PDA

View Full Version : Leaving engine running all night?

redline_13000
01-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Is this a bad idea? Can anything bad happen to the vehicle from doing this?

dr_jared88
01-28-2008, 12:30 AM
its alot of unnecessary wear on the engine.. other then that not really i suppose. why would you want to do this? the cold weather?

ive had many winter days like this is saskatchewan and have always been fine.

slammed_cb7
01-28-2008, 12:40 AM
is this a joke? of course its a bad idea! I really hope this is a bad pwning...........

Redlyne_mr2
01-28-2008, 12:41 AM
super shitty for the environment.. please dont do it. Long idling periods are not good for an engine either.. just use a block heater.

4lti7ude
01-28-2008, 12:42 AM
Wow how much do you get paid to use that much gas? lol

danielgoldfinch
01-28-2008, 12:44 AM
haha slammed_cb7 go to northern alberta in -40 and try and start your
truck after leaving it not running thats if you can open the door.
and i leave my trucks running all night up there and they are fine
and i the company has been doing it for years!

Redlyne_mr2
01-28-2008, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by danielgoldfinch
haha slammed_cb7 go to northern alberta in -40 and try and start your
truck after leaving it not running thats if you can open the door.
and i leave my trucks running all night up there and they are fine
and i the company has been doing it for years!
Just because a bunch of rednecks are doing it doesnt mean its ok.

badatusrnames
01-28-2008, 12:48 AM
Calgary transit has to leave some of their buses running overnight when it is cold due to a lack of indoor storage.

Any difference leaving a diesel idling vs a gasoline engine?

slammed_cb7
01-28-2008, 12:49 AM
If you have a fuckin semi, sure i understand. When he says 'vehicle' on this ricer super forum that is not what i assume. Even if you have a big pickup, glo-plugs and fuel heaters exist for the very reason that you won't have to run your tank dry to keep your truck driveable.

slammed_cb7
01-28-2008, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Calgary transit has to leave some of their buses running overnight when it is cold due to a lack of indoor storage.

Any difference leaving a diesel idling vs a gasoline engine?

Gas has a 'wax point' way the hell below what we would ever see, NO good reason at all in leaving a gas engine running all night.

seer_claw
01-28-2008, 12:54 AM
What difference does it make leaving it running all night and driving for 1500 km in one day. You drive for ~12 hours and make that distance why would it be any different for your car to sit in one place and run? :dunno:

Its just shitty for the environment.

sexualbanana
01-28-2008, 12:55 AM
I'm going to assume you're just curious, rather than actually serious about what this would do.

I'd be curious to know myself. Not that I'd ever try it. Just a useless bit of information that might come in handy one day.

slammed_cb7
01-28-2008, 12:56 AM
you can drive 1500km in 12 hours? Especially in something that needs to be constantly idled to start in the cold?

Hamann
01-28-2008, 01:26 AM
I've heard leaving a Gasoline Engine Idleing is hard on it, but doing the same on a Diesel engine has no ill effect... :dunno:

But you would be wasting a crap load of gas and you would have tree huggers hating you.

LongCity
01-28-2008, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by seer_claw
What difference does it make leaving it running all night and driving for 1500 km in one day. You drive for ~12 hours and make that distance why would it be any different for your car to sit in one place and run? :dunno:

Its just shitty for the environment.

Well you could save that 1500km for another day when you need it.

kvanderlaag
01-28-2008, 01:34 AM
I find it's more effective to just burn crude oil in my backyard.

InLoveWitRSX
01-28-2008, 02:07 AM
just dont get your car jacked if you do leave it on

nikka
01-28-2008, 02:15 AM
carbon monoxide poisoning is cool as well :thumbsup:

Daan
01-28-2008, 02:24 AM
it's not a bad idea,

now where do you live ?

redx2nv
01-28-2008, 02:47 AM
Meh, we had a gas jobber lube truck at my old work, it was idling for maybe 15 years, no problems lol

Neil4Speed
01-28-2008, 08:07 AM
What are you trying to achive.

Even letting your car idle for long periods of time (15 minutes +), fouls up your spark plugs.

