PDA

View Full Version : My Bimmer almost didn't start!

Pages : [1] 2

Bimmer88
01-28-2008, 10:17 AM
So basically parked it outside last night cause my sisters dinky lil honda civic owned my car and got the garage....

so... i went out this morning and started it and had to hold it so it would crank or turnover atleast... for a very long time... and once it did that my cabin smelt like gasloine... is that bad?? lol

If its bad I think I blew a fuel line?

Steve

EDIT:

Talked to my buddy at Calgary BMW he said it's just alil flooding of fuel due to the cold to get the engine started...

and no check engine light! YEH!

Anyone's Bimmer almost didn't start today?

misterrick
01-28-2008, 10:21 AM
the smell you noticed was all the fuel that didnt get burnt when you were turning it over without starting. nothing to worry about

you edited the OP before i was even done typing lol

Thaco
01-28-2008, 10:24 AM
your bimmer had a hard time starting in -30* temps? I do not believe you :bullshit:

SR240SX
01-28-2008, 10:27 AM
My pathy had lots of trouble starting aswell...everything is frozen it sounds like shit when i started it :thumbsdow

Evo prec
01-28-2008, 10:27 AM
yeah my M3 didnt start, have no idea why it didnt i guess i will just try to start it later today

benyl
01-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Maybe your battery is weak.

Thank God for attached garages!

the 335 started like it was 20 degrees outside! (only -5 in the garage).

It is parked in a covered outdoor garage now.... let see how it works after work.

Evo prec
01-28-2008, 10:34 AM
well i just killed the battery trying to start it so i will try later when i get a boost what a morning never letting someone take my spot on the garage again

pf0sh0
01-28-2008, 10:38 AM
same thing happened to my car, it was so fucking cold. the shifting felt so groggy, I had to warm it up for atleast 30 minutes to defrost it... it was out in the cold eysterday from 8am till 5pm untouched in the cold.

teggypimp95
01-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Yeah my Jetta was in my Garage. Started like a normal Day :). We will see when i go start it after work lol.

Bimmer88
01-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Evo prec
yeah my M3 didnt start, have no idea why it didnt i guess i will just try to start it later today

Dude that's harsh! lol hopefully it's ok.

And to misterrick thanks for the fast reply lol I noticed too! that I edited it before you posted haha.

Well gotta go to class and afterclass... of god... the long walk.

I swear its a 2 min walk and I feel like I have frost bite all over. Goodluck to everyone and safe driving!

Evo prec
01-28-2008, 10:46 AM
yesh i know its harsh hopefully everything is ok whatever probrally have to get it towed to bmw knowing my luck

blownz
01-28-2008, 10:48 AM
-31 in Edmonton this morning but plus 15 in the garage. :)

I still drove my suv this morning which was a good thing because I was pushing snow with the front bumper of my 06 Expedition with all the snow drifts on the service road by my work. I was the first set of tracks this morning at about 6:40 in the morning. lol

And I shoveled 3 times yesterday and then this morning and the pile of snow on the side of my driveway is about 6 feet high now. Did you guys get a ton of snow too in Calgary?

TegLover
01-28-2008, 10:51 AM
I got off work last night and started my bimmer and it smelled like gasoline as well, its normal and doesn't only happen to bmw's. Be glad your car started because there were 2 other cars in the parking lot just sitting there cranking haha cold starts FTL!

SNAATCH
01-28-2008, 10:54 AM
My 87 prelude started with no problems this morning. Didn't even have her plugged in. The clutch was super sticky and i could barely shift, but once she warmed up she performed like the dream she is!:poosie:

drtoohotty1
01-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by SR240SX
My pathy had lots of trouble starting aswell...everything is frozen it sounds like shit when i started it :thumbsdow

+1 lets hear for not wanting to get my weak battery replaced as well:thumbsdow

rage2
01-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Weaksauce!

20C in my garage, I had heat blasting out of the vents on my driveway! :rofl:

97'Scort
01-28-2008, 11:09 AM
To the guy who killed his battery, it's probably frozen by now. You'll need to get a heater on it or it won't hold a charge even if you boost it.

Evo prec
01-28-2008, 11:11 AM
thanks i will try that when i get home from school hopefully bobo can pull some magic and get it started

snowboard
01-28-2008, 11:26 AM
bmw suck at cold
my windoes are always fucking caked with frost when it gets this cold. its annoying.
well im out to see if mine will even start today haha

benyl
01-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Weaksauce!

