these to activate the Daytime running lights)
Labour (to install above parts) $820
Recall clearance letter (required by gov't) - $500.

So I'm looking at paying a total of about $4500 to my local BMW dealer in order to legally import the car. Is there any way around this? I know I can have DRL installed for $100, but the RIV site specifies that modifications must be done by BMW.

Any ideas out there?

TeamBestBud
01-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Get it done in the states.

Team_Mclaren
01-26-2008, 01:04 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/199220/interesting-development-on-importing-bmws/

adamc
01-26-2008, 06:36 PM
you have a nice whip, but also the most fucking annoying signature in recent memory.

j.ng-
01-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by adamc
you have a nice whip, but also the most fucking annoying signature in recent memory.

LOLOLOL
yeah i like adamc's signature
simpicity is best yes?

rage2
01-26-2008, 07:15 PM
There's no way around it. Don't do it thru BMW, don't get recall letter from BMW. End of story. End of Thread.

canuckcarguy
01-26-2008, 11:26 PM
Hey, thanks for the help, and sorry I missed the November thread.

It sounds like I can still get away with a printout from an American dealer instead of a recall clearance letter, but that printout is next to impossible to obtain. If I manage to get the vehicle imported without going through BMW, I'll update the group.

Thanks again.

benyl
01-27-2008, 11:25 AM
You won't. RIV won't accept the letters from dealers anymore.

PorknBeans
01-28-2008, 01:54 PM
beware of the bullshit fee $300 for no fucken reason

pinoyhero
01-30-2008, 07:11 AM
Awesome, what an amazing disregard for free trade. Love how people think that even after this they can get a bimeer over the boarder for US price + GST. Just for some perspective for people thinking they can import ...

$30,000 US = $30,000 CDN

+ 5% GST = $1500
+ 6.1% duty = $1830
+ transport = (at least $1000 if you do it yourself)
+ the above and inspection fees = ~$4000

= ~$38,000 + hassle and time and the risk you screw things up ...

Bids for $30,000 US cars should be coming in at at least $38,000 as someone's done all the work for you.

SilverGS
01-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Unfortunately, BMW Canada seems to be the most aggressive in trying ensure that you don't import from the states. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think any other company has gone through the lengths they have to add extra cost and requirement to you bringing in a US import.

All people wanted was a price at least somewhat close to the US price. Even if it was 10% more rather then 20%-30% then I think most people would not even bother to go the US and be happy to purchase here.

The funny thing is the fight like crazy to not reduce prices here to compete with those importing but then the 1-series pricing comes in at what seems like a decent amount. Either way my current opinion of BMW Canada is not a good one at the moment.

badseed
01-30-2008, 08:27 AM
You don't pay 6.1% duty for all BMW's, only vehicles not manufactured in the US.

The Z4 and X5 are both american built so no 6.1% duty.

So for these particular vehicles there is def money to be saved especially if your importing from somewher close.

$1000 for transport, depends on location. My friend imported an X5 from Arizona, had it sent by truck for $700 directly to coutts border. Another friend had car sent from Florida for $1200 and it doesn't get too much further than that. So a minimum of 1k is not entirely accurate.

rage2
01-30-2008, 08:28 AM
Mercedes has been sort of doing the same thing for years, well before dollar parity. You need a new Canadian cluster (US ones are MPH only) and new bumpers (US ones are 5mph) for import, and it must be done at Mercedes dealerships.

BMW OTOH does NOT need a new cluster, since US ones have both MPH and KPH markings. They just claim you need it to turn on DRL properly. My M3 turned it's DRL on with the US software just fine.

SilverGS
01-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Mercedes has been sort of doing the same thing for years, well before dollar parity. You need a new Canadian cluster (US ones are MPH only) and new bumpers (US ones are 5mph) for import, and it must be done at Mercedes dealerships.

BMW OTOH does NOT need a new cluster, since US ones have both MPH and KPH markings. They just claim you need it to turn on DRL properly. My M3 turned it's DRL on with the US software just fine.

Well I don't agree with it having to be done by the dealership but at least Mercedes has a reason with KMH not being on the cluster and the bumper not meeting CDN Standards.

But yes BMW is more douche since it does not seem they have a good reason other then wanting money.