Aleks
01-28-2008, 08:18 AM
All the diesel pickups up in the field are left running all night long on sites I've been too. :dunno:

Kona9
01-28-2008, 08:19 AM
If they are fighting to abolish drive thru's in Edmonton due to the negative environmental impact, do you think it is a good idea to idle your car all night?

Don't be cheap and lazy! Get a block heater or don't drive.

Fail to plan, plan to fail!!!

heavyD
01-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
All the diesel pickups up in the field are left running all night long on sites I've been too. :dunno:

Pretty common with diesels as even new ones don't start near as well as gasoline engines in the cold. I remember at SAIT people with the old diesel rabbits would leave them running in the parking lot all day.

DRKM
01-28-2008, 08:28 AM
Leaving a diesel at idle is bad fo the engine. Diesels do not produce the same heat as gasoline engines so there combustion becomes less effieciant and can seriously hurt the piston rings causing permanent blow by.

When trucks leave there engines running all night they are generally on high idle so that there is a load high enough to keep the engine producing enough heat.

A gas engine produces enough heat at idle to still have an effiecent combustion stroke. The only thing it would be hard on is Gas.

Some times on the big rigs the two block heaters combined will not start the engine!

Derek

Rat Fink
01-28-2008, 08:29 AM

blueToy
01-28-2008, 09:34 AM

Redneck schooling . It's like trying to teach whales to fly .:banghead:

blueToy
01-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
Up north we had a wireline truck that ran for 43 days straight. We only shut it off to change the oil, then fire it up again right away. Had to or else it wouldn't start.

Call us rednecks....why don't you shut off a diesel up north in the middle of nowhere and see how fun it is to try and start it.

Have been starting heavy equipment for the last twenty plus years in Alberta . Todays a perfect example that it's not just Northern Alberta that gets cold .

Again , genset , electrical extention cables and block heaters . It takes a little planning and forethought , which is why some folks in the patch are so reluctant to try it .

Rat Fink
01-28-2008, 11:29 AM

Strider
01-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Agreed... but I don't think the OP is in this particular situation.

I've spent a winter in the oilfield in northern alberta before... around there, everybody just plugged in their trucks and remote started them about 30 minutes before they had to drive so it'd be nice and toasty... no troubles really

Originally posted by Rat Fink

ya, but when it's just you and the wireline truck, hours away from the nearest outlet, and you don't have a generator on site (which would be running all night anyways)....what do you do?

ae92gts
01-28-2008, 02:00 PM
When you leave a gas engine idleing for long periods of time you can seriously hurt the engine due to inproper oil pressure and running temp.

CelicaST-162
01-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by DRKM
Leaving a diesel at idle is bad fo the engine. Diesels do not produce the same heat as gasoline engines so there combustion becomes less effieciant and can seriously hurt the piston rings causing permanent blow by.

When trucks leave there engines running all night they are generally on high idle so that there is a load high enough to keep the engine producing enough heat.

A gas engine produces enough heat at idle to still have an effiecent combustion stroke. The only thing it would be hard on is Gas.

Some times on the big rigs the two block heaters combined will not start the engine!

Derek

Bingo! Gasoline engines if they are left idling will eventually produce more and more heat. If a diesel is left to idle, it will only cool down a point where unnescessary wear and tear is happening because as it cools off, the pistons contract and cause it to wear a lot faster due to excess piston-cylinder wall clearance.

So, plug it in...Use a block heater, Run an inline coolant heater and an engine oil heater and a battery warmer if you're deeply concerned.

Gibson
01-28-2008, 08:43 PM
So wait...how bad is idling a gas engine for more than 15 minutes? I accidently locked my keys in my car while it was running once (Don't ask, just point and laugh) and it was idling for a half hour while I got a buddy to drive me home and grab a spare set.

And doesn't diesel have a higher freezing point than gas making it harder to run, especially on days like these?

RotaryPower
01-28-2008, 08:51 PM
leaving your car idle for 30 minutes once or twice wont hurt a thing i dont think

gpomp
01-28-2008, 08:54 PM

j.ng-
01-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Just because a bunch of rednecks are doing it doesnt mean its ok.
:rofl: :rofl:

Mr_ET
01-28-2008, 09:55 PM
damn people buy Tundra's or something. People are just used to inferior engineering and it's ok now to do all these "extra" things like letting a truck run all night to compensate for its mediocrity?