20C in my garage, I had heat blasting out of the vents on my driveway! :rofl:

Haha, I am too cheap to get a garage heater!

I should get one...

rage2
01-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Haha, I am too cheap to get a garage heater!

I should get one...
It's a life changing piece of equipment lol. I dunno how I managed to survive all these years without one.

b_t
01-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Its a dream of mine to one day have a heated garage and a heated underground parking stall at work so I can show up to work in shorts and sandals when its -35 outside. When everybody stares at me I would just go "what?"

rage2
01-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by b_t
Its a dream of mine to one day have a heated garage and a heated underground parking stall at work so I can show up to work in shorts and sandals when its -35 outside. When everybody stares at me I would just go "what?"
I did that in 2002 as a bet. The entire winter I was in shorts and sandals. People sure look at you funny for a few months.

AyNaku
01-28-2008, 12:12 PM
yeah my CRV started like a charm but it was in the garage and now i started my car outside.....it's been outside for 4 hours,......
the car felt frozen. the start was slow......man -31 plus + -17 windchill does alot to a car......damn......thank god for remote start.....

benyl
01-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Cars are not affected by windchill. They are only affected by the ambient temperature.

AyNaku
01-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Yes they affect the car but your are right about the ambient temperature. Wind chill does affect machines (Cars), but only if they are at a temperature above that of the surrounding air. If you think i'm wrong.

here is the link and read

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF5/529.html

dr_jared88
01-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Cars are not affected by windchill. They are only affected by the ambient temperature.

not true at all. try parking your car facing into the wind, and away from the wind. you'll notice a big difference.

benyl
01-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by AyNaku
Yes they affect the car but your are right about the ambient temperature. Wind chill does affect machines (Cars), but only if they are at a temperature above that of the surrounding air. If you think i'm wrong.

here is the link and read

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF5/529.html

A block of iron or alum cannot get any colder than ambient. After a car is shut off, yes, it will cool faster if there is wind, but the block will not be -50 if the wind is blowing.

Originally posted by dr_jared88

not true at all. try parking your car facing into the wind, and away from the wind. you'll notice a big difference.

check out the link AyNaku posted:

If we were to take an engine block and install it on mounts in the middle of a field for the winter, it would make no difference in the temperature of that engine block if the wind blew or not. It would remain at the ambient temperature of the air surrounding it, whether or not the air was moving.

The only possible difference is if the engine oil or coolant does not completely cool to ambient the next time you start it. By parking it into the wind, since cooling is faster, the remaining heat might be gone. If sheltered, the oil/coolant might be at a higher temp when parked away or out of the wind.

qbnb
01-28-2008, 01:31 PM
My car started, but just barely. Pretty insane considering it was parked facing the wind on the road without being plugged in.
:thumbsup:

Hakkola
01-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by qbnb
My car started, but just barely. Pretty insane considering it was parked facing the wind on the road without being plugged in.

Translated - I don't read the thread before posting.

gtr34
01-28-2008, 01:52 PM
i have noticed some cars with cardboard infront of the grill, does the cardboard make any difference?

97'Scort
01-28-2008, 02:05 PM
^ It keeps some of the colder air from the radiator and helps your car heat up while driving.

blownz
01-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by b_t

My wife is at home with our baby and she goes shopping lots during the day in the winter to the downtown mall and parks in a heated parkade. Her and the baby always leave the house with no jacket and she thinks it is great.

The only important thing is to still have a jacket and gloves/hat in the car because if something happens like you get stuck/break down/collision you will want to be able to stay warm.

Team_Mclaren
01-28-2008, 02:41 PM
isnt that kidna fucking stupid because your thermostat isnt even open when its cold.

Thaco
01-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
isnt that kidna fucking stupid because your thermostat isnt even open when its cold.

my car's T-stat is 90* and after about 5-10 minutes of driving the car sits at 90* so i can assure you that the t-stat IS opening even in weather this cold.

AyNaku
01-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by blownz

My wife is at home with our baby and she goes shopping lots during the day in the winter to the downtown mall and parks in a heated parkade. Her and the baby always leave the house with no jacket and she thinks it is great.

The only important thing is to still have a jacket and gloves/hat in the car because if something happens like you get stuck/break down/collision you will want to be able to stay warm.

that's not very smart. Just in case of emergency atleast carry winter clothes in the car for the baby. if you wife doesn't want to wear warm clothes so be it. Just take care of baby....

Thaco
01-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by blownz

Originally posted by AyNaku

that's not very smart. Just in case of emergency atleast carry winter clothes in the car for the baby. if you wife doesn't want to wear warm clothes so be it. Just take care of baby....