Hey Rage the DRL can only be switched with the computer right? There is no switch available in dash that can turn that option on or off. Someone mentioned that is the reason why BMW requires the CDN cluster so that people can't turn off the DRL option where as on the US ones you can.

canuckcarguy
01-30-2008, 09:47 AM
I think the DRL can be switched on with iDrive, but can also be turned off. BMW's argument is that in order to make the change permanent, you need to replace the cluster in all cars (but not the X3 and X5, I believe, don't quote me) and the heater control in some of the cars, because these components contain memory chips used to bus information around the car. The Canadian ones are specific for DRL, hence the requirement.

We all know it's BS, but that's the new rule, effective end of November.

I have a friend who just managed to wrangle a recall clearance letter out of a US dealer, so we'll see if he manages to do his own DRL installation and avoid BMW Canada.

rage2
01-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by SilverGS
Hey Rage the DRL can only be switched with the computer right? There is no switch available in dash that can turn that option on or off. Someone mentioned that is the reason why BMW requires the CDN cluster so that people can't turn off the DRL option where as on the US ones you can.
Only on the older models without iDrive, such as the E46's.

Originally posted by canuckcarguy
I think the DRL can be switched on with iDrive, but can also be turned off. BMW's argument is that in order to make the change permanent, you need to replace the cluster in all cars (but not the X3 and X5, I believe, don't quote me) and the heater control in some of the cars, because these components contain memory chips used to bus information around the car. The Canadian ones are specific for DRL, hence the requirement.
The iDrive software just needs to be flashed with the Canadian version to remove the menu option for DRL. BMW dealers claim that the software only works with the Canadian cluster, which is not true. But since the recall letter can only be issued by BMW, you can't really argue with them.

I have a friend who just managed to wrangle a recall clearance letter out of a US dealer, so we'll see if he manages to do his own DRL installation and avoid BMW Canada.
US dealers can't print out recall letters. They can print out Warranty Vehicle Inquiries, which the RIV doesn't accept anymore. The recall letter comes from head office, a small blurb saying your VIN# has no recalls, and a signature from some exec.

Kinda funny that BMW won't issue a recall letter until all the mods are done. That's not the point of the recall letter, the recall letter is just used to state that all recalls have been completed. It's up to Canadian Tire inspectors to pass or fail you on Canadian compliance. BMW is just using the recall letter as a tool to take your money.

benyl
01-30-2008, 10:32 AM

Is the car still under warranty? I am betting they won't do any work on the car even if you manage to get it imported legally.

Besides, ALL BMWs are inadmissible now unless you get a letter from BMW. RIV requires it. Look at the latest list.

15 year or older is fine though.

SilverGS
01-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Is the car still under warranty? I am betting they won't do any work on the car even if you manage to get it imported legally.

Besides, ALL BMWs are inadmissible now unless you get a letter from BMW. RIV requires it. Look at the latest list.

15 year or older is fine though.

So even used ones you have to go through this process?

I like BMW's but BMW Canada is just pissing me off. I will not get a BMW from any Canadian dealership until either their prices are not insanely more than their American counterparts or they change their policies to not be so greedy. I hope more people do the same. Maybe that will change there mind. Plenty of other nice cars out there than having to deal with their shit.

canuckcarguy
01-30-2008, 01:15 PM

Only on the older models without iDrive, such as the E46's.

The iDrive software just needs to be flashed with the Canadian version to remove the menu option for DRL. BMW dealers claim that the software only works with the Canadian cluster, which is not true. But since the recall letter can only be issued by BMW, you can't really argue with them.

US dealers can't print out recall letters. They can print out Warranty Vehicle Inquiries, which the RIV doesn't accept anymore. The recall letter comes from head office, a small blurb saying your VIN# has no recalls, and a signature from some exec.

Kinda funny that BMW won't issue a recall letter until all the mods are done. That's not the point of the recall letter, the recall letter is just used to state that all recalls have been completed. It's up to Canadian Tire inspectors to pass or fail you on Canadian compliance. BMW is just using the recall letter as a tool to take your money.

I agree that the process BMW is pushing for DRL is BS, but that's what they're claiming. My friend got the first letter required, stating eligibility, from BMW Canada. This has to be provided at the border and surrendered to US Customs. but the second letter, the recall letter, he got from BMW USA through a US dealer. He paid $500 for it, and it has the requisite recall-free claim and a signature from whomever. Whether RIV will accept it is another matter, and I'll let the group know whether or not he's successful.

tc3
01-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Anyone know if the E39 requires the same cluster replacement to do?
Thx

rage2
01-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Check with BMW on the E39. Like the E46, it's programmable and not user changable, but they force you to throw in a cluster anyways.

pinoyhero
01-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by badseed
You don't pay 6.1% duty for all BMW's, only vehicles not manufactured in the US.