Al Gore would love this discussion :P

ricefarmer
01-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
damn people buy Tundra's or something. People are just used to inferior engineering and it's ok now to do all these "extra" things like letting a truck run all night to compensate for its mediocrity?

Al Gore would love this discussion :P

Originally posted by slammed_cb7
If you have a fuckin semi, sure i understand. When he says 'vehicle' on this ricer super forum that is not what i assume. Even if you have a big pickup, glo-plugs and fuel heaters exist for the very reason that you won't have to run your tank dry to keep your truck driveable.

TegLover
01-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by kvanderlaag
I find it's more effective to just burn crude oil in my backyard.

I'd rather start a fire in the engine bay and trickle gasoline on it all night long, a friend of a friend of mine told me this method works great.

Sharpie
01-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Wow all you people are parinoid about leaving your car idle for more than 20min. I do this all the time, I would rather go to a warm car then go to a hella cold car. I really dont care if it puts a little extra wear and tear on the engine.

Also all of you are hilarious, and think that diesels start up like no other. Go find someone that has one and watch them try and start it up in the morning. I garentee that they will have to ignite the glow plugs a few times before cranking it and even after that they still start rough.

Supa Dexta
01-28-2008, 11:35 PM
I'm sitting here at the rig right now.. Every truck outside is either plugged in to the few available outlets.. or running. It's just the way it is, it didn't get much above -40 today (actual), most of these trucks won't even try to start below -30..
Can you leave a gas running? yes, will you notice anything bad? I doubt it, in the time you'll own the car..

78si
01-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by DRKM

Derek

You can install a HIGH idle kit to keep the diesel engine at operating temp.

http://www.bd-power.com/ram/product.php?pn=High%20Idle%20Kit&tt=ram

Maddog55
01-28-2008, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Sharpie
Wow all you people are parinoid about leaving your car idle for more than 20min. I do this all the time, I would rather go to a warm car then go to a hella cold car. I really dont care if it puts a little extra wear and tear on the engine.

Also all of you are hilarious, and think that diesels start up like no other. Go find someone that has one and watch them try and start it up in the morning. I garentee that they will have to ignite the glow plugs a few times before cranking it and even after that they still start rough.

^ Agree 100%. Good grief...you'll drive a car for 15 hrs straight driving to Vancouver at rpms of 2500 give or take.. but you think idleing overnight is gonna damage it??:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Other than wasting some gas...($10-$15 maybe) if a guy can afford it...why not? Maybe its an older car, with a broken block heater..or none at all. I'd do it and sleep like a baby knowing it will start and it'll be toasty warm. :D

stevo 27
01-29-2008, 12:06 AM
fuck id leave mine running all night but the fucking thing wont start at all :thumbsdow

i wish i had a big ol can of either and a boost :(

Evolize
01-29-2008, 12:07 AM
I'd leave mine all night but the coolant boils over cause of a block in the cooling system somewhere. The block heater doesn't work, and I can't park in my garage......:banghead: :banghead: i did however leave it running all day at work, just so it would start at 5pm when I was off.

Weapon_R
01-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Sharpie

Too many kiddies in their parents civics....

I'll give anyone $100 if they can start my diesel F-350 tomorrow in less than 5 tries haha. I doubt it'll even start at all :(

Ashers
01-29-2008, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

I'll give anyone $100 if they can start my diesel F-350 tomorrow in less than 5 tries haha. I doubt it'll even start at all :(

Join the club... I went out at three today to go out... maybe attempt getting to work... didn't happen. Golf was frozen solid. Cranked maybe 3 turns before the battery gave out. Jump, still nothing. Turns out that the diesel has gelled up really good. Maybe I can try to get the Trackers battery defrosted, or borrow my dads benz...

ex1z7
01-29-2008, 02:39 AM
Excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject of diesels ...

but what the hell ? I know they have no spark plugs and use compression to detonate the diesel and all, but whats this business with glow plugs? I thought glow plugs were /kinda/ like spark plugs but they work more like mini block heaters for the cylinders.. Are they working when the engine is too cold on their own, or do you have to have the diesel equipped vehicle in the 'on' position and wait for them to warm up enough to crank the engine?