+1 for reading the WHOLE post before you post a rude response.

qbnb
01-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Translated - I don't read the thread before posting.
Actually I did. The reason I mentioned the direction my car was facing is because of the snowdrift on my street. It had covered the entire front end of my car in snow (because the wind blew it in that direction). Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific.

Team_Mclaren
01-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

my car's T-stat is 90* and after about 5-10 minutes of driving the car sits at 90* so i can assure you that the t-stat IS opening even in weather this cold.

thats not what i meant, of course it'll heat up eventually, but the piece of cardboard wont do anything to warm up your engine anything faster.

blownz
01-28-2008, 04:30 PM

+1 for reading the WHOLE post before you post a rude response.

lol

Yeah, like I mentioned it is important to have warm clothes in the vehicle and my wife always has more than enough in the vehicle. She just likes the convience of not having to bundle up and then take it off once she gets to the mall. Baby stays happier and more comfortable so all is good.

benyl
01-28-2008, 04:38 PM

thats not what i meant, of course it'll heat up eventually, but the piece of cardboard wont do anything to warm up your engine anything faster.

But it will keep it warm while you are driving. Also, many vehicles that have that are old POS where the thermostat is stuck open!

Team_Mclaren
01-28-2008, 04:41 PM

But it will keep it warm while you are driving. Also, many vehicles that have that are old POS where the thermostat is stuck open!

well aside from the pos with its thermostat stuck open, when the temp drops back down when you're driving, the thermostat should close again to let the car warm back up. So isnt that kinda useless still?

gpomp
01-28-2008, 04:45 PM

well aside from the pos with its thermostat stuck open, when the temp drops back down when you're driving, the thermostat should close again to let the car warm back up. So isnt that kinda useless still? most people don't know how thermostats work...

rmk
01-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by SNAATCH
My 87 prelude started with no problems this morning. Didn't even have her plugged in. The clutch was super sticky and i could barely shift, but once she warmed up she performed like the dream she is!:poosie:

:rofl: My 87 always starts in any weather as well. We are living the dream.

gpomp
01-28-2008, 05:06 PM
team bmw, your bmw is a piece of shit. my civic starts every time.

infected
01-28-2008, 05:07 PM
All the Benz's were fine today, only the Bimmer died. :zzz:

97'Scort
01-28-2008, 05:16 PM

well aside from the pos with its thermostat stuck open, when the temp drops back down when you're driving, the thermostat should close again to let the car warm back up. So isnt that kinda useless still?

If you've ever driven a POS old F150 farm truck, that's where the cardboard comes in handy :) If the t-stat stuck we'd just take it out and the cardboard would keep it from cooling too much.

I've also seen cardboard work well in cars that have t-stats that open and close frequently. Helps even out the cooling. My buddy's old Corolla used to do this (open close open close) every 5 minutes if it was less than -10 out, it was distracting keeping an eye on the thermostat gauge. So in went some cardboard with zip ties, and problem solved.

Thaco
01-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort

If you've ever driven a POS old F150 farm truck, that's where the cardboard comes in handy :) If the t-stat stuck we'd just take it out and the cardboard would keep it from cooling too much.

I've also seen cardboard work well in cars that have t-stats that open and close frequently. Helps even out the cooling. My buddy's old Corolla used to do this (open close open close) every 5 minutes if it was less than -10 out, it was distracting keeping an eye on the thermostat gauge. So in went some cardboard with zip ties, and problem solved.

It's a shame that for a $10 part that people will go to such trouble to avoid changing such a cheap, and usually easily positioned part.

rc2002
01-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by b_t

The novelty wears off pretty fast. I've been doing that for the last few years and I usually get some pretty bad cabin fever.

Plus, some office buildings get broken water mains when it's that cold outside. I've been forced outside without a coat on a couple of occasions.

JAYMEZ
01-28-2008, 05:48 PM
M3 started fine , only +22 in the garage :rofl:

PrezeS_PL
01-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Both of our bimmers started this morning with no problems, 328 was parked outside (no plug on 328), started like every other day. Synthetic dose help a lot.
For those that use mineral oils - make sure your battery is top notch as your oil gets very very thick and makes it difficult to turn the engine.
I'm on my 4th bimmer and I can say one thing, heating sucks compared to VW. Seats in passat got so hot I had to turn it down to 2 or 3 from 4 - in bmw it’s only so so and takes quite a while to warm up.
Even my Mk II golf could out blow any of the bimmers I had owned with hot air, hope that the E92 has a better heating. Maybe I should just clean up the garage. :D

97'Scort
01-28-2008, 06:04 PM
It's a shame that for a $10 part that people will go to such trouble to avoid changing such a cheap, and usually easily positioned part.