The Z4 and X5 are both american built so no 6.1% duty.

So for these particular vehicles there is def money to be saved especially if your importing from somewher close.

$1000 for transport, depends on location. My friend imported an X5 from Arizona, had it sent by truck for $700 directly to coutts border. Another friend had car sent from Florida for $1200 and it doesn't get too much further than that. So a minimum of 1k is not entirely accurate.

I hear ya on the X5 and Z4. The $700 to coutts, doe that include GST and gas time etc. from coutts to calgary? I think not, either way its pretty close. Maybe I'm high by $200 or so.

djh
02-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Bought a US 335i prior to Nov 26 RIV changes. Took to Calgary dealership for warranty work and got the "frying the electrical" story due to turning the driving lights on, and was quoted between 4000 - 6500 for modifications. Took back to import shop that turned the running lights on. Had BMW certified software. Took car back to the US and warranty work no problem also said they would be happy to do warranty work on our Canadian 2006 330i. We used to promote BMW to everyone, now we tell everyone run away as fast and as far as you can. BMW Canada - never again!!!

smontyLS1
02-24-2008, 10:47 PM
daytime running lights can be activated via computer diagnostics. on 99 or newer vehicles. instrument cluster is an easy swap but needs to be programmed. shenis auto trend has computer diagnostics at dealership standards and can do all that very easily, hvac unit doesn't need any work, it just changes is from farenheit to celcius

rage2
02-24-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by smontyLS1
daytime running lights can be activated via computer diagnostics. on 99 or newer vehicles. instrument cluster is an easy swap but needs to be programmed. shenis auto trend has computer diagnostics at dealership standards and can do all that very easily, hvac unit doesn't need any work, it just changes is from farenheit to celcius
You can have Sheni do it, or wire up your own DRLs, but you won't be able to pass federal because BMW won't give you a recall letter until you get the cluster changed by them.

canuckcarguy
02-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Yep, that's the key. If you can't get that one document, you can't complete the import process, and with BMW Canada holding those letters back, we're screwed.

heavyD
02-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Anyone know how much the 135i will retail for in Canada?

benyl
02-25-2008, 10:49 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/205418/bmw-2008-1-series-pricing-/

heavyD
02-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by benyl
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/205418/bmw-2008-1-series-pricing-/

Would have been nice to be able to bring one in from the U.S. That said I don't know if I could bring myself to joining the long list of posers that buy these cars. Well I did own an SRT-4..............ha ha!

smontyLS1
02-26-2008, 02:19 PM
why would you need the cluster changed when there is km/h on it? and you can change the odometer to kms too. all that changes is the mph are the small numbers but they aren't giving you a letter unless you spend $1000 to have the cluster changed?

sheni can change the cluster and all that too, if you already have the cluster changed do you still need them to do it before they give you a letter?

The cluster has nothing to do with the DRL activation, I've seen them activated in US clustered vehicles all the time. its in the lighting module not the instrument cluster.

rage2
02-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by smontyLS1
why would you need the cluster changed when there is km/h on it? and you can change the odometer to kms too. all that changes is the mph are the small numbers but they aren't giving you a letter unless you spend $1000 to have the cluster changed?

sheni can change the cluster and all that too, if you already have the cluster changed do you still need them to do it before they give you a letter?

The cluster has nothing to do with the DRL activation, I've seen them activated in US clustered vehicles all the time. its in the lighting module not the instrument cluster.
Because it's called a scam. Everything you've said is true, but it still doesn't change the fact that BMW won't give u that letter unless you do all the work with them lol. Read the thread. Everything was explained a month ago.

legendboy
02-26-2008, 04:25 PM

This must be a BMW only thing then, my recall clearance letter came from toyota USA when i brought back my supra.

canuckcarguy
02-26-2008, 05:05 PM
This IS a BMW only thing. Their excuse is that in order to PERMANENTLY turn on the DRL, the heater control unit (on most units) and the cluster (on all units) must be changed. Apparently there are chips in these two components that are used to bus information around the vehicle.