:| How do you guys drive reliably with vehicles that wont start .. And what temperature does diesel freeze/"gel up" at ? Can you get a heater for the tank / lines so it doesn't freeze?

Ashers
01-29-2008, 04:00 AM
Glow plugs are small heaters mounted in the same spot as a spark plug. They "glow" white hot to help warm the head and to also get the engine to "catch". This is because diesels use the heat from compressing air to ignite the fuel. When its cold outside, it will take far too long to build up the heat to get diesel to flash, so glow plugs get the engine running until it has enough heat to run on its own. On most VW TDI's, they don't kick in till about 0 degrees, and it really helps to get the engine going. However, on my car, 2 are burnt out (3rd set in 3 months, VW can't figure out what's wrong), and this makes starting next to impossible. Generally, on a diesel car, you turn the ignition on and what for the glow plug light to go out, then crank the engine. Some people like to cycle the ignition 2 or 3 times to get them nice and hot first.

Usually this isn't a problem, as fuel stations TEND to make sure the right diesel blend is in the tanks for the weather. In winter Diesel #2 is blended with Diesel #1 to make it gel at lower temperatures. The more diesel #1, the lower the temperature you can go, the more expensive the fuel, and the less power. This is due to Diesel #2 gelling at about 4 degrees Celsius. A good blend should only gel at about -30. Due to the mild weather we've been having lately, I think my tank of co-op diesel is a little closer to summer diesel, than winter, and therefore the gelling. Generally, owning a diesel is not that bad in winter, if you use the right fuel, put anti-gel additives if required, make sure your battery is good, and make sure the glow plug system is good.

Mr_ET
01-29-2008, 07:25 AM
maybe it's because I'm from Eastern Canada but all this talk about leaving a car running all night just sounds like an incredible waste to me.

A waste of gas and so much more emissions. I'm not all let's save the planet and only drive green cars but this redneck way of life that everyone needs a big truck or SUV just gets to me sometimes.

It was actually very shocking to me when I first moved here, how many huge trucks and big vehicules drive around here. I know most people say they are work trucks but it's usually just 1 guy in a quad cab with nothing in the box and nothing on the truck saying it's a work truck:dunno:

Supa Dexta
01-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Go home hippy! and take a hybrid to get there.. :guns:

:rofl:

I wish I had a picture that would be perfect for this thread.. You'll often see an 18 wheeler with a flat deck on up north here, and one truck sitting on it (f250 or what not) and more often then not that truck is left running while it gets towed around the province.. :rofl: Now thats efficient use of fuels...

hollywood_35
01-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Are you girls seriously concerned about the environment for letting your vehicle run through a night or two during extreme temperatures? If we hit a few days where the weather is where it is, if a few people left their vehicles run over night it would be an extremely small impact. Do you realize all the other factors that contribute to pollution? Have any of you whining about the environment ever had a job where you don't sit in a building behind a computer? Try working where there are big trucks and heavy equipment that have to be started when its this cold. You could hit the glow plugs until the battery dies and spray a whole can of ether into the intake and they still won't go. If you manage to get them going you feel blessed and wont shut it off until you absolutely have to. In early December when it got cold we would leave our equipment on site and let it run all night long. Gasoline engines are easy to start if you don't drive a shitbox, buy a god damn command start and push the button fifteen minutes before you leave. But if you drive a car that struggles to start when its very cold like this, do whatever you want, it's your car.

heavyD
01-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Wow I'm pretty shocked at the amount of tree huggers at this site. You think idling your car is going to make a difference to the environment? Maybe if hundreds of thousands of people idle their cars overnight you may be onto something but come on.:rolleyes:

The Cosworth
01-29-2008, 08:46 AM
:rofl:

at this thread. You guys make me laugh.

However for once in a long time I have nothing to add. The posts that are actually smart are spot on.

Tik-Tok
01-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by redline_13000
Is this a bad idea? Can anything bad happen to the vehicle from doing this?

