PDA

View Full Version : Suspension overhaul

97'Scort
01-28-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm doing a suspension overhaul this spring. So far, I've ordered:

- Koni Sport Kit (springs and shocks)
- Rogue Engineering RSM's
- Meyle front control arms & ball joints
- Powerflex urethane bushings (front control arms, rear trailing arms, rear subframe, swaybars)
- Rear swaybar endlinks (oem)
- Spring pads
- Front shock mounts

Now here's the question. I'm wondering whether I need to be doing rear subframe and trailing arm reinforcement while I'm doing this. I know some later models of E36 had the rear subframe already done. Are these things essential? Starting to talk about tearing out gas tanks and diff's to get this done adds a ton of work. I don't plan on tracking this car, just doing a suspension refresh.

Also, my drop will be 40mm front and 20mm rear. At what point do I need to worry about camber/castor?

Clanche
01-28-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure about the subframe, i've heard of that issue before but I'm not too clear on it.

I did a suspension overhaul very similar to yours last year, including a reinforcement kit (prevents the rearshocks wearing down your frame): http://www.understeer.com/onlinestore-suspension.shtml

After using it for a year, I would recommend going with a coilover kit. By the time you buy and install everything, you are gonna be looking at a similar price tag (maybe 500 for the coilovers). I love my current handling but a spring + shock setup can be a rough ride. Most coilovers will have a dualshock (big one, with a small one below) which will allow for a varied "push-back" depending on the amount of force applied. Better for the track, and much easy to live with in the city.

Good luck.

97'Scort
01-28-2008, 12:44 PM
I deliberately didn't go with a coilover. I'm getting the Koni sport kit for $650 USD, which is 40% off Koni's price. I don't want track suspension, I want everyday good quality stuff.

teggypimp95
01-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Your gonna handel like a Maniac

97'Scort
01-28-2008, 12:49 PM
^ That's what I'm hoping for :)

Tuner1
01-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
I'm getting the Koni sport kit for $650 USD, which is 40% off Koni's price. I don't want track suspension, I want everyday good quality stuff.

Too bad....I have the kit for less money right here in Calgary :)

Anyway, I am sure that you will enjoy it as a daily driver kit.

Rob

scat19
01-29-2008, 11:43 PM
Koni Sport 1130 is what I have, dumped my car right down hehe

97'Scort
01-30-2008, 12:17 AM
^ Yeah, after talking to Rob, I cancelled my Koni order and switched to the new H&R Touring Cup Kit. Just waiting on a final price with shipping :) Can't wait!

97'Scort
02-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Update:

H&R Touring Cup Kit and Ground Control RSM's are somewhere between here and Calgary, thanks Rob! I'm hoping to have them by tomorrow.

The rest of the stuff is somewhere between here and Virginia :)

On another note, I finally had the shop to myself over the weekend and took the opportunity to do some work on the car! I had no heat all winter and the car would not warm up at all. Back in November I got a new thermostat, aluminum housing, belts and fan clutch.

So when I got the old t-stat out, it wasn't stuck open as I thought it would be. I tested it, and it was opening at 20*C. In went the new 88*C Wahler and it heats up perfectly now, even in the -40 windchill we had yesterday :D Needless to say, I'm very happy right now.

And I'm also happy I replaced the belts, as my main drive belt had a crack that would have broken very soon.

AllGoNoShow
02-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Post pictures after!
Your definitely going to like it.

97'Scort
02-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Oh I will :) I don't forsee this stuff going in until late March-April sometime though. I'll drop it once the snow's pretty much gone.