The Corolla had a new t-stat, it just had an...overly efficient radiator?

As for the farm trucks, whatever works :)

snowboard
01-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by PrezeS_PL
Both of our bimmers started this morning with no problems, 328 was parked outside (no plug on 328), started like every other day. Synthetic dose help a lot.
For those that use mineral oils - make sure your battery is top notch as your oil gets very very thick and makes it difficult to turn the engine.
I'm on my 4th bimmer and I can say one thing, heating sucks compared to VW. Seats in passat got so hot I had to turn it down to 2 or 3 from 4 - in bmw it’s only so so and takes quite a while to warm up.
Even my Mk II golf could out blow any of the bimmers I had owned with hot air, hope that the E92 has a better heating. Maybe I should just clean up the garage. :D

Haha, my seats heat up like MAD.. and the heat is great too.. but the heat doesnt hit the side windows enough and they are always iced out like nelly.

ercchry
01-28-2008, 06:17 PM
had the old boat running at 12am last night and went to start it at 7:30 and no dice, plugged it in when i got home from work let it sit for an hour and then hooked up the battery charger and still no go... i will try again in an hour

how do you know if your block heater works?

snowboard
01-28-2008, 06:20 PM
turn your key and check your engine temp? shouldn't be rock bottom..

ercchry
01-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by snowboard
turn your key and check your engine temp? shouldn't be rock bottom..

hmmm it still is, how long does it take to warm up (its a v6 4.4 litters of oil)

Weapon_R
01-28-2008, 06:55 PM
You can hear it hissing when its working. Listen carefully to your engine bay

Thaco
01-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

hmmm it still is, how long does it take to warm up (its a v6 4.4 litters of oil)

shouldn't take more than 30 minutes of idling, 15 minutes driving... you can easily tell if your tstat is stuck open by watching it until the temp gets off the bottom line, then feel the top rad hose, if it's warm, then your tstat is stuck open, if it's not, then you should be fine.

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-28-2008, 09:44 PM

shouldn't take more than 30 minutes of idling, 15 minutes driving... you can easily tell if your tstat is stuck open by watching it until the temp gets off the bottom line, then feel the top rad hose, if it's warm, then your tstat is stuck open, if it's not, then you should be fine.

He's talking about his block heater...

Way to read the last post...

Haha I love all the flaming in this thread

stevo 27
01-28-2008, 10:15 PM
my mustang didnt start no chance in hell :(

j0nblayz
01-28-2008, 10:24 PM
my x5 4.4i didn't start today either, ended up taking the wife's car to work. Tried starting again when i got home, ended up killing the battery, jumped it and started again with no luck. any ideas??

97'Scort
01-28-2008, 11:40 PM
If batteries are dead, they're frozen by now and won't hold a charge. Boost it if you can and get a heater on the battery along with a charger.

vietdood
01-29-2008, 12:15 AM
5w-30 and 0w-30 are you're friend when it comes to winter

Bimmer88
01-29-2008, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by j0nblayz
my x5 4.4i didn't start today either, ended up taking the wife's car to work. Tried starting again when i got home, ended up killing the battery, jumped it and started again with no luck. any ideas??

Yeh park it inside if possible, and get a heater to the battery and just let it sit there to warm up and then try charging the battery. I would never ever suggest you to boost or try boosting another vehicle with a Bimmer... with all those sensative electronic equipment you never know what can cause it to fry... so yeh. Goodluck

Also I have Mobil 1 5w30 in my car... and it still had a hella hard time to start this morning lol. Well supposed to be -40 tonight and hopefully in the morning my baby can start >< or else I'm bussing it.

Steve

benyl
01-29-2008, 01:12 AM
hahahahahhahaha. You can boost a BMW. come on.

Team_Mclaren
01-29-2008, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Bimmer88

Yeh park it inside if possible, and get a heater to the battery and just let it sit there to warm up and then try charging the battery. I would never ever suggest you to boost or try boosting another vehicle with a Bimmer... with all those sensative electronic equipment you never know what can cause it to fry... so yeh. Goodluck
Steve

so what would you do when your battery lose charge overnight? a new battery every time? man you are amazing:banghead:

snowboard
01-29-2008, 10:27 AM
fuck sake
my heater doesnt blow hot unless im driving down the highway??
anyone know why? its never been gay like that before..