Excessive carbon build-up.

Our work van idles a LOT, and runs like sh!te because of it. But I'm talking leaving it in idle 6-8 hours every night. I'm sure one or two nights a year won't be too harmful.

If you do though, the easiest way to get rid of the carbon build up is to take it on an hours drive, at high rpm (leave it down a gear). We do this every so often for our van, and it runs better after that.

Bimmer88
01-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Dude... I'm not going to flame you but...

if you do decide to do this in your garage well I'm must say I wish you the best in the afterlife. It's a stupid idea, and if it's in the garage you should have the garage somewhat open, and a CO Detector so you don't die.

If it was outside well I still wish you goodluck, and that your car doesn't get stolen but some jerkwad, and that if you have the money to pay for gas... go for it!

Another thing is my buddy up north in the Yukon, heh they can afford to leave their trucks on because gas is sooo cheap, and if they turned off their trucks for the day... well their not going to be able to start it.

Otherwise, don't leave your car on if you don't want it stolen, and ESPECIALLY do not leave it on in the garage without the garage being open, and having a CO detector.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning is the silent killer... and trust me it is.

I went to Canadian Tire and Homedepot yesterday... ALL SOLD OUT! of CO Detectors like wtf.

Oh and as for enviormental effects... who cares... go for it. WERE ALREADY PASSED THE POINT OF NO RETURN!!!

98brg2d
01-29-2008, 11:52 AM
The big reason for the difference in idling diesel vs gasoline is the top compression ring.

Most diesels have a parabolic ring shape that forces the ring against the cylinder wall even if there is a lot of cylinder or ring wear. This is the main reason for high service intervals for diesels.

Gas engines have flat top compression rings. Gas engines don't have high enough cylinder pressures to force a parabolic ring against the cylinder wall so as the engine wears you get blow-by. Some non-interference engines have a small gap between the top of the piston and cylinder bore, if you idle these engines (low oil pressure condition) the cylinder wall will end up with a lip at the top that may or may not be able to be machined off. This is what a ridge reamer is for.

You can do damage to either engines with excessive idle with low oil pressure but it is more likely to cause noticeably shorter life in a gas engine.

HondaRice
01-29-2008, 01:12 PM
i been driving a japanese car for many years with over 300,000 km. i never once plugged it in. always started in extereme weather when other guys on teh street with non japanese newer or even new cars plugged still took it some time

as long as its a good engine design, and good fuel system design and a good car design you can get away without having to plug it in, giving it a boost, and name sure you use good oil.

ralliart_girl
01-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I'm sitting here at the rig right now.. Every truck outside is either plugged in to the few available outlets.. or running. It's just the way it is, it didn't get much above -40 today (actual), most of these trucks won't even try to start below -30..
Can you leave a gas running? yes, will you notice anything bad? I doubt it, in the time you'll own the car..

I totally agree that if you are in a situation like that...then this is COMPLETELY justified...but for the people that live in the city...I don't see why you would want to leave the car running all night. I can see warming up the car for like 20 mins...but all night! Come on! how lazy can you be? Takes 2 seconds to plug in the block heater.

SR240SX
01-29-2008, 01:42 PM
If its an older car I wouldnt do it..what are you going to do if randomly it decides to over heat? you wake up to a pooched motor in the morning..that would suck.

forkdork
01-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Ashers

Join the club... I went out at three today to go out... maybe attempt getting to work... didn't happen. Golf was frozen solid. Cranked maybe 3 turns before the battery gave out. Jump, still nothing. Turns out that the diesel has gelled up really good. Maybe I can try to get the Trackers battery defrosted, or borrow my dads benz...

How old is your battery?

I started my TDI up today, -40something C without Wind (-49 iirc w/ wind) and it started first try after cycling the glow plugs once (probably not necessary, but i've formed a habit). The car was parked outside too.

Maintain your battery and run proper winterized fuel and you shouldn't have a problem. Obviously the fuel issue is sort of out of your hands, but your battery should be kept in tip top shape.