Yes, it's a scam, but pretty much unavoidable if you want to import a newer BMW. Yes, you can get the DRL done elsewhere, and the cluster for that matter, but unless you have the changes done at a BMW dealer, you won't get a recall clearance letter, without which you cannot legally complete the import process.

I bought a 2004 local BMW today. Yeah, BMW Canada sucks, but the cars are great, and even though they're cheaper in the US, I used the American pricing to beat down this price in any event.

HondaRice
02-26-2008, 06:01 PM
dont ban me or anything

can you just get a standard DRL module from canadian tire or part source and connect it that way or cause its a BMW you need to special things to it?

Weapon_R
02-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by HondaRice
dont ban me or anything

can you just get a standard DRL module from canadian tire or part source and connect it that way or cause its a BMW you need to special things to it?

No. Once again, you need a recall letter issued from BMW before you can take it to get your final federal inspection. Without the letter, you cannot pass the inspection. Without paying BMW for the DRL modification, you cannot get the letter.

canuckcarguy
02-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by HondaRice
dont ban me or anything

Daytime running lights aren't the problem. Whether you activate them through the computer or get a part from your local parts supplier, you still have one basic problem: in order to import and register the vehicle, you need to provide, to RIV (the government agency responsible for administering imports), a "recall clearance letter" from the vehicle manufacturer. The vehicle manufacturer (BMW) will only provide such a letter once they have done the modifications to the vehicle. And they won't just use the part from Canadian Tire, but instead require the use of a new cluster and, in most cases, a new heater control module. Plus labour. You can't even buy the parts and then have a mechanic install them - they have to be done at a BMW dealer, or you won't get the letter. No letter, no import.

fast95pony
02-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Class action against BMW,Mercedes and Transport Canada / Canada Border Services .

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2008/02/28/cars.html

Canadians are paying excessive fees for unnecessary vehicle modifications and approvals when they import Mercedes and BMW cars from the United States, says a lawsuit filed this week.

Fournier Leasing Company Ltd. and Canadian Auto Associates Ltd. filed a statement of claim in Ontario Superior Court on Monday that alleges two government agencies conspired to drive up prices on some luxury cars imported into Canada.

Transport Canada and Canada Border Services Agency are named along with BMW Canada Inc., Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc. and Mercedes-Benz USA LLC in the class action seeking more than $1 billion in damages.

canuckcarguy
03-04-2008, 06:04 PM
That'll be an interesting lawsuit. Of course, by the time it's settled, it'll be years from now, and who knows what the dollar will be worth by then...

me&you
03-04-2008, 08:08 PM
They could probably add Porsche Cars North America to that list (among others)... just recently PCNA informed RIV/TC that the 08 Porsche cars require a bumper modification to meet Canadian crash standards. Strange that 08s were fine before, and they haven't changed since the 05-07 models that were also, and still, admissible with no changes. Fuckers.

climer
03-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Wow!

And here I was thinking that I got raped when I paid GM Canada $250 for my recall clearance letter.

I know some people who've had no problems using a "recall clearance printout" from a US dealer with a dealer stamp. I didn't go this route since I bought my car privately but I'd imagine that it should be easy for anyone buying from a BMW dealer. (Or perhaps they can take it to a US dealer for a pre purchase inspection and get them to print it out.)

Talk about blackmail! :guns:

Team_Mclaren
03-04-2008, 08:33 PM
^^ once again you failed to read.

Kloubek
04-02-2008, 12:52 PM
I opened another thread, but my next question would be suitable for this thread as well...

I've done a little investigating, and I'm still not sure of everything. But here's a good link regarding the cluster change:

http://ucanimport.blogspot.com/2008/02/bmw-service-bulletin-for-instrument.html

But then, some people have got away with doing very little:

http://ucanimport.blogspot.com/2008/01/bmw-motorcyle-imports-from-us-bmw.html

What it appears is that the E46 (1998+ 3series), E53 (X5), E83 (X3) and E85/86 (Z4) do not require cluster changes. The added advantage of importing an X5 and Z4 is that most (if not all) were made in US so you can avoid the 6.1% tax.

Anyone have anything to add to this list? Again, I am not 100% but I *think* this is correct....

Also take into account guys that any car brought into Canada that was titled in or after 2007 is subject to a green levy. This applies to cars and trucks that use a lot of gas. I am not sure what they are for each vehicle without looking, and some may be exempt. But something like the X5 V8 will obviously be dinged, etc.