Thaco
01-29-2008, 10:29 AM
fuck sake

your thermostat is probably stuck open, or your coolant is low.

Weapon_R
01-29-2008, 10:33 AM
fuck sake

haha BMW thermostats :thumbsdow

snowboard
01-29-2008, 10:36 AM
damn i shall investigate my thermostat tonight. i know its no tthe fluid level.
i thought thats what it was. thanks thaco

Bimmer88
01-29-2008, 10:37 AM

your thermostat is probably stuck open, or your coolant is low.

When you say the thermo is stuck open is that the coolant guage? on the right? in the BImmers... lol

Cause mine was pointing at the "Red Zone" and I swear to god my engine couldn't of gotten that hot in that little of time sitting outside for 3 hrs.

And then I stopped on the side of the road... turned off my car and let it sit for like 10 seconds and turned it back on and my coolant guage was reading normal hehe, hope nothing broke.

ALSO Team_Mclaren, no its just I wouldn't want to boost the battery with the positve and negative plugs on :D I'd take out the battery and charge it lol...

I'm just concerned that if you boost a Bimmer the chips and sensative electronic equipment might fry... Cause I've heard stories where people's car electronics wouldn't work after well I guess that's what fuses are for... lol but I haven't even looked at my Bimmer to see if there are any fuses...

snowboard
01-29-2008, 10:39 AM

lol but I haven't even looked at my Bimmer to see if there are any fuses...

man you just gotta stop haha...

Bimmer88
01-29-2008, 10:40 AM

man you just gotta stop haha...

Dude! I'm serious lol... Im not touching the damn car its like a girl... soooo god damn sophisticated!

Schwa
01-29-2008, 10:40 AM
BMW owners ARE fucking stupid! :rofl:

Bimmer88
01-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Ugh... I'm stopping now. lol Just gonna get pwned again... like the last 5 times.

Thaco
01-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Ugh... I'm stopping now. lol Just gonna get pwned again... like the last 5 times. :thumbsup:

Too bad you didn't think about that just before you started this thread.

97'Scort
01-29-2008, 10:56 AM
You'd better start touching it or it's going to break down. Just like the thermostat getting stuck closed like you described, and overheating the engine. You were probably ten seconds away from blowing all your radiator lines off.

Team_Mclaren
01-29-2008, 11:32 AM

When you say the thermo is stuck open is that the coolant guage? on the right? in the BImmers... lol

Cause mine was pointing at the &quot;Red Zone&quot; and I swear to god my engine couldn't of gotten that hot in that little of time sitting outside for 3 hrs.

And then I stopped on the side of the road... turned off my car and let it sit for like 10 seconds and turned it back on and my coolant guage was reading normal hehe, hope nothing broke.

Originally posted by gpomp
most people don't know how thermostats work...

:banghead:

benyl
01-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Schwa
BMW owners ARE fucking stupid! :rofl:

Yes. Good thing I own an STi.

lint
01-29-2008, 12:43 PM

so what would you do when your battery lose charge overnight? a new battery every time? man you are amazingly stupid:banghead:

fixed

Evo prec
01-29-2008, 03:38 PM
So $60 later and i finally got my M3 started but now i have a check engine light..... :thumbsdow any body got any ideas ?

Thaco
01-29-2008, 03:42 PM
So $60 later and i finally got my M3 started but now i have a check engine light..... :thumbsdow any body got any ideas ? disconnect the battery for 30 seconds to clear the light... chances are it won't come back, but if it does, then go to auto value and they'll tell you the code it's throwing and what it means.

97'Scort
01-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Bimmer's don't clear check engine or airbag with battery disconnect :( Only hope is to get it read or find someone with the Peake tool.

Weapon_R
01-29-2008, 03:51 PM
So $60 later and i finally got my M3 started but now i have a check engine light..... :thumbsdow any body got any ideas ?

Drive it for a few days, it might just go away by itself.

benyl
01-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Start it and stop it about 10 times. If the problem is gone, the light will go off.

freshprince1
01-29-2008, 05:23 PM
same thing happened with my coworkers X3 here at work yesterday, we towed it in the shop overnight and it started this morning, I think it might be the fuel line freezing?

97'Scort
01-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Back on the topic of garage heaters, how many people are actually interested? We've installed one of these in my grandpa's garage, plus our new garage where the boat and my dad's summer car live.

http://www3.modine.com/v2portal/page/portal/modine/modineMarketsDefault/modine_com/markets/building_HVAC/market_level_3_content_013.htm

If there's enough interest on these, the Edmonton supplier is an old family friend. I might be able to get a group buy going if there's enough of you!