I'm in saskatchewan btw, so this sort of weather isn't really unheard of and my TDI always starts.

forkdork
01-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Ouch on the GP issue too. 3 sets is ridiculous. I've only changed 1 at 194 000 km now (on a 2001 car).

hollywood_35
01-29-2008, 02:12 PM
If letting your car idle causes environmental damage, I say do it! We need the global warming right now...

hollywood_35
01-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by SR240SX
If its an older car I wouldnt do it..what are you going to do if randomly it decides to over heat? you wake up to a pooched motor in the morning..that would suck.

True, cars often overheat in -40~ weather. :rolleyes: Lotsa people gotta put cardboard in front of the rad to get it to even stay warm. The car has a better chance of getting stolen for sure.

Aleks
01-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by HondaRice
i been driving a japanese car for many years with over 300,000 km. i never once plugged it in. always started in extereme weather when other guys on teh street with non japanese newer or even new cars plugged still took it some time

as long as its a good engine design, and good fuel system design and a good car design you can get away without having to plug it in, giving it a boost, and name sure you use good oil.

Both my non japanese cars don't even have block heaters in them and they start just fine.

Moe Man
01-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Ashers
Glow plugs are small heaters mounted in the same spot as a spark plug. They "glow" white hot to help warm the head and to also get the engine to "catch". This is because diesels use the heat from compressing air to ignite the fuel. When its cold outside, it will take far too long to build up the heat to get diesel to flash, so glow plugs get the engine running until it has enough heat to run on its own. On most VW TDI's, they don't kick in till about 0 degrees, and it really helps to get the engine going. However, on my car, 2 are burnt out (3rd set in 3 months, VW can't figure out what's wrong), and this makes starting next to impossible. Generally, on a diesel car, you turn the ignition on and what for the glow plug light to go out, then crank the engine. Some people like to cycle the ignition 2 or 3 times to get them nice and hot first.

Usually this isn't a problem, as fuel stations TEND to make sure the right diesel blend is in the tanks for the weather. In winter Diesel #2 is blended with Diesel #1 to make it gel at lower temperatures. The more diesel #1, the lower the temperature you can go, the more expensive the fuel, and the less power. This is due to Diesel #2 gelling at about 4 degrees Celsius. A good blend should only gel at about -30. Due to the mild weather we've been having lately, I think my tank of co-op diesel is a little closer to summer diesel, than winter, and therefore the gelling. Generally, owning a diesel is not that bad in winter, if you use the right fuel, put anti-gel additives if required, make sure your battery is good, and make sure the glow plug system is good.

thanks for the insight....

next class we will talk about tires :whocares:

The Cosworth
01-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man

thanks for the insight....

next class we will talk about tires :whocares:

seemed like a fair response to this question to me :dunno:

:banghead:

Originally posted by ex1z7
Excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject of diesels ...

but what the hell ? I know they have no spark plugs and use compression to detonate the diesel and all, but whats this business with glow plugs? I thought glow plugs were /kinda/ like spark plugs but they work more like mini block heaters for the cylinders.. Are they working when the engine is too cold on their own, or do you have to have the diesel equipped vehicle in the 'on' position and wait for them to warm up enough to crank the engine?

:| How do you guys drive reliably with vehicles that wont start .. And what temperature does diesel freeze/"gel up" at ? Can you get a heater for the tank / lines so it doesn't freeze?

Dj_Stylz
01-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Anyone know where i can pick up a Optima Red Top or Yellow Top today in calgary? I need a 51R

marko polo
01-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

i can get any diesel motor started in one try with liquid fire ( http://www.gunk.com/CAT_M3911.asp ). although it may not be the healthiest thing for your motor , it will get it running.

you still got that $100?

peterparker
01-29-2008, 05:44 PM
why waste good petro? use synthetic oil

DannyO
01-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Dj_Stylz
Anyone know where i can pick up a Optima Red Top or Yellow Top today in calgary? I need a 51R

I got my Red Top at Canadian Tire down in Shawnessy.

canuckcarguy
01-29-2008, 09:33 PM
maybe it's because I'm from Eastern Canada but all this talk about leaving a car running all night just sounds like an incredible waste to me.

A waste of gas and so much more emissions. I'm not all let's save the planet and only drive green cars but this redneck way of life that everyone needs a big truck or SUV just gets to me sometimes.

It was actually very shocking to me when I first moved here, how many huge trucks and big vehicules drive around here. I know most people say they are work trucks but it's usually just 1 guy in a quad cab with nothing in the box and nothing on the truck saying it's a work truck:dunno:

Maybe it's because I'm from Alberta but letting you breathe oxygen sounds like an incredible waste to me.

Yeah, lots of us drive trucks here, it's because we work for a living so that eastern Canadians can get their monthly gov't cheques and buy hybrids and cigarettes. There are more small businesses per capita here than anywhere else in Canada; so sorry I didn't put a sign on my diesel crew cab to make you feel better.

Canada produces 1% of the world's greenhouse gases, and you really think stranding our trucks in the driveway rather than running them overnight for 1 week of the year is really going to make a difference? Give me a break. Even if you believe in global warming that's a tough one to accept.

TegLover
01-29-2008, 11:36 PM

AGREED, only in Alberta. It's because every redneck wants to be like their beer buddy bob or uncle jones. Whats even worse is i see OLD PEOPLE buy trucks now, big huge crew cab trucks that doesn't have one spec of dirt on it from "work" and better yet they have tonneau covers on the box. Like there weren't bad enough drivers in their big American sedans. Oh ya so much for "work" trucks :rolleyes:

I can name you at least dozen person i know who drives a pick up truck on a daily basis that do no use them for "work"

Go to B.C where gas prices are significantly higher then redneck Alberta, you tend to see much less pick-ups. People there are more realistic and can see that trying to live up to the hick image isn't really worth the hit on the wallet. Plus it helps that there are far less hicks/rednecks/incest's there as well.

Originally posted by hollywood_35

True, cars often overheat in -40~ weather. :rolleyes: Lotsa people gotta put cardboard in front of the rad to get it to even stay warm. The car has a better chance of getting stolen for sure.

Yes, cars (gasoline) can overheat in -40 degrees Celsius. There is a HUGE difference between a car being driven than being parked. You're right about not being able to overheat when being driven but if its parked and the cooling system failed it WILL overheat. If you don't believe me unplug the rad fan, leave your car running overnight and say bye bye to your head gasket or engine.

Originally posted by canuckcarguy

Canada produces 1% of the world's greenhouse gases, and you really think stranding our trucks in the driveway rather than running them overnight for 1 week of the year is really going to make a difference? Give me a break. Even if you believe in global warming that's a tough one to accept.

That is exactly the attitude that is hindering any sort of change to our environment whatsoever. Luckily only a very few think like you but unfortunately because of your ignorance we all have to suffer.

Supa Dexta
01-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Fack you! I drive a bigger truck, have a better job, and don't recycle.. And I'm also from NS, never got a pogie check, nor do I expect shit..

:poosie: :rofl:

hassanc21
01-29-2008, 11:46 PM
Get a car starter. Most of them have a setting you can activate that will automatically turn your car on every few hours for 15-20 min. Keeps the engine from freezing up too much.
However, if you live in Calgary and don't have a block heater, you should move to a warmer climate.

Or pay to get one in. It's easier.

Supa Dexta
01-29-2008, 11:48 PM
Why anyone would want to start there car every few hours is beyond me, thats the absolute worst thing for it... It would be balls cold in no time, so you'd be starting it with no oil pressure only to run long enough to not properly warm up..

Moe Man
01-30-2008, 12:02 AM
"Yes, cars (gasoline) can overheat in -40 degrees Celsius. There is a HUGE difference between a car being driven than being parked. You're right about not being able to overheat when being driven but if its parked and the cooling system failed it WILL overheat. If you don't believe me unplug the rad fan, leave your car running overnight and say bye bye to your head gasket or engine. "

cars can overheat even at -60 if your cooling system fails. no shit.

but if you have your heat cranked in this weather, even if your fan stops working it wont overheat.

chris
01-30-2008, 12:42 AM
wow, whens the last time you were in bc? the prices are pretty much the same maybe +/- 5 cents a liter. they just drive hybrids because they all like it up the butt and think its the hip thing to do because some tool in a magazine told them to do it. Is global warming happening? yes. Is it these 'evil' truck drivers who need to have their cars running in order to get to work? No. Vehicles are a very small part in a much bigger problem and to start blaming 'rednecks' for this is bullshit. Get off your high horse for 2 minutes and realize that you probably pollute more than they do by idling their trucks overnight. And to the guy who said he doesnt recycle, come into the 21st century and start embracing the whole limited resources concept.