Intent_Fire
01-29-2008, 05:31 PM
yea, my rsx started pretty quick but it sounded like garbage.

Evo prec
01-29-2008, 08:09 PM
well found the problem its the ignition coils bmw said they probrally went from the cold and that its recalled on all M3s

j0nblayz
01-29-2008, 08:54 PM
so i tried to boost again today, did the usual hook it up to my wife's car and let it charge for about 15min, then tried to start the x5, it turns but will not catch. Eventually the x5 battery died again after like the 4th try. So since 97'scort said my battery will not charge since it frozen, i decided to buy a new battery today. Got an exide battery from part source, never heard of exide but thought its gotta be better then the dead battery. Anyways, it was way too cold by the time i got the battery, so i decided to boost the car from the new battery and also from the wife's car, didn't know if this would work or not, but didn't even help. Car just turned again and did not catch. Would boosting from a new battery work? im hoping its warmer tomorrow and gonna try again. If its warm enough, i'm gonna swap out the battery to the new one. Hopefully the new battery works!!

scat19
01-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Maybe your battery is weak.

Thank God for attached garages!

It is parked in a covered outdoor garage now.... let see how it works after work.

Its always 20degrees for my car lol, underground parking :)

97'Scort
01-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Wow, that's rough. Get the new battery inside and on a charger and hopefully she goes!

so i tried to boost again today, did the usual hook it up to my wife's car and let it charge for about 15min, then tried to start the x5, it turns but will not catch. Eventually the x5 battery died again after like the 4th try. So since 97'scort said my battery will not charge since it frozen, i decided to buy a new battery today. Got an exide battery from part source, never heard of exide but thought its gotta be better then the dead battery. Anyways, it was way too cold by the time i got the battery, so i decided to boost the car from the new battery and also from the wife's car, didn't know if this would work or not, but didn't even help. Car just turned again and did not catch. Would boosting from a new battery work? im hoping its warmer tomorrow and gonna try again. If its warm enough, i'm gonna swap out the battery to the new one. Hopefully the new battery works!!

TegLover
01-29-2008, 11:56 PM

Dude! I'm serious lol... Im not touching the damn car its like a girl... soooo god damn sophisticated!

HAHAHA this virgin kid is hilarious.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

benyl
01-30-2008, 12:15 AM

Sounds like it isn't getting fuel. You might have no choice but to wait until it warms up.

j0nblayz
01-30-2008, 07:54 AM
you guys think i did any harm by trying to crank so many times??

TegLover
01-30-2008, 10:03 AM

cold starts are the most harsh for the engine internals so yes you are right it may have done some harm but nothing you would probably notice though, maybe in the long run. There really isn't much oil going to the cylinder walls or even the head in this weather by cranking continuously. If i were you i'd wait a bit before trying again. Your fuel pump might even be frozen.

autosm
01-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by TegLover

cold starts are the most harsh for the engine internals so yes you are right it may have done some harm but nothing you would probably notice though, maybe in the long run. There really isn't much oil going to the cylinder walls or even the head in this weather by cranking continuously. If i were you i'd wait a bit before trying again. Your fuel pump might even be frozen.

your fuel pump might be frozen :rofl: :rofl:

Sounds like you are real shooting some diagnostic advice from your ass.

Its flooded and will start when it warms up out side.

Thaco
01-30-2008, 11:57 AM

don't worry about it, put in a bottle of gas line antifreeze... if the car's got a block heater plug it in, let it sit for a couple of hours so the block heater can warm the block and the gas lien antifreeze can make its way through the system, then try boosting it again, do not touch the gas, you do not want to flood it... that will just create even more of a headache.

And when you're boosting it, leave the cables hooked up and the other car running while you crank on yours... you should only have to wait a minute or 2 before there's enough juice to crank it over.

benyl
01-30-2008, 12:01 PM
BMWs don't have block heaters.

Mohawk 94 FTMFW!

j0nblayz
01-30-2008, 12:07 PM
bmw's dont have block heaters, im guessing i might have flooded it since i was pressing the gas pedal alot during the crank. Suppose to be warmer today, high of -17, so i'm gonna swap out the battery with the new one after work, and try to crank again. Fuel line antifreeze will probably not help i'm guessing since if i dump it, it will just sit on the top since my tank is currently full. Would -17 be warm enough for the fuel line to thaw out?