Supa Dexta
01-30-2008, 04:40 AM
No deal.. I do burn most of my garbage, plastic included. I then take that charred lump of toxic shit and throw it in a river... Or mulch it up and feed it to small woodland creatures.. You see these two right here V ... That was a melted down Styrofoam cup they were eating..

canuckcarguy
01-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by TegLover

That is exactly the attitude that is hindering any sort of change to our environment whatsoever. Luckily only a very few think like you but unfortunately because of your ignorance we all have to suffer.

yep, it's a real rare attitude. That's why everybody else is driving to work in a scooter, and I'm the only one driving a truck.

Oops, I guess that's not the case - truck and SUV sales are through the roof, and most people, even if they profess an environmental sympathy, don't actually walk their environmental talk.

Is climate change occurring? well, there's some dispute, but let's say it is. Is man causing it through CO2 emissions? Even the much-touted UN Conference on Climate Change that all the warm-mongers quote is unsure on this matter, and in the fall admitted that their statistical methods were totally flawed, and the report's conclusions were very much in question. And even if humans are causing it, can we change that? Doubt it. Take a trip to China and then seriously ask if banning drive-throughs or taking the bus is really going to make any difference.

And answer me this question - if climate change is, in fact, man-made, then why is every other planet in the solar system also warming, and some of them faster than Earth? Gee, you think it's all the martians in their SUVs? General consensus among many climate experts is that sunflare activity has more to do with climate change than anything else, and I'm pretty sure driving a 4x4 isn't going to change that.

Redlyne_mr2
01-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy

yep, it's a real rare attitude. That's why everybody else is driving to work in a scooter, and I'm the only one driving a truck.

Oops, I guess that's not the case - truck and SUV sales are through the roof, and most people, even if they profess an environmental sympathy, don't actually walk their environmental talk.

Is climate change occurring? well, there's some dispute, but let's say it is. Is man causing it through CO2 emissions? Even the much-touted UN Conference on Climate Change that all the warm-mongers quote is unsure on this matter, and in the fall admitted that their statistical methods were totally flawed, and the report's conclusions were very much in question. And even if humans are causing it, can we change that? Doubt it. Take a trip to China and then seriously ask if banning drive-throughs or taking the bus is really going to make any difference.

And answer me this question - if climate change is, in fact, man-made, then why is every other planet in the solar system also warming, and some of them faster than Earth? Gee, you think it's all the martians in their SUVs? General consensus among many climate experts is that sunflare activity has more to do with climate change than anything else, and I'm pretty sure driving a 4x4 isn't going to change that.
Climate change or no climate change I dont want to be breathing in anymore exhaust gases than I have to because some redneck is afraid of being cold.

Masked Bandit
01-30-2008, 05:28 PM
So where's the OP......WHY do you want to leave it running all night?

forkdork
01-30-2008, 05:29 PM
And in other news, my 1.9L diesel started once again having been parked in -37 ambient weather (first try, didn't cycle glow plugs).

Strong battery + Strong starter = Win.

5hift
01-30-2008, 05:54 PM
To all you guys who are pissed because some guys leave their work trucks running all night ... you should contact southland transportation. I saw on the news that they leave the majority of their bus fleet running all night long because they cannot afford not having one start in the morning.

Imagine the waste and emission from a whole fleet of school buses running all night long.

Redlyne_mr2
01-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
To all you guys who are pissed because some guys leave their work trucks running all night ... you should contact southland transportation. I saw on the news that they leave the majority of their bus fleet running all night long because they cannot afford not having one start in the morning.

Imagine the waste and emission from a whole fleet of school buses running all night long.
yah that shouldnt be allowed, for some reason I thought there was a law against doing things like that.. perhaps its only in BC.